Most Affordable & Trusted Volunteer Programs in Zambia from $270

COVID-19 Program Updates

Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ has decided to offer flexible booking options for some of their upcoming programs. Learn more about COVID-19 updates to stay tuned regarding program information.

One of the kids from the school I taught at.
One of the kids from the school I taught at.
Some of the cute kids I was able to teach.
Some of the cute kids I was able to teach.
This is Enough
My Preschool Class Welcoming Me to Maher
My Preschool Class Welcoming Me to Maher
Post-Game water break at Football (Soccer) Club
Post-Game water break at Football (Soccer) Club

Trusted by 110,000+ volunteers, IVHQ offers the most popular volunteer programs in Zambia and 50+ other destinations around the world.

You can choose from 5 volunteer project options in Zambia and give back for periods ranging from 1 week to 16 weeks. Your Program Fee includes airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support. You’ll be accommodated in a volunteer house, with other like-minded, impact-focused travelers from around the world.

IVHQ is trusted to support the meaningful adventures of thousands of volunteers every year, so before you even depart for Zambia, you’ll receive outstanding personalized service from your expert Volunteer Program Manager and exclusive access to superior pre-departure volunteer training.

With IVHQ, you can expect to establish real connections within the local community while supporting projects that make a genuine difference.s.

• IVHQ’s Zambia program is available year-round, starting on the first and third Monday of every month
  • Highly affordable program fees starting from $270 - IVHQ provides the most affordable and top-rated programs
  • You’ll be joining between 5 and 15 other IVHQ volunteers who start in Zambia each month
  • You’ll be traveling with IVHQ, the volunteer travel experts, and joining a network of 110,000+ volunteers. Our outstanding safety systems and track record set us apart, we are the world’s safest organization
  • Your efforts will have a positive impact because our programs are community-driven with a focus on supporting long-term local needs

Book With Confidence: Added Flexibility & Free Changes

IVHQ makes it easy to change your travel plans should you need to – or if you simply change your mind. As long as you cancel or reschedule at least 15 days before your program start date this year, it's free to change your dates, volunteer program or destination.

Julia

Best time of my life!

I did Childcare in Muizenberg in South Afirca and I loved every single day of it! Going to program everyday and working with the babies was the best experience of my life. The kids don‘t have much and often it’s difficult to process everything they are going through, but to make them smile and happy is the best feeling. They don’t need much, they are just happy you are here and that you‘re spending time with them! It’s also easy to get along with other volunteers, I made some very good friends and leaving the house was hard for me! I would totally recommend it! So if you have any doubts I can only say: just do it! It‘ll be worth the experience

Expect nothing and you‘ll have the best time of your life! Also bring some cute clothes because you‘re gonna go out a lot ☺️
Mattia

Helping people is amazing

I attend the childcare programma in South Africa. It was an unbelievable experience. It was born when I was in Zanzibar for vacation last summer. I was impressed by the happiness of the children and I asked to myself how I could make them funnier. I felt at home with other volunteers. I didn’t miss nothing of my home. In few days I felt immediately part of the group. In only one week we created great conditions like we have been knowing since all our life. 10 days were not enough to know all volunteers at the best, but they were enough to be impressed by them. Everyone of them gave me something and I brought this at my home. That’s why I wanted to thank them. For every fantastic moment passed together. I will never forget them. It was an amazing experience even thanking them. I felt a lot emotions and it was unbelievable. They will be in my heart forever. I met a lot of people coming from all the world with different languages and cultures. It was fantastic to make children funnier by doing simple things like only playing and interacting with them. I felt in love with the children immediately and I was happy when they called me teacher Mattia. Very nice. I was connected with all the world and there was not difference with each other. Everyone had the same goal: to help people.
When I left, I cried because I thought about every moment I lived and how many things I learned. For example how much is beautiful making people smile. Everything was organized very well. I think that I will repeat this experience and I suggest it to everyone. Try it and don't be afraid. You will be satisfied.

Briell

Best Experience!

I volunteered in Zambia for 2 weeks in the teaching program. it was the best experience I have ever had. I wish I could have stayed longer because the people of Zambia are the kindest people. If you do a program in Zambia you will stay at the sunbird guest house, the staff there are so friendly the treat you like family! A bonus is there are many things to do in Livingstone as well. Signing up for my volunteer trip was super easy as well and they make everything user friendly and put everything in good detail.Once you sign up you will be given someone who will help through the whole process so if you ever have any questions they will answer them it was nice.

