Volunteer in Nepal - Lowest Fees & Trusted Since 2003

Volunteer in Nepal

A trip to the majestic Himalayan country of Nepal will leave you with rich memories that will last a lifetime. Volunteering in Nepal will be heart fulfilling. Global Crossroad needs compassionate and adventurous volunteers like you!
Nepal is a hugely diverse and always spectacular travel destination. You can go river rafting, trek through the impressive Himalayan Mountains, ride a jungle elephant through lavish foliage, or visit the World Peace Pagoda at Lake Phewa Tal.
You'll combine a lively tourist destination with meaningful humanitarian assistance to Nepal's gentle, yet greatly in need people. Global Crossroad invites you to enjoy a volunteering experience in Nepal and help heal the sick, work in an orphanage or even work as a photojournalist! There are many different volunteer programs in Nepal to choose from, so it will be easy to find one that suits you perfectly.

• Join thousands of volunteers on affordable programs helping to change the world one family at a time
  • Guaranteed lowest program fees in the US – starting at $100 per week.
  • Contribute in the way that is most meaningful to you and get a life changing experience.
  • Your fees directly benefit the volunteer project – there are no middlemen
  • Your safety is always our priority… every volunteer location has been thoroughly vetted

Jacob

Nepal Orphanage Work

It was a fun experience and definitely enjoyed myself and im sure my friends did as well. I felt our placement lacked a need for us volunteering. The help from the staff was perfect and they helped whenever we asked. The children at our placement taught as a lot about how to appreciate what you got and make the best out of everything. Over Christmas it was enjoyable and great to see how the family interacted and celebrated. Although church was difficult, as it was protestant and in nepali. Great experience overall, other programs might be more enriching though.

Look into the program more and see what you are interested in the most. I'd reccomend teaching monks english.
Response from Global Crossroad

Dear Jacob,

Thank you for your feedback. Wish you a prosperous New Year and all the best the best for your future endeavours.

rohan

2 weeks at orphanage

the host family was very accommodating. the kids are so independent it was initially hard to feel useful. however, it didn’t take long to become more involved.

the food was very basic but there was plenty of it so can’t complain. would’ve been pleased with a bit more mattress between me n a metal bed frame but again, wasn’t expecting much.

we had lots of fun, it was very exciting to spend christmas with such a big family - it was a very wholesome experience.

the cost. with a total of 500 USD i would have liked it if more money actually made it to the orphanage rather than the various layers of management above it.
Response from Global Crossroad

Dear Rohan,

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy that your enjoyed your experience. We understand about the program fees but we also need to manage our websites and all our employees so that the program becomes visible. All these takes much work. We hope you understand.

We wish you all the best in your future endeavours.

James

Rcdp review

Global crossroads does as described by finding you a program to volunteer in and supply support services on call. Overall good. Host family were very friendly and provided a great place to be. We lacked purpose in a program and were constantly told to rest and food consisted of mainly rice. At the end of the day it’s what you expect it to be. I was not pleased with the program but global crossroads was warm and an excellent service. Other volunteer I met during my time with global crossroads had more purpose.

Response from Global Crossroad

Thank you for your your honest feedback. We wish you all the best for your future endeavours.

Olivia

Volunteering at Mary Home Orphanage in Nepal

We had the most amazing experience on our volunteering project in Nepal. We were placed in Kathmandu (we had originally requested Pokhara but they were unable to fulfill that), we weren’t at all disappointed!
Mary Home orphanage provides a fantastic home to 10 children. They are very well cared for.
They looked after us well and we feel that we developed life long friendships.
Global crossroad and the organisers were in contact with us throughout the trip. However, I think the registration fee to Global crossroad was quite high. It was over $300 and whilst the program was great that money was simply an expensive admin fee. There was also a separate program fee to cover the room and board costs in Nepal and to support the local organisation.

Kent

Volunteer Teaching at a Monastery

My wife and I spent eight weeks teaching English at the monastery. We both have teaching experience in the United States so we were able to apply a lot of what we know to the classroom here in Nepal. It was very rewarding to see the children learn English and become more comfortable speaking and writing in English as well.

The in country support staff were helpful and able to address our needs and request when needed. They were flexible when we had some concerns about housing accommodations and were able to respond to our needs In a satisfactory manner.

