GIVE Tanzania Volunteer Excursion from Zanzibar to Kilimanjaro

English lessons
English lessons
Kilimanjaro Summit
Kilimanjaro Summit

GIVE’s Tanzania Program takes you from the tropical paradise of Zanzibar Island to the wild plains of mainland Tanzania. Volunteer in Tanzania alongside local residents to build critical infrastructure, teach fundamental English lessons and support the Tengeru Women’s Co-op; all while finding time to swim with wild dolphins in the Indian Ocean, sail over crystal clear waters, snorkel amongst vibrant coral reefs and embark on a 2-day safari through the African savannah.

After your Tanzania volunteer trip ends, climb Mount Kilimanjaro with GIVE and summit the tallest freestanding mountain in the world!

• Exploring amazing beachers, cultures and wildlife
  • Visit Junzani Monkey Forest
  • Get a chance to see the BIG 5
  • Implement and organize school projects

2020 Trip Dates are Here!

Check out our new 2020 dates and our newest location, Vietnam!

Emma

Already want to go back

Going on this trip truly changed my outlook on life, as silly as that sounds, it rings true. I would recommend this trip to anyone that is at all interested. Since I have been home, I know that I have annoyed my friends and family with my nonstop chatter about this trip. But, the stories and conversations are countless. Be ready to fully immerse yourself in the culture and learn as much as you can. My favorite part of the trip was being able to learn from the locals. These people have a huge part of my heart. If you are able to go to Tanzania, do it!!!! For the more adventurous, adding on Kilimanjaro is 100% worth it. I have never done something so mentally challenging but, summiting made it all worth it. The beauty that is all-surrounding in Tanzania is breathtaking. Make sure to take everything in!

Take in every second you are given on your trip to be completely present. The trip will be over before you know it and you will have to part ways with your new-found family, so make sure you show all the love and energy you have!
Jenny

GIVE Tanzania

My trip with GIVE to Tanzania was absolutely life-changing and I highly recommend this amazing experience! Throughout the whole trip, I felt safe and comfortable. There were never any problems with transportation, meals, or accomadations. Everyone from the communities in Kairo and Arusha, both the local and non-local guides, as well as the other volunteers were extremely supportive, motivating, and kind. Arriving in Kairo, I felt so welcomed by all the smiling faces and greetings from the locals. We had excellent accommodations and superb meals. I loved waking up to the extraordinary view of the beach and ocean every morning and watching beautiful sunrises. At night, I was surprised by how many stars I could see. On the beach, in the village, and at school, we were greeted by the most adorable kids who always had a smile or hug for us that always brightened our day. The students, of all ages, were so intelligent and eager to learn. I had never done construction before this, but I am very glad that I pushed myself to do so. Construction included lots of cement, sweat, and hard work as well as so much fun, motivation, music, and great talks while working. Both the education and construction projects were so rewarding and you could really see change being made. Everyday I spent with GIVE assured me more and more that I made the right decision to travel with this amazing organization. GIVE is very environmentally friendly, culturally aware, and the communities we volunteered in were so thrilled to have us there. There were also a couple adventure days which included swimming with wild dolphins, snorkeling over a coral reef, and a safari. These experiences were also spectacular. We were able to see such beautiful animals and environments while supporting good groups who instead of poaching the animals for profit, are able to make local businesses by showing others the beauty of these animals. I cannot recommend GIVE enough: you make lifelong friends, learn about different cultures, push yourself and prove to yourself what you are capable of by stepping outside of your comfort zone, and come back a better person, ready to share the knowledge and stories you've gained and keep making an impact.

