Most Affordable & Trusted Volunteer Programs in Portugal from $375

Trusted by 90,000+ volunteers, IVHQ offers the most popular volunteer programs in Portugal and 40+ other destinations around the world.

You can choose from 5 volunteer project options in Portugal and give back for periods ranging from 1 week to 12 weeks. Your Program Fee includes airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support. You’ll be accommodated in a hostel, with other like-minded, impact-focused travelers from around the world.

IVHQ is trusted to support the meaningful adventures of thousands of volunteers every year, so before you even depart for Portugal, you’ll receive outstanding personalized service from your expert Volunteer Program Manager and exclusive access to superior pre-departure volunteer training.

With IVHQ, you can expect to establish real connections within the local community while supporting projects that make a genuine difference.

Current IVHQ Volunteer Programs in Portugal:

• Construction and Renovation
  • Environmental Scuba Diving
  • Food Rescue
  • Wolf Conservation
  • Youth Support
  • IVHQ’s Portugal program is available year-round, starting on the first and third Monday of every month
  • Highly affordable program fees starting from $375 - IVHQ provides the most affordable and top-rated programs
  • You’ll be joining between 5 and 20 other IVHQ volunteers who start in Portugal each month
  • You’ll be traveling with IVHQ, the volunteer travel experts, and joining a network of 90,000+ volunteers. Our outstanding safety systems and track record set us apart, we are the world’s safest organization
  • Your efforts will have a positive impact because our programs are community-driven with a focus on supporting long-term local needs

Taya

Portugal volunteering

Volunteering in Portugal was one of the best experiences I have participated in. It is such an amazing way to see a country, make friends and especially make an impact in areas that require the help. Personally i Participated in the construction and renovation program. It was so rewarding going everyday and helping build a house, knowing it was going to be used by someone in need. Seeing the constant development everyday, made me proud of the work me and the team had made. I'd highly recommend this volunteering to anyone who wants to push their comfort zone and also become part of a project that really impacts lives in a positive way. Many thanks to IVHQ.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks so much for your wonderful review, Taya! We're so glad that your time on our program in Portugal enabled you to achieve so much and you found the experience to be rewarding. We hope to see you on another IVHQ program again soon. Meika - IVHQ Program Manager.

Tam
Tam

Food Rescue - Lisbon, Portugal

I arrived in Portugal with my flight delayed 2 hours past my scheduled pick-up. I was worried my pick-up guy abandoned me, but he was still around.
We drove to the location. My initial glimpses of Lisbon were not too pretty: It looked like we were in the middle of nowhere, some back-country land.
It wasn't until we arrived at the hostel that things started to look better. The hostel itself is well-kept and cute. The people there tend to your dietary restriction if any and make you feel at home.
Day 1 was orientation to the hostel and the program--short and simple. Day 2 was the first volunteer day. The R3Food organization we volunteered at had a very well-structured system; we felt kind of obsolete too be quite honest. The cause is a worthy one though.
The shifts we had alternated between morning and night, around 10 AM - 1 PM and 8 PM - 11 PM. It was mostly packaging food, bringing food in, getting food from stores and doing in-person deliveries. The toughest part would be finding matching lids for the tupperware.
This volunteer program gave ample time to explore Lisbon. I got to visit Belém, Cascais, Alfama, Central Lisbon and Sintra. We did a wine tour and relaxed on the beach, did a city tour on a Tuk-Tuk, and went to Cascais''s Lumina Festival. I recommend downloading MAPS.ME (free offline map navigator app) and walking around Lisbon especially in Alfama and the nearby areas.
I will never forget my experiences here, the people I met and Lisbon itself. Thank you IVHQ and ImpactTeam. Well done.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Tam, thanks for your awesome review! It's great to hear you managed to explore so much of Lisbon in your spare time - it really is a beautiful city. I hope you will volunteer with us again in the near future. Meika - IVHQ Program Manager.

