Cross-Cultural Solutions: Volunteer Abroad in Peru

Cross-Cultural Solutions: Volunteer Abroad in Peru

Peru has historically been one of the poorest and most unequal countries in Latin America. Despite sustained economic growth for over a decade, distribution of wealth remains one of Peru’s greatest challenges. More than 70% of the population lives in cities, with 33% of the urban poor found in the capital of Lima. It is estimated that 1/3 of the population of Lima live in poor conditions in shantytowns like Villa el Salvador.

Join Cross-Cultural Solutions in Peru as we continue to build on nearly two decades of volunteer work in Villa el Salvador. Together we work on programs that reinforce the importance of education, health, and dignity for children, mothers, and their families. The educational, recreational, and public health curriculums we deliver targets school dropout rates and promote child health and the empowerment of families that are under-resourced.

CCS has been working in Peru for nearly two decades as a leader in early childhood education with the support of our international volunteer base.

South America » Peru » Lima
South America
Spring Break
Winter
Year Round

Peru uses type A & C electrical outlets, which you can compare to those you use at home here: https://www.power-plugs-sockets.com/us/peru/. Remember that our team of Program Specialists will also be there to guide you through every step of the process, and all questions, as you prepare for your CCS experience.

Alicia Harris
Alicia
Montgomery, Al
Alabama State University

Los Martincitos in Lima

So I made it to Lima, Peru three days ago & yesterday I started my first day working with the senior citizens at Los Martincitos. The elderly who attend Los Martincitos on a regular basis usually have been neglected by family, abused, socially rejected for race or age reasons, have a lack of resources to take care of themselves... Today as I walked in with the other volunteers I was expecting to see sad situations, but it was the complete opposite..There was so much life when I walked into the room. The seniors and staff welcomed us with open arms, kisses, hugs & did a welcoming ceremony for us too. After I help cut up vegetables for the cooks, I served breakfast and lunch ....Just before my shift was over I took my camera out just to take pictures of the place and this feisty beautiful soul named Delia walked into my shot and started posing haha she can't hear or speak so we communicated with each other through hand signals and gestures ...We instantly connected..Soon after she pointed to the wheel chairs for us to take a picture together , she put on these glasses.. The rest is history

WiFi in the house was not all day. It was from 5pm-7am. Wasn't good because my mom tried to contact me a few times and they turned out to be very important missed calls.

Signe
Iowa City, IA

Travel to Peru!

I went to Lima, Peru with my community college who partners with Cross Cultural Solutions and it was a life changing experience. We met a lot of different people from families to individual people who were there by themselves. This was my first experience abroad and I want to keep traveling. I chose to do the study abroad trip with my community college to do something for myself and see how other people in the world. I think seeing other parts of the world helps you see the world with better eyes because you realize that not everyone is equal with work or there environment.
The staff was wonderful. For me the language barrier was probably the hardest thing to work with but it was a lot easier than I thought it would be and I discovered that I actually understood more Spanish then I realized I did. Everyone who works with Cross Cultural Solutions does a wonderful job at explaining all of the different programs and matching people to the different volunteer sites that are available.
The coast off of Lima is breath taking and I think that everyone should see it at some point in their life time. The architecture is beautiful and it amazes me how old architecture was built so beautifully and structurally safe.
I think that my favorite part of going to Peru with Cross Cultural Solutions is that I felt safe no matter where we went, wither it was with a couple of people or a bigger group of people.

We had the same breakfast everyday, it was really good but towards the end it was getting kind of tiring. I'm a pretty picky eater and I think that I did pretty good in Peru there were only 3 meals I think that I really didn't like, but I did try a lot of new things/ combinations of food while there.

Ashley
Waltham, MA
Franklin Pierce University

CCS Peru

My fiance and I would go back to volunteer w/CCS in a heartbeat! This was my first time traveling abroad and the CCS staff was extremely helpful and supportive. We were in Peru for 2 weeks and we were able to experience so many beautiful locations and meet amazing people. I loved the Home Base and the Director. It was awesome to feel at home, even in a country I had never been to and didn't speak the language.

The cost, it was somewhat expensive.

Aundreah
Michigan
Oakland University

Overall Positive Experience

This program is especially thorough and safe. The staff are extremely helpful, nice, and comforting. The food was some of the best food I have ever had in my life. I am a picky eater, and had no problems. The volunteer work is productive and truly life changing, however if your main objective is just to travel or volunteer this program is not for you. This program offers a healthy mix of both which truly offers you an eclectic mix of history, empathy, and fun!

