• South Africa

Age Max
Year Round
Rondavel
Groups
Small Group (1-15) Medium Group (16-30) Large Group (31+)
Travel Type

7 weeks $2 940
8 weeks $3 280
Your fees include:
- Transfers on Saturdays for arrival/departure
- Three meals per day, tea, coffee, juice
- Accommodation including bedding and towels
- Laundry
- One trip to town per week
- Working in the community
- Internet and telephone charges
Your fees exclude:
- Flights, internal/international
- Travel insurance
- Personal toiletries such as shampoo, sun block, mosquito cream
- Sodas, cokes, alcohol
What's Included
Accommodation Activities Airport Transfers Meals Transportation Wifi
What's Not Included
Some Activities Airfare Domestic Airfare Equipment SIM cards Travel Insurance Visa
Jan 18, 2021
Apr 01, 2022
125 travelers are looking at this program

This exceptional experience provides volunteers with the unique opportunity of not only caring for some of South Africa’s most iconic species, but also of using these animals as a tool to inspire a generation of underprivileged school children to become passionate about wildlife conservation. Work with children and wildlife in the heart of the Limpopo Province of South Africa with DAKTARI, a non-profit organization.

Be it doing bush walks, learning about the negative aspects of poaching, or discussing the importance of respect, you will always be busy! Members of the project’s team will guide you and help you whenever needed, so you will never be alone!

DAKTARI volunteers pay a fee in order to cover the cost of their stay and to contribute to DAKTARI's programs. Your fee will feed a cheetah, get someone a job, and educate an underprivileged child. It helps us make an impact in the community and provides you with an amazing South African experience!

So - what are you waiting for?
COME JOIN US & HELP CHANGE OUR WORLD

**100% of your payment goes to the charity connected with the school children.**

Program Highlights

• Take an active part in educating underprivileged children about the environment to make a real impact in their community! You, alongside the other volunteers, will be in charge of leading the lessons as well as the activities.
  • Help care for injured and orphaned animals as part of the educational program.
  • Meet the community through our outreach program in the local schools and creche, and help further our impact in the village!
  • Experience Africa by immersing yourself in the community, or visiting some of the iconic sights and areas surrounding the project’s location!!
  • You can also sign up for a home stay in which you and up to one other person can spend the night with one of our local families to see what it's like to live in an African village. Be prepared to get up early to help out!

Program Impact

Our programs have reached more than 4,000 children in 14 years, cared for hundreds of animals, and helped employ dozens of youth.

Teaching Program: We teach children about the environment and conservation. We supplement their schooling with math games and social talks about respect, substance abuse, and safe sex.

Wildlife Orphanage: The animals here have been found abandoned or injured. These animals can not be rehabilitated into the wild because they are too dependent. Our goal is to give them a second chance, while educating underprivileged children to care, love and protect them.

Outreach Program: Our work doesn't stop at our gates. We also have eco clubs and community development initiatives.

• 9-10 rating 93.75%
  • 7-8 rating 6.25%
Isabel

Living a dream

Spending those 6 weeks at Daktari has been even more amazing and wonderful than I would have ever imagined. I did not feel like a volunteer at all, I immediately became part of a caring and fun family. Working so closely with all the animals has always been a dream of mine and being able to do so, in such an ethical, respectful environment is a wonderful, life changing experience.

Pros
  • Meaningful Interaction with Children
  • Educational Work with all kinds of Animals
  • Safe and fun environment
laure

Great experience !

The DAKTARI family is more than welcoming and you feel at home as soon as you arrive. The teaching program you receive as soon as you register, which allows you to have a look of what to expect, is great and you can feel the impact on kids at the end of the week. The coordinator is always here to help you in the teaching program if needed. Stabling twice a day allows you to interact with bush animals which is incredible. The animal manager and her coworkers makes a great job explaining what do it and how to do it. You'll never get bored though you're still having fun ! Thanks a lot to everyone !

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
When you re at Daktary, you feel like everyone (volunteers, staff and the kids) is your family so you feel at home within the bush ! Meanwhile you live among animals (dont panic, not the wild ones !) you dont even know the name who come sit on your laps and you can pet them !
Francisco

An amazing experience with an amazing staff

I work as a travel agent, bringing volunteers to DAKTARI and other projects around the world. After helping a lot of volunteers fulfil their dreams of coming to South Africa, I managed to arrange 2 weeks to spend at the project. What a wonderful time I had starting with the staff who are so friendly and polite, the animals being taken care of as if they were family and the amazing food that was prepared catering to each of the volunteers individual needs. I can only say that if you are looking for an unique and quality experience involving a well thought out educational program and the preservation of native animal species, this is the one for you.