James

Fantastic from start to finish

My experience on the Lisbon Youth Support Program was incredible. The placement was enjoyable and impactful. The accommodation was friendly, well run and felt like a home away from home (with excellent food!). The support network from the moment I applied to me sat in my kitchen now has been thorough and melted away any nerves throughout this journey. The people I met were from every corner of the globe and we have already organised to meet once more. In short, I cannot wait to go back!

Nothing springs to mind
Véronique

beautiful Lisbon

I spent 3 weeks in Portugal and it was one of the best experiences in my life. The local team is to lovely and caring. I had the opportunity to meet so many new people from all over the world.
I did the Youth Support programm and had a lot of fun. The team helped us to change the placement as at the first place we barely had any kids. But then I had an amazing time.
And there's so much to do and see in Lisbon. So many beautiful beaches, places and castels. And i even spent one weekend in Porto which was fantastic.
and if you're in Lisbon you have to do a daytrip to Sintra! This place is just like in a fairytale!
So pack your suitcase and go on an adventure! It's totally worth it!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Veronique, thanks for your review! I can definitely tell you had an awesome experience volunteering in Portugal and I hope you volunteer with us again soo. Such wise advice too - "don't hesitate, go on an adventure!" Meika - IVHQ Program Manager.

Michael

Priceless Experience

Meeting people from another country and truly indulging yourself in their culture and way of life is something truly remarkable. I have really grown into a new person from this experience and would recommend anyone to embark on the same one if not another interesting IVHQ program.

I am very lucky to have been put with very friendly people who were supportive all the time.

My favorite part was meeting new people and how they made changed in their lives that reflected their values. Animal cruelty is unfortunately a very real problem in the world and I am currently changing my diet to not have any meat.

There is always room for improvement for everything, nothing is ever perfect. The price could be changed to make it more affordable perhaps, the support could be more informative, and the return to the airport could be included as part of the package.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for your review Michael! I'm so glad you felt support by us here at IVHQ, we do our best to make sure volunteers have the most life-changing experience possible. It's awesome you had a great experience and I hope you volunteer with us again soon. Meika - IVHQ Program Manager.

Samantha

Amazing Volunteer Experience in Lisbon, Portugal

I had a truly amazing experience with IVHQ and I can't wait for the opportunity to volunteer with them again. As part of my gap year I knew I wanted to explore the world while also assisting a community in need. Ultimately, I decided that Lisbon, Portugal was where I wanted to do this. From the moment I arrived, and throughout my five week stay, the IVHQ team in Portugal made me feel right at home. The accommodations and food were beyond my expectations and everyone was very friendly/ helpful. As far as my volunteer placement went, it was a very educational experience. It was fascinating to work amongst people of various backgrounds and cultures, all of whom shared a common goal. At my project, food rescue, I was able to see who I was helping which definitely made my efforts more worthwhile. Additionally, my placement only lasted a few hours each day which allowed all of the volunteers an excellent chance to explore Lisbon and its surrounding cities. This was a great way to bond with them and I will cherish the memories and friendships made throughout my time there. I highly recommend this program to anyone who is considering traveling with IVHQ. Thank you again for an unforgettable trip!

Daniel

Great experience volunteering with IVHQ

I really enjoyed my volunteering experience with IVHQ. I volunteered on the wolf conservation project in Portugal and I loved the experience. IVHQ was very helpful in making me feel prepared for the experience, from an easy to follow list of steps to take when you apply and on-going support when you arrive at your destination, I would recommend IVHQ to all future volunteers. IVHQ also has great partners in the countries you choose to volunteer in that help when you arrive. There partner in Portugal was very helpful and made sure it was easy to get in contact with them if you needed any help or had any questions.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Daniel - I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed your time on the Wolf Conservation project! It's great to hear you found the pre-departure experience easy to follow and that you felt supported while in country. Your contribution was much appreciated! ^Kaila - IVHQ Portugal Program Manager

Caroline

Portugal experience

My time volunteering in Portugal was the most amazing experience. It gave me the comfort and growth to travel and experience new adventures on my own. The staff, locals and coordinators always ensured I was okay and had everything I needed! They were entertaining and spent some time with us on our days off and showed us around or pointed out some hot spots! I would choose this program again in a heartbeat and I would recommend it to anyone and everyone