The program could improve the weekly activities such as Spanish lessons and dance lessons.Although they were very fun, the lessons were in the house. I often felt obligated to attend them even though I wanted to explore Peru a bit more outside of the home.

Maria
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Unforgettable Experience

Our group worked in an elderly day center and a couple of schools in the Villa El Salvador area of Lima. I have never met such warm friendly people.
No matter how impoverished or hard the lives of these wonderful people are, they all are so happy to have you with them.
Hugs every day from all the elderly residents as well as the children. They will permanently reside in my heart, I Loved the entire experience!

I understand the reason for the amount of time we spent at the locations each day, as it was for the safety of the volunteers. But there were days I wished we could have spent a little more time with them.

Paty
Chicago
DePaul University

Peru

I only did a one week program and I enjoyed it so much that I wish I had the time to do two weeks. It was an amazing experience with excellent staff and plenty to do at the site. Volunteers could choose to help in the kitchen, do crafts with the seniors or even just dance. The elderly were so open and friendly when we visited; I don't think I have ever been hugged so much in my life.

The program also allows plenty of free time to sightsee in Lima and even organizes group trips to sites outside the city. If you have the time I recommend adding a trip to Machu Picchu at the end of your visit. Overall volunteering with CCS was trip that I will always remember.

Julia
Washington DC

Amazing!! Wonderful trip!

The CCS Lima staff was fantastic. The people were so welcoming and friendly and I felt very comfortable. I never felt unsafe during my time there. My volunteer placement was a ton of fun and I they really needed my help. All of the volunteer placements in Lima need as much help as they can get. I strongly encourage others to go on CCS Lima, it will change your life!

If I could change one thing, it would be the price. However, I definitely feel like I got what I payed for. The accommodations were above my expectations and the staff was wonderful.

Sheena
Pocatello, Idaho
Idaho State University

Lima, Peru

I had an amazing experience in Lima, Peru. The CCS family in Lima was amazing to work with. They were very welcoming, the food was awesome, and they all had amazing fun personalities. My placement was at INABIF. I got to spend my days with 3 and 4 year olds. I think in the end they helped me more than I helped them. It was so amazing getting to see their bright smiling faces everyday. There is not a day that goes by that I don't think of them. There were days I got frustrated because I felt like I was more of a distraction to the kids than help. My director Kique reassured me that I was making a difference which was nice to hear. My only advice is to stay longer than 2 weeks. I was just barely getting into the swing of things at my placement. Also take the time to learn the native language. You will be able to help so much more if you do.

I think the only improvement would be to express how important it is to learn the language. Before I left for Peru they said it was ok that I was only a beginner. I would have been able to make a bigger difference if I would have taken the time to become more fluent in the native language.

Sandra
Denver, CO
Colorado State University

Educational

I learned so much about the Peruvian culture, their love of family and love for the simple things in life. They make use of every thing that the land has to offer. I felt very safe in the compound where we stayed. The food that we ate was from the Peruvian cultural and very delicious. On the trip, I was able to help others in so many ways plus go on excursions that were provided to us. I wished that I could speak Spanish to communicate better but most Peruvians speak English. The whole experience was very rewarding, meaningful, and enlightening. I didn't realize that most of Peru is desert except for the lush rain forests. Everywhere I went, I could see evidence of their ancient culture and how it is used today. Would love to return and volunteer.

This was the first program that I volunteered for out of the USA and a very safe environment was provided. It was very well organized. I think the cost was well priced and I could claim it on my taxes as a donation. I wouldn't change a thing that they haven't already thought of.

Belinda
Santa Fe, NM

Volunteer journey to Peru with CCS

While volunteering abroad, I had the chance to experience another country on a deep and personal level. To be immersed in another culture changes your perspective on life. My time spent there allowed me the opportunity to utilize my previous experience teaching children. I returned with an increases appreciation and gratitude for life. On a personal note, my sister passed away 5 years ago. Her dream was to travel to Machu Picchu. When my volunteer week ended, I traveled to Lima to Cusco Peru with a crematory locket which contained a pinch of my sister's ashes. I felt her presence with me as I released her ashes and made her dream come true as part of my special journey.

The cost of the program could be made more affordable so more people could have the opportunity to experience it.