We ended up staying at the Volunteer house in Kathman do and had a great experience being able to meet the other volunteers coming in and out when starting and ending their programs. We also enjoyed the family we stayed with and the food was always good.

The monastery does not have a set curriculum for teaching English so I would recommend to anyone coming into this program to do some research in teaching English and come prepared to teach a wide variety of skill levels in order to have the biggest impact on the kids.

I think the best way to improve the program would be to create, or provide a curriculum for volunteers to follow so that the students get a consistent and structured lesson each day that flows from one volunteer leaving to a new volunteer arriving.
Response from Global Crossroad

Dear Kent,

Thank you so much for taking out the time to write us a feedback. We are happy to know that you enjoyed your time in Nepal. Thank you gain for volunteering with us and we wish you all the best in your future endeavours.

Mia

Great experience!

I think overall this experience was a great opportunity to meet new and kind people from another culture! Our host family was very kind and kept us well feed. The staff checked in with us constantly and helped anytime we asked!

The students we taught were great and will definitely live in my heart long after we leave Nepal. It was definitely a new experience and well worth the adventure! Being able to see their growth in English was a great thing.

Neighboring towns were a short bus ride away to have new experiences. There is always something new to see or experience! From temples, to free roaming monkeys to cows who have learned to cross the street, each day was a new wonder! We are thankful for the time we spent here, the things we have learned and the opportunity to hopefully have an impact in another country!

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
I think the most nerve racking thing about Nepal is the traffic. Everyday is a new, hair raising adventure.
Response from Global Crossroad

Dear Mia

Hui

Supplying Education materials to schools and orphanage

AirPort pick up was great. He was vertical helpful. Sujan and pratima were together and they introduced each other beforehand. We drived to orphanage and we got chances to see orphanage in remote areas. It was pretty we really like views and people’s a round us. After we visited orphanage we backed to hostel(volunteer houses). They’re vertical nice and didi was great. She cooked delicious foods to us. We like her food. We also learn how to make momo.

Next morning We went to school and visited principle and decide about periods that we would like to take. It was very nicely school they’re vertically friendly and cooperative.Ms pratima has been vertical supporting to us during our time here And while we were in school she helped a lot. She is excellent guide. She is vertical kind and her personality is very warm and sweet.

We had donate different educational materials to schools, orphanage and different poor peoples here In Kathmandu. They are very Happy to get all those things fronting us.

We will like to recommend this Program.And thanks for giving this kind of opportunity to us.

Response from Global Crossroad

Dear Hui and Shirly,

Thank you for taking out the time to write us a feedback. Also, thank you for taking out the time to volunteer with us and also for donating the educational supplies. It means a lot to us. We are also happy to know that you enjoyed your time in Nepal.

We wish you all the best for your future endeavours and hope we can see you again in the future!

Shirly

Teaching in Nepal

It was a very fun time teaching in Nepal. Everything went smoothly and the people here were very nice. The children were very happy and eager to learn. We taught them Chinese and English and it was very sad to leave them. The accommodations were very nice and the food was great too. We also visited orphanages and we had a great time there too. The children there were very open and liked to talk to us. They danced for us and we danced with them as well. We had the time to interact with the children personally and learned about their interests and where they come from. Overall it was a great experience and everything went smoothly. It was nice to experience a different culture and to learn more from them. I would of course come again because it was a very fun trip.

What was your funniest moment?
The kids were very happy and eager to learn. They also love candy!
Response from Global Crossroad

Dear Shirly,

Thank you for volunteering with us and for taking out the time to write us a feedback. We are happy to know that you had a good time with the children and enjoyed your overall experience in Nepal.

Štěpánka

Medical Program in Nepal

Together with my boyfriend we spent 3 weeks volunteering in hospital. The hospital staff was very nice to us and explained everything we asked. We could also try some practical things such as dressing or suturing. We would highly recommend this program for those preparing for medical school or med students who are at the beginning of their studies.
All the time we spent in hostel with amazing family. Especially Didi was taking amazing care of us and cooked for us traditionally nepalese meals. Together with Pratima they were helping us with all our questions and problems. We learned a lot about nepalese culture and way of living which is so different from our world.
Everyone from Global Crossroad was always helpful and answered all our questions about the program before we came here.
Kathmandu is huge and busy city for us so we really enjoyed all the trips we made. For weekends we always wanted to go far from the dusty city so we made trips to Champa Devi, three day trek from Sunderijal to Nagarkot and also visited Pokhara. We would recommed all of these trips. It is a nice change from the city.
Thank you, Global Crossroad!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
If we did this trip all over again we would deffinitely come in October which is the best season for hiking. During the monsoon time in July/August you never know what to expect. But we still enjoyed it here. :-)
Response from Global Crossroad

Dear Štěpánka,

Thank you for volunteering with us and for taking out the time to write us a feedback. We are happy to know that you both are learning from our Medical project as well as enjoying your experiences in Nepal.

