Volunteer in Europe: Become a Language Mentor and Discover Europe for Free

Angloville
Angloville
Angloville Hotels
Angloville Hotels

Help Europeans improve their English by being a conversation partner and enjoy free stays in beautiful hotels.

Join more than 8000 people from all over the world for an Angloville experience this year!

As an English speaker, you stay in one of our beautiful venues for 1 to 4 weeks and help our students improve their English through a series of conversations and activities. You are not a formal teacher: you are a partner for conversation while having a multicultural experience.

What you get in return:
• Free accommodation in beautiful venues across Europe
• Full board during your stay
• Free city tours in multiple cities
• An opportunity to connect with people from 20+ countries
• An opportunity to become TEFL-Certified (if attending 3 weeks)

No participation fee.

Further details can be found on our website.

• Free Board and Lodging.
  • Free City Tours of Warsaw, Krakow, Poznan, Wroclaw and more.
  • A chance to obtain a TEFL Scholarship.

The two companies I have used for this so far are Angloville and VaughanTown. The enquirer needs to visit their websites and discover what the conditions are. There is availability throughout the year and quite often spaces available on trips at short notice that may not yet have been filled. Angloville has a Facebook page also. volunteers.grupovaughan.com/what-we-do/vaughan-town angloville.com

Mary

Experience for the life time

I was nervous and unsure at first, as the program are well organised that help me a lot gained more confidence thought the program. Excellent location in Slovakia 🇸🇰. There is 15 native speakers paired with 14 participants, because 5 native do not show up, if not there will be more breaks for us. I spent most of my morning relaxing, enjoy my breakfast and hiking around near by area. I Brought so much foods and drinks with me, but I was fed well, so ended up kept eating my snacks on my ways back to my next destination. The best meal of the day is breakfast and is all our favourite and the view of the location. I loved the coffee, tea served though out the day and cake in the afternoon. I can see the coordinates tried they best look after everyone and ensure the right meal have be delivered to the right person.

Except the chef in the hotel cooked the foods with too much 🧂 salt, if not everything is prefect.
Sue

Prague July 2019 Adult programme

This was my 2nd Angloville experience and a great improvement on the 1st one. The programme was very well organised beginning with the tour round wonderful Prague to the train and coach journey to our spa hotel in Velke Karlovice not far from Ostrava. The coordinators were extremely efficient and professional providing both volunteers and participants with a variety of fun activities, all the time encouraging great interaction between native and non-native speakers. The mentor system was so humbling and rewarding and I was fortunate to see at close quarters the improvement in my very brave mentee (a novice English speaker of 5 months only). Thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience and the wonderful people I met and can't wait for my next adventure.

Diana

Good Conversation

This programme included a lot of talking with native English speakers. The Hungarian participants' English improved noticeably over the 5 days together. The Sarlospuszta hotel was a pleasant setting for it all, and generally it was quite well managed. Both the Hungarians and the English speakers learned a lot about the culture of the other group.
The course was run by Angloville, who could be encouraged to use Managers with more experience in dealing with people and running the programme. The most successful part was each participant giving a Presentation, which produced a varied and engaging sequence of ideas. There was a pairing up of teachers and participants in a Mentor programme, which worked well; the Presentations covered a wide variety of topics and brought the participants to life, from their enthusiasms.

The organisation was not completely professional, and the 'teachers' (volunteers) were not experienced. If the course could attract more professional teachers and more mature colunteers, that would be valuable. The programme could have more varied group activities for wider learning.
Response from Angloville

Hello Diana, We are glad you liked mentoring our Hungarian participants during your stay with Angloville. We don’t require any teaching experience because our students don’t like traditional and academic teaching. So our mentors don’t each English in a classroom and they don’t use grammar books. Angloville is all about meeting local students and having casual conversations and fun activities with them. Thanks for your feedbacks!

Anna

First (but not last) time with Angloville

Angloville was a very enjoyable programme. My first time working with them was as a Native English speaker at an adult weekend programme near Warsaw, Poland. It was well organized and I did not feel nervous at any point. The coordinator had a complete schedule for the weekend and made everyone feel comfortable. The location allowed for easy socializing between the mentors and the participants. I enjoyed the games and group activities. It was very rewarding to help participants who were eager to speak English and learn as much as they could. The program helped boost my confidence as a native English speaking teacher. Not only did the participants learn, but also, I learned so much from fellow mentors. I would definitely consider joining ther programme again when my schedule will allow for it.

