Women's Empowerment: Volunteer Internships in Lima, Peru

Age
Min. 18 years
6 travelers saved this program

About This Program

Since our debut of our Women's Empowerment program in 2009, we have believed that they key to empowerment is education.

We work with an average of 80 women per year, offering free educational opportunities in the form of workshops, certificate courses and free resources at our program site. Our workshop opportunities range from yoga to nutrition to finance and everything in between.

We're a close-knit grassroots non-profit that believes in high impact programs, largely thanks to volunteer and internship support!

• Come together on the weekends to enjoy educational workshops
  • Workshops are focused on Art and Expression, Health, and Financial and Career Education
  • Take a day trip to Larco Museum
  • Visit the spectacular fountain at Circuito Magico del Agua

Education is every day empowerment. Our women's program provides free educational workshops and classes throughout the week and works hard to build a community among women in Huaycán.

INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES:

Women's Empowerment Program: Lead coordination and educational content development for workshops, certificate courses and more. Network with local NGOs and professionals to improve program. Must have at least advanced Spanish skills.

Women's Certificate Course or Workshop Lead Instructor: Must have at least advanced Spanish skills and have professional and/or soft skills to offer in a workshop/course (self-esteem, financial education, nutrition, yoga, dance, etc).

Fair Trade Design Internship: Work alongside seven female artisans to design and oversee production of Huaywasi products. Intermediate Spanish required.

Business Development Internship: Work with our Huaywasi Program Director on improving our fair trade brand's marketing strategy, branding aesthetic and more. Basic Spanish strongly preferred.

Women's Empowerment Program Manager - 12 month commitment.

Women's Certificate Course or Workshop Lead Instructor - Minimum 2 weeks - 6 weeks.

Fair Trade Design Internship - Minimum 12 weeks.

Business Development Internship - Minimum 10 weeks.

What's Included

Airfare
Domestic Airfare
Transportation
Travel Insurance
What's Not Included (Extra)

Pre-paid minutes for cell phone (varies with personal use)
Laundry expenses

Secure housing is provided for all volunteers.

Volunteers receive three meals per day in the form of prepared or provided food. We strive to buy from the local markets as much as possible as a means of investing in the economic development of our community.

Hosted by Light and Leadership Initiative

Light and Leadership offers services 2 different communities: women and children. With the kids, we offer before and after school activities for kids before and after school activities. For our women's group, we provide Women's empowerment programs....

LDV

24 Weeks
$2566 USD

Jillian

An Impactful Experience in a Wonderful Community

During my time working for Huaywasi and the Women's Empowerment Program at LLI, I had the opportunity to meet so many inspiring and intelligent women, whether they were international volunteers, local volunteers, program participants, or artisans. This community inspired me to care deeply about the work I was given and go the extra mile even if it was not asked of me. Management in LLI allowed me to lead, grow, and expand on ideas in a way that made me feel like I was bringing true value to the program. I learned so many new skills that I am lucky enough to carry with me throughout my career just through feeling I was in a safe and supported environment to ask questions and to learn. If you would like to feel like your work matters and see real impact working with a small and welcoming community, LLI is the perfect program for you!

I think workload management should be reevaluated at least on a bimonthly basis. During my time here I saw many volunteers who were extremely overworked while others were standing idle because they were not given responsibilities. Obviously, this is more difficult than it sounds because some volunteers stay 6 months and others only stay 6 weeks, but maybe even discussing workload as a group every other week could help others feel comfortable to ask for help or to speak up about not having enough work.
Caroline

Women's Empowerment Program Manager Review

I have worked as the Women's Empowerment Program Manager for the past 10 months in Huaycan, Lima, Peru. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time in this position and in this area. I have learned more than I thought possible about myself, my passions and abilities, my struggles and limitations, as well as Peruvian life, customs, and cultural dynamics. I was so grateful for this opportunity to get to know Huaycan and this country on a more intimate level, and will be forever thankful for LLI. Being a motivated, self-starter with flexibility and a real desire to incite positive change will take you so far in this position!

Naomi

Wonderful experience

I worked for six months as the Women's Program Manager for the Light and Leadership Initiative from January through June of 2014. LLI is an organization where the focus is the work that the volunteers do as opposed to the money they spend to come volunteer. LLI truly relies on the initiative and enthusiasm of volunteers, which makes it a great experience for those who want to learn what it's like to work at a grassroots non-profit.

As the Women's Program Manager, I organized workshops on financial education, nutrition, and artisan skills, given by Peruvian organizations and students, to groups of women in Huaycán. I also managed LLI's artisan program, taught basic computer and literacy classes, and helped with the community gardening project. I loved the women I worked with and left wishing I could have stayed longer.

Huaycán is a developing community, meaning there are some challenges to living there, but LLI does a lot to make volunteers feel safe and is very responsive to volunteer concerns. Living in Huaycán is an important part of the experience, allowing people to be a part of the community they hope to serve. The volunteer coordinator does a great job making sure volunteers feel at home and providing organized opportunities to explore other parts of Lima.

I would highly recommend LLI to anyone who wants to have a real impact, meet amazing, dedicated people, and learn about life in an urban developing community in Peru. I will never forget my time there!

As a young grassroots organization, LLI often lacks the resources that larger organizations have at their disposal, which can be frustrating. This means, however, that volunteers have the opportunity to have a greater individual impact on LLI programs.