We are looking for enthusiastic people with a passion for education to work at our school project in a rural region in the Andes in southern Peru, about 10 hours by bus from the city of Arequipa.
As a support teacher you will work alongside a local teacher at our partner school, Colegio Honofre Benavides in the town of Tomepampa, Cotahuasi Canyon.
Please note this project is open April - December.
- Gain valuable teaching experience
- Unplug and rediscover a slower paced life
- Teach children while also learning from them
- Spend a day off visiting the beautiful Monasterio de Santa Catalina
- Take a day trip to Colca Canyon
What to Expect
Colegio Honofre Benavides is a public primary and secondary school, located in Tomepampa, a rural village in the Cotahuasi Canyon region of Southern Peru. Volunteers support education through teaching and assisting with English classes and other subjects depending on skills and school needs for 30-40 hours per week from 8:30 am - 4:30 pm.
Volunteer responsibilities include:
- Classroom support
- Teaching English
- Assisting with lesson planning
- Running after school workshops (homework help, English practice, etc.)
- Supporting individual students
- Chores inside the school to improve infrastructure
- Assisting in subjects other than English, depending on level of Spanish and needs of the school
- Volunteers may also develop other projects, according to the needs of the school and community.
While we welcome all applications, please consider the following:
- Intermediate Spanish or better is required for this project. Preference will be given to those with a higher level of Spanish fluency.
- This project runs from March-December, due to school holidays
- We ask that those applying for this opportunity dedicate a minimum of 1 month.
- 24/7 support and assistance
- Administrative fees
- Volunteers Peru uniform shirt
What's Not Included
- International and domestic flights and transport
- Travel insurance and visa fees
Housing & Meals
While accommodation is not included in program costs, volunteers in Tomepampa have the option of staying at Casa Primavera, a hostel near the school with a beautiful view of the canyon. Accommodation includes private rooms and bathrooms, with a shared kitchen. Other accommodation options exist in Tomepampa, and we will work closely with you to arrange a safe and affordable option that meets your needs.
An abundance of locally grown fresh fruits and vegetables are available in Tomepampa at local shops and markets. The town of Cotahuasi is a short 20-minute bus ride away where volunteers can access more modern amenities and a variety of shops and restaurants.
Volunteers Peru is a small NGO based in Arequipa, Peru. We work in collaboration with several projects where volunteers can make a positive contribution to the community by assisting the children at each project to fulfill their personal and educational goals, and by promoting mutual cultural awareness.