Kaya Volunteer Programs in South Africa

View from cable car in Cape Town
View from cable car in Cape Town
African elephants at Kwantu reserve
African elephants at Kwantu reserve
Children playing 'heads, shoulders, knees, and toes'
Children playing 'heads, shoulders, knees, and toes'
Volunteers in tree workshop in South Africa
Volunteers in tree workshop in South Africa

Join one of Kaya's many award-winning volunteer or intern programs in South Africa. Located across South Africa including Kruger, Cape Town, and St.Lucia, you can work in wildlife research, environmental conservation, or a variety of healthcare and community projects.

South Africa is an incredibly diverse and vibrant country, ranging from artistic, cultural cities, to wide spanning bush and reserves dedicated to conservation. You could be volunteering within communities living with HIV, or helping toward the conservation of endangered rhinos.

South Africa is a country with a complex history, famous coastlines, and stunning landscapes. Their advisors will make sure that you are placed on the project that is right for you, whether that is based on your skills, career plans, or just which cause you want to make a difference in. If you chose to volunteer or intern with Kaya in South Africa, their expert team will be able to advise you on where to travel during your free time.

• Volunteer with Africa's Big 5 (lion, leopard, rhino, elephant, and buffalo) in Port Elizabeth
  • Work in St. Lucia at a project dedicated to improving education in rural communities
  • Marine and wildlife adventure tour through South Africa, Mozambique, and Eswatini
  • Travel throughout the outstanding landscapes of South Africa during free-time from your volunteer placement or internship
  • Volunteer in community development, immersing yourself entirely in the local culture, while developing personal and professional skills

We’ve updated our refund & cancelation policy to allow for flexible booking due to COVID-19

Book now with zero deposit on any Kaya program - and be guaranteed the lowest prices for 2020 and 2021 programs

Mo

Volunteering at Disabled Children's Riding school in Cape Town

I'm a mature lady that for once had a little time to be able to visit South Africa and do voluntary work at SARDA riding school for disabled children in Cape Town. Despite my initial concerns whether I would be able to cope with the physical work in the stables and as a side walker to the riders, it was an extremely uplifting experience and a real joy to see the smiles of the children who all appeared to benefit from their lessons. The highlight was on my last morning when on two separate occasions my name was called out and I was waved at by children who had learning difficulties.
I was very spoilt and so well taken care of from being met at the airport, escorted to my homestay with my own en suite. I was taken on orientation and other trips, I made so many friends who were on the same or different projects.
If you're thinking of doing a voluntary project, just do it, it's a life changer.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
Given the opportunity, I would spend more time on the project, I loved the horses, staff and of course the kids were amazing.