Volunteer in Nepal - Lowest Fees & Trusted Since 2003

Volunteer in Nepal

A trip to the majestic Himalayan country of Nepal will leave you with rich memories that will last a lifetime. Volunteering in Nepal will be heart fulfilling. Global Crossroad needs compassionate and adventurous volunteers like you!
Nepal is a hugely diverse and always spectacular travel destination. You can go river rafting, trek through the impressive Himalayan Mountains, ride a jungle elephant through lavish foliage, or visit the World Peace Pagoda at Lake Phewa Tal.
You'll combine a lively tourist destination with meaningful humanitarian assistance to Nepal's gentle, yet greatly in need people. Global Crossroad invites you to enjoy a volunteering experience in Nepal and help heal the sick, work in an orphanage or even work as a photojournalist! There are many different volunteer programs in Nepal to choose from, so it will be easy to find one that suits you perfectly.

• Join thousands of volunteers on affordable programs helping to change the world one family at a time
  • Guaranteed lowest program fees in the US – starting at $100 per week.
  • Contribute in the way that is most meaningful to you and get a life changing experience.
  • Your fees directly benefit the volunteer project – there are no middlemen
  • Your safety is always our priority… every volunteer location has been thoroughly vetted

Hui

Supplying Education materials to schools and orphanage

AirPort pick up was great. He was vertical helpful. Sujan and pratima were together and they introduced each other beforehand. We drived to orphanage and we got chances to see orphanage in remote areas. It was pretty we really like views and people’s a round us. After we visited orphanage we backed to hostel(volunteer houses). They’re vertical nice and didi was great. She cooked delicious foods to us. We like her food. We also learn how to make momo.

Next morning We went to school and visited principle and decide about periods that we would like to take. It was very nicely school they’re vertically friendly and cooperative.Ms pratima has been vertical supporting to us during our time here And while we were in school she helped a lot. She is excellent guide. She is vertical kind and her personality is very warm and sweet.

We had donate different educational materials to schools, orphanage and different poor peoples here In Kathmandu. They are very Happy to get all those things fronting us.

We will like to recommend this Program.And thanks for giving this kind of opportunity to us.

Response from Global Crossroad

Dear Hui and Shirly,

Thank you for taking out the time to write us a feedback. Also, thank you for taking out the time to volunteer with us and also for donating the educational supplies. It means a lot to us. We are also happy to know that you enjoyed your time in Nepal.

We wish you all the best for your future endeavours and hope we can see you again in the future!

Shirly

Teaching in Nepal

It was a very fun time teaching in Nepal. Everything went smoothly and the people here were very nice. The children were very happy and eager to learn. We taught them Chinese and English and it was very sad to leave them. The accommodations were very nice and the food was great too. We also visited orphanages and we had a great time there too. The children there were very open and liked to talk to us. They danced for us and we danced with them as well. We had the time to interact with the children personally and learned about their interests and where they come from. Overall it was a great experience and everything went smoothly. It was nice to experience a different culture and to learn more from them. I would of course come again because it was a very fun trip.

What was your funniest moment?
The kids were very happy and eager to learn. They also love candy!
Response from Global Crossroad

Dear Shirly,

Thank you for volunteering with us and for taking out the time to write us a feedback. We are happy to know that you had a good time with the children and enjoyed your overall experience in Nepal.

Štěpánka

Medical Program in Nepal

Together with my boyfriend we spent 3 weeks volunteering in hospital. The hospital staff was very nice to us and explained everything we asked. We could also try some practical things such as dressing or suturing. We would highly recommend this program for those preparing for medical school or med students who are at the beginning of their studies.
All the time we spent in hostel with amazing family. Especially Didi was taking amazing care of us and cooked for us traditionally nepalese meals. Together with Pratima they were helping us with all our questions and problems. We learned a lot about nepalese culture and way of living which is so different from our world.
Everyone from Global Crossroad was always helpful and answered all our questions about the program before we came here.
Kathmandu is huge and busy city for us so we really enjoyed all the trips we made. For weekends we always wanted to go far from the dusty city so we made trips to Champa Devi, three day trek from Sunderijal to Nagarkot and also visited Pokhara. We would recommed all of these trips. It is a nice change from the city.
Thank you, Global Crossroad!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
If we did this trip all over again we would deffinitely come in October which is the best season for hiking. During the monsoon time in July/August you never know what to expect. But we still enjoyed it here. :-)
Response from Global Crossroad

Dear Štěpánka,

Thank you for volunteering with us and for taking out the time to write us a feedback. We are happy to know that you both are learning from our Medical project as well as enjoying your experiences in Nepal.

