GIVE Tanzania Volunteer Excursion from Zanzibar to Kilimanjaro

GIVE’s Tanzania Program takes you from the tropical paradise of Zanzibar Island to the wild plains of mainland Tanzania. Volunteer in Tanzania alongside local residents to build critical infrastructure, teach fundamental English lessons and support the Tengeru Women’s Co-op; all while finding time to swim with wild dolphins in the Indian Ocean, sail over crystal clear waters, snorkel amongst vibrant coral reefs and embark on a 2-day safari through the African savannah.

After your Tanzania volunteer trip ends, climb Mount Kilimanjaro with GIVE and summit the tallest freestanding mountain in the world!

• Exploring amazing beachers, cultures and wildlife
  • Visit Junzani Monkey Forest
  • Get a chance to see the BIG 5
  • Implement and organize school projects

Trystin

The Greatest Time of My Life

My trip to Zanzibar was the most incredible thing I have ever done. I loved every aspect of my work in Zanzibar - construction, teaching, relaxing on the beach, making dinner with locals, painting, learning Swahili. Every single thing we did on Zanzibar created a profound impact on me and my heart. There is a magic to Zanzibar that I have trouble explaining - all I can say is that you need to experience it for yourself. I am forever grateful for GIVE and this trip, and I am forever changed by my experience.

Dane

Review for GIVE Tanzania Volunteer Trip

To be honest this trip exceeded my expectations. GIVE did a fantastic job of keeping us busy with impactful projects and giving us a chance to really see how we were improving and helping the village of Kairo. I enjoyed all of the education, construction, and permaculture projects we worked on, with the permaculture projects being my favorite! All of our guides were awesome and made the trip that much better! The local people were so loving and accepting of us and just seemed very happy. This trip was life changing and the relationships I made with other people on the trip will last a lifetime!

I had such a wonderful trip with an amazing group that I cannot think of anything to improve!
Rebecca

GO HERE!!!

The island of Zanzibar and the village Kairo are such incredible experiences. Not once at any point did I ever feel unsafe, unhappy, or unsatisfied with my experience during this trip. The people you meet along the way are AMAZING, I have truly never felt more welcomed into someone else’s community. This trip meant so much to me, and it will definitely stay in my heart forever! The guides the at were with us on the trip were so knowledgeable about the area, the people, the culture, and more. You should definitely consider going on this trip, it will change your life!!

Go into it with an open mind. It is most likely very different from what you are used to at home, but being out of your comfort zone is where the most growth occurs! Take it all in, the time will fly by so fast because you’re having such an amazing trip!
Emma

Already want to go back

Going on this trip truly changed my outlook on life, as silly as that sounds, it rings true. I would recommend this trip to anyone that is at all interested. Since I have been home, I know that I have annoyed my friends and family with my nonstop chatter about this trip. But, the stories and conversations are countless. Be ready to fully immerse yourself in the culture and learn as much as you can. My favorite part of the trip was being able to learn from the locals. These people have a huge part of my heart. If you are able to go to Tanzania, do it!!!! For the more adventurous, adding on Kilimanjaro is 100% worth it. I have never done something so mentally challenging but, summiting made it all worth it. The beauty that is all-surrounding in Tanzania is breathtaking. Make sure to take everything in!

Take in every second you are given on your trip to be completely present. The trip will be over before you know it and you will have to part ways with your new-found family, so make sure you show all the love and energy you have!
Jenny

GIVE Tanzania

My trip with GIVE to Tanzania was absolutely life-changing and I highly recommend this amazing experience! Throughout the whole trip, I felt safe and comfortable. There were never any problems with transportation, meals, or accomadations. Everyone from the communities in Kairo and Arusha, both the local and non-local guides, as well as the other volunteers were extremely supportive, motivating, and kind. Arriving in Kairo, I felt so welcomed by all the smiling faces and greetings from the locals. We had excellent accommodations and superb meals. I loved waking up to the extraordinary view of the beach and ocean every morning and watching beautiful sunrises. At night, I was surprised by how many stars I could see. On the beach, in the village, and at school, we were greeted by the most adorable kids who always had a smile or hug for us that always brightened our day. The students, of all ages, were so intelligent and eager to learn. I had never done construction before this, but I am very glad that I pushed myself to do so. Construction included lots of cement, sweat, and hard work as well as so much fun, motivation, music, and great talks while working. Both the education and construction projects were so rewarding and you could really see change being made. Everyday I spent with GIVE assured me more and more that I made the right decision to travel with this amazing organization. GIVE is very environmentally friendly, culturally aware, and the communities we volunteered in were so thrilled to have us there. There were also a couple adventure days which included swimming with wild dolphins, snorkeling over a coral reef, and a safari. These experiences were also spectacular. We were able to see such beautiful animals and environments while supporting good groups who instead of poaching the animals for profit, are able to make local businesses by showing others the beauty of these animals. I cannot recommend GIVE enough: you make lifelong friends, learn about different cultures, push yourself and prove to yourself what you are capable of by stepping outside of your comfort zone, and come back a better person, ready to share the knowledge and stories you've gained and keep making an impact.

