Pod Volunteer | Animal Rescue in Thailand

Pod Volunteer | Animal Rescue in Thailand

* Awarded Best Volunteering Organisation of the Year *

Pod Volunteer was awarded Best Volunteering Organisation 2017 at the British Youth Travel Awards.

Join Pod Volunteer and help to make a difference, whilst also enjoying an authentic travel experience in some incredible parts of the world!

Thailand is a magnet for travellers from around the world due to its glorious beaches, tropical climate, great food and fascinating culture.

Award winning Pod Volunteer has fantastic opportunities for volunteers to care for rescued animals and assist in marine research.

There are opportunities to join the following projects:
- Elephant Care

Year Round
Small Group (1-15)
Medium Group (16-30)
Large Group (31+)

Thai English Summer Camp... 10/10.

I first chose PoD in 2012 because I wanted to find a charity that believed in what they were offering, there were many websites and company's out there that seemed as if their main goal was to make profit rather than offering a personal, ethical, responsible volunteer experience. After such a fantastic first experience in 2012 I signed up again, in 2014 to help support the new volunteers with their experience.

From the onset of signing up for the placement Gemma and the staff at PoD were there for support. Wether it was a question as silly as "how many trousers should we bring?" They replied quickly and efficiently to reassure us that all would be ok.

The first time I volunteered with PoD I went with my friend, and although it was great to have someone from home, Gemma made it very warm and welcoming and we all quickly made friends with each other. People in the same resort were surprised when they found out we had only known each other for a couple of hours, rather than for a couple of years!

Everyday was meticulously planned so that we got the best we could out of the experience. Wether it would be snorkeling, visiting temples, working in schools, going to the night market, traditional cooking class, staying with local families, dolphin watching, island hopping... it was all quite exhausting but it helped to create a fantastic life-changing experience.

The volunteering side was inspirational, when I first volunteered with PoD I was the youngest and many of the volunteers were full time teachers with some years of experience. Hoping to do Primary Education at university myself, I feel it really challenged me to develop my own teaching style which was engaging and fun for the children whilst not relying on the interactive whiteboards and other resources you may find in a typical english classroom. It is really quite interesting how many activities you can come up with, with just a few paper plates!

The thai children really value education and are excited to learn, their enthusiasm has kept me motivated to carry on with my teaching placements in an inner-city school where, its safe to say, some children would rather be anywhere else. Whenever I am having a tough day here, I watch my video I created which documented the trip, to keep me going through all the planning, appraisals and reflections I have to do. All that I can think is 'take me back!'.

I cannot speak more highly of this experience. To me, there is no other way I would like to spend my break, than to volunteer overseas with PoD. I wish to continue volunteering with PoD as I know they have my best interest at heart and that I can always rely on them for an amazing time.

Make it longer, it goes by so quickly! I would recommend everyone to write down their day in a diary or video it so that they could remember as much detail as they could... trust me... you blink and its gone!

Working with elephants in Thailand.

We would be up and out the door by 6:30 am every day, with one day off during the week. Be prepared to walk a lot, work hard, and sweat every day. Don't expect it to be a typical "vacation," however this type of trip is so much more than that! You get to work alongside these beautiful animals and learn about them. The hard work and simple living is nothing compared to what you get out of an experience like this.

Understanding more about mahouts before going, and realizing that we work with different elephants throughout the experience, not assigned to one elephant for the trip.

Amazing Experience!

My time volunteering in Koh Phangan, Thailand with PoD was exciting, enriching, and absolutely beautiful. I was constantly pleasantly surprised by PoD's support throughout the entire project. Amazing!

About Pod Volunteer

Pod Volunteer is an award winning non-profit organisation arranging ethical, inspiring and supported volunteering opportunities around the world. We work with long term projects that we have visited personally and where there is genuine benefit to...