What was your funniest moment?
I found the group activities and games to be the most enjoyable.
Lerato

Volunteering in Poland

My experience with Angloville has been amazing, the participants were very cooperative and the programs were well organized. Seeing how this program impacted the participants was the greatest thing to witness.

Nicholas

Was a lot of fun

The time spent here was amazing! Everyone was so friendly and so many funny stories and new friends made. I have recommeneded it to a lot of people already. I left with so much respect for the 3 countries I did it in: Poland, Hungary and Romania. The other teachers were friendly and adventurous and were keen to hang out afterwards. For people travelling by themselves it would make for a nice change of pace. The workload actually isn’t that bad if you are helping kids you find really friendly and fun and the days go past so quickly. You will be wishing for more days by the end of it. After just a week, people were crying by the end and the letters written were very touching. So many great memories made! The venues I stayed at were definitely much better than any hostel too!

Maybe the communication before program, it didn’t seem very professional.
mc

English Teacher Speaking English

Last Spring with my retirement looming I decided that maybe what I needed was a retirement adventure. After all, every year for the last 52 (one way or another), when Fall came around I was starting school. And in the coming year, the fall of 2019, I would be starting... nothing. So I did a little research and came up with the perfect solo adventure.

I had heard of a program called Angloville, where native English speakers traveled to other countries to work with adults who wanted to improve their conversational English. Angloville has programs in several European countries but the country that captured my imagination was Hungary. Shortly before WWII my fathers family immigrated to the United States from Hungary; I had always wanted to see "The Old Country" so working with Angloville seemed like a great fit.

My trip to Hungary coincided with the first week of the new school year. I was too excited about my upcoming adventure to miss any of my old routines. I planned to fly to Budapest where I would spend a few days on my own and then meet up with the Angloville group and travel to the Varga Tanya Hotel in the heart of Hungary, near the Kiskunság National Park..

After a few days on my own I joined up with the Angloville volunteers and our fearless leaders Astrid and Kornél . The other volunteer English speakers were from Northern Ireland, Scotland, The US and South Africa. Early on in this adventure I knew I had found my people, funny, talented, kind, open hearted and irreverent, because of course, I am funny, talented, kind, open hearted and irreverent. The Hungarians were a bit more nervous at first, but soon they were open to the experience of living outside of their comfort zone.

During the week each native speaker was assigned one Hungarian to mentor. The mentoring would culminate with a 5 minute presentation, in English. Additionally the native speakers met with other Hungarians in a variety of sessions including one on one discussions and group activities. Each night ended with a good glass of wine and folks just sitting around chatting about life. Language camp, with wine, for adults, how could life get any better!

I was seeking an adventure to begin my retirement and that is just what I got. The Angloville program helped me kick-off this new phase of my life and blessed me with a host of new friends. I'm ready to go boldly into retirement and live my dreams. :)

Edwin

Great time

I did 3 programmes and they were awesome! To Help others is incredibly rewarding, these kids are eager to learn and it is a great opportunity to participate in their learning experience and impact their lives just by having conversations with them.
Thank you Angloville and Poland! I will see you next time.

A day off in the middle of the program would be amazing!
Rosetta

Connecting with Other Cultures

It was so amazing to connect with people from other cultures, to see the world from their point of view. Instead of just reading about world events I got to experience them up close and personal. Being a foodie I loved experiencing the centuries of food traditions from the making of cheese from goat and sheep milk to the timeless pierogie. My biggest aha moment came when I saw that the people in all these cultures loved, laughed, took care of their children, fell in love, and celebrated life like every one else on the planet, it became so clear that we are all one. No matter who you are, what you think, what color your skin is, what food you eat, or where you sleep we are all one. It was wonderful meeting people with whom I will be friends for rhe rest of my life.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
The little sculptures in Hungary were a surprise. They are placed around the city in arbitrary locations and all of a sudden you'll be looking at a view and notice a cute little sculpture.
Sylvia

Warsaw Ossolińskich ADULT. 25-31 August 2019

This was my first experience with Angloville, and I enjoyed it very much.
The programme was well organised and participants and volunteers were enthusiatic and motivated. The atmosphere was very friendly and welcoming. I thoroughly enjoyed it and hope to participate again next year. The volunteers were of different ages (from their 20s to their 70s) and the participants had different levels of English (from basic to excellent knowledge); some were participating for the 3rd or 4th time, so they must get something out of it. The coordinators were also very friendly and they ensured smooth running of the programme. We were very lucky with the weather too. What else can I say - I think this all covers it, no? Besides, I think it's the quality and not the quantity of words that describe the experience.

