Nicaragua: Unique, Original.

Nicaragua: Unique, Original.

Experience the remarkable scenery filled with everything from tropical jungles to volcanoes while also providing medical services to villages in need.

Volunteers perform house clinics, community health surveys, village triage, and clinics in different areas and towns, based on local needs at the time of the trip. Teams usually consist of 6-7 students and are accompanied by ISL staff and licensed health professionals.

Second only to Haiti, Nicaragua is one of the poorest nations in Latin America. Our ISL medical, dental, public health, nursing, and veterinary teams arrive in Managua for orientation and seminars in tropical medicine, taking vital signs, pharmacology, house clinic-community triage, clinic organization, and medical Spanish, as well as an overview of the history and socioeconomics of Nicaragua.

To top off this incredible experience, Nicaragua is rich with culture and loaded with historical treasures!

North America » Nicaragua » Managua
North America » Nicaragua
Project Types
Year Round
Hotel
Two meals per day, all lodging, land and water transport, guides, tips, museum and event fees, field academic program costs, border costs, security costs, project supplies.

Sierra
Managua, Nicaragua
University of South Carolina

ISL in Managua

My overall experience was wonderful. I loved getting to help as much as I could in such a short amount of time. I feel like everything ran very smoothly and allowed for learning as well as volunteering and recreation. I think all of the ISL staff was extremely helpful! Everyone was so kind and willing to help in any way possible. The doctors that accompanied us were also wonderful as well! I would most definitely recommend this to other students interested in international healthcare and volunteer work.

Lesleigh
Burlington
Virginia Tech

Omar

Omar Gradiz was the first and last person in Nicaragua that I saw. I truly believe that if it wasn't for Omar, this trip would have been a lot different. Right away, Omar made me feel very comfortable and safe. There were only 3 people in our mission group, so we each got to know Omar pretty well. He was funny, happy, patient, kind, and just a very good-hearted person. I asked him if he missed his family, because I hadn't realized that he was going to be away from his home for long, too. When he thought of them you could just see the happiness and longing for them in his eyes. But he simply replied "I've got to pay the bills," and that was all. He was so hard working and would stay up late and always ask if we needed anything at all. I believe Omar is a blessing to my life. He helped me through this meaningful experience with no complaints and a smile on his face. I'm sure he gets bored or wants his friends and family but he never once complained and always put us and our needs first. I got to see some amazing, eye-opening things this January, and I will always be thankful for my trip to Nicaragua and Omar Gradiz.

I think the program could be improved by having more small groups like ours. I felt that I made more personal connections and had a more meaningful experience because of this.

International Service Learning (ISL) has been connecting volunteers with meaningful service projects and educational opportunities around the world for more than 20 years. ISL's staff are professionals in health care, travel, transpiration, translation, etc. The support ISL offers its volunteers is unmatched. ISL sends volunteers