Starting from
$230

Volunteer in a Girls Home with Volunteers Peru

• Gain international experience volunteering in a girls' home
  • Volunteer your time and skills to help others, from homework help to playing volleyball
  • Improve your Spanish by working closely with the staff and the girls at Casa Hogar
  • Learn about the Peruvian culture and enjoy their delicious cuisine
  • Explore Peru on the weekends
Arequipa
Peru
2 to 50 weeks
  • Host Family
  • Hostel

We are looking for caring and enthusiastic people with a passion for helping others to support at the Casa Hogar Torre Fuerte girls' home in Arequipa, southern Peru.

The Casa Hogar Torre Fuerte is a Christian home for girls and young women who have been removed from their families due to abandonment or abuse.

For those wishing to improve their language skills during their time with us, we can organize Spanish lessons.

VOLUNTEER WORK: Helping with homework and domestic tasks as necessary, Playing with the girls, Mini-projects ( depending on your skills and interests).

Program Cost - $230

INCLUDED: 24/7 support and assistance, Volunteers Peru uniform shirt, Administrative fees, and Volunteers Peru sustainability.

NOT INCLUDED: Travel, Meals, Accommodation (discounted Hostel price for volunteers).

Anna Magdalena

I wish I stayed longer !!

I really enjoyed the friendly and women only atmosphere of Volunteers Peru. I really appreciate how every volunteer can be himself, is accepted just the way they are ; nobody is pushed to do something they don't feel like doing. It's also a great opportunity to learn and practice Spanish in an easy going way with kids ;)
And of course I loved the girls at Casa Hogar, they are so giving and rewarding, it is a true exchange. Yes you give your time but you receive so much in return ! So if you're hesitating, don't, go for it, you won't regret !!

Karlee

What a Wonderful Experience

If you are trying to decide whether or not to do this program, I have two words of encouragement, DO IT!

The opportunity to practice Spanish, experience different cultures, and become a better global community member are just several of the opportunities you are exposed to when you volunteer with Volunteers Peru at Casa Hogar Torre Fuerte.

I volunteered with this group for two weeks in September 2017. The entire staff is incredibly supportive and caring. Arequipa is a beautiful city. The girls you get to work with are kind and loving. I connected with and made new friendships with people from all around the globe. I couldn't imagine a better volunteer experience.

Thanks Volunteers Peru!

Katie

Everything I wanted it to be

I stayed in Arequipa and worked with Volunteers Peru for two months in June and July 2017.
I had a fantastic experience in the girls home where I felt welcome from the first minute due to the enthusiasm and kindness of the girls.
When I started looking for programmes to go abroad with I was worried about finding the right organisation to go with, that would make me feel safe and I wanted a small organisation so that I wouldn't get lost in masses of volunteers.
Volunteers Peru was in that sense the perfect organisation for me. At most we were 7 or 8 volunteers and the whole organisation felt like a family environment. Marita and Megan, who work in the office, were always available for us to contact and we had a really close and good relationship with them which made it easy to settle in and feel comfortable throughout my stay.
When I went to Peru I spoke very little Spanish, which in itself wasn't the biggest problem as I was eager to learn more, but I think it is a lot easier if you go and speak a decent amount of Spanish as it makes it easier for you to communicate with people.
I have now been back home for a couple of weeks and I miss Arequipa and the project as well as the people I met durning my stay. It has been a fantastic experience and I would definitely recommend it to anyone.

Pilar

Volunteers Peru en el hogar torre fuerte

Translated from Spanish:
My experience with working with the organization was beautiful.
At all times I felt accompanied and supported by the project workers. I felt very well.
My work or activities with the girls were beautiful. I felt very good developing with them.
My reflection throughout the entire process was "it is more what we receive than what we give" I felt very at ease. This experience is totally recommended. Would do it again if I could.
Girls have a beautiful energy despite their reality and give a lot of love

Original Review:
Mi experiencia con el trabajo con la organización fue hermosa.
En todo momento me sentí acompañada y apoyada por las trabajadoras del proyecto. Me sentí muy bien.
Mi trabajo o actividades con las niñas fueron hermosas. Me sentí muy bien desenvolviéndome con ellas.
Mi reflexión durante todo el proceso fue "es más lo que recibimos que lo que damos" me sentí muy a gusto. Es totalmente recomendable esta experiencia. Lo volvería a hacer si pudiera.
Las niñas tienen una hermosa energía a pesar de su realidad y dan muchísimo amor

No noté ninguna falta en el programa.

