Health and Medical Opportunities in Nicaragua

Health and Medical Opportunities in Nicaragua

Assist in providing community and medical services to those in need while gaining global health experience and immersing yourself in a new culture!

Volunteers perform house clinics, community health surveys, village triage, and clinics in different areas based on local needs. Second only to Haiti, Nicaragua is one of the poorest nations in Latin America. Our ISL medical, dental, public health, nursing, and veterinary teams arrive in Managua for orientation and seminars in tropical medicine, taking vital signs, pharmacology, house clinic-community triage, clinic organization, and medical Spanish, as well as an overview of the history and socioeconomics of Nicaragua.

ISL Programs in Nicaragua:
- Global Health
- Dental
- Nursing
- Veterinary
- Community Enrichment

• ISL has over 20 years of experience providing volunteers opportunities in 12 different countries
  • Our programs are always coordinated by our in-country employees, who are locals and know the area and culture well
  • We work under the direction of the local government Ministries of Health, and students are only involved to the extent that these officials approve
  • We treat acute conditions only and maintain contact with, and in most cases, re-visit work sites again and again to ensure a lasting relationship
North America » Nicaragua » Managua
North America » Nicaragua
Project Types
Year Round
Hotel
Price includes a customized itinerary and pre-travel planning, airport pick up/drop off, lodging, ground transportation, 2 meals per day, 24/7 ISL staff accompaniment, local medical professionals, learning seminars and project supplies.

Sierra
Managua, Nicaragua
University of South Carolina

ISL in Managua

My overall experience was wonderful. I loved getting to help as much as I could in such a short amount of time. I feel like everything ran very smoothly and allowed for learning as well as volunteering and recreation. I think all of the ISL staff was extremely helpful! Everyone was so kind and willing to help in any way possible. The doctors that accompanied us were also wonderful as well! I would most definitely recommend this to other students interested in international healthcare and volunteer work.

Lesleigh
Burlington
Virginia Tech

Omar

Omar Gradiz was the first and last person in Nicaragua that I saw. I truly believe that if it wasn't for Omar, this trip would have been a lot different. Right away, Omar made me feel very comfortable and safe. There were only 3 people in our mission group, so we each got to know Omar pretty well. He was funny, happy, patient, kind, and just a very good-hearted person. I asked him if he missed his family, because I hadn't realized that he was going to be away from his home for long, too. When he thought of them you could just see the happiness and longing for them in his eyes. But he simply replied "I've got to pay the bills," and that was all. He was so hard working and would stay up late and always ask if we needed anything at all. I believe Omar is a blessing to my life. He helped me through this meaningful experience with no complaints and a smile on his face. I'm sure he gets bored or wants his friends and family but he never once complained and always put us and our needs first. I got to see some amazing, eye-opening things this January, and I will always be thankful for my trip to Nicaragua and Omar Gradiz.

I think the program could be improved by having more small groups like ours. I felt that I made more personal connections and had a more meaningful experience because of this.

International Service Learning (ISL) is a volunteer organization offering global health, education, and community enrichment opportunities in twelve different countries. Our mission is to support cultural awareness, service-based learning, and sustainable development projects through experiential and responsible travel.

All of our programs are organized and