Be open, try new things, and step outside of your comfort zone. Get to know the other volunteers, the guides, and the locals in the community because they are the best, most genuine people ever!
Cassidy

GIVE Tanzania

GIVE Tanzania was the best two weeks of my life. I learned more than I could have ever imagined about the culture, other people, and myself. It was truly life-changing. I would recommend this to anyone who is looking for an experience that will change them for the better. It is weeks full of adventure, friendship, joy, learning, laughter, volunteering, and making connections with people that will last a lifetime. You will leave with a feeling you've never felt, and a feeling that will never leave. The locals in Kairo made me feel so welcome in their village and the connections I formed with them will forever be treasured. If you are considering going on this trip, please do it! You will have the absolute time of your life. Get ready to leave your comfort zone, and never want to return to it. You will grow so much. I will forever be grateful for this trip.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Honestly, the most nerve-racking moment of this trip was seeing it come to an end and coming to the realization that I was going home. I was so nervous to leave because I truly felt at home there, and I was scared that I would feel different back in the US. I overcame this by recognizing that I can still carry this wonderful feeling with me forever.
Michael

Choose GIVE!

The GIVE Tanzania program was hands down the best experience of my life. From the moment we landed in Dar es Salaam, the entire GIVE staff was incredibly welcoming and made every volunteer feel at home half-way across the world. The program itself was extremely organized and provided the opportunity for volunteers to teach English and work on infrastructure on the amazing island of Zanzibar. It is very apparent GIVE has taken strides to build lasting connections in the village we stayed in. In addition, volunteers had the opportunity to swim with dolphins, sail in the Indian Ocean, embark on a two-day safari, and climb Mt. Kilimanjaro. I would recommend GIVE to anyone who is looking to expand their world view and make a lasting difference. Thank you to John and the rest of the GIVE staff!

There is much I would change about the program. The entire GIVE staff was professional and safety was priority number one!
Michael

Greatly Impacted My Life

When I first signed up for GIVE, I was excited knowing I'd be given the chance to see another culture and volunteer some of my time. Now, after returning home and reflecting on the trip, I can truly say that we all were fully welcomed and immersed in Zanzibar's and Arusha's culture and that the time we volunteered made an impact we could see. It was all so amazing and far exceeded what I had been hoping for. Working alongside the amazing locals in the classroom and in construction was inspiring and by far the highlight of my trip, even over the excursions we went on. Especially because you had a chance to not only work with them, but to hangout and talk with them after and developed a true friendship.
Further, all of the guides we had (local and non-local) were incredible. They were eager to make you feel comfortable with what you were doing and just plain fun to be around. The staff at the restaurant were very personable. They were happy to keep us feed with plenty of DELICIOUS food every single meal of every day. The staff at the accommodations in both Zanzibar and Arusha were also so great at making sure our rooms were kept up and we were happy. They were always smiling and very welcoming. The best part was that these people felt more like friends than staff to me by the end of the trip, so everything they did for us felt personal.
Lastly, the excursion days were absolutely incredible. They are moments that are a chance of a lifetime and wouldn't be possible, again, without the help of the locals and guides. I learned so much about their culture, the value of community, and even my life. I didn't know what to expect going there, and I was a little uneasy about it all. However, once I was there and allowed myself to be fully immersed in the trip and the culture around me, I never wanted to leave; honest word. I simply can't wait to go again with GIVE and I would tell anyone who has the means to go and make a difference on the world.

My first advice, to those even considering this trip but may be worried about the money, is to not be! Get out there and do whatever you can to fund-raise! People will be more than happy to help if you tell them the causes the money is going towards, which I can honestly say from seeing, it goes towards a lot of helpful things. Also, if you're a college student, see if your campus has a GIVE club, because they will help with fundraising as well! I'm not afraid to say that I used a lot of what I had to go here and I managed just fine when I got home. The experience is worth every cent of my money.
Next, to those going on the trip already, the only advice I have is to take advantage of every minute you are over there and immerse yourself entirely in the culture. Some advice we got before going was to leave your phone/camera behind for the first few days and just be in the moment; DO THIS! Being worried about pictures instantly takes away from creating bonds with the locals and the land. Don't be timid with anyone, including the guides, the staff, the locals, anyone! They are all excited that you're there and to be apart of your personal experience. Lastly, remember why you're there. GIVE back to the community and show your appreciation for everything they provide you with, it won't be an overlooked gesture to them.