Kaya Volunteer Programs in Peru

Exploring Machu Picchu
Exploring Machu Picchu
Man drinks from tree in rainforest
Man drinks from tree in rainforest

Home to incredible bucket-list destinations including the Inca Trail and Machu Picchu, the Andes mountain range, and of course the Amazon Rainforest, Peru is the perfect place for the adventurous traveller. Kaya Responsible Travel offers volunteer or internship placements in Cusco and the Amazon which allow you to give back and make a real difference, while you travel.

Projects in the Amazon rainforest concentrate on either environmental or wildlife conservation. You will live in a remarkable, remote location in the heart of the Amazon, and with each day will experience the incredible bio-diversity of the Amazon. With thousands of species of birds, insects, mammals, reptiles and plants indigenous to the Amazon, this experience will stay with you forever.

Alternatively you can work on community based projects in the wonderful city of Cusco, and make a real difference to vulnerable communities including young mothers, at-risk youths, and people living with disabilities.

• Live and work in the Amazon Rainforest, and experience one of the world's most diverse ecological sites
  • Intern/ volunteer in environmental or wildlife conservation in the Amazon Rainforest, and make a real difference to conservation efforts and research
  • Volunteer on community and social projects with vulnerable communities such as at-risk youths, people living with disabilities, and young mothers
  • Travel Peru in your spare time and witness incredible sites including 15th century Inca Citadel - Machu Picchu
  • Experience traditional Peruvian food and festivals in the beautiful colonial city of Cusco

New destination added: Jamaica

Jamaica is a country with a rich history, and its music, food, and idyllic landscapes are famous globally. But poverty in Jamaica is still significant, and there for some there is a lack of access to quality education and healthcare. Sign-up to our brand new intern and volunteer programs in Jamaica and work on education, health, and conservation projects while recharging on the weekends in paradise!

Ben

Peru Speech Therapy Internship

I spent 3 weeks in Cusco, Peru working as an intern at CEBE Don Jose San Martin, a school for kids with communication and intellectual disabilities. I worked in a classroom helping a teacher plan and create activities and lessons for the kids. It was an amazing experience and I am so happy to have done it. The Kaya team was so helpful and supportive throughout my entire experience and made it run very smoothly. The internship is now called a special needs internship probably because the job is more useful for people wanting to work with special needs children. Cusco is a magical city and I definitely wish I could've spent more time there. There's always an exciting tour waiting for you. The food is great, the people are friendly, it's a wonderful time. I strongly recommend it.

Have an open mind, be willing to go out of your comfort zone and take part in as many adventures as possible.
Charlie

Teaching English In Peru

I spent 3 weeks in Cusco, on the 'Teaching English in a Rural Province' project.
I would meet the other school teachers in central Cusco in the early morning, to be driven half an hour to the school is a smaller district. The facilities were limited there, with most classrooms only having a light as the electricity in the room. I would teach English to a class of 21 9-12 year olds for around an hour, though this varied depending on the day. To do this, I was expected to develop my own teaching syllabus and all my own materials - which was a struggle as I hadn't been told this prior to my arrival and did not have access to a computer. Still, the lessons went well and the kids were all very enthusiastic to learn. Another thing to note, was that I had been told only a basic level of Spanish was needed, which didn't turn out to be the case - future volunteers on this programme should be proficient, as no other staff members at the school speak English.

My homestay family were lovely and very welcoming, and luckily another volunteer with a different project lived very close to me, so we did lots of after work things together. Had there not been another volunteer it may have lonely though.
Over all, I enjoyed the project, but hope some minor changes have been made to make it easier for future volunteers.

I would change the level of Spanish required from a volunteer to be accepted as part of the project, as it would make it easier for everyone involved.
Response from Kaya Responsible Travel

You will be happy to hear that we have reviewed the Spanish level requirement for schools teaching and have already put in place a short language test that helps us evaluate better the levels of Spanish prior to finalising the placement. Our home-stay families, as you experienced, are friendly and helpful and get consistently great feedback, and they love hosting Kaya volunteers. We also have a new coordinator who we welcomed onboard this month who is expanding the reach of our Kaya projects in Peru as it grows in popularity. Thank you again for sharing your experiences and inspiring others to join in our great work.

Heilwig Jones - Director, Kaya Responsible Travel.

Vickivirgo

Hospital volunteering in Cuzco

I was placed in a local private hospital for my volunteering project. I felt that this particular hospital was very well run, and operated in a similar fashion to those in England. Though this did mean, that as a third year medical student, I wasn't experiencing anything particularly new. The staff were helpful and allowed me to speak to patients where possible, perform minor examination and attend theater. I would advise learning to speak as much Spanish as possible to really make the most of the experience.

With regards to the social aspect, i felt that this could have been improved. I was told i was the first person to sign up for this particular course and that others would join during my first week. This didn't happen. I found this disappointing. Although i did attend Spanish classes in the evening where there were more people of my own age which was nice.