View Other Details
Since the debut of our Women's Empowerment Program in 2009, we have believed that the key to empowerment is education. This program focuses on empowering women to start and improve their own businesses, improve self esteem, and gain computer skills. We offer Mujeres Emprendedoras (Women’s Entrepreneurs), a 3 month entrepreneurship program for low-income women who want to start or improve their own small businesses. Women learn how to develop a business plan, how to track their own finances, and how to create an excel document. They can also learn strategies for improving self-confidence, how to develop a captivating business elevator pitch, and the importance of customer service skills.
We are looking for volunteers with advanced Spanish who can commit to 12 weeks teaching self-esteem or financial empowerment courses and assist the program manager. We're a close-knit grassroots non-profit that believes in high impact programs, largely thanks to volunteer support!
- Assist Women's Program Manager with research, evaluation and special projects (advanced Spanish and previous experience preferred!)
- Assist with Program Promotion, Registration, and front desk duties
- During class cycles, we offer financial planning and empowerment workshops on weekend evenings focused on Business and Self-Esteem
- Childcare program for women who need a place to leave children during the program - help always appreciated!
- Organize team building activities such as hiking, museum visits
LLI has participants from every one of Huaycán’s twenty four zonas. In one year, LLI had 58 teens join in 33 Leadership Project meetings that generate service projects such as an animal vaccination, disaster relief and conservation programs all organized by the teens.
LLI provides free after-school classes to any resident between 7 and 17 years to aid their learning, expand their resources, and organize special events. Participants reported they are more excited to read given their access to our library, that they feel more empowered to start local businesses, and that they have a safe, productive, fun & social space to hang out in after school. Our Women’s Empowerment Program held 140 educational workshops for 127 women last year.