Most Affordable & Trusted Volunteer Programs in Zambia from $270

Most Affordable & Trusted Volunteer Programs in Zambia from $270

Join IVHQ and volunteer abroad in Zambia! Highly affordable programs are based in the laid-back tourist town of Livingstone, Zambia. Volunteers are welcomed in to Livingstone and surrounding rural areas, to assist on a range of community-driven projects. Volunteers can choose to participate on projects for periods ranging from 1 week to 12 weeks and are accommodated in a dormitory-style volunteer​ ​house with other international volunteers.

Current IVHQ Volunteer Programs in Zambia:

• Teaching
  • Childcare
  • Elderly Care
  • Medical
  • Community Development

• Programs available year-round, starting on each Monday of every month
  • Program fees include airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support
  • Highly affordable program fees from $270 for 1 week
  • Community-driven projects focused on supporting local needs and delivering sustainable positive impacts
  • Superior support services both pre-departure and while volunteering
  • Free online volunteer training for all IVHQ volunteers
  • Between 15 and 30 volunteers start in Ho Chi Minh each month
  • Weekends are free to explore Vietnam with fellow volunteers - visit Victoria Falls or neighboring countries, such as Botswana, Zimbabwe and Namibia.
Africa » Zambia » Livingstone
Zambia Program Fee includes airport pick-up, orientation, program supervision, accommodation and meals during volunteer program period, in-country 24/7 volunteer support and in-country administration costs.

Zane
University of Connecticut

Beauty Through the Sadness

My time in Zambia was been so many things: beautiful, tragic, inspiring, heartbreaking, amazing... terrible and wonderful at the same time.

In the face of the most extreme poverty I have ever seen, the people are kind, gracious, welcoming, and warm. Children playing with dirt or chicken bones because they have nothing else wave from every yard, greet you with a smile, always happy just being alive. In my clinic, teenagers and people my age with advanced HIV (practically a death sentence there) would ask how my day is going, how did I like Zambia, if the local food is good.

One could be, and many of my fellow volunteers were, moved to tears at the intensity of suffering that can be seen, just to be moved to laughter and happiness by a few minutes' conversation with the people there.

I wish I had a way with words to bring these experiences home with me and to share them with anyone who will listen, but no matter how hard I try, I will fall short. All I can say is that the past month was by far the best thing I have ever done with my life, and all I can hope is that if someone reads this, they will try to help those less fortunate in whatever way they are able, and be thankful for what they have, no matter how little it may seem.

Much love, and a massive thank you to everyone whose support that made this experience possible.

Perhaps have the local team (Dream Livingstone) further assay the clinics/schools for level of need. Some days I was able to assist, but my clinic was often not busy at all, and I was more a commodity than an aid.

Chase

Kindergarten in Zambia

I cannot even begin to describe how life-changing this trip was. My kids and those in the community were so far beyond amazing. They have next to nothing and yet they still laugh, play pranks, and goof around just like every other kid. Their smiles, especially knowing their circumstances, fill you with this feeling of absolute humility, joy, and amazement. There is not a single thing I wouldn't give in this world for an opportunity to see them again. The other volunteers and things to do in the city and surrounding areas were all icing on the cake. The locals are all accepting, caring, warm, and friendly to a level I haven't seen in the United States.

Things I would let future participants know? Be prepared to have the best time of your life, love these kids, and be loved unconditionally by them. Other than the kids, bring things to trade! Shampoo, hair ties, socks, medicines, clothes, and the like are as good as currency in a number of places (namely the Mukuni Village and various markets). And most importantly, be prepared to cry when you leave; the other volunteers, those kids, and even our cab driver, Obey, became our family and saying goodbye hurt like hell.

I would just recommend that prospective volunteers be told that the multiple re-entry visa is strongly recommended due to a couple of the major activities taking place in Zimbabwe and Botswana. I would also suggest they be told to bring things to trade! That was a sentiment shared by almost all the volunteers I spoke with as well while I was there. Otherwise, it was great!

