Become a Global Health Volunteer in Huancayo, Peru

Climbing Huaytalpallana.

At Project Huancayo, FIMRC strives to make an impact in the highlands of Peru. Peru’s medical facilities are critically underfunded, thus FIMRC aims to strengthen the current infrastructure rather than operate a stand alone facility.

Our site offers volunteers unique exposure to public hospitals and clinics vastly different from those in the US. Volunteers will have the opportunity to conduct rounds alongside medical personnel as well as assist with public health initiatives with our partner organizations. On health campaigns, volunteers have the opportunity to gain clinical experience by providing HIV and STI testing. Volunteers are also instrumental in carrying out health education lessons in local orphanages and providing psychosocial support for teen mothers who have experienced trauma.

FIMRC is proud to be a grassroots sustainable organization. Volunteer with FIMRC and make an impact with an organization that's working in the community even long after your trip!

Flexible Booking Options & Virtual Volunteer Opportunities

We allow flexible booking options as well as virtual volunteer opportunities!

Sarina

College Student Review of Huancayo 8-day Trip

I went to Huancayo with a group of 5-6 other girls when I was a sophomore in undergrad. It was my first time visiting South America and hopefully won't be my last. One of the biggest mental hurdles I had to overcome was the sheer amount of travel time, which ate up over an entire day of the journey. The 8hr plane ride followed by an 8 hr bus ride was tough, to be honest, but it was well worth it once we got going on the projects and activities. I experienced activities such as OR shadowing, visiting a remote area and setting up a pop-up clinic to take blood glucose readings and administer dental fluoride treatments, visiting an orphanage of young girls who had been abused by their families and teaching them about self-esteem and conversing with them in Spanish, and also learning different suture stitches on a pig's foot. I know these experiences can be tailored more closely to the interests of the group so don't be afraid to communicate what you'd like to see or do! Besides those activities, we had free time to explore around our homestay and we got to see some really cool little parks with amazing architecture and artwork that made for some cool pictures, in addition to the beautiful mountains, glaciers, and lagoons we saw on a hike on a mountain. Overall great trip and it's been a few years and I'm still raving about it!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
If I had the chance to do everything over again, I would definitely take fundraising more seriously to offset the cost of the trip. For those who are full-time employees, a little over 1k might not seem like a huge investment...for college kids, it's a very different story. I was lucky enough that my parents were willing to help me financially but I know that is not usually the case. The advice I would give to someone committing to a trip would definitely be to take fundraising more seriously and reach out to friends and family who share your passion for helping others who are not as well-off.
Jesus

Huancayo

FIMRC organized an incredible experience for anyone to take advantage of. I visited the Huancayo, Peru project site for the Summer 2016 trip. As a Peruvian/American dual citizen, I received priceless cultural and professional experience. This trip consists of the perfect combination of pleasurable and serious activities that really make the month spent abroad fly by. You really bond with your fellow colleagues and the community making it feel like a second home. The medical experiences that you receive are things you'll only experience beyond medical school in America and they indicate whether or not you want to go into the field if you're contemplating it. Overall, Huacayo, Peru was amazing and is only something you can experience for yourself instead of reading about it.

Hold off on the pachamanca.
Priya

A Summer in Chanchamayo

Entering a new culture means entering a new world. And in that new world, the idea of service must be redefined. Love of language, appreciation of tradition, willingness to adapt, and eagerness to learn all play a crucial role. Without an understanding of local people and integration with newfound culture, progress in professional areas is limited. This summer, FIMRC helped me learn all of this, and more.

I spent June-July 2016 with the Foundation for International Medical Relief of Children (FIMRC), in La Merced, Peru (locally referred to as Chanchamayo). FIMRC’s mission is to “improve the health of families in the developing world through the implementation of innovative and self-sustainable health improvement programs” (FIMRC). In La Merced I partnered with hospitals and native communities, working on clinical rotations, health campaigns, educational presentations, and a few independent projects. However, above anything else, the FIMRC experience and local staff taught me this summer was about cultivating strong, trusting ties with native Ashaninkas and Chanchamayans, sharing beautiful life moments together, and showing them we have just as much to learn from them as they do from us.

A think requiring some sort of language proficiency based on the site being visited would be useful to help volunteers have a more productive and impactful experience with the local culture and environment.
Pat

Excellence

FIMRC is an amazing organization to work with. The work I did was based out of their site in Huancayo, Peru so my experience specially speaks to the success of that particular location. The staff was extremely friendly and supportive. They were always there for all of the volunteers and by the end of our trip they became our good friends. FIMRC is an excellent organization for premedical students because of the clinical exposure participants gain. Whether it be through community outreach programs, observing shadows in the OR, checking a patients glucose level, or even planning a wedding, FIMRC is undoubtedly an organization that anyone who works with will agree with me saying that it was completely worth it.

Russell Ridulfo
Russell

Abuelita and Company

This past June I am happy to say that I served with FIMRC (Foundation for International Medical Relief of Children) in the (likely) unheard-of city of La Merced in Peru. There, as an itinerant health fellow with 12 other volunteers, we went to various native communities as well as city centers to conduct health campaigns and give medical lessons.
We all lived together for the month in Rosa, Luis and Abuelita's house and were able to enjoy some spectacular food. Plus, the avocados from their backyard were the size of cantaloupes.
The city is situated on the eastern base of the Andes, fringing the jungle. Being in this ecologically transitional region made for some wonderful weather and beautiful sunsets. Each day we were able to immerse ourselves in the local medical community and regularly visit schools for our lessons. This was arguably my favorite part of this trip; giving humorous lessons at one of the schools and helping the understaffed special needs school by playing with the children. Overall, it was truly rewarding because no matter our background or level of experience-- we all provided integral parts in brightening the community's collective day.​

The La Merced hospital rounds were slightly lacking in their educational worth; maybe the recruitment of some more specialists for shadowing would be good- Other than that, the exposure diverse and wonderful!
Madison

Volunteering in Huancayo

I was volunteering over the summer and just happened to be there during the 4th of July, so the other volunteers and I (with the help of one of the awesome host families) put on a celebratory independence party/barbeque since we weren't able to celebrate in the United States. We made American food like hamburgers and macaroni and cheese (and got Oreos, of course), and we even set off fireworks at night! Some of the Peruvians in the park nearby were a little confused, but our own Peruvian friends had fun with us. We even had a student from England celebrate with us!

I would change some aspects of the planning/organization of it. At times, I wished that we would have had the medical campaigns that we did planned out a little more to include coordination with doctors in the communities we were serving. It was difficult at times to serve the patients as we were just undergraduates (although some were medical students), so we would often have to tell them to go back later and see the doctor; however, we had no way of knowing if they ever would go back.
Angelina

When disaster strikes

Hours after we arrived in La Merced Peru disaster struck. A mud slide had taken out dozens of houses, leaving people homeless and in distress. As a group of 17 we came with many different specialties. We broke up into groups and assest the situation. A group of engineers were able to build and demonstrate a water filtration system using natural resources, another group came up with a health talk and provided gift bags with hygiene products, the last thing this community needed was an outbreak. Another group was in charge of helping the children cope with this tragedy by bringing toys and games to make them smile. This was an amazing experience for us to be able to use the donations we brought to help in a crisis, and make an impact on this community.

Cayla

Last minute planning, Lifetime of memories

The family my family and I stayed with were so loving and welcoming! With our lack of Spanish, there were times to where we were speaking English, french, and Spanish all in one sentence! The food was AMAZING. Dreaming of the day I can have lomo saltado again...

The medical aspect was great, but sometimes there was too much time for one activity, when it seemed like there could be more medical activities to fit in.