Be open, try new things, and step outside of your comfort zone. Get to know the other volunteers, the guides, and the locals in the community because they are the best, most genuine people ever!
Cassidy

GIVE Tanzania

GIVE Tanzania was the best two weeks of my life. I learned more than I could have ever imagined about the culture, other people, and myself. It was truly life-changing. I would recommend this to anyone who is looking for an experience that will change them for the better. It is weeks full of adventure, friendship, joy, learning, laughter, volunteering, and making connections with people that will last a lifetime. You will leave with a feeling you've never felt, and a feeling that will never leave. The locals in Kairo made me feel so welcome in their village and the connections I formed with them will forever be treasured. If you are considering going on this trip, please do it! You will have the absolute time of your life. Get ready to leave your comfort zone, and never want to return to it. You will grow so much. I will forever be grateful for this trip.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Honestly, the most nerve-racking moment of this trip was seeing it come to an end and coming to the realization that I was going home. I was so nervous to leave because I truly felt at home there, and I was scared that I would feel different back in the US. I overcame this by recognizing that I can still carry this wonderful feeling with me forever.
Michael

Choose GIVE!

The GIVE Tanzania program was hands down the best experience of my life. From the moment we landed in Dar es Salaam, the entire GIVE staff was incredibly welcoming and made every volunteer feel at home half-way across the world. The program itself was extremely organized and provided the opportunity for volunteers to teach English and work on infrastructure on the amazing island of Zanzibar. It is very apparent GIVE has taken strides to build lasting connections in the village we stayed in. In addition, volunteers had the opportunity to swim with dolphins, sail in the Indian Ocean, embark on a two-day safari, and climb Mt. Kilimanjaro. I would recommend GIVE to anyone who is looking to expand their world view and make a lasting difference. Thank you to John and the rest of the GIVE staff!

There is much I would change about the program. The entire GIVE staff was professional and safety was priority number one!
Michael

Greatly Impacted My Life

When I first signed up for GIVE, I was excited knowing I'd be given the chance to see another culture and volunteer some of my time. Now, after returning home and reflecting on the trip, I can truly say that we all were fully welcomed and immersed in Zanzibar's and Arusha's culture and that the time we volunteered made an impact we could see. It was all so amazing and far exceeded what I had been hoping for. Working alongside the amazing locals in the classroom and in construction was inspiring and by far the highlight of my trip, even over the excursions we went on. Especially because you had a chance to not only work with them, but to hangout and talk with them after and developed a true friendship.
Further, all of the guides we had (local and non-local) were incredible. They were eager to make you feel comfortable with what you were doing and just plain fun to be around. The staff at the restaurant were very personable. They were happy to keep us feed with plenty of DELICIOUS food every single meal of every day. The staff at the accommodations in both Zanzibar and Arusha were also so great at making sure our rooms were kept up and we were happy. They were always smiling and very welcoming. The best part was that these people felt more like friends than staff to me by the end of the trip, so everything they did for us felt personal.
Lastly, the excursion days were absolutely incredible. They are moments that are a chance of a lifetime and wouldn't be possible, again, without the help of the locals and guides. I learned so much about their culture, the value of community, and even my life. I didn't know what to expect going there, and I was a little uneasy about it all. However, once I was there and allowed myself to be fully immersed in the trip and the culture around me, I never wanted to leave; honest word. I simply can't wait to go again with GIVE and I would tell anyone who has the means to go and make a difference on the world.

My first advice, to those even considering this trip but may be worried about the money, is to not be! Get out there and do whatever you can to fund-raise! People will be more than happy to help if you tell them the causes the money is going towards, which I can honestly say from seeing, it goes towards a lot of helpful things. Also, if you're a college student, see if your campus has a GIVE club, because they will help with fundraising as well! I'm not afraid to say that I used a lot of what I had to go here and I managed just fine when I got home. The experience is worth every cent of my money.
Next, to those going on the trip already, the only advice I have is to take advantage of every minute you are over there and immerse yourself entirely in the culture. Some advice we got before going was to leave your phone/camera behind for the first few days and just be in the moment; DO THIS! Being worried about pictures instantly takes away from creating bonds with the locals and the land. Don't be timid with anyone, including the guides, the staff, the locals, anyone! They are all excited that you're there and to be apart of your personal experience. Lastly, remember why you're there. GIVE back to the community and show your appreciation for everything they provide you with, it won't be an overlooked gesture to them.
Devyn

GO ON THIS TRIP!!!

