• Portugal

Guesthouse Hostel
Travel Type
Budget Family Older Travelers Solo Women

Pricing

Fully hosted experience from only $505 for 1 week - this includes accommodation, meals, airport pick-up, orientation and 24/7 in-country support.
What's Included
Accommodation Some Activities Airport Transfers Meals
What's Not Included
Airfare Travel Insurance Visa
Sep 27, 2022
Nov 02, 2022
69 travelers are looking at this program

Trusted by 122,000+ volunteers, IVHQ offers the world's most popular volunteer programs in Portugal and 50+ other destinations around the world.

Based in the coastal city of Lisbon, volunteers can choose from 7 meaningful programs starting at just US$505 for one week. When you're not giving back to the local community, you can immerse yourself in Portuguese culture and join exhilarating tours for periods ranging from 1 to 12 weeks.

Your fully-hosted experience includes airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support. You’ll be accommodated in either a homestay or a volunteer house with other like-minded, impact-focused travelers from around the world.

IVHQ is trusted to support the meaningful adventures of thousands of volunteers, so even before you depart, you’ll receive outstanding service from your IVHQ Program Manager and gain exclusive access to volunteer training and preparation tools.

Consider your impact: Volunteering abroad can be a rewarding experience for both volunteers and local communities, and at Go Overseas, we believe all volunteers should have the resources to make informed decisions about the type of volunteer project they want to partake in. However, despite best intentions, some organizations offering placements in orphanages may unknowingly place children in danger. You can read about the potential dangers of orphanage volunteering here. Learn more about how International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ is promoting ethical volunteering.

Program Highlights

• IVHQ’s Portugal programs are available year-round, starting every Monday
  • Fully-hosted volunteer experience from only $505 for 1 week - IVHQ provides the most affordable and top-rated programs
  • You’ll be joining a global network of 122,000+ volunteers backed by the world’s leading team of volunteer travel experts with an outstanding safety system and track record
  • Support impact-driven volunteer projects run by locals within your host community
  • Flexible booking and free changes so you can register with confidence

Popular Programs

Wolf conservation in Portugal with IVHQ

As a Wolf Conservation Volunteer with IVHQ, you'll assist at centers that house wolves rescued from zoos, illegal trapping or human captivity. In a forested valley in Mafra, wolves live outdoors in large enclosures with the aim of providing them a life as similar as possible to what they would experience in their natural habitat.

divers in wetsuits standing on a dinghy

Reducing marine pollution and conserving marine life is an overlooked issue in Portugal. Volunteers on this project have the opportunity to help with underwater clean-up efforts focused on the protection of the marine ecosystem in Cascais. Tasks include cleaning rubbish on the sea floor, learning more about the marine ecosystem and how to protect it, observing and identifying fish, collecting data on fish numbers and more.

volunteers working in a kitchen

Homeless people in Portugal face inequality and poverty every day. This project aims to reduce these inequalities and support people to a place where they are proud of their situation and their place in society. Volunteers work in a homeless center with people from different backgrounds, though there is a specific focus on those with addictions who don’t have any social or family support.

student and teacher at chalkboard

There are many underfunded organizations within Lisbon that aim to provide youth with a safe place to go after school, where they can come together, interact and take part in various activities. Many of the youth in this project come from underprivileged backgrounds and a key role for volunteers is to simply spend time with them, being a positive role model and having an interest in them and their future as this is something that many of them have never experienced before.

Wildlife Conservation Volunteer Project in Portugal - Miranda do Corvo

Want to help protect a variety of endangered wildlife - from lynx, eagles, wolves, brown bears and other animals? IVHQ’s Wildlife Conservation project is a unique and exciting opportunity for volunteers to directly contribute to wild animal conservation in the countryside of Portugal. You’ll also be supporting a park that has a positive environmental impact and strong social inclusion mission.

• 5 rating 97.62%
  • 4 rating 2.38%
  • 3 rating 0%
  • 2 rating 0%
  • 1 rating 0%
Mila

Awesome Youth Support in Lisbon!

