Most Affordable & Trusted Volunteer Programs in Zambia from $270

One of the kids from the school I taught at.
One of the kids from the school I taught at.
Some of the cute kids I was able to teach.
Some of the cute kids I was able to teach.
This is Enough
Volunteer with a few of his kids
Volunteer with a few of his kids
Giraffe at Sunset in Chobe, Botswana
Giraffe at Sunset in Chobe, Botswana

Trusted by 110,000+ volunteers, IVHQ offers the most popular volunteer programs in Zambia and 50+ other destinations around the world.

You can choose from 5 volunteer project options in Zambia and give back for periods ranging from 1 week to 16 weeks. Your Program Fee includes airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support. You’ll be accommodated in a volunteer house, with other like-minded, impact-focused travelers from around the world.

IVHQ is trusted to support the meaningful adventures of thousands of volunteers every year, so before you even depart for Zambia, you’ll receive outstanding personalized service from your expert Volunteer Program Manager and exclusive access to superior pre-departure volunteer training.

With IVHQ, you can expect to establish real connections within the local community while supporting projects that make a genuine difference.s.

• IVHQ’s Zambia program is available year-round, starting on the first and third Monday of every month
  • Highly affordable program fees starting from $270 - IVHQ provides the most affordable and top-rated programs
  • You’ll be joining between 5 and 15 other IVHQ volunteers who start in Zambia each month
  • You’ll be traveling with IVHQ, the volunteer travel experts, and joining a network of 110,000+ volunteers. Our outstanding safety systems and track record set us apart, we are the world’s safest organization
  • Your efforts will have a positive impact because our programs are community-driven with a focus on supporting long-term local needs

Mattia

Helping people is amazing

I attend the childcare programma in South Africa. It was an unbelievable experience. It was born when I was in Zanzibar for vacation last summer. I was impressed by the happiness of the children and I asked to myself how I could make them funnier. I felt at home with other volunteers. I didn’t miss nothing of my home. In few days I felt immediately part of the group. In only one week we created great conditions like we have been knowing since all our life. 10 days were not enough to know all volunteers at the best, but they were enough to be impressed by them. Everyone of them gave me something and I brought this at my home. That’s why I wanted to thank them. For every fantastic moment passed together. I will never forget them. It was an amazing experience even thanking them. I felt a lot emotions and it was unbelievable. They will be in my heart forever. I met a lot of people coming from all the world with different languages and cultures. It was fantastic to make children funnier by doing simple things like only playing and interacting with them. I felt in love with the children immediately and I was happy when they called me teacher Mattia. Very nice. I was connected with all the world and there was not difference with each other. Everyone had the same goal: to help people.
When I left, I cried because I thought about every moment I lived and how many things I learned. For example how much is beautiful making people smile. Everything was organized very well. I think that I will repeat this experience and I suggest it to everyone. Try it and don't be afraid. You will be satisfied.

Briell

Best Experience!

I volunteered in Zambia for 2 weeks in the teaching program. it was the best experience I have ever had. I wish I could have stayed longer because the people of Zambia are the kindest people. If you do a program in Zambia you will stay at the sunbird guest house, the staff there are so friendly the treat you like family! A bonus is there are many things to do in Livingstone as well. Signing up for my volunteer trip was super easy as well and they make everything user friendly and put everything in good detail.Once you sign up you will be given someone who will help through the whole process so if you ever have any questions they will answer them it was nice.

Merve

South Africa

South Africa.. Currently between 2 flights to home, already had tears multiple times. Deciding to come to South Africa was for one specific reason but not many people knew. It has been the best decision i have ever made ❤️ -

I signed up a volunteer program called Dreams to Reality less than a year with this program I was able to spread love with the kids who has seen violence;lost what they have or never experienced love and more.. Each of them has their own stories. This program brought me so much more than I expected, made me realize appreciate little things even more.. Filled my heart like it has never filled this way.. Their pure love, friendliness, without knowing me; running to me, jumping on me, hugging me.. hearing my name or calling me "teacher" multiple times over 25 kids was so magical. Also; All the people I met at this program has made my every each day during my stay. I already can't wait to be back to South Africa. ❤️

Cora Leigh

Kindergarten Project South Africa

I had an amazing experience volunteering in South Africa with my husband ! We learned so much about the culture and really enjoyed our time at the school. The children were so sweet and loving. We immediately connected with them and the other volunteers. It felt like family immediately. It was amazing to see all the volunteers from around the world coming together to provide support for this community. I would go back again in a heart beat! Learning about a new culture and experiencing opened up so much inspiration for me. I’m so happy I went they were memories for a lifetime !