We wish you all the best for your future endeavours!

Henry

Teaching English in Nepal

The experience volunteering in Nepal was honestly amazing, there's no words to describe what a beautiful experience it was and it is something that I will always remember. First of all the monastery was amazing everyone welcomed us with open arms, they were super kind and showed us around Kathmandu, they invited us to go out, they showed us their everyday tasks and their beliefs and religion, we were able to join their activities through out the day, the little monks were so energetic and enthusiastic, it was great teaching them English and learning some words in Nepali and Tibetan, also the organization picked us up from the airport and drove us to the hostal and treated us very well, the coordinator was very nice and told us many things about our project and the culture in Nepal, I'm very happy I chose to volunteer in Nepal

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would definitely stay for longer if I could do it all over again
Response from Global Crossroad

Dear Henry,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback. We are very happy to know that you enjoyed your volunteering experience in Nepal. We thank you for coming this far to help the student monks and sharing your knowledge with them. We wish you all the best in your future endeavours and hope we can see you again someday!

sara

Volunteer in Nepal

This was an amazing experience and I am so happy to have experienced it I loved it without a doubt and it's totally worth it, everyone was very welcoming and I really enjoyed it there's no words to describe how nice everyone was, I loved the little monks and it was super fun teaching them English and learning about the culture and their traditions and I would definitely do it again for sure, the accommodations were not too clear when we arrived but once we settled it was great and very comfortable which was amazing, the food that they gave us was very good and I really liked their tea it was a wonderful monastery in which we stayed and everyone was incredibly friendly and Made it very easy to be there which I honestly thought was great so I would recommend it

Just a little a little more clear with the accommodations
Response from Global Crossroad

Dear Sara,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback and for taking out the time to come this far to volunteer with us. We are very happy that you enjoyed working with the young Monks. We hope that the experiences you gained from this project has helped you and wish you all the best in your future endeavours.

Rebecca

Hospital Volunteer

Everyone was so kind and accommodating during our time in Nepal. Didi was wonderful and treated us like family. Pratima was very helpful answering all our questions about the culture and how to travel around Nepal. The hospital experience was very good observation. Once we became good friends with the nurses, we were able to do wound dressings, injections, vitals, and even a few sutures. Observation in the Emergency Room was very interesting to be able to view a variety of surgeries up close with the surgeons and nurses. All the doctors and nurses were very kind and helpful and we quickly became good friends. As long as you talk with the staff and ask a lot of questions you are able to gain a lot from this experience. We also went trekking to Everest Base Camp during our time in Nepal. The trek was hands down my favorite experience in Nepal.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
The most nerve-racking moment was crossing wild, busy streets of Kathmandu. As long as you put your hand up and walk fast, you can make it safely across the road.
Response from Global Crossroad

Dear Rebecca,

Thank you for your lovely feedback. We are very happy to know that you enjoyed your experiences in Nepal-both volunteering and trekking. We wish you all the best in your future endeavours and hope to see you again some day!

Tavis

Global Crossroad experience

Kathmandu is bustling with life! The city is alive with people walking and vehicles jostling for position in the streets. There are religious festivals/ceremonies in many areas and the city is rich with Hindu culture. Our hostel was nestled in a community right down the street from a temple and we walked past it every day to get to the hospital. The beds are decently comfortable, with about five beds per room. They have a bathroom attached to the rooms, which features a toilet, sink, and shower. They have WiFi for the volunteers, and they give you a key to the rooms so that your things are secure. The host family is incredibly hospitable, and Didi takes such good care of us; making us feel at home and safe. The language class was great, and the teacher takes time to break things down and teach the language, along with trying to help volunteers with gain an understanding of how the culture works. I volunteered in the hospital and this was such an amazing experience! We were able to observe surgeries, practice our medical skills (suturing, wound dressing, vitals, etc.) and stretch our medical knowledge, and we were able to establish relationships with the staff, which helped to further immerse myself into the Nepali culture. Overall I loved this experience and I definitely want to come back some day!

