• Tanzania

Program Details

Short Term Summer Winter
Guesthouse Lodge
Groups
Small Group (1-15) Medium Group (16-30) Large Group (31+)
Travel Type
Budget Family Solo Women

Pricing

What's included:
-All accommodations
-Group and ground transportation, including airport pick up and drop off
-All meals and drinking water
-Epic adventures and cultural immersion activities
-Funding toward volunteer projects
What's Included
Accommodation Activities Airport Transfers Meals Transportation
What's Not Included
Airfare Travel Insurance Visa
Jan 30, 2024
Jul 05, 2024
22 travelers are looking at this program

GIVE’s Tanzania Program takes you from the tropical paradise of Zanzibar Island to the wild plains of mainland Tanzania. Work with the community to build addition classrooms for the first school ever in the community of Kairo, teach English lessons to students of all ages, and support the Tengeru Women’s Co-op. Experience the ultimate adventure swimming with wild dolphins in the Indian Ocean, sail over turquoise waters, snorkel above coral reefs and experience an overnight safari through the African savannah.

If you want the ultimate adventure, extend your trip and climb Mount Kilimanjaro with our fellow group members! We also offer an optional academic course with our optional Eco-tourism course.

Impact

Sustainability

GIVE's mission is to inspire growth, empower global citizens, and ignite sustainable change worldwide. To truly inspire growth and achieve sustainable travel internationally, GIVE has adopted the Asset-based community development (ABCD) model, a set of proven best practices in sustainable development that mobilizes a community’s assets and resources as the basis for development. Furthermore, through providing hands-on and eye-opening learning experiences that foster authentic connections between participants and host community members, we can empower global citizens who will continue to spread GIVE’s values and ignite sustainable change worldwide.

Ethical Impact

Exploring the world with GIVE is all about responsible travel, but what does that really mean?
Mindful Tourism + Community Partnership = Economic Growth & Community Empowerment.

Part of what makes GIVE trips so special is being fully immersed in the cultures and communities we visit. However, we take extra steps to ensure we minimize our influence and always respect local cultures. We prepare all participants before travel and ensure they understand the culture and how to dress appropriately.

Program Highlights

• Build a primary and secondary school for community of Kairo
  • See wild lions, elephants, and giraffes on safari
  • English education
  • Swim with wild dolphins in the Indian Ocean
  • Empower local women and learn about their co-op

• 5 rating 98.92%
  • 4 rating 1.08%
  • 3 rating 0%
  • 2 rating 0%
  • 1 rating 0%
Madison

GIVE Tanzania Trip

I can say with full confidence that this trip was the best thing I have been a part of. I was not really sure what to expect when I signed up for this trip, but by the end of it I left with a feeling of fulfillment. I now have a greater understanding of other cultures and what really is important in life. Not a moment went by when I was not genuinely happy to be able to experience the things I did. The guides, volunteers, Maasai, and locals are all wonderful people who made my time even better. If I was able to I would 100% go back in an instant.

1 person found this review helpful.
Kaitlyn

Absolutely life changing

Such a life changing experience. The people and communities within Zanzibar and Kairo were absolutely amazing. I am so thankful I got to experience this trip with GIVE, and wouldn’t change it for the world. I would HIGHLY recommend this trip and this organization. There is so much to see and the culture that you are in is such an amazing experience that I feel like many don’t get to see. It was so cool to see new animals, scenery, people and meet so many new friends on this trip. I loved every minute of it and hope that other people can have the same experiences as I did. It was very special to me and so so amazing.

Keep an open mind and let yourself live in the moment and embrace the culture around you!
Madelyn

First Give trip in Zanzibar, Tanzania

This is was my first volunteer trip with GIVE and I absolutely loved it. I just got back from my trip and it was fantastic. The guides were always there to answer our questions and if we had any issues with anything they were there to help us out. Never did I feel unsafe in the environment. my fellow volunteers were a constant encouragement during construction, education, and my additional trip to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro. The locals were always happy and excited to see us and they understood that me and my group were not tourist. We were there to make change in the small town of Kairo. One of the best highlights of the trip was just seeing how free and happy the locals were and how inviting they were to include us in their daily lives.

GIVE was excellent in response time before the trip even started and I had no flight troubles going and coming home. I honestly would do this trip again in the future because of how organized and safe it was.

One thing I would recommend to any going to Tanzania would be to bring electrolytes and all the cash that you plan on spending in USD so your not constantly looking for an ATM when you run out of money. (There’s only a few opportunities to get cash) if you choose to do this trip have fun and embrace everyday with an open mind, you won’t regret it.

What was your funniest moment?
Taking funny pictures of our guides on the final night and just having a really fun time on the beach after the sunset.
Pros
  • Helping the locals/people
  • Traveling to historic places
  • Amazing people
Cons
  • Living with a bunch of people in one room
  • Food restrictions hard to provide for at times
  • The hostel in Tanzania wasn’t the best.
Peyton

Experience of a Lifetime!

This experience was truly once in a lifetime. The itinerary was packed with lots of work and play! I’ve never done such meaningful work, and had so much fun doing it! Our guides were very knowledgeable, kind, fun, nurturing, supportive people who made a lasting impact on me. The trip is extremely well planned and thought out. We definitely made the most of our time in Tanzania! I will always cherish my memories of empowering the locals through education, as well as swimming in the Indian Ocean and searching for animals on the safari!