I had a genuinely meaningful, fulfilling, and enjoyable time on my first IVHQ trip. The youth support volunteer trip was based in Lisbon, Portugal, and it was my first time being in the country. What a great way to explore a new place! You connect with both fellow international travellers, but the rich local community, too. Likewise, you have the opportunity to stay in safe, private hostels/rooms, while still being central to the action (i.e. town/city centers, transportation, nature, etc). But perhaps the deepest, most profound educational experience is the hands-on volunteering. What better way to connect to a community than to help their most vulnerable demographics? My particular placement worked with young mothers enrolled in school (14yo-24yo) and their infants in need of day-care (1mo-1yo). The placement was ideal for me, as it allowed me to deploy my love for / experience with young children and enabled me to help the promotion of education for young women from disadvantaged communities. Overall, I developed a deep connection with the country and community, while also diversifying my interactions and experiences with a unique, cosmopolitan group of travellers staying in the hostel.

Pros
  • Makes a meaningful impact
  • Lots of structure / schedule flexibility
  • Great free meals!
Cons
  • An extremely large amount of free time
  • Lots of commuting time
  • Exposure to unsafe areas without warning
Jan

Wolf conservation in Mafra, Portugal

This wolf conservation program was a fantastic experience I would never miss a chance to do again. The accommodation provided was a cosy wooden cabin in the middle of the forest, surrounded by the enclosures of the nine Iberian wolves we were conserving. The staff were incredible, and working with them, and my fellow volunteers was an absolute joy. Meeting amazing people with the same passion for protecting wildlife as I do was such a wonder. Everyone was extremely friendly, and the scenery around us was always breathtaking. We were surrounded by 16 acres of woodland, allowing for lovely hikes in our free time. I feel so lucky to have been able to feed and observe such beautiful creatures and capture such footage in camera traps and on our personal phones. The work experience included a lot of manual labour, such as cutting up the meat for the wolves, clearing up leaves and twigs on the forest floor, removing unwanted weeds, and working with cement to reconstruct the enclosures. It was demanding work, but it was well worth it. The friendships and memories with the wonderful people I met will never leave my side.

Pros
  • Observing the beautiful creatures that are the Iberian wolves
  • Meeting amazing new people
  • Living out in the middle of the wilderness away from the hustle and bustle of the city
Cons
  • Working during the day in the hot sun
  • Asiatic hornets in the area being attracted by the meat for the wolves
Gerda

Youth Support program in Portugal

I had the most amazing experience volunteering in Portugal! At first it was scary because I didn't know what to expect when I arrive in Portugal, but after finishing my program the only regret that I have is staying there for only a week. I made amazing memories that I will cherish for the rest of my life, and new friends from all over the world. The children at my volunteer placement were the nicest kids ever and even though there was a language barrier, they were understanding that I couldn't speak Portuguese and helped me understand them better. I cannot wait to volunteer with IVHQ again!

Pros
  • Make friends from all over the world
  • Explore Lisbon and other places in Portugal
  • Grow as a person
Izzy

like a dream

I volunteered in Lisbon and it was genuinely the best experience of my life (so far). First of all the team was so unbelievably welcoming and kind and helped me whenever I asked. The volunteering itself was such a amazing experience. I worked with the kids and they get you involved from the beginning. I felt so at home by the end of the 6 weeks.
The one and only downside is that I made friends for life that live all over the world that i miss everyday. It was bittersweet saying goodbye but we’re already planning a reunion next year !!

Pros
  • Making amazing friends
  • learning about portuguese culture
  • Doing something new everyday
Cons
  • don’t have any !
  • none
  • nope!
havva

Great program amazing people !

IVHQ was not only affordable but very straightforward with the program and how they do things. I enjoyed my stay in Portugal and working with kids so much planning to do another program with them. 11/10 the best and most affordable international volunteering program. I had chance to work in the youth support program. I helped in a program where the kids from the local school came after school just to do homework, get tutoring, or just hang out with friends until their parents came from work. It was a very rewarding experience. I built many connections and made some great memories.