Robinah
Juba

My IVHQ journey

Before joining the IVHQ network, I was looking for a place to go to, where i would have a break from work, a place with an exciting something that i'd never forget, a place that i would discover myself and reflect on myself.And i wanted a place that was safe, where i would learn and also build on my professional experience, meet new people, create international relations, learn new cultures, leave a positive impact and have fun. That's when i searched for volunteer Abroad programs. There were quite a number of programs but something about IVHQ influenced me. Being in various countries, being affordable,giving room for exploration and mostly the reviews from alumni volunteers. and that,s when i signed up.
I was accepted to the Zambia Construction and Renovation and that's when my journey started. I had never studied construction or done in, but i accepted the challenge.
What impressed me so much about the program was the level of response and pre-depature communications with the program staff such that even before travelling, i felt i had already been to Zambia, The support provided to me by the program staff even when i had issues obtaining a visa, and the welcome and comfort i had while in Zambia.
The construction project was quite tough as it required a lot of energy for shoveling,pushing wheel barrows and mixing concrete,but with team work and the very supportive IVHQ staff in the project, i was able to learn, and i must say i am proud of my achievement. I just wish i'd have stayed longer provide more of my service.
I went for the program hoping to make an impact but it turned out the program also made a life long impact on me, a positive impact, a reflective impact.
And well, I also got to have much fun and discover a bit of Zambia..#the Victoria falls and did things i never thought i'd ever do....#the bungee jump, #the gorge swing and #the abseil since I am so afraid of heights...but every adventure gives a dare!!, Every dare is a challenge!!, and every challenge gives a lesson!!.

Sometimes the construction tools such as compressors, shovels were not enough hence volunteers had to do work in shifts and this delayed work, therefore there is need for more tools, enough for all volunteers.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Robinah, We are so glad that you chose to volunteer with IVHQ in Zambia! Our team in Zambia are superb and we are happy to hear that they were warm welcoming and very supportive. The Construction and Renovation project can be hard work so it is awesome to hear that you pushed through the challenges and were proud of what you were able to achieve on the project. Thanks for being an amazing volunteer and we would love to have you join us again in the future!
Will – IVHQ Zambia Program Manager

Inger
Voss

Valuable experience

I recently went to Livingstone in Zambia to volunteer for the first time. I choose to stay for three weeks and do the childcare program. I didn’t quite know what to expect, but I was excited to go volunteering abroad where the help was really needed. When I came there the staff was very welcoming and gave me a lot of information about the place and where I was going to work. It didn’t take me long to get to know all the other volunteers staying there, and they were really great.
I got my placement near town at Mart Alpha School, where I was the teacher for 4.grade. The children in the class were between 8 to 12 years old. I didn’t know the teaching aspect would play such a big role in my childcare work in Zambia, but it turned out great anyways. The kids were amazing and my fellow teacher was helping me out when I needed it. The kids wanted to learn more and that made my work easier. I have no experience with teaching, so all the sudden to be responsible for the learning of over 20 Zambian children was challenging, but also one of my most rewarding experiences.
IVHQ was helping me through the whole journey, from the moment I signed up till after my return back home. It was easy to navigate through all the relevant information on their website and on my online profile. They were also answering all of my questions fast and prepared me well for the trip.
I would definitely recommend volunteering in Zambia with IVHQ for first time volunteers. Zambia is a safe and peaceful African country and the Zambian people are warm and friendly. Their official language is English, and most Zambian people speak both English and one of their indigenous languages, making communication fairly easy. Because my first language isn't English and I wanted to minimize the language barrier, this was one of the reasons I choose Zambia as my destination. Another reason I choose Zambia with IVHQ was because of their affordable prize compared to other companies.
Volunteer work with children is such a valuable and eye-opening experience, and I warmly recommend doing childcare in Zambia with IVHQ! Just remember to do your research before going and leave with an open mind.