My trip to Tanzania with GIVE was nothing short of amazing. I cannot begin to describe the enormous impact this organization has provided me. From the moment I stepped off the plane in Tanzania, I began forming relationships with my fellow volunteers that I now consider family. This experience has changed my life for the better and I have seen growth not only in myself but in my new-found family. The itinerary was great, giving us "breaks" from our worksite with adventure days, such as swimming with dolphins (coolest thing EVER!), sailing and snorkeling, and safari days. The transportation was great. In the open GIVE trucks, the set up made conversations and jam sessions optimal!! Our accommodations in Kairo were so fun and clean. I felt comfortable the entire stay. Momma Christinas house was beautiful and just as clean and comfortable! The meals were FANTASTIC!!!! I grew up a fairly picky eater so initially I was scared but the food was to-die-for. Im still craving Zanzibar pizza and crepes with mango spread (and missing the amazing cooks immensely!). The community of Kairo is composed of the most amazing and inspiring people I have ever had the privilege of meeting. Working in the school and teaching the women was so empowering and amazing to see their progress and determination. Worksite was difficult but soooo damn rewarding. To see the villagers come together and help build the projects we were working on made all the concrete-stained legs, dripping sweat, heat, and brick-carrying worthwhile. In Arusha, we had the opportunity to meet some incredible people of Green Paw Adventures and I am still in contact with my new friends 8,000 miles away. MARIA IS AMAZING! All the staff and guides know how to make you feel at home and are always looking out for you. They know how to make this experience even more amazing and fun. I never felt homesick knowing they were with me. I will never forget this amazing experience and encourage anyone with the opportunity to take a trip with GIVE. My life has completely changed and I am forever grateful.

Take in every moment. I knew going into this that it would be amazing but was shocked at how impactful this entire trip was, so much that I didn't want to go home. Make relationships with the villagers, know their names, support the locals. GO TO SWAHILI CLASS! Put down your phone and soak it all in because before you know it, you'll be flying home crying on the plane wising you were back with your new family. GIVE is amazing and will change your life for the better.
Elizabeth

The best experience of my life!!

The opportunity to volunteer and travel with GIVE was the best experience of my life. A little over two weeks ago, I got on a plane to go to Tanzania. I knew this experience was one I wanted to have, but I had no idea the impact it would have on my entire life and mindset. My trip was nothing short of incredible, breathtaking, and eye-opening. Although part of the experience includes working with the locals to help teach them English, they taught me so many more meaningful lessons. Overall, my favorite part was connecting with these locals. My conversations with them allowed me to grow and open up to new perspectives. Two things I learned from them that really stuck with me include the phrase "Hakuna Matata," and the idea of living the most simplistic yet happiest life. Everywhere we travelled, the locals would always say to us "Hakuna Matata." They try to live life with no worries, brushing off the little things that are no use to be fussed over. The people we formed connections with were the most happy and welcoming people, and they radiated joy at all times. You begin your trip in Zanzibar in a village full of these beautiful people I just described. The staff and local boys are amazing, and everyone makes you feel safe and at home. You end your trip in Arusha, volunteering with a women's co-operative, going on a coffee tour, and the coolest 2 day safari full of elephants, giraffes, zebras, baboons, and infinitely more! The people you volunteer with, as well as all of the staff, will become your family- and there is nothing more special than the bonds formed within the GIVE family. By going on this trip, you become one of the roots of change and realize you can make a difference in the world. There is no better feeling than working with a community, and growing alongside of them. The meals are delicious, the transportation is smooth and safe, and the accommodations are perfect! I could go on forever about how much I recommend this trip and how much I learned and grew from it. I wish I could re-do this trip over and over again!!!

