Volunteer and Stay for Free in Beautiful Hotels

Volunteer and Stay for Free in Beautiful Hotels

Help Europeans improve their English by being a conversation partner and enjoy free stays in beautiful hotels.

Join more than 8000 people from all over the world for an Angloville experience this year!

As an English speaker, you stay in one of our beautiful venues for 1 to 4 weeks and help our students improve their English through a series of conversations and activities.
You are not a formal teacher, you are a partner for conversation while having a multicultural experience.

What you get in return:
• Free accommodation in beautiful venues across Europe
• Full board during your stay
• Free city tours in multiple cities
• An opportunity to connect with people from 20+ countries
• An opportunity to become TEFL-Certified (if attending 3 weeks)

No participation fee.

Further details can be found on our website.

• Free Board and Lodging
Europe » Poland
Project Types
Year Round
Hotel
Free board + lodging in a nice hotel
Free transportation from Warsaw / Wroclaw
No participation fee.

Kinelam

Angloville is a scam! (but not in the steal your money and run sort of way)

If you’re reading this review, then it means you are looking for a fun volunteer opportunity with a language immersion camp. However, you’re curious to know if it is legit or a scam. Well, first, I will start off this review by letting you know there are many BETTER options. You should instead look into Diverbo and Vaughn Town. These programs have been around for a long time and are very good. Angloville is merely a (poor) copy that is only focused on cashing in.

Is it a scam? Yes, in the truest sense of the world, it is. However, it isn’t the sort of scam you’re used to because it won’t swindle you out of your money – at least not as a volunteer (it will scam you out of your TIME!) (read more below). However, the program does swindle the participants out of their money. They charge them an absurd amount of money (from 800€ for Juniors to 1300€ for Adults) for a horrible six days of “language immersion”. This program which operates in Eastern Europe is far more expensive than English camps in England…which is ridiculous.

If you’ve found Angloville, it’s because you’ve heard of it through word-of-mouth or online marketing. This company is very good at utilizing those avenues. It’s how they get their “cash cow” participants and their unsuspecting volunteers. Just because it’s one of the first programs you see organically on a Google search does NOT mean it’s good.

The Work
Angloville promises a free, fun and relaxed holiday experience for a week. However, this is so far from reality. For the six days at the camp, you will be working all day from 9 am to 9 pm (12 hours!) - absolute slave labor. You will never have time or energy to enjoy any of the amenities. The program is very unorganized and relies heavily on the volunteers to figure out how to make it a worthwhile experience for the participants. Even if you were getting paid some sort of stipend (which you’re not), it would not be worth doing; because by the end of the week, you will feel worse than when you first arrived!

I’ve volunteered many times before throughout my life, but have NEVER been treated like a work horse and with so much disregard.

The Venue
ALL of the venues are quite a distance away from the main cities – usually in the middle of nowhere. Some of the programs venues are nicer than others, but none are as nice as they should be for the price that the participants are paying (anywhere from 800€ – 1300€). The staff at these venues are usually very rude, there is never working Wi-Fi since the venues are far from any cell towers, many of the amenities are non-functioning, and very poor options of food.

The company cuts corners with their venues in order to pocket as much as possible. I stayed at a venue which was terrible. However, I was told many nightmare stories from other volunteers about the worse venues that they were placed before.

You are typically put in a small room with two other participants. There’s never much space to really settle in and get comfortable. Also, you are partnered with volunteers who could be much younger or older than yourself and with vastly different personalities. It is not uncommon for fights and uncomfortable situations with roommates to take place.

The Food
The food was absolutely atrocious. We were served the grossest meals such as pasta with yogurt (YES, with YOGURT on top), gross dumplings, and a plethora of other unappetizing and unhealthy options. The volunteers and participants with dietary constraints often had a difficult time getting fed.

Many of the junior participants told me they had much better food at their school cafeteria!

The Staff
I felt terrible for the staff, many of whom seemed completely worn out and void of happiness. I can imagine they are miserable, as it seems the senior management of Angloville doesn’t value anything but their bank accounts. And it’s a real shame because some of the staff are actually good people.

The Volunteers
The volunteers of Angloville all come from different walks of life. Some are old and some are very young. Some are native speakers and some are learned speakers. Some are nice and cool, and others awkward and quiet. There is high school clique-ness that often occurs, which is annoying to be around. There have been many times where there were fights amongst the volunteers. I believe a couple of stressful days stranded far away from the mainland with this abusive program takes its toll on people.

The Participants
The participants are absolutely great. However, I’m certain this isn’t something that is unique to this program. I would imagine all camps throughout the EU have great participants. The people who participate in these programs are children and adults who are truly interested in improving their English and enjoying a week of camp. They are very enthusiastic and you can become very attached to them in such a short time.

I must say that it really hurts me to know they are getting taken advantage of by this scam-like program that is charging them absurd amounts of money and given very little in return.