One thing that I expected upon arriving to Nepal was that I would lose weight from eating much less than I did back home in America. Little did I know... Nepali culture is to feed their guests and feed them well! The food here is fairly cheap and very good. You will be fed three meals a day. The staple food is Dhal Bhaat, which is heavy on the rice, and it is more than filling. They have meat here, but fire the most part you should expect to go with little to no meat while here, unless of course you go out to eat for yourself.
Response from Global Crossroad

Dear Tavis,

Thank you for taking out the time to volunteer with us and for leaving us a feedback. We are very happy to know that you enjoyed your time in Nepal with Didi's family and also learned from the volunteer project. We hope these experiences will be useful for you and wish you all the best in your future endeavours!

Sarah

Monastery Experience

We had an incredible few weeks volunteering at a Monastery in Nepal. Our initial arrival experience was so well planned with our airport pick up, and being brought straight to the hostel by car made for a very easy and safe experience.

We spent two days at the hostel and were very thankful for the guidance we received regarding sim cards and money, as well as the wonderful food and hospitality provided to us by Didi.

We also had an incredible experience in the homestay and are very thankful to our homestay family for providing us meals, a comfortable place to stay, and for helping us around.

The highlight of our trip was being able to meet all the monks and spend time with them every day. They were a very hard-working group of boys and it was a delight to see how positive and happy they were every day we came to teach lessons.

What was your funniest moment?
Every day with the monks brought on a new funniest moment, like when we asked them to draw their emotions and most of them opted to draw pictures of the last airbender instead!
Response from Global Crossroad

Dear Sarah, thank you so much for your feedback. It is wonderful to know that you enjoyed the volunteering experience at the monastery as well as the home stay.

It is really funny and surprising that the monks drew pictures of the last air bender. I guess he is kind of their role model and they can relate to him.

Thank you so much for volunteering with us and we wish you all the best for your future endeavors!

Sally

Teaching to Monks in Nepal

Wow was this trip life changing. My experience in Nepal was incredibly eye opening. The city of Kathmandu is hustle and bustle and very intense upon arrival, intimidating and scary to say the least but not long into my first day I was found in the good hands of my new sister, Pratima. An employee of Global Crossroads who would become my language teacher and dear friend.
My time teaching at the monastery was the highlight of my trip. I had a class of 20 young boys who I would teach English to for 2 hours per day. They were so pure and fun.
Global Crossroads did what they could to prepare me mentally for the culture shock but I don’t think that anything can prepare a westerner for the world of Nepal. As I said, intense. Though I found a peace there with my new family. I think Global Crossroads has good quality people in Nepal working for them. In my program at least, and this is what made all the difference.
In my time I stayed at the global crossroads hostel, which I met other travellers and was taken amazing care of by sisters. My Didi made me feel very welcome and loved. I also stayed with a host family, who showed me around and took me in as one of theirs.
This was a great experience. Once I spent time in Nepal I came to think that the prices Global Crossroads has charged me may be a little bit overpriced. Just as Nepal is so so cheap, but my experience was worth all the money I had spent so this is not a huge complaint, just a note.
Thank you to the team for the support and to my family in Nepal, I will always remember ❤️❤️

My advise is to eat all of the traditional foods! The best foods in Nepal are the true Nepalese meals cooked by families. I would also advise travellers to practise saying no before you go over, it’s easy to want to give so much and buy so much for those that need it but I had also spent a lot of unnecessary money and given a lot of my time to things I didn’t really want to do.
I would highly advise going to pokhara!
Response from Global Crossroad

Dear Sally,

We thank you for volunteering with us. Yes, we kind of understand that Kathmandu city might have been so different from what you are used to. But, we are so glad you decided to stay and help out. Now, at least you have a glimpse of what it is like to travel in most of Asian countries. It seems like you fell to the shopkeeper's persistence, again a common thing in most of Asia. Yes, you should definitely say no as well as bargain a lot.

We are really happy to know of your experience in the Monastery and that you adjusted well and loved the local Nepalese food. We have also taken your feedback about the prices and are looking in to it.

Thank you so much for volunteering with us and we wish you all the best!