Most Affordable & Trusted Volunteer Programs in Zambia from $270

Trusted by 90,000+ volunteers, IVHQ offers the most popular volunteer programs in Zambia and 40+ other destinations around the world.

You can choose from 5 volunteer project options in Zambia and give back for periods ranging from 1 week to 16 weeks. Your Program Fee includes airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support. You’ll be accommodated in a volunteer house, with other like-minded, impact-focused travelers from around the world.

IVHQ is trusted to support the meaningful adventures of thousands of volunteers every year, so before you even depart for Zambia, you’ll receive outstanding personalized service from your expert Volunteer Program Manager and exclusive access to superior pre-departure volunteer training.

With IVHQ, you can expect to establish real connections within the local community while supporting projects that make a genuine difference.s.

Current IVHQ Volunteer Programs in Zambia:

• Teaching
  • Kindergarten
  • Elderly Care
  • Medical
  • Construction and Renovation
  • IVHQ’s Zambia program is available year-round, starting on the first and third Monday of every month
  • Highly affordable program fees starting from $270 - IVHQ provides the most affordable and top-rated programs
  • You’ll be joining between 5 and 15 other IVHQ volunteers who start in Zambia each month
  • You’ll be traveling with IVHQ, the volunteer travel experts, and joining a network of 90,000+ volunteers. Our outstanding safety systems and track record set us apart, we are the world’s safest organization
  • Your efforts will have a positive impact because our programs are community-driven with a focus on supporting long-term local needs

Cristina

Month in Zambia

My experience in Zambia has been life changing. It has made me grow in so many levels and made me learn lots of life lessons that not even school can teach you. Neverthelesss, as Nelson Mandela said “Education is the most powerful weapon you can use to change the world”, and as a matter of fact i feel i have partly accomplished a small change by contributing to the education of zambian kids. It fills my heart to know these kids are one step nearer to reaching the life they deserve and can hopefully be rewarded someday with a job. The good thing about volunteering is we also got to know the country in depth and in a bike tour i saw how these 5 year old kids and parents worked for 10h in a quary just to earn 50 cents at most in a day. And then you realize how lucky you are now everytime you see a 50cents coin...
This trip has inspired me in infinite ways, i have grown as a person and that is something nobody can take away from me(education and life lessons). Everything i have learned will remain carved in my heart and mind.
I feel step by step we volunteers can make a bit of a change because chances are that in some years those roots will blossom into people’s oportunities to live.
I personally recommend volunteering in any kind of project to every single being on earth, as it is one of the most rewarding things you will probably do. IVHQ is contributing to change a great amount of people’s lifes and that is priceless.
Will always remember each and every smile i saw back in Zambia.
Thank you IVHQ!

Niamh Hanbidge
Niamh

Livingstone, Zambia - The most amazing volunteering experience!

Travelling solo to Zambia was the best thing I have ever decided to do! The application process with IVHQ was so seamless and they were extremely supportive from the get-go. I felt very comfortable in my decision to travel alone, knowing that IVHQ would assist me with any issue I had. The local support team went above and beyond to help myself and the other volunteers, which is a really fantastic thing as you are in a completely new country and it can be quite a culture shock!

I volunteered with a school in an extremely poor part of Livingstone, Zambia. This really was a life-changing experience as it completely opened my eyes and I gained invaluable perspective. I was absolutely heartbroken leaving the children and family who ran the school, but my heart was so full with love for such a humbling and inspiring experience. I cannot thank IVHQ enough and I really cannot wait to volunteer with them again as soon as possible! Thank you IVHQ and Dream Livingstone!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for sharing your experience about your time in Zambia Niamh. It's awesome to hear that you had a life changing experience and we hope that you will volunteer with us again in the near future :)

Ana

Traveling on my own- First time experience

As a first time traveler, the thought of going halfway across the world on my own was simply terrifying. I have always been passionate about helping others, and exploring new parts of the world but the opportunity never really presented itself. One day I randomly came across the IVHQ website, when I realized that my dream COULD become a reality. I started to research more about the program, and sure enough I was on my way to Africa! Embarking on this journey on my own would have never been possible if I didn’t have the support from IVHQ. IVHQ provided me with a sense of security, but also led me to a yearning to explore the world even more. I was able to work with a students of all ages and shared my love for teaching with them. I met wonderful people from across the globe that showed me the beauty of unity and culture. I never thought that I could feel so at home in a completely different country, but I know that this is only the beginning of my volunteer journey with IVHQ.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

I'm glad to hear that IVHQ were able to help you turn your dream into a reality and we hope you will volunteer with us again in the future. Thanks again for choosing IVHQ and being a great volunteer! ^William - IVHQ Zambia Program Manager

Emily

Totally worth it!

