Nepal - Volunteer English Teachers Needed

Volunteers do not need to be a qualified or experienced teacher but must have a strong command of the English language. The only skills required for volunteering for this programme are a willingness to learn and an open mind. The main resources you will have in your classroom are a blackboard and a piece of chalk. Despite this, the enthusiasm of the children and the appreciation of your colleagues are sure to make the voluntary teaching in Nepal a highly rewarding experience.

No matter what you believe your skill level to be you have something to offer. Volunteers assist with creating low-cost teaching materials, organising extra-­‐curricular activities and promoting a more participatory approach to teaching.

Caite

Eye-opening

I spent about two months with Umbrella, living in the Kathmandu volunteer house on weekends and the village that was hosting me during the week. I planned and facilitated lessons and games for the local school-having the ability to choose what age groups I wanted to work with. The language barrier was more challenging that I had anticipated, and there was some pressure in preparing the students for their exams, but the Umbrella staff were amazingly supportive; providing substantial resources and open communication. I was able to learn a lot about Nepali culture and education, while refining my skills as an aspiring teacher. This having been my first time traveling alone and being away from home for an extended period, I found it difficult emotionally, but with the staff and other volunteers I felt safe, supported, and a valuable member of the organization. Volunteering with Umbrella was not only a positive experience for me, but a transformative one.

I would have loved to have been in touch with previous volunteers to learn about their experiences and what to expect, however that would simply be an added bonus to wonderful organization.
Aisling

Felt I made a real contribution-very positive experience!

I lived with a host family who made me feel part of the family from the very start, my host father called me his "Irish daughter"! By the end of my time volunteering at the school I could see a real difference in the English levels of some of the children, and they were all much more enthusiastic in practising their English! Apart from English classes, we had art club, played cricket and went on lovely walks with the village kids. I used to come back and spend the weekends in Kathmandu in the volunteer house and chill out, eat western food and spend time with other volunteers-a well deserved break!

About The Umbrella Foundation

Ten years of civil war in Nepal has displaced tens of thousands of children. With countless children orphaned and even more trafficked and/or abandoned, Umbrella Foundation was established to rescue destitute children and give them access to...