Shadow Doctors 20+ Hours/Week in Portugal

Lisbon, Portugal

Shadowing experiences for adventurous pre-med students. Shadow 60+ hours in Spain, Italy, Greece, and more for 3–6 weeks.

Atlantis has been providing university students in healthcare-related fields with the opportunity to gain clinical experience in hospitals in Europe since 2007. We are committed to the safety of our students, and are constantly working to maximize the educational value of our programs.

• Rotate through different specialties to gain exposure to various medical practices and procedures.
  • Join our programs to make the most of your winter or summer - no need to take time off during your semesters!
  • Immerse yourself in a program abroad to understand healthcare in a global context, and embark on weekly excursions to experience Spanish culture, sights, and food.
  • Join a network of accomplished Atlantis Alumni and doctors from around the world.
  • We also have programs to help students prepare for the MCAT.

DeYante

Atlantis Fellowship in Lisboa, Portugal

I did a 3-week long fellowship in Lisboa, Portugal Summer 2018, and left with an idea of what I finally want to do in medicine. This was a huge leap of faith considering this was my very first time on a plane anywhere, but I wouldn’t change it for the world! On my official first day in the hospital I saw a Tonsillectomy and the insertion of Tympanostomy tubes in the ears of pediatric patients. Over the next few weeks I also saw additional surgical procedures and consultations. I felt I saw more shadowing in Portugal as an undergraduate than in the U.S.
The excursions were amazing, I finally got to explore castles and scenic locations. The castles were beautiful, and the city itself was an architectural marvel. I explored a lot of Portugal alone, and saw some very interesting places. I even became friends with some locals and keep in contact with them today! This trip was a dream come true and educational at the same time. I honestly felt safer walking around in Portugal than back home, and the natives are very nice.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
We frequented a small cafe close to our housing and during my first day there my supervisor suggested I try the “Duck Rice”. I thought of it as the perfect time to see what those cartoons are always talking about with cooking duck. I must say I wasn’t disappointed! Later in the program we went on a group dinner to an outdoorsy African Restaurant and it was my first time trying ”Lamb with Coconut Rice”. The food was again amazing, and I’ve been looking for a restaurant that has both items on the menu since I’ve returned to the United States.
Cody

Amazing program and country

I did a 3 week trip to Coimbra Portugal this past summer, and I can say that it is the most valuable and fun experience I have had. The opportunity to see all types of medicine including surgery was astounding. The country is beautiful and exploring the country was breathtaking. This trip allowed me to gain experience medically and culturally which I do not believe I could of received in the US. I recommend this trip to anyone who has even the slightest interest in medicine. I would go on this trip and The Atlantis program over and over if I was able to.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
The most surprising thing I saw was an open heart surgery. This was amazing to see in person and the whole process was incredible. The most incredible thing I saw in the country was Sintra Portugal. The colorful castles are a must see for any one in Portugal.
McKenna

Atlantis Fellowship in Portugal

I did a month long fellowship in Coimbra, Portugal this summer and walked away with so many positive memories. I had the chance to see open heart surgery, cataract surgery and many other different kinds of surgeries and consultations. I felt that I saw more than I would ever have the chance to see in the United States without being in medical school. I also walked away with a greater appreciation for traveling the world to learn more about other cultures. I would recommend this fellowship to anyone who wants to learn more about the medical world whether or not medical school is a plan in the future. I personally do not want to go to medical school, but am interested in PT or OT. This experience was so helpful for me to see that everyone has a different path and direction towards their end goal.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
The most nerve-racking thing for me was watching surgery for the first time, but toward the end of the fellowship I preferred to watch surgeries. The staff at the hospital made me feel so comfortable and reminded me that everyone feels nervous their first time in that kind of environment.