Melanie
USA
University of Massachusetts- Amherst

Fun experience!

I had a great time as part of Volunteers Peru! With a helpful staff, lovely girls and flexibility within the home, I was able to mold this experience to what I wanted to do (i.e. Tutoring, playing in the yard, etc.). It was nice to find that the girls are being treating very well at the home and are provided such a nice atmosphere. In addition, Arequipa is a beautiful city to spend your free time with the other volunteers and friends you meet along the way! Overall an awesome time spent!

I think having more time at the home would be better for the volunteers although it's difficult to find the time since they are at school. I think more organized activities with the girls should be taken on and encouraged as well!

my last day
Miryam
Louisville, KY
Rutgers University

Amazing experience!

I have no words to convey what an amazing experience I had with Volunteers Peru in Arequipa!
Since the very first day I arrived at the Volunteers Peru's office I felt at home. My first weekend in Arequipa, Marita (the founder) invited me and the other volunteers to her home to meet her family and to teach us how to prepare a delicious Peruvian dish. We had so much fun! We not only learned how to cook "Rocoto Relleno" but she also taught us how to dance with traditional Andean music.
It was really convenient to stay at the Honey House Hostel because the office is right there and I knew I could count on Marita's and Megan's (director) help and advice at any time. This hostel is located downtown, just three blocks from the main plaza. You can walk everywhere(shops, restaurants, tourist sites, etc.) because you live right in the middle of everything, which makes you feel part of the life of Arequipa, not like a tourist.
I did not know what to expect from the girls at Casa Hogar Torre Fuerte. I only knew that they came from abusive situations and extreme poverty. I prepared myself for the possibility of meeting children with issues of anger, distrust, etc. I could not have been more mistaken! The very first moment I arrived at Torre Fuerte I was surrounded with smiling girls hugging me, holding my hand, asking me to play with them, to help them with their homework, with so much love to give and so much joy to share! It was amazing. It brings tears to my eyes even now to remember how much more I received from them than I was able to give.
Every single volunteer that I met at Volunteers Peru had a life changing experience, me included. I recommend this organization with no reservations and convinced that if you decide to go, this experience will surpass whatever you are hoping for.
I am coming back next year, hope to meet you there! :-)

Line
Arequipa, Peru

“Work for a cause, not for applause. Live life to express, not to impress”.

I spent two unforgettable months volunteering at the Casa Hogar Torre Fuerte girls’ home in the outsides of Arequipa, and as an intern at Volunteers Peru‘s office in Cruz Verde in the center of Arequipa. As an intern, I assisted the manager, Eva Paterson, in various administrative tasks at the office during the morning. These tasks primarily included marketing tasks; promoting and creating better awareness of the organization. In the afternoon I worked as a volunteer at the girls’ home, where I mainly helped out the girls with their domestic tasks and homework . Other tasks included organizing activities and games with the girls and to create a safe and stable environment for the girls at their home.

The Casa Hogar Torre Fuerte is a loving place, where the girls’ are treated well and feel safe. As a volunteer you feel like being part of the small family.

Not every day is alike and not all days are easy at the girls´ home. The girls come from a very different environment and they all carry heavy experiences with them. In other words, there are ups and downs. It is not easy not to get attached to the girls and get a special bond with them, but it is very important to try to keep it professional and take good care of your own feelings while volunteering. If not, it can be quite heavy emotionally. Moreover it is important that you are able to take initiative on your own, since no one is really “guiding” you at the girls’ home. You go on your own and take action on your own. Show initiative and motivation – and the girls will follow.

Volunteers Peru is a small NGO and you therefore become close with everyone involved rather fast. During my first weeks, we were only two volunteers at the project, but during my last weeks we were four volunteers. You easily get new friendships with the other volunteers with whom you can hang out with during your free time.
Moreover, I really enjoyed living in the beautiful city of Arequipa and in general I felt safe in the city. Just take precautions, take care of yourself and use common sense.
As a volunteer you have plenty of time to enjoy and discover the city, due to the fact that you only work part time Monday to Friday. I decided to spent my mornings learning Quechua before going to the office in order to get the most out of my stay.

I highly appreciated the preparation material from Volunteers Peru and the good and fast communication with the manager, Eva Paterson. Any volunteer should read the material and if any questions or in doubt, contact Eva, who has years of experience in Peru and is more than happy to help out.