Jo

Memorable experience

Angloville was a unique experience and lots of fun. The location of the hotel was beautiful and very peaceful. It was a 2 hour drive out from the city of Brno into the hills near the Slovakian border.
The highlight has to be making friends with the local Czech people who were delightful and so eager to learn it made the conversation classes a pleasure. Angloville provided excellent course materials and all the arrangements ran smoothly. The facilities in the hotel were satisfactory, though the menu was rather repetitive. Evenings were spent socialising together which included games, a campfire and live music.
The city of Brno was a real treat to explore and an opportunity to learn some of the local history and culture. I would definitely book another course next year.

Unfortunately the food at the hotel we stayed was very average, though typical of the region we were staying in.
Jack

An opportunity to meet other Native Speakers and learn about new countries.

Its important to remember that you are bringing the English language to them in context which includes your native culture, idioms, special usage of words from your country. It was a unique experience and really enjoyable to work with folks from another culture. I enjoyed every minute of it but it was not always easy work. You are, after all, in a teaching mode for many hours per day. We enjoyed one of the exquisite venues chosen by Angloville. This was a pre-WW1 Palace in the Country. Classes were held in the large rooms within the Palace. The food was plentiful and delicious and organized efficiently. Interaction with the mentorees was valuable and an opportunity to make life-long friends. I was very happy to have completed my first Angloville experience and hope to participate in a future group.

The social activities were spotty and not really a valuable interaction. These were not set up very well at our venue. I understand that this depends a lot on the individual coordinators.
India

Angloville, Junior Family Programme

Angloville was a truly awesome experience with loads of great people - participants, fellow volunteers and staff were all enthusiastic, excited to be there and super interesting people. The accommodation was nice enough, with comfy beds and plenty of food, and the countryside location was stunning. It helped that during the week I spent there, we were I credibly lucky with the weather! The programme as a whole was incredibly immersive and such a great way to get to learn more about Poland and Polish culture while working hard to give something back! I was lucky enough to have some amazing conversations with the Junior participants, and genuinely looked forward to speaking to them each day. Will definitely be coming back, for much longer next time!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would sign up for more programmes - one week is not enough!
Jaycee

Enjoyable & rewarding experience

I loved being able to help the participants & found it very rewarding. I could tell they were really determined to improve their English. The accommodation in Hungary was great, the food was delicious & apparently quite traditional which I liked. I definitely recommend the experience for anyone wanting to help others and explore another countries culture. They provide a free city tour at the beginning of the trip, overall I absolutely loved Budapest and again found the program rewarding to be able to help others and meets some amazing people along the way. We all had lots of opportunity to be social and enjoy ourselves whilst putting work in during the days.
I would love to do another program in one of the other countries they have on offer

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would have stayed a couple of days before and after to see more of Budapest’s city
deborah

the best part of my gap year

At first I was hesitant, but getting to Slovakia I met the most amazing mentors and most importantly the most amazing young kids. Without realising, i started to develop bonds with each if the kids through asking them questions and soon we would always end up in full blown conversions about common interests. Not only do they practice their conversational English but you make friends with people you never though you'd encounter. Late evening get together and games that weren't even planned gave us the chance to get to know the kids and the mentors really well. there were tears shed on the last day as I believe the effects of the programme had really impacted not only the kids but all of us native speakers as well. I would definitely do this again

What was your funniest moment?
the fashion show they did. Making clothes out of toilet paper and having the mos extravagant group fashion shows (including a wedding) was unforgettable.

Alumni Interviews

Staff Interviews

About Angloville

Angloville is one of the biggest providers of free educational volunteering / cultural exchanges in Europe. We offer ESL-related volunteering experience during which students can discover 7 European countries for free, having their board and lodging...