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Caroline - it's awesome to hear your experience was awesome and that you would visit again in a heartbeat! Your contribution to the program was much appreciated and we hope to see you again in the future! ^Kaila - IVHQ Portugal Program Manager

A

A great and worthwhile project in Portugal

This was my first IVHQ project and I had an incredible time! I went to Portugal to help out with a Youth Support project and I couldn’t have asked for a better experience! I was placed at an after school centre for children of all ages where I would help them with their homework, teach English, play games and help with arts and crafts activities. The IVHQ program manager and the local team were so helpful throughout the process. My fellow volunteers were so nice and now I have friends from all over the world. I hope to go on another IVHQ project soon! My advice for future volunteers is to go into the project open-minded and to remember that your help will be having a positive impact on the local community.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Amy - it's awesome to hear you enjoyed your experience in Portugal, and I'm so glad to hear you were able to make new friends from all over the world. I wish you all the best and hope to have you join IVHQ again soon! ^Kaila - IVHQ Portugal Program Manager

Mackenzie

Food Rescue

I did the Re-Food in Lisbon, the Capitol of Portugal. The city is rich in culture, & ambiance! Lisbon is a gem. The people are kind and the cost is very low compared to the rest of Europe. I will return in the summer months one day. The program itself was awesome and rewarding. Every volunteer was kind and helpful and the food we packed looked and smelled delicious. I think that they eat better then I do at home! Team Impact really does make a positive impact on the community.

There is so much to do that I don’t even feel in my 8 days there That i was able to accomplish everything!

The staff was amazing and helpful, the Mum of th house made the most epic delicious meals and all
The volunteers were kind and fun!

Rodrigo

ENRICHING EXPERIENCE IN A MAGICAL COUNTRY

Olá! Portugal, Portugal, Portugal! No words for this magical country...
One of the most beautiful countries in the world, especially it's vivid capital Lisbon. A small corner full of vibrant colors, energy and life that will make you want to stay there forever! (no joke) My experience with IVHQ was really enriching, not only the place was to dream for, but the people I met every step of the way! From the volunteers to the kids, to the lovely cook (Inés), from every Portuguese making me feel like I was one of them. I believe it has been one of the greatest experiences I have ever been a part of in my life. After traveling to 15 countries, Lisbon was my last destination and definitely my absolute favorite. I felt like at home somehow, from walking down to Praça do Comercio to visiting the mesmerizing roads of Sintra, eating pasteis de nata and speaking the beautiful language. I think I left a part of me there and for sure I will go back to retake that glimpse of fulfillment and happiness that Portugal treasured in my heart. My advice is to do it, don't hesitate or even think about it, IVHQ is a great company that will guide you along the way, introducing you to an experience that might guide your heart and inspire your soul to do more for others out there. Become Portuguese for 2,3,4 weeks, whatever is needed, you will be surprised at who you become once you get back home! I will forever be grateful for my time in Portugal, I have memories of pure pure joy! Quantas saudades de ti Lisboa, muito obrigado!

Maybe the communication between the placements and the team has to be reinforced a bit, besides that everything is great.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Rodrigo - I'm so glad to hear you had an enriching and exciting experience while on the Portugal Program! We loved reading your review and I know it will be helpful for future IVHQ Portugal volunteers as well. We hope to have you visit us again soon!

Paul

Youth support in Portugal - fantastic experience and team

Just returned from the Youth Support Porgramme in Portugal. The whole experience was fantastic. The local team were excellent and really welcoming. The placement was great - the local children being really keen, interesting and engaging. and the other volunteers where great company and sociable.
Its also worth allowing time to explore Lison and Portugal as both are beautiful (and cheap by European standards), and if you are travelling from further afield, the airport is close by and a great lauchpad into other parts of Europe.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Paul, We are so pleased to hear that you had a fantastic experience on the Youth Support project in Portugal. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Margarida

