Volunteer in Portugal. Incredible Opportunity to Teach English!

Discover the Top Five Boomer Volunteer Vacations Worldwide.

Request a boomer volunteering brochure.

Join Global Volunteers as a volunteer English teacher in Portugal - for one to two weeks! We are looking for volunteers in the Beja area of Portugal to teach dynamic and exciting groups of youth and adults. Portuguese people, especially in rural areas, have limited resources for learning English even though it’s an increasingly important skill. Volunteers assist in public elementary and secondary schools and technical and trade schools.

The need for volunteers grows each year and no professional teaching background is necessary. Existing lesson plans and curriculum are available for all volunteer teachers. Informal types of lessons, especially focused on Western culture, are encouraged. Help Global Volunteers inspire young English-learners!

T

Volunteering in Beja, Portugal

Spending two weeks in Beja, Portugal was an opportunity to enjoy the rhythm of this small city in the agricultural region of the Alentejo. This is a journal entry I wrote one day on my trip. I was assigned to teach at an elementary school in the nearby town of Cuba - the true birthplace of Christopher Columbus!

"Another day in beautiful Beja and team 10 will scatter to our varied assignments. Trains, buses, and sturdy feet propel the Global Volunteers on their mission to wage Peace and Social Justice by helping to teach conversational English.

Our school has primary through 9th grade classes and today started with a small group of 3rd grade students who reviewed their counting skills by making a tally of the tables (14) and chairs (27) in the classroom. They then learned to identify the pencil, its home the pencil case, the rubber and the pen. One boy observed that the pencil used to live at the Stationery Store.

The fifth graders have a better understanding but appear a bit shy about speaking. Questions are numerous showing great curiosity if not always in English.

We had another wonderful lunch with the Director and a few of the teachers. This is very convivial time with easy questions from us and them. We’ve been invited on a tour of Cuba Monday afternoon and a meal of wild rabbit at someone’s house. This should be a memorable event that strengthens the friendship growing between us.

The evening started with another Portuguese lesson from Joachim. This was a bit more challenging with some tricky pronunciations! At the end of the time Joachim looked at the coffee table and exclaimed, “What’s this book doing here!?” It was a copy of his collection of short stories based on life in Beja. I wish it were in English so I could read it.

Dinner was a great mix of pizzas and fun conversations. We close another day with a sense of well earned sleepiness and possibly dreams of great adventures to come."

I've been volunteering with Global Volunteers since 1998 and have been on 11 trips. This trip to Portugal was like all my other experiences as far as logistics. The hotel was very comfortable, the food excellent and plentiful, safety is never a concern. Global Volunteers works tirelessly to ensure the volunteers have the best opportunity to participate in the program and make the most of the experience.

The community in Beja was welcoming and gracious.

I've recommended this location to several friends and wouldn't hesitate to suggest this for a first-timer or returning volunteer.

Timothy Cunniff

Ruth

Neat students

This was my 4th G.V. teaching English project. I was assigned to several different teachers, and that was a bit frustrating, as one of the teachers did not have the same classes every day, but went from Adult class to adult class. Those were interesting experiences however, because we were working with low income and vocational drop outs, and were helping them with English to facilitate their working in hospitality. The other class was a lot of fun because I saw the same students several times per week. These were high school age students and were working toward vocations in I.T., travel and hospitality. Teaching them idioms was great fun. Best of all was meeting with a younger teacher to help her with nouances of grammar and idioms.

About Global Volunteers

Global Volunteers, a non-profit organization, has been giving short-term volunteers the chance to provide essential services to local people on service programs since 1984 - and trusted by 34,000+ volunteers. Volunteering for one to three weeks under...