Merve

South Africa

South Africa.. Currently between 2 flights to home, already had tears multiple times. Deciding to come to South Africa was for one specific reason but not many people knew. It has been the best decision i have ever made ❤️ -

I signed up a volunteer program called Dreams to Reality less than a year with this program I was able to spread love with the kids who has seen violence;lost what they have or never experienced love and more.. Each of them has their own stories. This program brought me so much more than I expected, made me realize appreciate little things even more.. Filled my heart like it has never filled this way.. Their pure love, friendliness, without knowing me; running to me, jumping on me, hugging me.. hearing my name or calling me "teacher" multiple times over 25 kids was so magical. Also; All the people I met at this program has made my every each day during my stay. I already can't wait to be back to South Africa. ❤️

Cora Leigh

Kindergarten Project South Africa

I had an amazing experience volunteering in South Africa with my husband ! We learned so much about the culture and really enjoyed our time at the school. The children were so sweet and loving. We immediately connected with them and the other volunteers. It felt like family immediately. It was amazing to see all the volunteers from around the world coming together to provide support for this community. I would go back again in a heart beat! Learning about a new culture and experiencing opened up so much inspiration for me. I’m so happy I went they were memories for a lifetime !

Safety. Definitely knowing how to handle yourself around sick children and bringing antibacterial soup and washing hands every hour.
Read my full story
Kari

Best 4 weeks of my life

This was my first time volunteering and to say I was a little nervous is an understatement. But IVHQ was there with me every step of the way. They answered all my questions and made me feel at ease.

I volunteered in Muizenberg, South Africa for a month. I was apart of the the teaching program. It is the most rewarding thing I have done to date. The kids were a little shy at first but after a few days they opened right up. My teacher was so kind and understanding too. If there was anything I wasn't fully conformable doing all I had to do was let her know.

The local team, Dreams to Reality, took very good care of all of the volunteers. They helped us and showed up everything we needed to know and do. I felt like I was treated like family when I was there. I couldn't';t have asked for a better experience.

If I could change anything it would be to volunteer for longer then 4 weeks. The time went by so fast. All I did was blink and I was going home. I would volunteer with IVHQ again in a heartbeat.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would stay longer then 4 weeks. It went by to fast.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Kari, thanks for your review of the Zambia program. I'm glad to hear you had a rewarding and enjoyable experience. The effort you put in to the teaching project is greatly appreciated. We look forward to having you volunteer with IVHQ again soon. ^ Stacey - IVHQ Zambia Program Manager

Joseph

Zambia-Trip of a lifetime

A couple of months ago, I set off on a trip of a lifetime all thanks to IVHQ. Having only had one trip out of Europe in my life, this was a huge jump for my confidence, as well as being the undisputed highlight of my life let alone my gap year. Through IVHQ, I was able to volunteer in Zambia where I have made lifelong friends from all 4 corners of the globe. From USA, Mexico and Australia, even to the likes of Panama and Israel. The memories made with the local people of Livingstone and volunteers are ones that will stay with me for life. To wake up each day and have children depending on you as a teacher can be daunting but it's a challenge that is worth taking as the rewards are so worth it. I've had love letters aplenty from children and staff at my school, and it makes me feel truly appreciated for the effort that other volunteers and I put it. However, this is all thanks to IVHQ for their supportive and warm-welcoming staff to ensure the volunteers and school fits. Having fun whilst volunteering is also a possibility. From safaris and rhino walks to white-water-rafting and bungee jumping, there are an endless amount of opportunities for volunteers in Zambia. Perhaps you want to explore more of Zambia? This is possible on an 8 hour coach ride to Lusaka, the Zambian capital. It goes without saying that the picturesque Victoria Falls are well worth the visit, whilst countries such as Botswana and Zimbabwe are only a stones throw away. Additionally, there are plenty of ways to get involved in the community. Pub quizzes, homework clubs and soccer clubs are just three examples of how you can get involved in the wider community of Livingstone, helping both the young and the elderly. Ultimately, living and volunteering in Zambia has been the best experience I have ever had. All thanks to IVHQ, this was made entirely possible. If you're going to travel and volunteer, do it the IVHQ way.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Crocodile Pizza, caterpillar, impala, nshima just to name a few. All really healthy and enjoyable though!
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Joseph, great that you took the plunge to join us in Zambia! Your review is very in-depth and is a great resource for future volunteers. Thanks so much for sharing! ^Stacey - IVHQ Zambia Program Manager

James

IVHQ Zambia: amazing experience

Incredible organisation who really look after their volunteers and ensure that their experience is as good as can possibly be. I spent 3 weeks in Zambia teaching and to say it was the best trip of my life is an understatement. The host house, the other volunteers, the country and the kids I was teaching were all amazing and I would encourage everyone to do something like this at some stage in their life. IVHQ ensures I was fully prepared for my program with online tasks and information and took care of everything for me in terms of arranging flights, airport transfers, accommodation and meals. A fantastic organisation and although I’m only home, I’m already planning my next volunteering experience with IVHQ for next year. Even as a solo traveller, you’ll make friends and experiences that will last a lifetime!

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Definitely white water rafting one weekend. Words of advice: make sure you’re comfortable being uncomfortable in the raging water!