Summer Volunteer Programs in Peru

Program Highlight!

A full spectrum of Chinese adventure awaits, as complex as the country itself. Hike the Great Wall of China and experience Mandarin immersion and language classes on our China: Mandarin Service Adventure program!

Discover Peru and learn all about life and culture from the Sacred Valley to the Spanish language while making a difference in the lives of families. GLA offers multiple Service Learning Adventures in Peru:

* Service in the Sacred Valley: Let the Andes Mountains take your breath away as you work on youth service projects.

* Spanish Service Adventure (Language Immersion): Learn Spanish, embrace Peruvian culture, and volunteer to better kids’ lives.

* Amazon Service Adventure: Piranhas, dolphins, monkeys and a jungle oasis that is primed for positive change? Welcome to the Amazon.

* Foundations of Global Health: Contribute to public health and the global good in the Andean communities of the Sacred Valley, and have an experience you'll never forget.

* Children of the Andes: Gain hands-on experience teaching in a classroom.

* Peru: Service Through the Lens™: Experience Machu Picchu and beyond as you refine your photography skills and storytelling techniques.

No previous experience is necessary! On my trip there were kids who never spoke or taken Spanish before, along with kids who were already fluent. GLA has several Spanish teachers to quickly figure out what level Spanish class each person should be placed in, and everybody finds their fit. On my trip in particular, we all worked together when practicing talking in Spanish. In groups we always...

• Program Selection 10
  • Pre-departure Help 9
  • In-program Support 9
  • Impact on Student 10
Lumay

GLA peru

I recently went on the 14 day Service in the Sacred Valley trip with Global Leadership Adventures. From the minute I arrived at the airport, I was welcomed by the GLA staff. Over the next two weeks, I grew as a person, had life-changing experiences, and met a great group of people.

This program is excellent for anyone that wants to challenge themselves and learn about a different culture. In the 14 days, I was in Peru; I challenged myself both physically and mentally. It was a very intense program as the work was hard and the altitude did not help. Our determination to serve was so overwhelming that we did our best to help out as much as we could. At the end of our hard work, we were able to see the finished product: a cuy (guinea pig) farm that would help the family financially and would be a source of food. The family was so overwhelmed with gratitude that they even go us a thank you gift. One of the best moments of my trip, better than Machu Picchu or getting spit on by llamas, was helping out that one family and hearing them thank us, even if it was in a different language.

Overall the trip is fantastic! You bond with the people around you, both peers and mentors, and you get to do incredible things while exploring a different country. If anyone is considering the program, I genuinely recommend GLA.

If you are ready to explore the world I would truly recommend doing the 21 day program because the people you meet become your family and once day 14 rolls around you do not want to leave! Also to take advantage of the full GLA experience, make sure to be open minded and embrace every opportunity to grow and serve.
Chrsitiane

Daughter loved GLA!

My daughter went with GLA to both Ghana and Peru and loved both of them. She has traveled before on her own, so we weren't that worried about her, but also always knew she was in good hands! GLA made the application process really simple, and we loved all the communication we got! They set up a blog that would be updated pretty frequently! GLA is awesome! Feel free to contact me if you have any questions!

Ethan

One of a kind experience!

I went to the Amazon with Global Leadership Adventures this past summer. It was a truly increíble two weeks, filled with great adventure and rewarding service. The people of Peru are super friendly and the GLA mentors were very well versed with the community. I cherished every moment I spent there and would go back instantly. Anyone that wishes to do service abroad, especially in a place as magical as the Amazon, GLA has amazing programs that travel across the globe.

Response from Global Leadership Adventures (GLA)

Thank you for sharing your takeaways from your volunteering experience with GLA in Peru. We're so glad you had a wonderful time and made lifetime memories during your time abroad.

Eva

AMAZING TRIP!!!

Hi all! I am a Global Leadership Adventures Alumni and I had an amazing time in Peru, this past summer! I really recommend GLA! The housing experience was great! GLA Peru rented out a hotel in Cusco, for both the 2 week and the 3 week groups. I felt very safe there! I had never been to Peru, so I felt that by being there I grew, a lot! I understood much of their culture and what their lifestyles are like. The program staff were very supportive! I felt that I was able to talk to them about whatever I needed, or if I was frustrated with other students! Overall I recommend GLA to all High School age students.

