Volunteer at Wildlife Sanctuary in Thailand

Sun bears enjoy their newfound freedom in the wildlife sanctuary in Thailand
Sun bears enjoy their newfound freedom in the wildlife sanctuary in Thailand
Get to know the animals at the wildlife sanctuary in Thailand
Get to know the animals at the wildlife sanctuary in Thailand

This sanctuary has been set up to rescue wild animals from abuse and neglect. Over 700 animals live in this wildlife haven and, where possible, are rehabilitated into the wild. There are a variety of birds, monkeys, bears, orangutans, gibbons and macaques to name a few and also a separate elephant refuge on site.

Become part of this important mission to help look after these animals. You will be feeding, cleaning enclosures, providing enrichments, observing animals, rehabilitating, building and maintaining enclosures and conducting the ‘water run’. There is also the opportunity to help educational efforts by promoting animal welfare issues to visitors and local school groups.

You will be living in the heart of the sanctuary in comfortable shared accommodation. All meals are provided on site and internet access. The sanctuary is situated 3 hours south of Bangkok, close to the beach resort towns of Hua Hin and Cha Am. You are in a great location for exploring in your free time.

• Work with a huge number of animals each day, helping them to enjoy a new life without cruelty.
  • Meet volunteers from all around the world, and enjoy exploring together in your free time.
  • Bears, orangutans, monkeys, gibbons, birds, tigers, elephants - need we say more?!
  • Live in the middle of the sanctuary, hearing the calls of the animals as you wake and as you fall asleep.
  • Try delicious Thai food - yum!

Impact

Volunteers have helped to protect thousands of animals in the past few years at this inspirational sanctuary.

Miranda

Wildlife Friends Foundation Thailand

Thanks to Oyster Worldwide for providing this beautiful project for me, I got to work closely with these amazing rescued animals from Thailand. Although their stories of what brought them to the sanctuary absolutely broke my heart, it filled me up knowing that they are at the sanctuary now and are being so well taken care of, and that I got to be a direct helping hand!
This experience was so rewarding and nothing like I have experienced before. I got to meet so many people from around the world and form lasting relationships with both the volunteers and the staff. I only went for 3 weeks, which was a good amount for a first time, but I was just getting used to the workload and getting comfortable as I was leaving so I say: go for it! Go for a few months if you have the time and money. I know many people who are there for 4 months and it’s completely life transforming. I miss everyone, including the animals, so much. I will definitely go back to both the country and the sanctuary.

Expect to work hard and get dirty! You are living in the jungle where it is hot and dirty but the work you do is extremely rewarding. Keep a positive attitude and have fun! You’re in Thailand working with elephants and other wildlife, it’s an amazing experience to say the least.
Cicely

One of the best experiences of my life!

Oyster Worldwide were fantastic in helping me set up one of the best experiences of my life! Had an amazing amount of fun and worked hard volunteering with rescued Indian elephants. These elephants had been rescued from the trekking/riding industry, many of whom had been used in these industries for decades, so it was great to see them getting the good care they deserved! Oyster were great in helping me know what to expect when I got to Thailand. One of the most helpful things was being given a selection of useful Thai phrases with the phonetic pronunciations. These really helped me to understand the culture and way of life in Thailand a little bit more, and were definitely great ice breakers! Working with the elephants was a lot of fun and a real confidence boost! I was humbled to be able to take part in some of the amazing work the charity do. If you want to experience feeding, walking and showering an elephant, and independent travel then I highly recommend going on Oyster Worldwide's elephant conservation program in Thailand!

More warning of just how filthy you will get, advertise more that you should bring old clothes that you do not mind getting ruined. Also make people aware of the dress code before arrival so they can pack accordingly. Due to the sanctuary being on temple grounds, clothes that show cleavage, midriff, or high thigh/buttocks are not permitted.
Response from Oyster Worldwide

Hi Cicely,
Sounds like you had a wonderful experience, so glad you got so much out of going to Thailand :)

Scott

Experience of a lifetime

I had an excellent time on my trip to Thailand. Oyster helped me get there and set up everything to make it all possible. I would go back for sure and definitely consult Oyster worldwide for other trips as they come up!
Oyster was very helpful and always ready to answer any questions I had. They kept in touch while I was on the trip and made sure I was having a good time and finding everything alright.

This program was great. If it could find a way to incorporate flight prices into the cost it would make it easier.
Response from Oyster Worldwide

Hi Scott,

Great to read your review and lovely photos too,thanks ! :)