Orphanage Volunteer Program in South Africa

Orphanage Volunteer Program in South Africa

This orphanage for 32 children and the special lady lovingly known as Mama Gladys who runs this home needs help from volunteers in multiple ways;
- Educational support and tutoring of individual children
- Household chores assisting the care givers
- Sports and afterschool activities
- Fundraising
- Individual attention to the children

Volunteers are very welcome and will be able to support this home in ways fitting their talents and personal preferences.

Africa » South Africa » Port Elizabeth
Africa » South Africa
1 Year+
EUR
All services are included; accommodation, all meals, transport and designated coordinators looking after your stay!

Bo
Rijswijk, The Netherlands

Door of hope

In August 2015, I went to Port Elizabeth (SA) to volunteer with Khaya Volunteers. Before I went I had spent a lt of time figuring out which organization would be the best for me, and which project I liked the most. Right away I really liked both Khaya and the Door of Hope project. After some more research I decided to go for it. This was probably one of the best decisions of my life! Khaya made sure everything was arranged for me, and living in the house with other volunteers was so much fun! This way you are really able to meet other volunteers and do fun stuff together to explore the country when you are not working. The project itself was also better than I could have ever hoped for. Mama Gladys is by far the most special person I have ever met in my entire life. Words cannot even expain how beautiful her soul is, I am proud that I was able to work with someone like her. Mama Gladys and the kids made sure I felt welcomed from the very first second I walked in Door of Hope, and this didn't change during my stay. Spending time with the kids was such a good experience and I really got to love every single one of them. Saying goodbye was probably one of the hardest thing, BUT this is why I will return as soon as possible:). If you love kids: Door of Hope is the place to be for you. You will give, but also receive lots and lots of love!

Roos
Port Elizabeth South Africaa

Feeling welcomed my Mama Gladys

As a volunteer within the orphanage I was feeling extremely welcomed by Mama Gladys and her staff. It feels like coming home in a sense. She is an amazing person and cares for all of her children.
During my volunteering experience I learned to see how these kids open up when you give them individual attention. It changed my view on life and how lucky I am compared to other less privileged people. It was a very humbling experience for me and Mama Gladys and the kids make me see the beauty in small things.

Structure. It would be nice to implement a daily structure or program so volunteers know what they can do on a daily basis.

Sonja
Port Elizabeth, South Africa

Having a family away from home

After travelling the world for 1 1/2 years visiting different countries I came to South Africa to travel and also volunteer in Port Elizabeth. I first volunteered in different townships where help and support was needed, playing with the kids, doing activities, supporting the local community. I stayed in a volunteer house with other international volunteers. It was great to have people around to share experiences.
Initially I wanted to volunteer for two weeks, but because of the great time I had during my stay, I came back again after travelling in South Africa to volunteer and help out in the projects. When my time came to leave I redecided and prolonged my stay for further three months. During that period I mainly supported the Door of Hope orphanage to offer my administration and finance skills. CDOH is such a lovely home, where you really feel being in a family with a great Mama Gladys, her caring caregivers and a bunch of lovely children. On the one hand I helped with my volunteer support but on the other hand they gave so much back to me just being around them, getting a hug or a smile always made my day. Every day was so special and they became brothers and sisters to me.
After going back home for Christmas I couldn't stop thinking about my volunteer time in Port Elizabeth and three months later I came back now to work as a volunteer coordinator for all projects that Khaya is offering so I am the proven example that volunteer work can be really a life changing experience.

Khaya offers unique and affordable volunteer projects in South Africa, Malawi and Tanzania working directly with local partners and projects. Khaya is proud to have a clear focus on ethical and responsible volunteering and works closely with the projects they run or set up themselves.