Maybe more detailed information about what kind of work you will be doing at the childcare program. I was basically a teacher for the three weeks I was there even though I didn't sign up for the teaching program, but I'm glad I got to work where the help was needed the most.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Inger, We are stoked to hear that you had a valuable and eye-opening experience in Zambia! Thanks for stepping up to the challenge of teaching a class of over 20 children - we really appreciate it. It is great to hear you recommend the Zambia program to first time volunteers and travellers; we totally agree that it is an excellent place to begin the volunteer journey. It has been a pleasure to have you on the program and we would love to have you join us again in the future.

Laura
Margate
Broward College

Life-changing Experience

I took a trip to Zambia with IVHQ for two weeks on January 1st, 2016. This was my first time volunteering and first time out of the country. I worked in a school and taught children who were or their families were affected by HIV. It was a life-changing experience for me and Zambia captured my heart and I knew I needed to go back. During the time I was back in America, my friend Sam created a school for children who could not afford to go and now it is in the process of being built. She will be moving to Zambia permanently next month to be the head of the school. Her story inspired me and I knew that I, as well as many of the other volunteers, had to return. This time when I go, I will be helping her school and also volunteering in an orphanage. I will be on the program for 8 weeks. Zambia is a beautiful country and part of me was left there. I am so excited to return this October.

I had a wonderful experience on this program. Originally I had signed up for childcare, but was placed in teaching instead. I still throughly enjoyed it but next time I go I plan to volunteer in an orphanage as well as help my friend Sam with her school.

John
United Kingdom
University of Manchester

Teaching in Zambia

My wife and I recently spent a month teaching through IVHQ in Livingstone, Zambia. Their local contact, the charity Dream Livingstone, provided safe accommodation and all the support we needed (as well as providing our placements they helped us distribute items in nearby orphanages). 'Sunbird' hosted a diverse and friendly group of volunteers - people of all ages and a variety of nationalities. Everyone took an interest in each others placements, as well as 'extra curricula' activities with local children set up by the volunteers, such as running and football (soccer) clubs. Volunteers also found the opportunity to help local children in a variety of other ways - one even setting up a school. Those of us teaching were in a wide variety of schools, all of them needing support, and we all felt that we were both making a difference and appreciated. There was a lot of scope for changing a placement if need be to find the correct one for you.
One thing that I would add relates to age. There can be a perception that much of this type of volunteering is done by those in their early twenties or even late teens. While we were there this was true but it should not put off those who are older. Everyone was there with the right motivation and one of the real bonuses was mixing, and sharing stories and inspiration, with those of all ages including those of an age you might not normally socialise with at home.
Livingstone is a friendly and laid back place - I never heard of a volunteer being nervous, never mind having any trouble. The only 'crime' we heard of was of a baboon taking someone's mobile phone from a bag at Victoria Falls. It is also an intriguing place - the old colonial capital now adapting to new times. It is authentically Zambian, the feel of it essentially untouched by all the tourist activities centred on the falls. Those activities are endless and easily arranged. It is also very well located for excursions elsewhere (be they in Botswana, Namibia or Zimbabwe).
Before we did this we imagined that, if we enjoyed it, we would volunteer again but in a different location to see somewhere new. We made so many friends and contacts, however, that we hope to return again next year. There are a lot of people (especially children) who have benefitted by what the IVHQ volunteers have done. If you are thinking of going - do!

Some of the younger volunteers found that more than they expected could be asked of them almost immediately - perhaps more advance notice of exactly what was expected would have helped them. Having said that, everyone adapted to their circumstances and enjoyed the challenge.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi John, Thanks for taking the time to share a little from your experience in Zambia. It sounds like you and the volunteers that were in country at the time ensured you were all able to have a very positive and memorable experience. Thanks for being an IVHQer and we hope to welcome you on another IVHQ program again in the future.

Kiley
Fort Wayne, Indiana

What a great experience!

In August my boyfriend and I participated in the Childcare program with IVHQ in Zambia. We originally signed up for childcare, however once we arrived they really needed more teachers, so we agreed to help out and do the teaching program! What a great decision this was. We were placed at a small school where class is held in a woman's backyard. She started up this school so she could help educate the local children who's families cannot afford to send their kids away to school. We taught in her back yard and the kids happily sat on a floor mat while we tried to teach them everything we know. We did not have a lesson plan to follow, we were only instructed to teach them anything we think they need to know. This was such a broad spectrum but left the floor really open for creative ideas. Being open to whatever comes your way is essential on a program like this!