Safety. Definitely knowing how to handle yourself around sick children and bringing antibacterial soup and washing hands every hour.
Read my full story
Kari

Best 4 weeks of my life

This was my first time volunteering and to say I was a little nervous is an understatement. But IVHQ was there with me every step of the way. They answered all my questions and made me feel at ease.

I volunteered in Muizenberg, South Africa for a month. I was apart of the the teaching program. It is the most rewarding thing I have done to date. The kids were a little shy at first but after a few days they opened right up. My teacher was so kind and understanding too. If there was anything I wasn't fully conformable doing all I had to do was let her know.

The local team, Dreams to Reality, took very good care of all of the volunteers. They helped us and showed up everything we needed to know and do. I felt like I was treated like family when I was there. I couldn't';t have asked for a better experience.

If I could change anything it would be to volunteer for longer then 4 weeks. The time went by so fast. All I did was blink and I was going home. I would volunteer with IVHQ again in a heartbeat.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would stay longer then 4 weeks. It went by to fast.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Kari, thanks for your review of the Zambia program. I'm glad to hear you had a rewarding and enjoyable experience. The effort you put in to the teaching project is greatly appreciated. We look forward to having you volunteer with IVHQ again soon. ^ Stacey - IVHQ Zambia Program Manager

Joseph

Zambia-Trip of a lifetime

A couple of months ago, I set off on a trip of a lifetime all thanks to IVHQ. Having only had one trip out of Europe in my life, this was a huge jump for my confidence, as well as being the undisputed highlight of my life let alone my gap year. Through IVHQ, I was able to volunteer in Zambia where I have made lifelong friends from all 4 corners of the globe. From USA, Mexico and Australia, even to the likes of Panama and Israel. The memories made with the local people of Livingstone and volunteers are ones that will stay with me for life. To wake up each day and have children depending on you as a teacher can be daunting but it's a challenge that is worth taking as the rewards are so worth it. I've had love letters aplenty from children and staff at my school, and it makes me feel truly appreciated for the effort that other volunteers and I put it. However, this is all thanks to IVHQ for their supportive and warm-welcoming staff to ensure the volunteers and school fits. Having fun whilst volunteering is also a possibility. From safaris and rhino walks to white-water-rafting and bungee jumping, there are an endless amount of opportunities for volunteers in Zambia. Perhaps you want to explore more of Zambia? This is possible on an 8 hour coach ride to Lusaka, the Zambian capital. It goes without saying that the picturesque Victoria Falls are well worth the visit, whilst countries such as Botswana and Zimbabwe are only a stones throw away. Additionally, there are plenty of ways to get involved in the community. Pub quizzes, homework clubs and soccer clubs are just three examples of how you can get involved in the wider community of Livingstone, helping both the young and the elderly. Ultimately, living and volunteering in Zambia has been the best experience I have ever had. All thanks to IVHQ, this was made entirely possible. If you're going to travel and volunteer, do it the IVHQ way.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Crocodile Pizza, caterpillar, impala, nshima just to name a few. All really healthy and enjoyable though!
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Joseph, great that you took the plunge to join us in Zambia! Your review is very in-depth and is a great resource for future volunteers. Thanks so much for sharing! ^Stacey - IVHQ Zambia Program Manager

James

IVHQ Zambia: amazing experience

Incredible organisation who really look after their volunteers and ensure that their experience is as good as can possibly be. I spent 3 weeks in Zambia teaching and to say it was the best trip of my life is an understatement. The host house, the other volunteers, the country and the kids I was teaching were all amazing and I would encourage everyone to do something like this at some stage in their life. IVHQ ensures I was fully prepared for my program with online tasks and information and took care of everything for me in terms of arranging flights, airport transfers, accommodation and meals. A fantastic organisation and although I’m only home, I’m already planning my next volunteering experience with IVHQ for next year. Even as a solo traveller, you’ll make friends and experiences that will last a lifetime!