Better Alternatives
If you really want to volunteer your time and energy for a language immersion camp, then I would highly urge you to do so with one that values your time and offers the best experience. I have heard amazing things about Diverbo and Vaughn Town. Volunteers of theirs say it's the best experience. Great venues, great food, great people, very organized. I’ve never done either of these programs, but I trust my sources. Do some research of your own into these and make the best decision.

Response from Angloville

Dear Kinelam

We are quite confused about your review as you did email us after completing your Angloville experience (3 programmes) stating in your email: “I enjoy working with Angloville and plan to do more programs in the future” (exact quote) while also asking to cover the train ticket for the train you had missed through your own fault. After hearing the coordinator was unable to do so, your attitude towards the organization seems to have drastically changed, which we feel was the motive for this unfavorable review.

We are always open and happy to hear constructive criticism as we would love to make these programmes better for people like yourself, so if you do have some, please do not hesitate to email us at: [email protected], we would love to hear from you!
Anyway, without any prejudice we would like to address the points you raised in your review. The review seems to be, however, full of unconfirmed assumptions – we leave these aside as we do not see the point in discussing things which are not facts.

You describe the experience as a ‘scam’ and ‘slave labour’ yet after completing the first programme, you voluntarily chose to do another week with Angloville and then yet another week (totaling 3), we find this a little confusing… :) .

Work - The days are indeed long, but we never wanted the participants to treat Angloville as ‘work’. We believe this is not the essence of a language & cultural programme. We hope you do not consider talking about your interests with other people as work. We do not ask to teach the language, but to talk about stuff you find fun and play games. It is an intensive experience (and we are very transparent about it on our website: “You must be ready to talk for 12 hours a day”).. However, if this seems like “labour” then with all due respect maybe one chooses to attend Angloville for the wrong reasons (we hope not).

Venues – all participants are free to choose whatever venue they like. Hotels are indeed located in countryside areas and this works great as a setting for an immersion programme . All hotel venues can be found online on websites with independent ratings, such as www.booking.com and www.tripadvisor.com . One can choose the one that meets their expectations.

Participants - You referred to the student experience. We do appreciate that feedback but we prefer to measure the level of student satisfaction via direct contact with the students. The fact is we have over 50% of our students coming back for another programme – this is the most rewarding feedback. We are proud of this number and this is not only thanks to the formula and work the team puts in preparing and running the programmes but also due to the WONDERFUL individuals, the English speakers, coming from all over the world to meet our students. We can’t stress enough how we appreciate their involvement, great energy and enthusiasm!

Also, hundreds of great English-speaking participants each year attend 2 or more programmes, with a large group who have been with us during 10+ programmes in various destinations  We feel privileged to have them on board.

Clearly, we feel you may be recommending other companies (which paradoxically you claim you have never tried yourself) and that’s great. We recommend them too  Anything that serves education and cross-cultural exchange is great! Happy to hear you found a better fit for yourself.

Wish you good luck for any future undertaking!

Hope you have a wonderful day,
The Angloville Team

Gail
England

Lovely experience from the point of view of a volunteer

This was my first Angloville experience, having participated last year for the first time on a similar organisation's project. I was aware of what would be expected of me and the type of week it would be. It excelled my expectations. I stayed in a place called Chojnik, in Southern Poland, a couple of hours from Wroclaw. Everyone who took part was friendly. The leaders Ryan and Mattie were laid back but instilled a discipline in the group because you WANTED to do the best for them. Great enthusiasm from everyone. As with my previous experience, volunteers were from across the pond as well as England, so its great to share travel experiences and tips with them and from them. The Polish participants came from all walks of life so there was never a dull moment as far as topics for conversation went. And of course, as a volunteer, your board and lodging is free. Comfortable room, shared with a very easy to get along with roomie. Ryan checked out our social habits before pairing people up which is useful if you tend to be an early riser and earlyish to bed. The Chojnik venue is totally tranquil, with lovely walks that can be taken in free time. Would definitely recommend Angloville from my experience and look forward to taking part in more, if they will have me, in years to come. Some volunteers use it as a means to travel continually, especially from the USA, and work out a schedule that takes you from venue to venue. Cracking idea!

Can see nothing needed from my recent experience.

Krzysztof
Wrocław, Poland
University at Buffalo- SUNY

Awesome Experience

Angloville is a great way to travel. You don't have to pay for anything to volunteer: you just need to get there. Once, you are there, Angloville takes care of your accomodation and food. All you need to do is be ready to talk a lot to people to help them improve their English. I had so many great conversations with people and learned so much from them. I really had such a great experience that I'll never forget. I am considering going back for another week this winter in another location.

Maybe one thing that could be changed is the way we come up with conversations with the students. Such as a board-game one-on-one that requires a lot of speaking about a bunch of different topics.

Conrad
Warsaw Poland

My Wonderful time at Angloville

Angloville saved me from a strange situation.

I had moved my whole life to Poland in June of 2015. But when I arrived, but job and living situation turned out to be very different from what I had envisioned. Things change and people do as well, So its ok.

