Volunteer as a sport coach in South Africa

United Through Sport South Africa (UTSSA) is greatly pleased to welcome international volunteers/interns to South Africa, especially to the friendly Nelson Mandela Bay (Port Elizabeth area) in the province of the Eastern Cape.

South Africa is an ideal destination as it combines non-exhaustive travel potential with quality sports activities and extraordinary diversity. So if you want a real human, cultural and unique African experience through a rewarding volunteer placement, you are sure to find a project that quenches your thirst for

No you don't need a tennis coaching qualification or in fact any coaching qualification - although I would say it's quite useful to have done some coaching before as you are left to plan and run your own sessions which can be a little intimidating without much experience.
Uh oh, we couldn't find the answer either! But that's a great question. Click here to contact the program directly: https://www.unitedthroughsport.org/contact/

Becca

Take me back to SA!!

My 5 weeks tennis coaching on South Africa were some of the best experiences of my life. The kids are fantastic and seeing the smiles on their faces as you bring your sport to them is a feeling like no other. Having had little coaching experience I found it a little challenging at first but I would say by the end of my 5 weeks I had grown in confidence and could lead a session by myself which I would have never expected at the beginning. Also spending time in my last week at the holiday camp in Addo was eye opening meeting kids who don't have a lot but could not seem happier with so much love to give. I also can't forget my fellow volunteers who became some great friends and I hope we will continue to stay in touch. Along with the coaching I also got to do see some of the beautiful country and do some incredible things including a Safari and Shark Cage Diving. Having now been home a couple of months I am still missing South Africa everyday and would give anything to go back.

Perhaps a little more support in planning the coaching sessions. With little experience in coaching I sometimes found it difficult to think of ideas of things to do that would last enough time to fill the whole hour and a half. There also felt like there wasn't that much to do in the local area of Port Elizabeth. We organised our own transport to explore but perhaps more organised excursions on the weekend would have been less pricey and easier to include more people.
Mateo

My best experience

Coaching with the children in the townships and trying to give them fun and some lifeskills has been unbelievable. I cannot forget the social part of the programm as well!! I've made friends for life. The memory of the children playing and having fun will stay with me until the end of my life.

Ewout

Time of my life here

Working with these kids was amazing, they appreciate it so much. It gives you a good feeling to give them lessons and learn them things. I have created such a band with lots of children, it was sad to leave them. But I am glad that I had the opportunity to work with these childrens.

The Addo Holiday camp was a peak of my internship, really liked that week with the children over there.

Also the weekendtrips were very nice, South Africa is beautiful! I will try to come back in a few years.

Thanks United Through Sport for a life experience I will never forget.

Some varation with the food

About United Through Sport South Africa

United Through Sport is a UK registered development through sport charity helping disadvantaged communities reich their full potential in sport, education and health.

There are three main programmes:

1) Mass Participation Programme