Kristi
St. Cloud MN
Concordia College- Moorhead

Even better than I expected

The staff was wonderful. They were very helpful and knowledgeable. They kept us informed on everything going on from day to day. They had tutors, tours, lessons and more. We had spanish tutors, dance lessons, cooking lessons, tours of cathedrals, trip to the beach, tour of pachacamac and more. The program is wonderful. I would recommend it to ANYONE.

LT
Denver, co
University of Kansas

Cross cultural solutions is amazing!!

Volunteering through CCS in Lima was amazing. The staff was great, I felt very safe and I came away with an understanding of the challenges that Lima faces. I would highly recommend this program to anyone looking to contribute abroad.

Tai
San Francisco, CA
University of California- Santa Barbara

Once in a lifetime experience

My best friend and I choose to volunteer and intern in Ayacucho, Peru were we worked in a hospital, lab and mental disability school. In our first task in the hospital of the first day of our program, we were asked to help in delivering a newborn life into the world! I highly recommend doing this program through Cross Cultural solutions because it provides room and board, food, weekend trips, language classes and afternoon activities to help one further understand the culture. Although the price seems expensive, in the long run there are not really any programs that offer and all inclusive program in and out of the volunteering itself. Trust me, in college we researched many volunteering programs and this was most well rounded and just the best program to volunteer through. Lastly, I highly recommend Ayacucho because its a small town full of culture and tradition and a place that needs help. It is a great place if you want to indulge in a cultural experience and learn about what Peru is all about. In almost every interview or conversation about traveling or past experience in a work environment, volunteering through CCS dominants the conversation. I will never forget this once in a lifetime experience where you feel rewarded in helping those of need and making lifetime friendships all over the globe. Also, the CCS staff is the best and gives you everything you need.

At the time of being a college student, it was a little pricy on the surface but after the program, it was worth every dime.

achinni
Indianapolis, Indiana

Hard to believe. . It Was A Wonderful Life Changing Experience

I found the whole experience with Cross Cultural Solutions one of the most impactfule experiences of my life. I didn't know what to expect, but found myself part of a wonderful mix of friends that became my family for the time I was there. While we were free to enjoy food from local restaurants, there was always good, healthy, safe and delicious foods served family style with people who's conversations and company I miss to this day. A typical day started at 8:00 am, and allowed us volunteer at community based organizations (My placement was a senior center, which both needed the help we provided, and provided the learning and perspective that I found most moving) that serve those with great needs, and little to no resources. Whether it was helping with preparing food, or cleaning, or spending time serving, we were busy, happy and part of a greater experience than I thought I would have. Later in the day we learned about the history and culture of those we were serving.
I came back changed, and I can't exactly say how, but I can say it has and continues to be one of the most impactful and wonderful experiences I have had. Our living quarters were clean, safe and afforded all our basic needs, but were not a "five star hotel" I highly recommend this for those who have a desire to serve others, and want to safely explore and experience another country where life for so many is afforded only a fraction of the opportunity I have at times taken for granted.

fchang
Boston, MA

Fun, Efficient and Valuable Volunteer Opportunity

The CCS staff in Lima was supportive and fun. I worked with an elderly community center, Los Martincitos, in the shantytowns. In addition to spending time with the folks and cooking traditional Peruvian meals, the highlight of the experience was going on house visits with Sister Jacqui. These firsthand experiences with the families who lived in Villa el Salvador gave me and my fellow volunteers deep insight into the community and everyday life. The program also had sun social activities with the group and I formed a couple friends for life! We had time to travel to Ica and Huacachina on the weekend and I traveled to Cusco/Machu Picchu after the program. A great program for those looking for something short where meals, lodging, placement, etc. are taken care of.

ebarto
San Antonio, TX
Small Group (1-15)

Rewarding and Fun program

Through the CCS program in Lima, I worked at Mother Teresa's Home for the Dying and Destitute for 2 weeks where we cared for older men who had been abandoned. We were able to accompany them on their annual beach day trip where we played games and had so much fun! We found ways to communicate despite the language barrier. There was plenty to do around Lima, and we took a weekend trip to Cusco and Machu Picchu - a must, it was such an amazing experience!

For 22 years, CCS has been the standard setter for the safest, most meaningful, and enriching volunteer abroad programs while striving to be a global leader in child development and women's empowerment.

Since 1995, over 35,000 people have volunteered with Cross-Cultural Solutions, providing meaningful and