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Definitely white water rafting one weekend. Words of advice: make sure you’re comfortable being uncomfortable in the raging water!
Natalie

Amazing time in zambia

It was an amazing time in zambia! I went for 4 weeks and ended up extending to 8 weeks. It was extremely safe and organized program. I was in a classroom that I absolutely loved, it’s a very flexible and beautiful place to travel too. Would 100% recommend this program for anyone who wants to travel to Africa, you won’t regret it! I never have had an expirience quite like this one, seeing Victoria falls in real life instead of a photograph was also so breathtaking. I definitely learned a lot during my trip and felt like I was truly helping these children at my placement which is always a good feeling. I imagine myself one day going back to zambia because I enjoyed it that much. I also went with my brother and he ended up extending to the 16 weeks!

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
When I did the devils pool activity! You get to be in the water of the Victoria falls and look over the edge was terrifying but thrilling and worth it.
Baylee

You’ll LOVE Zambia with IVHQ

I traveled solo to Zambia with IVHQ as a post grad trip before starting my career. I traveled seeking purpose and meaning, and wow did I find it. Not only was I valued as a volunteer, but these children needed me, the staff needed me, and I made incredible friends along the way. I stayed for a short 2 weeks, and taught 4-6yr old boys and girls English and basic skills. The children greeted me with such warm hugs every morning and were eager to return to class the next day. The teaching experience was great, I helped occasionally with construction as their project was nearby, and the rest of the afternoon following lunch I was free to do anything in the area that I pleased. I was immersed into Zambia culture and welcomed with open arms. Though I spent most of my time with the children, I made countless friends, saw landmarks I never imagined I’d have the opportunity to see, and truly was able to feel like a local for a short period of time. The staff is so welcoming and delightful. Go volunteer! You’ll be glad you did.

Go- and stay a while. 2 weeks was phenomenal, but not long enough. I am now caught searching for time to return. You will love it. Keep an open mind, and spend your time giving to this community! They are so grateful!
Sidney

Best trip

I spent three and a half months in Zambia and I wish I stayed longer. I loved every second there. I was on the teaching project and because of that I am now studying to earn my masters degree in education. In the mornings, I taught a Grade 6 class and in the afternoons I volunteered at an after-school program for kids of all ages. The afterschool program was my favorite part and I fell absolutely in love with the children. They are all so smart, loving, and incredibly eager to learn. On weekends, there was always something to do. From going on safari in Botswana to visiting Victoria Falls, I had experiences that I had only ever dreamed of!
I highly recommend going to Zambia! I am a young woman and went on my own and it was the best thing I've ever done. I wanted a place where I would feel comfortable as a solo traveler and Zambia will be hard to beat.

Everything ran very smoothly for me. I know that some people on other projects were not as happy but on the teaching project, I was very happy and glad I chose that one.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Sidney, it is awesome to see that our Zambia program exceeded your expectations! We would love to have you back on any of our IVHQ programs, and really hope that you do have the opportunity to volunteer with us in the future! Acacia - IVHQ Program Manager.

Mariah

Amazing experience!

Volunteering in Zambia with IVHQ was one of the best decisions of my life. I had the most amazing experience and cannot wait to return! I would highly recommend the Kindergarten program. I was able to teach children that were so eager to learn, and it was something I have honestly never experienced before. In the morning we would go to our placements and teach, and later in the day we would go to "homework club" and help with English and Math. The kids are so much fun and so loving and thankful that you are there spending time with them. I truly loved every minute of it, and my heart and soul gained more than I could have possibly imagined. I am planning on volunteering in other countries through IVHQ in the future. Thanks again for the opportunity and hospitality, IVHQ!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

We are so happy to hear you loved your time volunteering in Zambia with IVHQ! It would be great to have you volunteer with IVHQ again! Acacia - IVHQ Program Manager.

Isabella

Volunteering experience in Zambia with IVHQ

Since returning from my IVHQ experience in Zambia for 3 weeks, I'm already thinking about which program to do next. It was the most life-changing experience which allowed me to grow as a person and learn so much about myself and the world. The program exposed me to a new culture and an extremely eye-opening experience. IVHQ was outstanding in both the lead up to the program and during my time in Zambia. They made me feel supported and they were always professional and approachable. I did the teaching program in Zambia which was phenomenal. I was able to learn many new skills whilst having the most rewarding experience. I made many new friends, embraced a new culture, explored a beautiful part of the world and I made memories which will last a life-time. I highly recommend an IVHQ program as you will undoubtedly have an unbelievable experience.