Michaela

Unique Adventure for Anyone Who Takes It

Service in the sacred valley had to be the best possible way to spend a part of my summer and it may have been my best summer yet. I had my doubts initially as to whether the program was the right one for me; I'm pretty introverted, so I didn't know if it would be to much social interaction. However, I've discovered that GLA offers the perfect amount. In traveling to architectural sights and hiking through the mountains, you could choose to appreciate and reflect on your surroundings internally or you could choose to express them externally, where a group of people could relay how they felt back to you and you could share in that with them. Being apart of this program has made me realize how much I like working with children, and how I want to incorporate that into my future. The same goes with traveling: once you're bit by the travel bug, there's no going back. Gla offers you an opportunity to discover what you're passionate about or, if you have that passion already, to further discover the best way to incorporate what you love into your future. I would definitely do this again.

I would change how much food is wasted at Gla meals. We had an over abundance of food that sometimes went to waste; we just didn't eat as much as we had. I think that instead of throwing it out, we should give it to people in the area who need it.
Mountain

I would do it all over again in a heartbeat

My three weeks in Andahuaylillas (a little town about an hour south of Cusco) were easily among the most magical times of my life and is something that I will never forget as long as I live. Being in the Andes surrounded by all the culture and history of the land and people was extremely enlightening, it helped put more of a perspective on the size of the world. The massive mountains around you all the time and the best view of the night sky I have ever experienced in my life are extremely high up on my list of favorite things about going on this trip. The only thing that surpasses that is the people who went through it all with me. I met thirty-something of the most amazing people i could have ever hoped to meet, I consider these people to be some of my best and closest friends on the planet. One of the funniest times of my whole life was the series of days that we travelled to Machu Picchu. Each day was super awesome in a different way, from a multiple hour bus ride with a soak in some sweet hot springs at the end, to a scenic walk along railroad tracks next to the beautiful Urubamba river on our way to Aguas Calientes. I remember everyone walking around laughing and having a great time while we looked around all the markets that had things that you don't generally see in the USA. This trip was absolutely incredible and life changing in so many ways. I loved every second of my time in Peru and I would recommend this to everyone!

It could have been longer, saying goodbye was the hardest part.
Hanh

Unforgettable Three Weeks

It is very hard to summarized 3 weeks in to a paragraph, it is hard to believe but this trip has made a huge impact on how i viewed the world. I was very nervous and anxious before the trip because it was my first time ever leave the country alone. I was hoping that a member of GLA would somehow purchased the same flight I had but it did not happen. However, I was glad that I was by myself on my flight to Peru because it made me more confident and I even made friends with people. One thing I wish I knew was that I need to pick up my luggage when I arrived in Lima airport; when I landed in Cuzco, I found out that my suitcase was stuck in Lima and it would take 2 to 3 days before I could get it.

Flash forward to my arrival, I was the first student in my group to arrived. I was greeted by my mentors who made me felt right at home. When my fellow student arrived, they were so nice and sweet that I fit right in. The view I had of Peru when I got there was already amazing, but with the people whom I spend 3 weeks, I will never forget it.

The mentors were so friendly and sweet that our group eventually call them our dad, mom, and bigger sister. The locals were so sweet and amazing. The people i volunteer for treated us with respect and teaches us new skill;, they never made us feel uncomfortable at all and trusted us with all their heart. Even though the local live in poverty, you can never find them without a smile on their face. I have learn to be grateful for the privileges I have because the people in Peru always enjoy the little things in life even when things were rough.

The most unforgettable event that I will always treasure is when I learn how to knit with the women. It was the second to last week of my short trip and I promised my self I would learn how to knit, so I went to a workshop at the place I volunteered at and asked the women to teach me how to knit. Between my limited knowledge of Spanish and the women who couldn't speak English, they agreed to teach me. I spend an entire day learning how to knit in different patterns. The women were very gentle, they showed me the right ways when I was wrong, then eventually they allowed me to knit my first beanie. Leaving the women there was the hardest; they cried when I said goodbye. Even though I only knew them for a short period of time, tears didn't stop flowing out of one of the women's cheek. I promised her and myself that I would study hard and one day I will return and visit here and the people there.