Portuguese experience

My experience in Portugal as a volunteer in the Youth Support program was amazing. Although I applied only for one week, every second of this adventure was beneficial and unforgettable. Since I was the only portuguese volunteer in the program, I had the opportunity to meet volunteers from all over the world, communicating with them in a foreign language, exchange experiences, backgrounds and points of view in many topics, which helped me to have a better vision from the outside world. Regarding the program itself, me alongside the others volunteers, we made a key role in playing with children, teach them a few English words and, most importantly, give our joy and happiness. Finally, I want to thank not only all those volunteers who helped me in this journey, but also the entire team who received us and made everything possible, as well as IVHQ.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Margarida, We are so glad that you had an amazing time on the Portugal program! Being Portuguese, you would have been such an asset and we thank you for seeing the value in providing joy and happiness – we agree that this can be the most important aspect of the project. Thanks for being a great IVHQ volunteer and we would love to welcome you onto another program in the future.
Kaila – IVHQ Portugal Program Manager

Anastasiya

Portugal Is A Hidden Gem

I absolutely loved my time in Portugal with IVHQ! My placement was at the Food Rescue Program in Lisbon where I played a key role in the distribution of food for the less fortunate by packaging the collected meals for individual families. The location of the placement was close to my accommodation and was an easy train ride and walk away. I think the part that touched my heart the most was meeting two young girls who come with their parents to pick up their daily meals. They were so sweet and full of life and even though we couldn't understand each other we formed a bond and would be very happy to see each other when they came. The local team in Portugal were extremely welcoming and helpful every step of the way. Not only did they ensure that I was comfortable in my placement, they went out of their way to organize trips and activities that showcased the local Portuguese culture. In addition, the other volunteers I met on my trip were absolutely wonderful and it added to an incredible experience overall.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Anastasiya, Thanks for your great review! We are stoked to hear that you loved you time in Portugal and experienced meaningful volunteer work with local families, friendly local staff support, and met other wonderful volunteers. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and we would love to have you join us again in the future.
Kaila – IVHQ Portugal Program Manager

Kate

Learning, Caring, and Loving

I came for the wolves conservation program. When I first left home, my family was worried. It was the first time for be to be in Europe, and I am all alone by myself.
I came for an experience. It made me both worried and excited. I worried about not knowing anyone, not be loved, and not doing a great job.
When I first came to Portugal, I was welcomed by the impactrip team. I felt so much safer and better when I saw them in the airport. Next day, they bring us for a tour. Portugal is such a beautiful country, and it is now my second favorite country (my favorite country is my home, China lol). I got to know many people around the world, and that was the best thing about the trip.
For wolves conservation program, we have to go to a different site, with really beautiful and cool wood houses. We have to cook by ourselves. Volunteers from different association lived together. To be honest I was worried, for not getting along with other people.
However, since everyone lived together, we started to talk a lot, about life goals and ourselves. I got to taste so many different kind of home cooked food --- French food, Dutch food, and Spanish food. They became my friends. Since we lack of internet, we got a lot of time to connect with each other.
During the weekend we went to Lisbon and Sintra. That was one of my best memories. We are still friend when the program was done. I went to Spain to find my Spanish friend I got to know from this program, and she and her friend gave me an awesome tour.
I wouldn't gain this friendship without this program,.
One more thing. I never cook at home, but I learned how to cook by this program. I never climb mountain and go hiking, but I became a nature lover because of this program.
For those of you who want to know what we do for this program:
1. We feed wolves twice a week. That was the best, you can see how wolves eat, and they were really cute (like a huge dog)
2. We give them water using pipes. Some of the wolves love water.
3. We have other projects depending on the season. What we did was painting the house (one more skill I gained)
It was really fun! I learned a lot of skills, and I gained friendship.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Kate, Thanks for sharing such a lovely, informative and supportive review of our Wolf Conservation program in Portugal. It is awesome that you made such great friends and learned a variety of new skills while on the program. We are thrilled to hear that Portugal is now your second favorite country! Thanks for being a great volunteer and we would love to have you join us again in the future.

About International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

IVHQ is the world’s most trusted and affordable volunteer abroad organization, offering the largest range of safe and impactful volunteer programs in 40+ destinations around the world.

Over 80,000 travelers have volunteered abroad with IVHQ over the...