Volunteer with Children in Tanzania

Volunteer with Children in Tanzania

In Tanzania, our volunteers have the opportunity to serve at our flagship project, the help2kids Children’s Home, and at our partner projects – a primary school and a nursery school. At the Children's Home we house and care for 31 amazing children who do not have family support. We support the local primary school for children from low-income families by providing financial backing, sending volunteers who tutor students, and supplying educational materials. We also send volunteers to serve as teaching assistants at a nursery school.

Each weekday morning, volunteers teach at one of our partner projects and then tutor kids from the Children’s Home in the afternoon. Volunteers also have the opportunity to serve as assistant coaches on our kids’ football team and to create their own weekend activities at the Children’s Home.

Africa » Tanzania » Dar es Salaam
Africa » Tanzania
Guesthouse
The cost to volunteer per month is USD 700. The fees include accommodation in one of our dormitories (4-6 people), food (lunch and dinner Monday to Friday, breakfast everyday), room cleaning, in-country support, administration, and security.

Monika
Germany

The best 6 months of my life!

I spent four months with Help2Kids in Tanzania in late 2014 and returned for a two-months stay in summer 2015. I took part in many different projects there as well as traveling around the country and see Tanzania's beautiful landscape!

I went to the nursery school every morning with at least one other volunteer, where we led a class of about ten kids who were between five and eight years old. We taught English, Maths and special arts and sports classes. We also tried to teach English to the younger group(3-5years), which was a lot of singing and trying to play educational games, which was a lot of fun, not only for the kids.
I really liked that we were free to plan our own lessons with the kids and teach them our own way. When it got to difficult the teacher was always next door in the other classroom and could translate and explain the activities to the kids. During breaktime we had time to play and cuddle the kids on a sandy yard in front of the school.
At the Guesthouse where all the volunteers are staying we taught English to the Mamas and the gardener who work there. It was great to talk and laugh with them as you saw them getting more confident with their English. I also got to know their personalities and they become much more than a cook and laundress to me. They took me to the local market, taught me how to cook traditional food and a lot about their culture and live in Tanzania.
For lunch we all met at the Children’s Home of Help2Kids where the volunteers and staff ate together and could talk about there mornings.
At around half past three the kids of the Children’s Home come home from school and it’s the volunteers job to help them with their homework doing educational exercises or just hang out together and play games. It’s an awesome experience to get to know all these wonderful children and their characters.
I think it’s best to go there for as long as possible as you need some time to get into the projects, get to know everyone and feel at home. When I realized I know all the kids and Mamas names and they knew mine that was the moment I felt like I was not a stranger anymore at the Children’s Home but a welcome guest there.
That’s why I decided to go back there and volunteer again in 2015, which was the best decision I could make.

I really liked working with help2kids and would recommend it to everyone who wants to spend a few months overseas.
Help2Kids definitely needs more long-term volunteers, as many volunteers are leaving after just one month.
During the six months I stayed in Tanzania, I got to know more than 50 volunteers.
I think the impact would be much higher for both the kids and the volunteers if they stayed longer.

Alice
Austria

Swahili, lots of kids and the time of my life

In January of 2015 I started as a volunteer at help2kids in Tanzania. I had planned to go on to Malawi after 2 month but after a month I already knew that I would not leave TZ any sooner than really necessary.
Working with the kids and really getting to know them requires some time. That's why I would recommend that if it's possible you go for at least 3 month.
I got to learn some Swahili and also how to really move and be in TZ culture.
Haggling at markets or with a bajaj driver, going with the daladala everyday, buying oranges at the side of the street in May, finding new ways of teaching, no umbrella during rainy season and really getting to know everyone in the projects, especially the kids and staff members, are just a few parts of my experience with help2kids. I really came to see Dar es Salaam and the Friendly Gecko as my home for 5 month - a feeling you might not get if you're only there for a few weeks.
I also got to see Kilimanjaro during my Visa run to Kenya and words wouldn't do the experience any justice.
Overall I loved living in TZ (even if only for 5 month), I came to love the kids and everybody who works at the projects and I made some really special friends.
My piece of advice for people who think of volunteering: go as long as possible, think of fun, educational activities that you can do with the kids (you might want to bring crafting supplies), don't expect the projects being about you volunteering but really about the kids, try supporting the staff and Mamas as best you can and just bring loooots of love and ideas and joy.

Nicole
Basel, Switzerland

amazing time in Tanzania

I spent 2 amazing months in Tanzania with help2kids.
I'm a kindergarden and primary school teacher in my country (Switzerland) and with help2kids I had the great possibility to get to know the educational system in Tanzania. I could work in a primary school and as well in a kindergarden. I love to work with the local people, the children and as well with the other volunteers. (There were a lot of volunteers from Switzerland, almost all of us)
During my stay in Tanzania I was located in the Friendly Gecko Guest House, that is part of the help2kids organization. The local staff in the Friendly Gecko Guest House is absolutely friendly and cooks amazing food! I visit Tanzania during summertime/summer vacation. So there were a lot of volunteers, sometimes too much. The Guesthouse was really crowded.
During my stay I did a Safari-Trip to different Nationalparks in Tanzania with some other volunteers. It was a great adventure. If you inform the staff from help2kids in advance it's possible to take some days off and to go on a trip. I really enjoyed this generosity.

To sum up, I had a great time in Tanzania and really enjoyed it! If someone ask me, would you do it again? My answer is definitely: YES!

During the time I was in Tanzania, there were some people, who stay just a short time (e.g. 2 weeks) or were not 18 years old.
In the internet there is written that you have to stay at least 4 weeks and you have to be 18 or older.
In my opinion there is no sense in taking volunteers that are too young or stay a short time. There is no profit for the children in Tanzania, if there are so many changes of the volunteers.

Kristina
Hamburg, Germany

Great experience!

I had a wonderful time at the hel2kids organisation in Dar Es Salaam, Tansania!
The work was a lot of fun, yet also very helpful for the kids. I worked at the orphanage for three months in 2011 and I would do it again any time! I played a lot with the kids and did english, maths and art classes in the afternoon. I helped with homework, sometimes picked the kids up from school, did hospital visits with sick kids, helped the "Mamas" with the meals and laundry. The country and the people are great and very hospitable even though they do not have much to share. The volunteer experience was very valuable for me and I will never forget it!

help2kids offers children in Africa the opportunity for education, nutrition, and a place to live. We strive to give young people a lasting perspective that will help them to achieve a better life.
We run community projects in Dar es Salaam (Tanzania) and Leopard Bay