Anjulee

A truly unbeatable experience

I traveled to Peru last summer with Global Leadership Adventures and was completely blown away by the experience. I hadn't done a trip without knowing anyone going into it, so I came into the experience more than a little nervous and wary. But GLA exceeded all of my expectations. I felt completely safe and secure at every moment, and that was a big deal to me. The accommodations on the trip were great and the mentors on the trip were absolutely fantastic. Right from the start, I felt welcomed and supported, and as the trip went on I only grew more in awe of how cool they were. The other great aspect was they really take leadership, adventure, and cultural immersion into account, almost as much as they do meaningful service work.
Yet what made my trip truly exceptional were the other students. Before the trip, my friend who had done GLA Costa Rica told me that GLA attracts really cool people and I was going to make some really great friends, and that proved so true. Somehow I was lucky enough to get to explore Peru with 30 of the coolest, nicest, funniest people I had ever met. Lasting friendships just formed instantly and I'm so grateful for the relationships I formed, and my trip wasn't an exception to the norm. As I look at my opportunities in the future, I really don't know how anything could top my trip with GLA last summer.

Lisa

Adventure in the Andes!

Hello everyone! I was in the GLA Peru: Service in the Sacred Valley trip. My three weeks in Peru with Global Leadership Adventures were amazing! From hiking the Inca Trail to building a greenhouse for a local village in Cusco, the projects we worked on and the activities we did every day were unique and forced us out of our comfort zone to figure out new ways to achieve our goals. Our service project was to build the foundation for a greenhouse, and a major challenge was figuring out a system of transporting huge rocks up a hill and into the walls of the greenhouse. With the help of our mentors and other locals, we broke up into teams and built up the wall with impressive speed. The mentors on our trip were consistently dedicated to our success; they are inspirational people who taught me to look at the world in different ways and have helped me understand what I want to do in the future. At the end of my trip, I felt that I had made a definite impact on the village I worked in, and also that my worldview and understanding of problems faced by developing communities was deepened. I definitely recommend Global Leadership Adventures to anyone interesting in making a change while immersed in another culture.

If interested, you can visit their website at www.experiencegla.com or you can search "GLA Peru" in Facebook to read more about the trip and have questions answered from GLA Alumni.

Beate

Amazing experience!

My trip to Peru was amazing! As a 14 year old, I was the youngest in my group and was nervous at first, but as soon as I arrived I realized there was nothing to be worried about! My group had 30 kids in it with 4 consolers, and I was lucky enough to get to know them all. I made many friends on my trip (man whom I am still in contact with) and together we made every day exciting. My group worked on improving sanitation in a small community. Every week day we would volunteer and then take Spanish lessons, and during the weekends we took many adventure trips. Overall, I had a great time and would highly recommend Global Leadership Adventures.

If I had to change one thing about the trip I would increase the food variety.
Elizabeth

Best Experience of My Life

The time I spent in Peru might of well been the most amazing time i have ever experienced. When i found out I had the privilege to go on this trip I did not no what to expect. I had never gone on a trip like this, by myself, for such a long time (3 weeks). This trip included 3 main focus's, the service, the adventure, and the language. Each part was a key component to making this trip as spectacular as is was. Another part that made this trip was the wonderful staff we had on hand. They provided us with the care we needed throughout the whole trip. I was very grateful for them all. I made life changing experiences on this trip and my life will be forever impacted because of it. It opened my eyes to the possibilities of change i could make in this world. I highly recommend the Global Leadership Adventures Peru service trip. Its a trip like no other!

