Kaya Volunteer Programs in Peru

Group picture with locals in Peru
Group picture with locals in Peru
Volunteers on the job
Volunteers on the job

Volunteering in Peru with Kaya is a special experience. It was home to the ancient Inca Empire, but now life is hard in Cusco, Peru, and with the recent heavy flooding volunteers are needed more than ever. Volunteer on Environmental Conservation in the Peruvian Rainforest, community development projects such as Volunteer Support for Young Mothers and nutrition focused projects like Healthy Kitchens Volunteering, Global Health and Nutrition Volunteering and Agriculture for Improved Nutrition. You can also volunteer on a Microfinance project and help keep the ancient art of Inca jewellery making alive by volunteering on our Inca Jewellery Making Cooperative.

We hope you will consider joining one of our volunteer programs in Peru! You won't regret it.

Ben

Peru Speech Therapy Internship

I spent 3 weeks in Cusco, Peru working as an intern at CEBE Don Jose San Martin, a school for kids with communication and intellectual disabilities. I worked in a classroom helping a teacher plan and create activities and lessons for the kids. It was an amazing experience and I am so happy to have done it. The Kaya team was so helpful and supportive throughout my entire experience and made it run very smoothly. The internship is now called a special needs internship probably because the job is more useful for people wanting to work with special needs children. Cusco is a magical city and I definitely wish I could've spent more time there. There's always an exciting tour waiting for you. The food is great, the people are friendly, it's a wonderful time. I strongly recommend it.

Have an open mind, be willing to go out of your comfort zone and take part in as many adventures as possible.
Charlie

Teaching English In Peru

I spent 3 weeks in Cusco, on the 'Teaching English in a Rural Province' project.
I would meet the other school teachers in central Cusco in the early morning, to be driven half an hour to the school is a smaller district. The facilities were limited there, with most classrooms only having a light as the electricity in the room. I would teach English to a class of 21 9-12 year olds for around an hour, though this varied depending on the day. To do this, I was expected to develop my own teaching syllabus and all my own materials - which was a struggle as I hadn't been told this prior to my arrival and did not have access to a computer. Still, the lessons went well and the kids were all very enthusiastic to learn. Another thing to note, was that I had been told only a basic level of Spanish was needed, which didn't turn out to be the case - future volunteers on this programme should be proficient, as no other staff members at the school speak English.

My homestay family were lovely and very welcoming, and luckily another volunteer with a different project lived very close to me, so we did lots of after work things together. Had there not been another volunteer it may have lonely though.
Over all, I enjoyed the project, but hope some minor changes have been made to make it easier for future volunteers.

I would change the level of Spanish required from a volunteer to be accepted as part of the project, as it would make it easier for everyone involved.
Response from Kaya Responsible Travel

You will be happy to hear that we have reviewed the Spanish level requirement for schools teaching and have already put in place a short language test that helps us evaluate better the levels of Spanish prior to finalising the placement. Our home-stay families, as you experienced, are friendly and helpful and get consistently great feedback, and they love hosting Kaya volunteers. We also have a new coordinator who we welcomed onboard this month who is expanding the reach of our Kaya projects in Peru as it grows in popularity. Thank you again for sharing your experiences and inspiring others to join in our great work.

Heilwig Jones - Director, Kaya Responsible Travel.

Vickivirgo

Hospital volunteering in Cuzco

I was placed in a local private hospital for my volunteering project. I felt that this particular hospital was very well run, and operated in a similar fashion to those in England. Though this did mean, that as a third year medical student, I wasn't experiencing anything particularly new. The staff were helpful and allowed me to speak to patients where possible, perform minor examination and attend theater. I would advise learning to speak as much Spanish as possible to really make the most of the experience.

With regards to the social aspect, i felt that this could have been improved. I was told i was the first person to sign up for this particular course and that others would join during my first week. This didn't happen. I found this disappointing. Although i did attend Spanish classes in the evening where there were more people of my own age which was nice.

Location:
Alejandro Velasco Astete International Airport
( CUZ )
Rodríguez Ballón International Airport
( AQP )

Peru is treasured for its gastronomy, Incan history, and stunning Andes mountains. As you travel, you will notice the pride the Peruvians have for their heritage of having been not only the Incan empire but Spain's South American empire. Peru's eco-tourism is growing the quickest of any South American country. If you are looking to tap into a currently less-frequented travel destination, pick Peru.

Staff Interviews

About Kaya Responsible Travel

The idea behind Kaya is to bring together the quality and impact of grass roots projects with the breadth of choice, quality of structure and organization and level of service that enables everyone the opportunity to contribute to positive action and...