We wish you all the best for your future endeavours!

Henry

Teaching English in Nepal

The experience volunteering in Nepal was honestly amazing, there's no words to describe what a beautiful experience it was and it is something that I will always remember. First of all the monastery was amazing everyone welcomed us with open arms, they were super kind and showed us around Kathmandu, they invited us to go out, they showed us their everyday tasks and their beliefs and religion, we were able to join their activities through out the day, the little monks were so energetic and enthusiastic, it was great teaching them English and learning some words in Nepali and Tibetan, also the organization picked us up from the airport and drove us to the hostal and treated us very well, the coordinator was very nice and told us many things about our project and the culture in Nepal, I'm very happy I chose to volunteer in Nepal

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would definitely stay for longer if I could do it all over again
Response from Global Crossroad

Dear Henry,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback. We are very happy to know that you enjoyed your volunteering experience in Nepal. We thank you for coming this far to help the student monks and sharing your knowledge with them. We wish you all the best in your future endeavours and hope we can see you again someday!

sara

Volunteer in Nepal

This was an amazing experience and I am so happy to have experienced it I loved it without a doubt and it's totally worth it, everyone was very welcoming and I really enjoyed it there's no words to describe how nice everyone was, I loved the little monks and it was super fun teaching them English and learning about the culture and their traditions and I would definitely do it again for sure, the accommodations were not too clear when we arrived but once we settled it was great and very comfortable which was amazing, the food that they gave us was very good and I really liked their tea it was a wonderful monastery in which we stayed and everyone was incredibly friendly and Made it very easy to be there which I honestly thought was great so I would recommend it

Just a little a little more clear with the accommodations
Response from Global Crossroad

Dear Sara,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback and for taking out the time to come this far to volunteer with us. We are very happy that you enjoyed working with the young Monks. We hope that the experiences you gained from this project has helped you and wish you all the best in your future endeavours.

Rebecca

Hospital Volunteer

Everyone was so kind and accommodating during our time in Nepal. Didi was wonderful and treated us like family. Pratima was very helpful answering all our questions about the culture and how to travel around Nepal. The hospital experience was very good observation. Once we became good friends with the nurses, we were able to do wound dressings, injections, vitals, and even a few sutures. Observation in the Emergency Room was very interesting to be able to view a variety of surgeries up close with the surgeons and nurses. All the doctors and nurses were very kind and helpful and we quickly became good friends. As long as you talk with the staff and ask a lot of questions you are able to gain a lot from this experience. We also went trekking to Everest Base Camp during our time in Nepal. The trek was hands down my favorite experience in Nepal.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
The most nerve-racking moment was crossing wild, busy streets of Kathmandu. As long as you put your hand up and walk fast, you can make it safely across the road.
Response from Global Crossroad

Dear Rebecca,

Thank you for your lovely feedback. We are very happy to know that you enjoyed your experiences in Nepal-both volunteering and trekking. We wish you all the best in your future endeavours and hope to see you again some day!

Tavis

Global Crossroad experience

Kathmandu is bustling with life! The city is alive with people walking and vehicles jostling for position in the streets. There are religious festivals/ceremonies in many areas and the city is rich with Hindu culture. Our hostel was nestled in a community right down the street from a temple and we walked past it every day to get to the hospital. The beds are decently comfortable, with about five beds per room. They have a bathroom attached to the rooms, which features a toilet, sink, and shower. They have WiFi for the volunteers, and they give you a key to the rooms so that your things are secure. The host family is incredibly hospitable, and Didi takes such good care of us; making us feel at home and safe. The language class was great, and the teacher takes time to break things down and teach the language, along with trying to help volunteers with gain an understanding of how the culture works. I volunteered in the hospital and this was such an amazing experience! We were able to observe surgeries, practice our medical skills (suturing, wound dressing, vitals, etc.) and stretch our medical knowledge, and we were able to establish relationships with the staff, which helped to further immerse myself into the Nepali culture. Overall I loved this experience and I definitely want to come back some day!