Come with an open mind to experience and learn a lot of new things. You need to have a passion for animals and education, the staff really counts on you to do your duties!
Emilio

nice experience!

I spend 4 weeks at DAKTARI and it was a big step out of my comfort zone to get here but when i arrived i felt home right away! i loved working with kids and animals, i learned a lot and i also got to know amazing people from all over the world!!! Amazing trips, nice food, lovely people, great teaching program about environment, poaching, tourist and jobs and wild animals. I made friends for life and i would never forget my stay at DAKTARI because it was such a wonderful time!! Thank you for this experience!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
i went on a safari and saw the big 5, also around the camp we saw a lot of wild animals
Emilio

3 weeks at DAKTARI!

Coming to volunteer at DAKTARI Bush School was an experience close to perfection. Without a doubt it was way better than expected and I would recommend this place to everyone. Since the moment I arrived, I was welcomed by everyone in the best way possible. During these three weeks, they made me feel part of a big family between the volunteers and the staff. From each person that you get to know from here, you will take new memories and create unique moments. Doing the teaching program is pretty easy as there is a guide extremely clear that explains everything that you have to do during each lesson. It feels really good to teach the kids from the community as you know you are making an impact in their lives as they learn about animals, environment, crime, drugs, alcohol, etc. Furthermore, specially for me, working with animals was something extremely new but I can say, although I'm very afraid of them, you get used to work in stabling every day and even you can start to like them. I had the opportunity to see cheetahs, ostrichs, owls, and many other animals, all days as something normal, and even sometimes you will see jiraffes near the campus. Also, we went on an excursion with other volunteers thats was awesome, and we got to see four animals out of the Big 5, and the remaining one, I saw it in one of our trips to town. On the other hand, food and accommodation was really good and overpassed my expectations, you will have something different to eat in every meal and in every day of the week, and absolutely everything is delicious. Overall, I can say I will always remember my time here at DAKTARI and I will take friendships that will remain for a long time.

What was your funniest moment?
All nights sitting in the lapa with volunteers were funny!
Joya

Amazing stay

I was at Daktari for the second time with my mom and my brother. Our first as well as our second stay here were fantastic and there is nothing I can complain about. They treat the animals and the kids in such a good way and during my whole stay I felt really valued at Daktari. The camp and the whole atmosphere is so nice and I really enjoyed beeing in the bush with all the animals. While teaching you can feel how big the impact on the kids is and for me it's really nice to see how they develop just during one week. When I left, I left with a second family and tons of beatiful and amazing memories.

Delphine

A life changing experience

I will recommend DAKTARI to anyone that want a life changing experience, with both animals and children, in a pleasant environment. I have now so many good memories at camp and during the excursions, but also animal and nature knowledge. This is sure, I came back with a lot of stories to tell my friends, and in the future, my children and great children>
And even with a bad covid-19 situation and without any kids, the staff had made everything so my stay was enjoyable. And I'm so thankful for that !

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
We spend with staff members and the other volunteers a night on a rock in the middle of the bush, the wildlife. We had a small bonefire and enjoy some local food. It was a real adventure !
Janis

DAKTARI - an unforgettable experience

I spent a magnificent time at Daktari Bushschool and Wildlife Orphanage in South Africa. It's a mixture between animal care and teaching underpriviledged children from the villages. During one week they get some lessons in subjects like "evironment, wildlife crime, animal tracks, politeness, leadership skills, substance abuse etc. and they help doing the animal stabling twice a day. The week at the camp leaves a great impact on the children. "It was my best week ever" were the final words of one of the students. I appreciated not only the perfect organisation and accomodation but also the kindness of the co-founders and all the staff members. I leave this wonderful place with a lot of unforgettable experiences, some new skills and a heart full of gratitude.

Go to Daktari and appreciate not only the perfect organisation and accomodation but also the kindness of the co-founders and all the staff members. You'll eave this wonderful place with a lot of unforgettable experiences, some new skills and a heart full of gratitude.