We walked 2 miles to school and 2 miles back to the volunteer house each day. Along our walk we always felt extremely safe, and loved getting to see the friendly locals each morning greeting us. We managed after four weeks of being in Zambia to meet so many people that we passed each day to and from school. The walk became one of our favourite times of day.

At our school we were teaching children from ages 2-13. One of the most rewarding things was to see them growing. We were at this school for four weeks, and in four weeks so much can happen. Kids who could barely write when we first arrived were starting to be able to write their names. They were learning new words in english, they were learning games and songs, they were learning how to read. It was such a great experience. The school is in need of so many things, and I would say that is the hardest part. Knowing that they need so much, but you can't give them everything. You have to just do the best you can with what you have. Showing them attention and encouragement was something that goes such a long way. They had the most fun when we played games with them, or danced with them. They laughed, yelled and sang.

One awesome experience we had was when the owner of our school decided to make us lunch one day, so she showed up with a live chicken and a horse hoof. She went to so much work to prepare a meal for us to say thank you for our help. She even hand made us traditional African attire to wear at the lunch, while her and her family also dressed in their traditional wear. This is the kind of kindness the people of Zambia have to offer. Their smile and way of life is infectious!

I was expecting to teach the kids so much during this trip, but they taught me much more valuable lessons than I could have ever imagined. Zambia is peaceful place, it is very safe and very friendly. This is great place to come if it is your first time traveling away, they are such kind and welcoming people.

If I had to change one thing about this program, it would be that more of the money paid to volunteer be used for supplies for the school. They are in need of chairs that aren't broken, paper, pencils. Such basic things that could be acquired with the high price of volunteering.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Kiley, Thanks for sharing your time volunteering in Zambia with IVHQ. It sounds like you had a really meaningful and memorable experience and we are glad that we could provide this for you. Thanks for sharing a few photos and the video as well. It's great to have you as an IVHQer!

Aaron
Boston, MA
University of Michigan

It's more than just volunteering

My husband and I have been volunteering with IVHQ for the past 2 years. We will soon be completing our 5th project with them. As "boomers" we have found their staff and other volunteers incredibly supportive and engaged. Age, nationality and other differences seem to merge with the common goal of volunteering and hoping to make a difference. We love it!

Most recently, at my husband's assignment, Linda Farm in Livingstone, Zambia, he was only there a week when he decided he wanted to make a sustained impact in memory of his sister, Francine, who died of cancer earlier this year. With the help of our local coordinator, Dream Livingstone, we identified a painting project at the farm, where we could arrange to patch and paint 10 of the 12 houses for the community of 90 people. The houses had been neglected for 30+ years and our efforts were welcomed by the elders in the community we asked. This way, the new school where my husband was helping finish, would not be the only nice building for the children to come to know. A sense of pride would be instilled by all. By the time we returned to the USA, the project got off the ground and as I type, we await pictures of the refreshed community!!

We couldn't be happier, and suggest memorials, dedications and honorariums are yet another way, on top of the specific volunteer assignment that you can consider to make a difference. IVHQ has a Booster Grant program that could help fund similar efforts if a volunteer is unable to make the contribution him/herself. In our case, the local organization agreed to match our contribution as well as manage the project.

The price is right, the support is right, the locations are global. Perhaps after 5 programs, introduce a more significant discount or voucher toward your 6th program. Today, a modest discount is applied to the application fee which is appreciated. Rates are reasonable and lower than many of the other organizations we looked at. Support is awesome.

IVHQ (International Volunteer HQ) provides safe, unique, meaningful and extremely affordable volunteer programs in 35+ countries around the world, with a constantly expanding base. Programs are available in Asia, Africa, Europe, Central America, South America and the Pacific, where IVHQ works alongside local NGOs to