But I needed to find a new home and I needed time to do so. I was going to need at least a week to reset and figure out my plan. But I didn't know many people in the new country I now called home.

In comes Angloville to save my day. I received a message on CouchSurfing (which Ive been told is rare so dont expect it) asking if I would like to stay in a hotel with 3 meals a day for 1 week free. If ever I've had a Godsend, it was this.
Little did I know that I was in for one of the great experiences in my young life! I made some wonderful friends with both the Native Speakers, Polish Participants and the wonderful Coordinators, many of whom I still keep in touch with!

For anyone traveling Europe this is a must! Not just for a budget traveler but for everyone!

You also get the chance to meet and mentor the up and coming thinkers, musicians, future doctors, lawyers and politicians of the new Poland. These kids are amazing and very smart!

I also had the chance to do Yoga daily each morning with a small group which got me back into daily yoga.

And for anyone who may lament at the thought of being alcohol free (the Junior program is dry, the adult one is not) It was a great chance to detox and take a break from the usual nonstop action in Europe.

If you are on the fence about this. Stop pondering and sign up! Its more than worth your time. It is also a chance to meet the entire English speaking world in one place. Dont miss this!!

No more vocabulary sessions, the kids wanted more speaking sessions, the natives wanted just a little more freetime.
Also having cooking classes, music lessons etc in English would be a great way for the kids to use their language skills in a practical way. I understand that there will not always be qualified Native Speakers, but when the opportunity arises, I think it should be taken advantage of.

Sanda
New York

Fantastic opportunity to experience the country and its people

Angloville is an amazing opportunity for native speakers and English Teachers to experience the country, its people and make lifelong friendships.
A day before the program Angloville offers an amazing tour of Warsaw, not mandatory but definitely recommendable as you will get a chance to meet everyone and learn more about this great city.

You'll spend six days at a secluded, picturesque venue in Poland, dining and socialising with everyone, creating an idea of what it's like to live in an English speaking country for Polish participants and yes, they will love it as much you will love the process of giving them this unique opportunity.
Days start with breakfasts where you will be asked to make sure the number of native speakers and Polish participants at the table is about the same. This applies for lunch and dinner as well. At first, before you get to know everyone, this might be a bit out of your comfort zone but trust me, as days go by and you establish bonds with everyone around you, this will come with ease.
Each day you will have both one-on-one sessions with different people and one hour with your mentee where you help them prepare a short presentation of their choice. This can be anything from their life, work or hobbies, the most important thing is that the subject is something they feel comfortable talking about.
Be ready for fun activities like volleyball, paddle boating and cycling in your free time or during lunch breaks or, if you wish, during one-on-one sessions as well. I had the most amazing time walking around the lake and exploring the venue with my mentee during our sessions.

Scavenger hunts, charades, group activities, barbecues, even horseback riding are just some of the many things waiting for you at the venue. I can not imagine a better holiday and a more relaxing way to teach English.
Come armed with positive energy, great attitude and an open mind to experience everything this program has to offer and I guarantee this will turn out to be one of the best things you've ever done.
Don't be surprised by a few friendly pranks from your fellow participants as you will completely submerge into the summer camp experience, it's all in good fun!
I guarantee great food, fantastic energy and probably a group of the most amazing people you will ever meet.

Enjoy Angloville

I would include even more group activities as participants really seemed to enjoy it.

Kelly
UK
Nottingham Trent University

Probably the best thing I've ever done

You take a bus to the hotel and then meet the Polish participants. It was awkward for about 5 minutes before you get to know them. It's a week of talking, laughing and making friends. You have breakfast at 9am and social time finishes at 8.30pm. It's all day but you can go for walks, hikes etc in the 1:1 which you have. You change participants every hour. You share a room with another native English and it's an amazing way to make friends. Our group was very social and we stayed up late nearly every evening. The participants are intelligent, funny and great to be around. I wouldn't recommend for unsociable people, you need to have a personality and things to talk about. There's no written or actual work, there are even lists of things to talk about if you can't think of anything to say. It's a very full on week and if you're interested in learning about Poland, you'll be blown away!! For me it was the best week of my life, I had never volunteered before like this and I will be doing it again next year.

More hands on activities in the local area perhaps to use language more functionally- but in the winter you can ski on the hotel grounds so maybe it depends when you go!

Chris
Based in Berlin
Loyola University Chicago

My Angloville experience

Overall a great programme, a lot of conversations, great people from all over the country, many stories, many great moments shared. Would definitely do it again!
Each day we had a chance to participate in a number of activities. I have learnt so much about Poland. The people here made it so special, I am definitely going to stay in touch with many of them.
The venue was really nice. Very charming location in the mountains. The standard of the hotel was very good.

Angloville is one of the biggest providers of free educational volunteering / cultural exchanges in Europe (www.angloville.com/home). We offer ESL-related volunteering experience during which students can discover 7 European countries for free, having their board and lodging in beautiful countryside hotels covered, while helping young