One thing that I expected upon arriving to Nepal was that I would lose weight from eating much less than I did back home in America. Little did I know... Nepali culture is to feed their guests and feed them well! The food here is fairly cheap and very good. You will be fed three meals a day. The staple food is Dhal Bhaat, which is heavy on the rice, and it is more than filling. They have meat here, but fire the most part you should expect to go with little to no meat while here, unless of course you go out to eat for yourself.
Response from Global Crossroad

Dear Tavis,

Thank you for taking out the time to volunteer with us and for leaving us a feedback. We are very happy to know that you enjoyed your time in Nepal with Didi's family and also learned from the volunteer project. We hope these experiences will be useful for you and wish you all the best in your future endeavours!

Sarah

Monastery Experience

We had an incredible few weeks volunteering at a Monastery in Nepal. Our initial arrival experience was so well planned with our airport pick up, and being brought straight to the hostel by car made for a very easy and safe experience.

We spent two days at the hostel and were very thankful for the guidance we received regarding sim cards and money, as well as the wonderful food and hospitality provided to us by Didi.

We also had an incredible experience in the homestay and are very thankful to our homestay family for providing us meals, a comfortable place to stay, and for helping us around.

The highlight of our trip was being able to meet all the monks and spend time with them every day. They were a very hard-working group of boys and it was a delight to see how positive and happy they were every day we came to teach lessons.

What was your funniest moment?
Every day with the monks brought on a new funniest moment, like when we asked them to draw their emotions and most of them opted to draw pictures of the last airbender instead!
Response from Global Crossroad

Dear Sarah, thank you so much for your feedback. It is wonderful to know that you enjoyed the volunteering experience at the monastery as well as the home stay.

It is really funny and surprising that the monks drew pictures of the last air bender. I guess he is kind of their role model and they can relate to him.

Thank you so much for volunteering with us and we wish you all the best for your future endeavors!

Sally

Teaching to Monks in Nepal

Wow was this trip life changing. My experience in Nepal was incredibly eye opening. The city of Kathmandu is hustle and bustle and very intense upon arrival, intimidating and scary to say the least but not long into my first day I was found in the good hands of my new sister, Pratima. An employee of Global Crossroads who would become my language teacher and dear friend.
My time teaching at the monastery was the highlight of my trip. I had a class of 20 young boys who I would teach English to for 2 hours per day. They were so pure and fun.
Global Crossroads did what they could to prepare me mentally for the culture shock but I don’t think that anything can prepare a westerner for the world of Nepal. As I said, intense. Though I found a peace there with my new family. I think Global Crossroads has good quality people in Nepal working for them. In my program at least, and this is what made all the difference.
In my time I stayed at the global crossroads hostel, which I met other travellers and was taken amazing care of by sisters. My Didi made me feel very welcome and loved. I also stayed with a host family, who showed me around and took me in as one of theirs.
This was a great experience. Once I spent time in Nepal I came to think that the prices Global Crossroads has charged me may be a little bit overpriced. Just as Nepal is so so cheap, but my experience was worth all the money I had spent so this is not a huge complaint, just a note.
Thank you to the team for the support and to my family in Nepal, I will always remember ❤️❤️

My advise is to eat all of the traditional foods! The best foods in Nepal are the true Nepalese meals cooked by families. I would also advise travellers to practise saying no before you go over, it’s easy to want to give so much and buy so much for those that need it but I had also spent a lot of unnecessary money and given a lot of my time to things I didn’t really want to do.
I would highly advise going to pokhara!
Response from Global Crossroad

Dear Sally,

We thank you for volunteering with us. Yes, we kind of understand that Kathmandu city might have been so different from what you are used to. But, we are so glad you decided to stay and help out. Now, at least you have a glimpse of what it is like to travel in most of Asian countries. It seems like you fell to the shopkeeper's persistence, again a common thing in most of Asia. Yes, you should definitely say no as well as bargain a lot.