Mike

Volunteering abroad at 16 years old

My name is Mike O’ Neill from Ireland and I’m 16 years old and in March 2022 I volunteered with IVHQ for 1 week in Lisbon in Portugal doing youth support. I decided to volunteer in Portugal as it is close to home for covid- 19 restrictions.
I went with a friend from school as we both wanted to make a difference in the world while seeing a new place. IVHQ was so helpful with pre departure information and there was someone always willing to answer any questions I had. IVHQ emailed me a 12 step process to help me prepare without forgetting anything. When we arrived in Lisbon we were collected by the organisation and brought to our accommodation. The accommodation was amazing as it was so clean, it had amazing food and everyone there was so friendly. I’ve never met people so kind and willing to help. On the 1st day we met 5 new people from Columbia, USA, England, Germany and Netherlands. We had free time on the 1st day so we all went for a walk and got to know each other. On the 2nd day we had orientation and we got to meet all the staff and all the volunteers. There were 14 nationalities. We got a presentation about the area and our volunteering programmes. We got all the tips when it comes to transport, food and money etc. After our presentation we all got tuk tuk tours around the city. After that we had free time and our friend group went out for Mexican food. At this stage we were all really good friends. The next four days myself and my friend Max we’re volunteering in a centre with underprivileged children teaching them maths, English, geography and history. We also got to do boxing with them in the boxing club. It was one of the most fulfilling times of my life and I felt like I’ve made an impact in their lives. In the evenings of the week about 8 of my friends and I went out for food and clubbing and really bonded. Myself and my friend decided to stay an extra 2 nights. On the weekends we have free time so on Saturday we all went out for breakfast and explored more of the city and went out at night and on Sunday I visited my cousins who live in Lisbon as my uncle is the Irish embassador to Portugal. It was very emotional leaving the following week as we had gotten to know everyone so well. It was the best holiday I’ve ever been on and I’ve made life long friends. In May I’m returning to Lisbon to visit some of the friends. And in July I’m meeting 2 other friends in NYC to catch up.

I can’t describe how amazing this trip was and it was a great cultural experience and personal growth.
I would definitely recommend it to anyone who loves travelling and volunteering no matter your age.

Pros
  • Personal growth
  • Cultural experience
  • New friends
Jean

Making a Difference!

Review of volunteering in Lisbon, Portugal for IVHQ
The volunteer activity I signed up for was called Food Reclamation. As my first time with IVHQ, I decided to volunteer for one week. The volunteer program coordinator picked me up at the airport, spoke English very well, and gave us a good orientation to the hostel, the city, and the volunteer site. I was impressed by the professionalism and helpfulness of the IVHQ staff. They were always ‘cleaning’ the eating environment (dining room) and housing area of the hostel. My program location was staged out of a warehouse. We collected food, repackaged it, and dispersed it to families in need. The work was hard, but I always felt good when I was done each day.
Jean W

If you decide to do this project you get to see first-hand how your hard work benefits others. The IVHQ partners who donate their food get to see different volunteers (you!) every time their donation is picked up (be sure to smile as you work!). They realize that the work you do is very important to those who are less fortunate or need a helping hand. You provide a needed connection to ensure that the recipients will have food.
Eva

Food rescue in Lisbon

Hii! I’m Eva and I’m from Spain. This summer I’ve just volunteered with IVHQ in Lisbon, Portugal, and I loved it, so I just wanted to help you in this journey! I did the food rescue program in the Refood Santa Maria Maior and I liked it so much, you can actually see your impact when you get to give the food to the people who needs it. I stayed at the Impact House, where everyone is so so nice and they will help you in everything. The food was good and healthy, and I loved the pool (and the Fini ice cream!). I was a bit worried at first because of the language and also because I’m 17 and i didn’t know how everything was going to be, but everyone (volunteers, internships, workers...) was very nice. I recommend you to stay more than a week, so that you can really adapt to everything, enjoy and make an impact. Lisbon is so beautiful, I really liked Lxfactory, Cascais, the pasteis de bacalau... It’s so hot in summer, and you also have always to take the green bus card (valid also for the train, subway, trams...). You are going to make a lot of friends here, and go out everyday. I hope this helped you ☺️

I recommend you to stay more than a week! So that you can adapt and then enjoy and have an impact