NICARAGUA: Disadvantaged/Orphaned Children Service

In the hills outside of Nicaragua is a children’s care facility. . The orphanage works with orphans and children abandoned or abused by their parents. It also works with at-risk girls whose parents or guardians have problems such as alcoholism, drug addiction, and prostitution or because they have become street children.

By participating in this service project your team can make a huge difference in children's lives by helping them with their schoolwork, participating in arts and crafts projects as well as sport activities. Additionally, your will assist in delivering much needed ESL (English) lessons so the children can be afforded better opportunities in the future. As part of this service project you may also help repair facilities in which the students live, go to school, and grow up in. This in effect will help create an environment which is essential to the healthy growth of each child, while helping the child reach their full potential.

Amber

Amazing Experience

Having the ability to help in any capacity is an amazing strength. I took my children on this trip because I had already been on prior volunteer trips to Nicaragua and I wanted to share my experiences and show them that even though they are small, they can have an amazing impact on people they do not know. Playing endless hours of Uno, Checkers, and dominoes with the kids at the orphanage was great - there smiles were priceless. We were able to bridge the communication gap and teach them some English and they were able to teach us some Spanish through play. My favorite memory is my son running around the courtyard with 2 of the boys from the orphanage playing with water guns and getting absolutely soaked with a giant grin on his face. While there we also helped patch up walls and paint back rooms where the children store extra clothing and bedding. The gratitude from the nuns for such a small task was heartwarming. I felt extremely comfortable in Nicaragua. I do not speak a lot of Spanish so I would have my daughter (who does speak) translate when we would walk to the small community stores to buy candy, sodas, and locally made cookies and bread. We were lucky to be there for the New Years holiday so we were able to watch fireworks being shot off in the street along with other community members. Earlier that night we ate dinner with a local family and got to know of there experiences and get a real personal taste of the community.

Off hand I really can't think of anything. One of our extra excursions didn't go according to plan - the tour company brought us back to the hotel too early and didn't take us everywhere they were supposed to, but it worked out because my kids were tired (as were we) and just wanted to relax.