I have no comment as I found the program excellent in every way.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

It is amazing to hear that you had a life-changing and eye-opening experience in Zambia. It sounds like your time on the program was incredibly meaningful and fulfilling. We would love to have you volunteer with IVHQ again! Acacia - IVHQ Program Manager.

Dafne

Zambia stole my heard

I’ve been home for a week now after 12 weeks of volunteering in Livingstone, Zambia. Many people have asked me “How was it?” And I must say, it’s nearly impossible to answer that question and to describe all the experiences and feelings this trip have offered, but I’ll make a try.

The best moments were definitely seeing the progress the students made during my time there. Volunteers in Zambia get a lot of responsibility teaching, because there are such lack of teachers. My second day I was told that grade 6 was my new class together with another volunteer and after that day we were teaching them alone everyday. At first it was a little terrifying but it also give you the chance to really connect with the children. They became my students after a while and seeing them develop and learning was the best thing I’ve ever experienced.

When we weren’t teaching we helped vulnerable children and families in the community building houses with money we raised from fundraisers. On the weekends we explored our surroundings. We saw the Victoria falls, went on safaris, tried white water rafting went on hikes.

This trip has been an eye opener for me. I’ve seen real poverty, true joy and experienced so much love. I would recommend everyone to do this trip. It makes you appreciate things more and gives you new friends from all over the world!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for sharing your awesome review Dafne - we're really happy to hear that you enjoyed your volunteer experience in Zambia. Zambia is such a beautiful destination and I'm glad you were able to experience the people and culture first hand. Thanks for being such a great volunteer.
Will - IVHQ Program Manager

Cristina

Month in Zambia

My experience in Zambia has been life changing. It has made me grow in so many levels and made me learn lots of life lessons that not even school can teach you. Neverthelesss, as Nelson Mandela said “Education is the most powerful weapon you can use to change the world”, and as a matter of fact i feel i have partly accomplished a small change by contributing to the education of zambian kids. It fills my heart to know these kids are one step nearer to reaching the life they deserve and can hopefully be rewarded someday with a job. The good thing about volunteering is we also got to know the country in depth and in a bike tour i saw how these 5 year old kids and parents worked for 10h in a quary just to earn 50 cents at most in a day. And then you realize how lucky you are now everytime you see a 50cents coin...
This trip has inspired me in infinite ways, i have grown as a person and that is something nobody can take away from me(education and life lessons). Everything i have learned will remain carved in my heart and mind.
I feel step by step we volunteers can make a bit of a change because chances are that in some years those roots will blossom into people’s oportunities to live.
I personally recommend volunteering in any kind of project to every single being on earth, as it is one of the most rewarding things you will probably do. IVHQ is contributing to change a great amount of people’s lifes and that is priceless.
Will always remember each and every smile i saw back in Zambia.
Thank you IVHQ!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Christina - It's awesome to hear how inspired you're after your volunteering experience in Zambia. The children is Zambia love learning and I'm sure they appreciated being taught by you. Thanks again for a being a great volunteer! Will - IVHQ Program Manager.

Niamh Hanbidge
Niamh

Livingstone, Zambia - The most amazing volunteering experience!

Travelling solo to Zambia was the best thing I have ever decided to do! The application process with IVHQ was so seamless and they were extremely supportive from the get-go. I felt very comfortable in my decision to travel alone, knowing that IVHQ would assist me with any issue I had. The local support team went above and beyond to help myself and the other volunteers, which is a really fantastic thing as you are in a completely new country and it can be quite a culture shock!

I volunteered with a school in an extremely poor part of Livingstone, Zambia. This really was a life-changing experience as it completely opened my eyes and I gained invaluable perspective. I was absolutely heartbroken leaving the children and family who ran the school, but my heart was so full with love for such a humbling and inspiring experience. I cannot thank IVHQ enough and I really cannot wait to volunteer with them again as soon as possible! Thank you IVHQ and Dream Livingstone!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for sharing your experience about your time in Zambia Niamh. It's awesome to hear that you had a life changing experience and we hope that you will volunteer with us again in the near future :)