Rugby in Africa 2015

Rugby in Africa 2015

After a hugely successful 2014 project in which we worked with 46 Schools in 10 African countries, Bhubesi Pride is already building its team for 2015.

The project will run from early February to early July, we are looking for volunteers to join us for anything between a few weeks and the full 5 months!

As a Bhubesi Pride coach in Africa you will have the chance to:

1) Coach rugby, from grassroots to national level teams

2) Educate local adult staff, encouraging development of the game

3) Challenge yourself in a dynamic environment

4) Experience Africa as you travel between countries by road

"We leave a legacy with the schools and many children we work with. We teach them not only the game of rugby, but important values for their later lives and, for that, I am proud to have been able to contribute.” - Pablo Dobrowolski, Argentinian, 1 month volunteer

Africa » Zambia
Africa » Ethiopia
Africa » Botswana
Guesthouse
Hotel
Volunteers must pay a fee that varies depending on how long they are with us. This includes training, accommodation, meals, team kit and all in country transport. The fee excludes travel insurance, visas, travel medication and transport to/from Africa.

George
Lismore, Australia

Bhubesi Pride 2014

Joining Bhubesi Pride was a terrific experience and was very self satisfying. The charity is well coordinated and focused on achieving it's ultimate goal; To Unite, Power and Inspire disadvantaged children, as well as their communities through the amazing game of Rugby!

I joined the pride in it's later part of the expedition in Gabarone, Botswana and through to the end in Cape Town, SA. A total of 6 weeks. During my time I witnessed the impact our coaching days and tournaments had through the enjoyment and pure excitement these kids had. Whom most come from disadvantaged backgrounds.

Traveling through 3 African countries with other volunteers/coaches from different countries is great fun.The people I met along the way were very friendly and invited us into their home and would share their culture and stories. I saw some amazing sights and at times would have to pinch myself to realize what i was apart of!

I would strongly recommend the tour to school leavers or uni students as it is a great chance to gain experience and provide a great outlook as well as give something back to those in need.

Jaxs
Auckland New Zealand

Bhubesi Pride's a unique Charity experience

The only difficulties was trying to use Skype to reach my little girl...the rest of this trip well all of this trip was a wonderful life changing experience. The combination of coaching the sport I am most passionate about while reaching out to at risk and underprivileged communities was something very special. Also being able to see the direct impact you had on these communities and the empowerment you help to give them was a most rewarding experience.

The travel through each country I was lucky to visit and see the real Africa is just Awesome, driving past Elephants and other very large wildlife is something I have wanted to do and see my whole life so this was also accomplished within this Charity experience.

The camping was great too, as was the camp food!!

There is little to improve apart from awareness for this Charity on a more global scale. Also it would be good to get regional sponsors so we can give every child a rugby ball that part-takes in the program would be my ultimate goal!

Barry
Amsterdam

One month support coach

The coaching days were amazing. The came to rugby location nearby or we went to their school. Training/coaching them for 3/4 days to end with a tournament against the other schools. It was amazing to see how much joy they had on the rugby field. Based on the level of knowledge of the game we came up with exercises to improve their rugby skills.
Main difficulties would be the language barriere and to see them struggling for help. I sincerely hope we have given them at least an amazing week and long-term a better future

In my opinion the main improvement point will be to stay longer on one location. even though we made an impact during the 4/5 days per location, I reckon it would better if we stay 4/5 months on one location. You need a lot more volunteers doing it that way but i really think that within those 4/5 months we can really estabalish a programma that can be handed over to the local people. This by training them and making them ambassadors for the programme

Ben
Baldock, Hertfordshire
University of Bristol

Fantastic, Unique and Eye-opening Experience

Being part of this expedition for the full 6 months was truly a once in a lifetime experience. It was incredibly fulfilling seeing young Africans, some of whom had never heard of the sport of rugby, progressing to playing full directional touch rugby tournaments within the space of a week.

Every country holds its own specific highlights and beauty, they are all worth visiting and the local teachers are all very hospitable, making the entire experience thoroughly enjoyable and worthwhile.

This is a great opportunity to see a fantastic continent and to interact with some wonderful people. Being united by rugby also allows you to travel with a great group of volunteers all with a common passion and goal - I can't recommend the program highly enough

By focusing on the sustainability and longevity of the charity's long-term goals.

Guillaume
Montreal

An incredible adventure

Those five month were amazing. Being able to do something meaningful while spreading my favorite sport has been an incredible human experience.
Meeting all those people (team members, children, teachers, volunteers) really was mind opening.
I enjoyed every portion of the journey, from the soft paradise of Jinja to the hard road trips (Moyale>Marsabeth comes to my mind).

If you love rugby and people, and are somewhat adventurous, go for it !

Ben
London, UK
London Metropolitan University

Great experience - coaching and travelling

This is a great opportunity to work as part of a small team working and travelling together.

I was lucky enough to be part if the whole expedition and the balance between coaching, travelling and down time was just about right.

If you have a passion for coaching rugby at grass roots level and want to travel and meet new people this is a fantastic charity to be part of.

I have kept an eye on the 2014 expedition and the expansion and sustainability really seem to be improving which makes me proud to have been part of 'The Pride' and wish the charity future success.

More Focus on sustainability and having people in country to continue work whilst the project is not in their area.

Bhubesi Pride is a registered UK charity that runs annual expeditions through east and southern Africa, visiting up to 10 countries each year. We coach touch rugby and deliver educational talks in government primary schools.

The charity’s goals are to:

★ UNITE COMMUNITIES THROUGH RUGBY