We are really happy to know of your experience in the Monastery and that you adjusted well and loved the local Nepalese food. We have also taken your feedback about the prices and are looking in to it.

Thank you so much for volunteering with us and we wish you all the best!

Samantha

Monastary in Kathmandu

My friend and I recently completed the volunteering at a Buddhist Monastery in Kathmandu, where we were teaching English to the young monks. The program was two weeks long, with both Saturdays off. The program administrators in Kathmandu were amazing and helped us feel settled immediately upon arrival. Everything was so organized and neither of us ever felt unsafe. The program required little planning on our part, as the team in Kathmandu took care of most of the logistics prior to our arrival. We were picked up at the airport on time, taken to the hostel where we met the program coordinators and our hosts, and then taken to our home-stay a couple of days later. The teaching was amazing, and was a completely unforgettable experience for the both of us, and we would highly recommend it. The monastery was so welcoming, and the boys were so helpful and willing to learn. Exploring during the day was so fun and we never ran out of places to see, the people in Nepal are also amazing and are so helpful and kind. The home-stay was also great, as we were given a safe place to stay with good food and friendly hosts. Overall, my experience with Global Crossroads - Nepal was amazing, and incredibly well-organized!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
If we did the experience over again we would extend the trip by a couple of weeks and visit Pokhara and Chitwan!
Response from Global Crossroad

Dear Samantha,

Thank you so much for volunteering with us and helping the young monks learn English. We are really happy to know that your enjoyed your volunteering experience as well as the country of Nepal and the people.

Yes, you should definitely visits Pokahra, it is a beautiful and scenic place, cleaner and less populated than Kathmandu. We are sure you will love it. May be next time. Until then, we wish you all the best!

Oliver

The cheapest program, with a great experience

Global Crossroads always answers very quickly if you have any concerns due to your volunteering. The staff are also very nice and can help you set up everything you want to see. The culture and language program was also very informative and really helped with talking a bit Nepali. The Medical project in Nepal was very cool and i learnt a lot. The hospital staff was very nice, and loved to explain the cases, and teach you the most basic skills of nursing and being a doctor. My coordinator was very flexible and quick to help me book tickets, guiding or recommendations. The natives in Nepal are very nice and friendly. They are always trying to help you. Kathmandu is also a great city, and they have almost everything from great temples to hiking gear.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Since i did the medical program a lot of the cases could be nerve-racking, but also a very good experience. It really gets you close to the health care system and the health care proving in Nepal.
Response from Global Crossroad

Dear Oliver, thank you for volunteering with us. We are happy to hear that you learnt from our Medical project and got to observe the health care system in Nepal. We hope this experience will be useful for your future career.

We are also happy that you enjoyed Kathmandu and the local people, and interaction with our staffs. We wish you all the best and hope to see you again someday!

Kelly

Global crossroads monestary teaching

I have been here only 1 week and have already been welcomed warmly and made to feel at home. The language course was helpful and Pratima ( my teacher) was very patient and knowledgeable. It might be helpful to get tested a few times on what you know to keep you accountable and challenge students more. The food is delicious and you will be well taken care of at the hostel by a lady named Bikani. I wish that there had been more volunteers here as I took the language course alone and was the only one in the hostel but now I am with my host family and one other volunteer. They will take you around the city to see a few temples and teach a little but about the culture which sets you up nicely for the adventures to come ! Nepal is beautiful, the people and food are great. As long as you are self motivated and ok with spending some time alone you will love this program! Savour every minute of it.