I would just tell them to soak up every minute. Be present. Ask the locals any questions you have and really get to know the culture. Step out of your comfort zone and do the things you’re afraid of. Work hard and play hard! Enjoy it all, it goes by too fast!
Pros
  • Getting to make a difference with other likeminded individuals!
  • Enjoying beautiful experience like snorkeling in the Indian Ocean and seeing the big 5 on an unforgettable safari!
  • I learned so much about myself from this experience and I feel so inspired to be a better traveler and a better human in general.
Hannah

Completly Life Changing

Heading to the village of Kairo I wasn't sure what to expect , but the reality of it was well beyond any image that I had created in my mind. There was constant laughter, games, dance parties, and so much love. I fell asleep every single night with sore cheeks from laughing so much and with a full heart from the amount of love and support that is carried throughout this village.
Us volunteers helped construct a school for Kairo. Our local guides taught us to mix cement by hand and helped us load wheelbarrows of rubble to build the students a computer lab. On the construction site there was constant words of encouragement, laughter, and of course, dance parties. Although we were all working so hard our construction guides, Biggie, Smile, Baboi, and MC never failed to make it SO much fun. Each of them work so hard all day long, but still constantly have a smile on their face.
As well as doing construction , we got to tutor local students. I was fortunate enough to be put into a classroom with the Maasai tribe. These boys worked all night and still came to the classroom at 9 in the morning. Each one of them were so eager and determined to learn. They made the classroom so special and so much fun. The excitement and encouragement that they showed each other was extremely heartwarming. Although we did not speak the same language , I have never had so much fun or felt so connected in a classroom. A special thank you to Talha, Kao, Caroline, Aumor, and Sophi for their help in the classroom.
The village of Kairo is now 100% my favorite place on earth. Not only because of its beauty, but because of how pure, kind , postive , and fun the locals are despite the challenges in their village. I am not sure how to comprehend or explain how amazing my experience in the Kairo village was. I am overwhelmed by the amount of love I now have for each and every person I have met on this trip. To say I am heartbroken having to leave my new family is an understatement.

What was your funniest moment?
Playing cards with a fellow volunteer. She needed a run of the same suit, and was so excited when she thought she had it. She laid her cards down and did not have a run, just random cards of the same suit.
Pros
  • So many new friends
  • Learned so much about the muslim culture
  • Devloped into a better version of myself
Kora

GIVE Tanzania

Words cannot describe how absolutely incredible this experience is! The people, community, fellow volunteers, guides, and students make this place feel home. The communication while planning your trip is outstanding and all my questions were answered very promptly, along with their in depth preparation package that is provided helping you pack and set expectations of the trip. After arriving everything is taken care of for you, transportations, accommodations, food, help with creating lesson plans, boat trips, safari you name it and GIVE has it covered! The guides did an incredible job with ensuring we knew what was to come in the upcoming days, and were always there to lend a hand. Whether it was sickness, needing a bandaid, a hug, advice, a shoulder to cry on, they were always there with open arms for whatever you needed. This is the most rewarding, fun, eye opening experience and Tanzania will always have a special place in my heart. This trip truly helps you grow as a person and gives you such a perspective on life, and who you are as a person. All I can say is BOOK THE DANG TRIP! There is not one bad thing I can say about this experience and the GIVE program!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
After volunteering the the 3 days of your trip is the safari. This adventure went far beyond my expectations and is truly a once in a lifetime experience! Giraffes, elephants, hippos and even lions, and totally feeling like your living in lion king!
Pros
  • Feels like family
  • Emersed in culture
  • Community is amazing
Cons
  • Food (make sure you like chicken and rice)
Caitlin

LIFE CHANGING

Just book the trip!! You won’t regret spending a cent. I’m from Australia and never had any issues there. You can be from anywhere in the world and go. You will learnt about the culture properly, learn their language, learn weaving and even cook with them. The guides were amazing people that will inspire you to be your best and let you be who you are. We got to go on a dolphin tour, go to the spice farm. Lear how you make soap and moisturiser. You will work hard in construction and learn how to teach English. You get the full experience, just book it!!

Don’t pack too much clothes because you’ll end up buying quite a bit. Definitely enrol in the classes they give to help you learn more about the culture and how to communicate
Pros
  • The best guides
  • Loving community of people you’re surrounded by
  • Great work and play balance
Cons
  • Need more people from other countries coming in!!
Jean

Tanzania with Give

I highly recommend traveling through give volunteers. It was an experience of a lifetime and I’m looking forward to another trip with them. This is a legit program and they are very knowledgeable. I had a lot of questions through the whole process and someone was there to answer them all in a timely manner. There is a great balance of fun, work, and learning. I met so many new friends that I can count on even after the trip ended. The Tanzania program specifically was wonderful the community there is inspiring. The guides are amazing people who are there for you, very supportive, and really made the trip one to remember. If you are reading this because you’re undecided and need a sign, take this as your sign to book the Tanzania trip!

As someone with dietary restrictions some days there wouldn’t be as many options for me as other days. I felt I only got accommodations some of the meals and another person on our trip had even more restrictions than me and left with even less options. Even with this I’d still do the trip again just maybe pack a few extra snacks.