If you're still debating or nervous to go on this trip, go out on a limb and take this opportunity to do something you've never done before. The amount you will grow and open up your mind to is unbelievable! Soak up every second the trip when it comes, live to the fullest in every moment, and cherish all the memories you make. Get close to the other volunteers, local boys, and staff because the connections you form will be the most special part that you take back home!
Maya

Indescribable

GIVE has an absolutely amazing message that is conveyed through and through in their Tanzanian adventure. There aren’t the right words to describe the experience I had in Tanzania but here’s to trying. The people on Zanzibar, from the staff, the locals in Kairo, to the people in Arusha and on the safaris, they all had such beautiful souls that were so passionate about being the root of change. Every person I encountered on this trip saw humans as humans, nothing more. Every human is privileged to have the life they do and I took that for granted before I met all those beautiful people. A souvenir shop worker knocked over all the figurines after I got worried for knocking one over because they truly live by the saying “Hakuna Matata” and are enjoying life for what it is and that’s what I plan to do from here on out. I am a better person because of GIVE and the experience I was honored enough to go on. Everyone would be impacted by going on a trip or this sorts, even in just a small way but one small action of change can make the world of a difference for one person and create a ripple of change. You truly have everything when you have happiness and that is so evident in all of the people I met on my trip. The people working in, with, and out or GIVE have everything because they are happy, even if they have so little. Be the root of change, even if it’s just little, it matters.

Have an open mind. I know if you’re considering this trip you already are an unique person but this trip was so much more than I ever expected. There’s no way to know the experience and impact that this trip will have on you until you go. I wasn’t looking to find myself or anything like that when I left but I am such a better person now after having that experience. The people you meet and the adventures you go on allow you to look at life so differently and every person who goes on this trip comes away with a different experience, but that’s the whole point. This trip is for you! Let the trip sprout change and passion and desire and keep reaching for more! Remember to always smile, always explore, and always strive to be the root of change because it only takes one person to make a difference.
on the beach
Drew

Tanzania 2018

My trip to Tanzania in May 2018 was hands down the best thing I have ever done in my life. Not only did I get to travel to Africa, which had always been a dream of mine, but I got to experience what the world has to offer. Zanzibar Island is a very special, unique, and beautiful place that I was not aware of before I found out about GIVE Volunteers. Coming into a new culture can be uncomfortable at first, and a volunteer trip like this may make some nervous; however, I had never felt more at home when I first arrived in Zanzibar. GIVE allows the volunteers to immerse themselves completely in the local culture which lets the volunteers expand their mind and become open to new experiences. Also, the local community is beyond welcoming and enjoys getting to know each and every volunteer. GIVE Volunteers is not only a way to help another community become more sustainable, it is an opportunity to change your life, impact the lives of those around you, and most important of all, become a global citizen. After my trip to Tanzania, my love for Africa and GIVE Volunteers has continued to grow and I continue to try to make a positive impact in my own community everyday.

This program is incredible and the more volunteers the better! So sign up!
Sarah

GIVE TANZANIA IS A 10/10

Where do I even begin? GIVE Volunteers' program in Tanzania is unmatched. I honestly cannot recommend it enough. You enter the village of Kairo a stranger, but leave feeling like a true member of the community. From teaching English to the locals, to mixing cement in the heat with your new best friends, to jumping in the Indian Ocean to swim with dolphins, this program truly has it all. The staff, locals, and your fellow volunteers are so full of life, and truly love what they are doing which makes the trip that much more enjoyable. The impact that this trip will have on you will last a lifetime. You will return home with a new GIVE family, more knowledge about the world then you left with, and a forever "home away from home" in Kairo, Zanzibar. So what are you waiting for? APPLY NOW!

Audra

The home away from home

GIVE is one of the best orgs I have had the privilege of stumbling on. My first trip with them was to Tanzania and Zanzibar Island. Being my first time ever out of the states I was so nervous about who I would meet and how the 2 weeks was going to go! Let me tell you what though, once I set foot in Tanzania the beautiful souls of GIVE guides immidelty made me feel so comfortable and just they gave off good vibes. The entire two weeks I made the best of friends and worked among some of the amazing locals who I miss everyday. Working and living with the other volunteers was great. And I am grateful for the experience that GIVE gave me. Not only are you making an impact on the community, they impact you and will change you forever... it is beyond worth it to go on a GIVE trip. 100/10 RECCOMEND!!!!!! DO IT!!!