Guilherme

Summer Camp in Cuzco - Estudo do Meio e Trabalho Social

Em meu colégio fazemos estudos do meio e trabalho social todos os anos. Imaginei que o GLA, Global Leadership Adventures, me proporcionasse uma experiência semelhante, em outro país e em outra língua. Mas foi muito mais, foi uma experiência de vida incomparável.
Como único representante latino, achei que minha adaptação no fosse ser tão rápida, até porque meu colégio tem como segunda língua o francês e não inglês. Me senti acolhido desde o início, pelos tutores e pelos outros participantes.
Embora a história do Brasil e do Peru tenham origem semelhantes, nossa cultura indígena nem de perto chega a cultura Inca. Tivemos oportunidade de conviver com a população local em Cuzco, um povo muito acolhedor e solidário. A construção da estufa (greenhouse) foi um desafio diário que resultou não somente na estrutura física do prédio, mas no estreitamento do laço afetivo entre os participantes. O trabalho em equipe e a convivência nos tornou amigos para a vida.
Os passeios históricos e nossas caminhadas não poderiam ter tido cenário mais bonito. A vista de Machu Pichu é espetacular e ainda vi neve pela primeira vez...para surpresa dos meus novos amigos acostumados com o inverno americano.
Nosso headquarters em Cuzco é um hotel simples mas bem localizado, só para os participantes. A comida peruana é muito boa e gostosa para o paladar brasileiro. Tive ainda a oportunidade de na volta para o Brasil ficar em Lima e os restaurantes são de primeiro mundo. A cidade é muito interessante também, mais historia e cultura!
Recomendo a todos!!!
Gulherme Missaka

Peru is a country of extremes. Cuzco is a small part of it. I would recommend that the program would include the possibility for those interested, to stay in Lima for a day or two, so that they could experience another peruvian way of life. It would be a nice addition.
Molly

Reaching Out of My Boundaries

I first began my travel to Lima on a 7 hour flight alone from Miami, Florida. I thought at first when arriving in Cuzco I would for sure get lost, but it was great because before I had even left we were all given matching t-shirts. These shirts made it easy to identify if they were part of the GLA program. Later when we arrived at our hotel, we were all brought inside and shown our rooms. The service at the hotel was amazing. They provided our towels, food, and even washed our clothes. It was nice being at the hotel because the Global Leadership Adventures Program had rented out the hotel. This meant that no one else had access to the hotel except us. The staff for the program was also very welcoming and kind. They were very close and wanted to really get to know you. Making friends for me was tough at first because I am kinda shy, but the environment was very welcoming and allowed me to get over being shy and make lifelong friends. At the service site, which was making a greenhouse for a school, we would all help out and during our breaks get to play soccer with the children. This was truly an amazing experience and I encourage everyone to attend any of the Global Leadership Adventure Programs.

Grace

Life Changing trip!!

I went to Peru this summer with GLA and I can honestly say it changed my life. The trip had three aspects- language, service, and adventure. The service was very rewarding- we worked to build sidewalks and eco-refrigerators in a nearby village. I felt like the project was simple enough to be in my range of abilities, but still helpful to the village. I also learned a ton of spanish! We worked with spanish professors in small groups and also had opportunities to practice our spanish out and about in Cusco or our home base town Andahuaylillas. On the weekends we went on excursions to Cusco, Machu Picchu, and white water rafting! Overall the trip was great, I learned a lot and had the time of my life!

Amy

Like No Other

I came into the program at Peru believing I would spend time volunteering abroad, meeting locals, and hiking a trail to Machu Picchu. Well, I was correct. But to state that those actions were the bulk of my adventure would be an insult to how much Global Leadership Adventures has impacted my life. We did build a greenhouse for a local school, we did visit an orphanage and help locals sort quinoa, we did hike a 15-mile trail full of wonder, only to see more wonder at the place of the ancient Incan civilization. However, I came back home with so much more than an experience to culture and beauty. Global Leadership Adventures has completely turned my life around- no longer obsessed with success or achievement, but obsessed with passion and wonder for the world. Being able to see the faces of the young schoolchildren when we played soccer with them, or gazing at the Milky Way at our campsite to Machu Picchu, I could not have been more overwhelmed with joy. I still tell my friends every day about Peru, and it has been 4 months since the program ended. I still read the 50 pages of my GLA journal full of scribbles and crude sketches, I still talk to the wonderful people I have met in the journey, I still can't stop thinking of my experience everyday. GLA made sure we were safe; they take a lot of precaution and stick to their 5-Point Safety System. I am a vegetarian, but the food at home base could accommodate my needs perfectly. This really is the program that changed my life, and I will never forget it. I am forever thankful to Global Leadership Adventures, my mentors, and all the people I have met along the way.

I genuinely cannot think of any way the program can be improved besides what I control for myself. I was generally shy when it started, but I grew as it progressed. That is no way in GLA's control, and I truly believe they did a perfect job.

About Global Leadership Adventures (GLA)

With a history and heritage in global education, Global Leadership Adventures packs our itineraries with leadership development, volunteering and the delight of taking learning off the beaten path. Our unique program design produces what many...