My experience as a volunteer and as an intern at Volunteers Peru made me grow both personally as well as professionally.
“The best way to find your self is to lose yourself in the service of others”.

Mara
Buenos Aires, Argentina

My experience at Casa Hogar

I spend 4 weeks in Arequipa volunteering at Casa Hogar Torre Fuerte with the organization Volunteers Peru. Every day i spent like 5 hours in the house with the girls. Somedays i choose to go in the afternoon with the younger girls (3 -11 years old) where i used to help them with their homework, with the cleaning of the house, and then there was always time for playing! In the morning with the older girls (12-18 years old) i used to help them with their maths and english homework.

Casa Hogar is a really nice place, the girls there are very well treated and as a volunteer you try to help them and give them as much love as possible as it is what they are really missing because of being away from their families.
The girls are very thankful and they give so much love to all the volunteers. As a volunteer you get to know them really well and you create kind of a big sister/brother relationship which is very nice!

About the organization, Volunteers Peru, i can say that it is very well organized and Eva, the project manager, is very nice and looking forward to help you with everything.

During my stay i coincided with other volunteers which was also great as we became very good friends while sharing this incredible experience.

I definitely recommend Volunteers Peru, for anyone looking for a volunteering experience abroad!!!! :)

Emilee
Manheim, Pennsylvania
Millersville University

Casa Hogar Torre Fuerte - Arequipa

Having spent 7 months working for Volunteers Peru with the girls at the Torre Fuerte Home, it seems almost impossible to describe how incredible of an experience this really was for me. There were many days filled with jokes, laughter, piggy-back rides, games in the courtyard, turns on the swings, homework happily completed and chores willingly done. But there were also times of great challenge. And I think that might be the most important thing for any potential volunteer to know - that because these precious little ladies have come from such tumultuous situations in life, there are bound to be moments and even entire days in which they will test the very fiber of your being with their sometimes unpredictable behavior. But the days and the moments in which you can share a laugh, a smile, a victory, big or small, a hug, a high five, a sweet story or even a cuddle will be much more frequent, and will instantly turn your heart to mush. From the moment you walk through the door and they call you hermana to the moment they beg you not to go, and demand to know when you will be back, you will likely find yourself as smitten as I was.
Devote at least 4 weeks, if you can. Give yourself a chance to really get to know these girls and ample opportunity to love on them. It's a decision you will not regret and you may find yourself a bit different of a person when you leave. :)

Britta
Germany

A great volunteering experience!

I spent 4 unforgettable weeks working for Volunteers Peru at the Casa Hogar Torre Fuerte Girls' Home. The Casa Hogar is a great institution giving home to girls aged from 3 to 17. As a volunteer you will mainly work in the afternoons and thus, spend more time with the younger girls as the older ones have classes until the late afternoon or early evening. The girls are welcoming you in a lovely way, taking you by the hand the moment you arrive at the Casa Hogar and asking you to play with them. This gives you an easy start and is a great experience especially if you are planning to only stay for some weeks and not several months. During holidays we played a lot with the girls and often brought some nice games or puzzles from our office. Eva as the current project manager of Volunteers Peru is very helpful and whenever you have a good idea of what could be done with or for the girls she is more than willing to help you with the realization.

I also really enjoyed living in Arequipa and you can use the mornings and weekends to explore the beautiful city or go on trips. Working for Volunteers Peru means to be part of a great team and spending time with other motivated volunteers at the project. I highly appreciated the great preparation I got before I came to Peru by receiving a pre-departure guide and being able to ask Eva as many questions as I had. I can only recommend Volunteers Peru as a great NGO and the Casa Hogar as a valuable project that is more than worth to spend your time with.

Danielle
Kansas City, Missouri
University of Kansas

Good experience if not slightly uncomfortable at times

I worked at Casa Hogar Torre Fuerte for about two weeks; this is a very short time and because the girls are very accustomed to people coming and going, I don't think this was the proper amount of time to fully bond with the girls and feel like I was an integral part of the project. I would suggest participating for at 4+ weeks. The girls have various social, mental and sometimes developmental issues which I don't think I was fully prepared for either. I wouldn't recommend this project to anyone with thin skin or who genuinely isn't interested in helping girls. This project is also run by a very conservative religious organization which might be a problem for those with more secular lifestyles.

Perhaps better preparation and training as to how the girls truly behave and act around the volunteers.

