Summer Volunteer Programs in South Africa

Program Highlight!

A full spectrum of Chinese adventure awaits, as complex as the country itself. Hike the Great Wall of China and experience Mandarin immersion and language classes on our China: Mandarin Service Adventure program!

South Africa is a country on the southernmost tip of the African continent, marked by several distinct ecosystems. It is as well-known for its gorgeous beaches and epic safari reserves as it is for its stormy civil rights history. Over 20 years after apartheid ended in 1994, the country is still a place where the divide between the rich and poor is vast. Despite this, the community and culture of South Africa continue to draw people from all over the world to visit the pleasant people who call it home.

South Africa: Social Change Project™: Address challenges in the developing world through social enterprise and solution-oriented initiatives in South Africa.

South Africa: Safari Service Expedition™: Be on the front lines of black rhino conservation, and learn how to track, monitor and protect South Africa’s most majestic wild animals.

• Program Selection 10
  • Pre-departure Help 10
  • In-program Support 10
  • Impact on Student 10
Florentina

GLA Parent Experience

Leading up to my daughter's departure, GLA was extremely supportive and helpful. I loved that you could book your own flights (as opposed to being forced to go to JFK or Ontario first) because I'm in a mileage program. Even then, they helped me book the flight that worked the best. During the trip, I waited each and every day to look at the program blog. It was so wonderful seeing my daughter step out of her comfort zone with a smile on her face. Right when she came back home she immediately told me about the millions of plans she had to return to South Africa or go on another GLA trip. I'm happy to say I'm planning to let her go on one again :) !

Hannah

Exceeds expectations

My trip to South Africa has been the most pivotal moment of my life thus far. Especially within this specific program, you tackle issues that most other travel organizations do not. I was able to work directly with a small business owner, and the whole GLA group was able to help foster entrepreneurship in a country with about a 25% unemployment rate. South Africa is a beautiful country, with stunning views (and penguins! and ostriches!) and vibrant cities. If many are hesitant to travel afar, South Africa is a great choice. Everyone is welcoming and helpful (and speaks English). When I left, I cried my eyes out. I plan on returning as soon as possible, and hopefully studying there during University.

About Global Leadership Adventures (GLA)

With a history and heritage in global education, Global Leadership Adventures packs our itineraries with leadership development, volunteering and the delight of taking learning off the beaten path. Our unique program design produces what many...