Taylor-Paige

Once in a life-time, LIFE CHANGING experience :)

GIVE is a cultural, environmental, educational, social and adventurous experience all in one. All of the guides were extremely helpful in encouraging you to step out of your comfort zone and embrace the culture you are experiencing all around you. The trip was all-inclusive from the moment you arrive in Tanzania and after spending 4 weeks (two volunteering, two climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro) I can definitely say that every dollar was worth it and there's no way you could do all that we did for any less. Plus, while traveling with GIVE, they ensure to educate you on exactly where your money is going and how helping with this projects is helping the community for a life time. There was never a time that I felt unsafe, we we're treated like family by all of the locals and staff; I would recommend traveling with GIVE anywhere if you are looking to travel with a purpose, step outside of your comfort zone, and live in the moment. I have made friends and memories that will last a life time.

Breianna

GIVE TANZANIA: Raddest Abroad Excursion

In June 2018 I had the incredible opportunity to travel to Tanzania with GIVE. This trip completely changed my life and the people I met are friends that I will keep for life. This trip was incredibly humbling and opened my eyes to know true value and what’s really important in life. My experience with GIVE and the incredible people that I met in the village of Kairo led me to change my major so that I can impact people on a global level. It was so wonderful the way that we were welcomed into the village and how kind everyone was. One of my favorite memories of the trip was playing soccer and volleyball on the beach with the locals and laughing so hard that we were almost all in tears. I have never been so happy and so at peace before and everyday I wish I could go back. When going on this trip I didn’t really know what to expect I was just thrilled that I had the opportunity to travel abroad and volunteer. However, I can honestly say that I got so much more out of this experience than I ever thought I would. Everyone was so incredible from the GIVE staff to the locals to my fellow volunteers. If anyone is thinking about traveling abroad with GIVE I strongly recommend it!! This trip will change your and the people you meet will have a lasting impact on your life.

The only thing I would change about this program is that I wish it was a little bit more affordable. Fundraising helps a lot but the trip is still on the pricy side.
John

GIVE Tanzania Excursion

My expedition to Tanzania with GIVE, was a truly rewarding experience due to the takeaway from the experience as well as the positive impact that is let on the village of Kairo! My entire life I have been dreaming of the chance to travel to Tanzania and immerse myself within their beautiful culture. Choosing GIVE was the best choice I made, as there advocacy for education and sustainable infrastructure is no more apparent than within the village of Cairo. As you work alongside locals to build schools, wells, or living quarters, you will find yourself connecting very deeply with people on the other side of the world. Being able to see the improvements in English literacy is very rewarding, as these lingual skills allow them to communicate in a new world of commerce. Traveling to Tanzania with GIVE was the best experience of my life and has allowed me to pursue my passion for worldwide education for all.

Jeremy

Must go!!

Going on this trip is the best decision anyone of any age can make. Whether you have a knack for travel, being social, teaching, construction GIVE will make any location feel like home. GIVE guides are knowledgeable, fun and downright inspiring. On this trip I was able to give a bit and gain a lot. I wouldn’t trade this experience for the world.

I walked onto a plane, knowing no one. At 19 years old I was pretty dang nervous. In less than a day I would be on the opposite side of the world. Once we landed the fear slowly turned into excitement, which later turned into motivation. The trip helped me find myself in a way (cliché I know, but it’s true). My timid, shy self exploded out of my shell and found a true passion for teaching.

Since the trip I have been nonstop thinking about teaching abroad once I finish college. My GIVE guides even gave me recommendations on the trip to continue teaching and even volunteering abroad. In the fall I plan to take my TEFL course and become certified to teach English as a second language abroad.

If you are considering this trip, just do it. Pack a bag and do it. Go open up, transform into and better version of yourself and hep others in the process!

I genuinely cannot come up with improvements. Everything worked out 100 times better than I expected.