Stephanie
Chicago, IL
Arizona State University

Wonderful Girls Home With KInd and Caring Staff

I volunteered at the Torre Fuerte Girls' Home last year and the experience was wonderful. All the girls were amazing to work with and the staff was very helpful in creating a memorable experience in Arequipa. My last day of the program coincided with one of the girls' birthday parties at the home and I felt completely overwhelmed with joy to be a part of it that day. I would definitely recommend this program and do it again in a heartbeat.

We were there for a week when the school was shut down so it's hard to say because the schedule was very different than it otherwise would have been.

Judith
Antwerp, Belgium

Experience of a lifetime

It was an experience of a lifetime. You get to discover the beautiful Peru and at the same time really feel like you're making a difference for the girls. You're also practicing your Spanish in a fun and useful way. I would seriously recommend this to everyone ! The staff is great, you feel really at home and you get to discover an amazing country and meet amazing people !

Grant
Berkeley, CA

Great, short stay

I stayed at Casa Hogar for a week last year. Because of my short stay, I was limited to doing tasks helping out in the actual home, which was good for both me and the girls that live there. I felt useful and maximized the short amount of time that I could work. I was so happy to help so that the long term program volunteers on their actual goals: providing a better environment for the girls.

I can't say any improvements would help or hurt since I was only there for a short time.

Krystol
Berkeley, California
University of California- Davis

My Volunteer Experience at Torre Fuerte

I stumbled upon Volunteers Peru while I was already in Arequipa; It is such a lovely destination that I was looking for something to do while I stayed a bit longer. I stayed in the Honey House (where most volunteers stay) during my time, which is a quiet hostel in a great location to catch a ride to the girls' home or to explore central Arequipa. Working with the girls was so much fun. We helped with school work, came up with crafts and games to do with them, and we assisted the girls with their assigned chores if needed. As a short term volunteer, I feel lucky to have been part of this growing organization. The project manager continues to send monthly updates on Torre Fuerte as well as their project in Cotahuasi, which just goes to show how much Volunteers Peru cares about their projects and helps form a close-knit community of volunteers and coordinators.

I was a short-term volunteer (2 weeks). I know that long-term volunteers are preferred so that the girls are not seeing as many volunteers just come and go, and I completely agree with this idea. However, I would suggest considering short term volunteers to get involved with helping on home improvements. I was able to do this for one of the weeks I was there. I helped with fixing the swings, decorating the entry way, and fixing the youngest girls' drawers (which they tend to cleverly use as stairs). I think that this is a great solution to have for those passionate about volunteering with Volunteers Peru but only able to stay under a month.

Marisa
Washington, DC

Torre Fuerte Volunteer

I spent time with Casa Hogar Torre Fuerte for two months, and had a generally positive experience. The staff were so helpful and caring and the girls at Torre Fuerte were so sweet and loving and filled with energy. It was an intense and rewarding experience and I think two months was perfect to continue improving my Spanish and to expose myself to international development. Peruvians are some of the warmest people I have ever met. I hope I can come visit this program again in the future!

Adding more concrete roles for volunteers may help keep things running smoothly and more organized.

Sophie
London
Durham University

Volunteering at Torre Fuerte

Volunteering at Casa Hogar Torre Fuerte has been a life changing experience. Initially I found it emotional knowing that each girl had a history of abuse or abandonment and yet they still were so loving and caring towards me; an unknown visitor. However, I quickly realised that the Casa provides a safe, caring and family environment for the girls and that they are in the best possible hands with Pastor Dario and co. I will miss the girls!

Perhaps an induction into the house with background prior to volunteering.

A.
Peru

re. my experience at Casa Hogar

I only spent a week of part time volunteering at Casa Hogar, but I had a very positive experience. I was welcomed warmly by the staff and the other volunteers and I liked the atmosphere and level of caring I witnessed at this facility.

- Start building a resource list of educational and fun games and activities that future volunteers could do with the girls.
- I, as a volunteer donating my time, energy and love toward the girls at Casa Hogar, found it objectionable to be asked to pay 20 Soles a day. Wondering if you could come up with that money in a different way.

The Go Overseas Guarantee

•   Secure payments
  •   Easy, direct messages
  •   Network of travelers
  •   Verified reviews

About the Provider

Volunteers Peru is a small grassroots NGO based in the city of Arequipa in the Andes of southern Peru. We are currently working in partnership with two projects where volunteers can make a positive contribution to the local community. The first is a home for