Grouping more volunteers together. Testing more in the language course.
harini

Volunteer in Nepal mary children help centre

When I came to Nepal I did not expect much. But, just stepping foot onto the ground of the help center made me feel that i could help the society and of course the children. The room i was staying in was not the best but i made do with what i had. I just thought about how these children have to sleep on these beds everyday and they do not make a fuss about it, therefore, i told myself it is just 4 nights I can handle it. When it came to the food I was not expecting chicken or any kind of meat. I am not fussy with food but the food was not to my taste buds of spicy and very hot food it was easy and simple and tasty. I usually do not like non-spicy and vegetarian food as I love meat but i to bite by bite with a open mind and heart. The children were friendly and playful. i would take alternate nights spending one night with the older kids and one night with the younger kids. Not being bias but I feel that i connected more with the older kids as we are around the same age but when it came to the younger kids I had to find my inner child and play and talk to them. It was fun interacting with everyone. Each had their own type of personality and qualities which made each one unique and having a place in my heart. The company was very well organized from picking up a the airport to letting me have a place to stay for the night and having very nice home cooked food. Thank you so much for this wonderful fruitful experience. Hope to come back again.

Mirella

Taught young monks english in a Buddhist monastery

My experience initially was a bit shell shocked. I moved into a room with a shower that had no hot water, and the toilet did not always work. However, I did not come for the luxuries of the Ritz Carlton, I am came for the experience, AND and experience it was. I stayed with an initial host family for a week and learned NEPALI from a wonderful teacher named Pratima. I do wish however that I did not have to spend a week in this place because I was bored after the Nepali lessons and it was not in a part of time particularly interesting. A week later I moved into another host family house, and the situation was much improved because I finally got to meet my students and I was also living in a better location. I liked this second location more because it was in close proximity to monkey temple and also close to the fun downtown district, THAMEL. Again, I was not pleased that I had to take cold showers and that there were power outages at moments.

Meeting and teaching the monks was an awesome experience. I fell in love with all my students. I am not a teacher in the USA, but teaching comes innately to me and being around such sharp, thirsty minds was an honor. It was also a great honor to join them in their ceremonies, and learning about such an old and brilliant culture.

I do not think that the airport fee us justified. It's $50 when I can go to the airport round trip for $20 or less. I also thought that the daily cost of living fee was too high. I could stay in a hotel in Thamel, with hot water for $15 USD and afford to eat anything I want. I was only a mile from the schools. In the future, I will not be staying with a host family as I do not feel I need to have a curfew and eat the same food every day.

In summation, despite some of the negatives, such as cold water, and over priced living costs, I had a magical experience with my students and they touch my heart to this very day. I will not forget the intrinsic and extrinsic beauty of Nepal. I hope to return some day AND I highly insist that every one have this experience.

I have recommended this program to a friend but I warned him about the shower situation, the early curfew, and the surprise fees such as, getting charged 500 rupees a week from DIDI when I could stay at a hotel and get free internet.
Scott

Medical Program in Nepal

Me and my friend went to Nepal with the intention of Volunteering in A Medical Program and Exploring the culture. I must say both of our intention was well met through Global Crossroad Program. We really enjoyed our stay in Nepal. We had a teacher to teach us Nepalese Language and Culture. This was very helpful. The hospital was a bit difficult in the beginning because we could not understand a lot. We improved a lot over the 4 weeks of our stay. We feel very fortunate to have learned about the health care system in Nepal and all about the culture. We really loved our host mom. She was so sweet and an Amazing Cook!

Everything was arranged well and you could always talk to the members from Global Crossroad. They are doing a wonderful job!

This program should have more medical equipment and resources. If so I believe we would have been able to reach more individuals in need. I would also say that proper arrangements made though Global Crossroad for volunteers to reach and help out the people in the most needing communities of Nepal would be great not only for the communities but also for the volunteers.

Location:
Pokhara Airport
( PKR )
Lukla Airport
( LUA )

Nepal is well known for holding 8 of the 10 highest peaks in the world with the most famous and tallest being Mount Everest. Although most people think of the many large peaks that are prevalent across the landlocked country of Nepal, around a third of the country is considered subtropical. Whether you are a climber or not, Nepal has a variety of activities for any type of traveler.

About Global Crossroad

Global Crossroad, LLC is one of the world's fastest growing international volunteer vacation organizations. Its ever-expanding programs offer a variety of volunteer and travel programs in 18 different countries throughout Asia, Africa, Europe, and...