My name is Emily from Venezuela. Volunteering with IVHQ in Zambia was the ultimate experience! I always wanted to volunteer with children and this experience was everything (and even more) I was expecting. First days were a little bit frustrating because kids had to get used to have me in their classroom but when they got used to it everything was easier. Meeting and teaching them was the most heartwarming thing I have ever done. Seeing them running and smiling towards me every single morning to give me the “good morning teacher” was the most beautiful thing to see. Even tough I was the teacher I’m pretty sure those little kids teach me more valuable things because I learned a lot of lessons about happiness from them.
Without any doubt, Zambia is an incredible place with awesome people and breathtaking views. Totally worth it! This is a five stars experience and I am very glad I did it. I’m so grateful with the staff from the volunteer house for being so friendly and helpful.
Thank you IVHQ for this unforgettable experience, looking forward for my next adventure!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for sharing your experience! Zambia is a beautiful location and I'm sure the smiling faces of the children will stay with you as a memory forever. Thanks again for going above and beyond during your time in Zambia and we look forward to you joining the program again :) ^William - IVHQ Zambia Program Manager

Alyssa

Volunteer in Zambia!

I loved volunteering with IVHQ! Their prices are affordable and they have programs all over the world to choose from. I had many questions before my trip, and they were prompt to respond to my emails and provided a lot of information on the website as well. I felt very prepared when I arrived at my program. While at my program they kept in touch with me to make sure I was enjoying it. They were willing to make any changes necessary to ensure I had a good experience. After completing my project, they continued to thank me for my support and listened to my feedback. I hope that I can volunteer with IVHQ again someday!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for your awesome review - I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your entire experience with IVHQ and we would love to have you join the program again one day :) Feedback is an incredibly important tool for us as it helps us to ensure we are providing the best possible service to our volunteers. I wish you all the best and thanks for being a great IVHQ volunteer. ^Will - IVHQ Zambia Program Manager

Demeter

A place you have to visit

You simply MUST go to Zambia. The country, the landscape, the people here are something one has to see, has to experience. IVHQ volunteer program was the ideal set-up for me to be there at an acceptable cost, to meet local (and other volunteers) people, to be able to join a project helping children. While the primary goal was to help them, I could also do some touristic activities in the free-time. Local people find very important that their children go to school, so whatever you do helping this process, they are very grateful.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for sharing your review. I agree that Zambia is an incredible country with a rich culture, amazing excursions and even better people. It's great that you and your daughter were able to share this experience together and I'm sure you guys have created many lifelong memories and friendships. Thanks again for being an awesome volunteer. ^Will - IVHQ Zambia Program Manager

Stefan

Amazing experience in Livingstone.

Amazing experience in Livingstone. IVHQ provided the assurance and support that made it easy to jump in a plane and go across the world to a a place I've never been. I'm looking forward to going back to Livingstone and to make volunteering more of a regular occurrence. I would strongly recommend using IVHQ to any new or seasoned volunteers looking for experience outside the norm and or their country.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for sharing your experience. It's awesome to hear that you enjoyed your time in Livingstone and are already planning to volunteer again. Jumping out of your comfort zone and volunteering abroad should be on everybody's bucket list and I'm glad you were able to experience it with IVHQ. We look forward to joining the program in the near future :) ^Will - IVHQ Zambia Program Manager

May

Teaching in Zambia

I recently volunteered in Livingstone, Zambia with the teaching program. I didn't know I was going to feel so passionate about this place. The program and location are perfect! The coordinators and staff will go out of their way to take care of you and make you feel like you are home. I didn't have one single bad day when I was there. I loved teaching the first graders and I fell in love with them. I grew a bond with everyone in my school. Everyone had a friendly face and good aura. The volunteers were the most kind hearted open people I have ever met. I definitely built some life long friendships. It is also a very fun place to go to since they have several activities to choose from. Victoria Falls is one of the 7 natural wonders of the world and you will definitely see a lot of that ! I promise you are in for a treat ! Everyone there is super friendly. I 100% recommend it to everyone !

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for sharing your awesome review. Your story is really encouraging and I'm glad IVHQ was able to be apart of your amazing volunteering experience! I fully agree that the people in Zambia are amazing and they really do make your volunteer experience that much better. It's great to hear that the local team made you feel comfortable during your stay and I'm sure they would love you to visit again in the near future. Thanks for being an awesome volunteer. ^Will - IVHQ Zambia Program Manager

Mohamed

Great Experience

I had a great experience with IVHQ in Zambia last month . Everything was great and well organized from the first second we reached Zambia till the moment we finished with our program . The experience was extra ordinary starting from the great support done by IVHQ team via internet before travel , giving the full detailed information , passing by the great local team in zambia from drivers , cookers , accomodation workers and teachers at school . The atmosphere inside the accomodation was so great , people are gathering from every part of the world , meeting for meals 3 times a day , hanging out together , sharing their experience . The best part of the experience was the time we spent with the children at the school . Was really great experience and would repeat it again when i have the chance . Thanks to IVHQ i finally had my greatest experience in my whole life .

I dont see any gaps , program was perfect . Keep it up
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Mohamed, Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us! It's awesome to hear that you had the greatest experience of your life and we would love to have you join the program again in the near future. I will be sure to pass on your thanks to the local team in Zambia!
Will - IVHQ Zambia Program Manager

Natalia

Fulfilled dream

It has been my dream to work as volunteer with children in Africa. I was not sure to which country to go, but somehow it became Zambia and I don’t regret it. Zambia is amazing country. Very peaceful with lovely people. I was very surprised how safe it is there. Our accommodation was very nice, we had our room with my husband and big dining room where we met with other volunteers and living room with tv. There were volunteers from many different countries. All were very nice, we always had a chat about our day, children, plans for activities to do in the free time, etc. We had great orientation meeting where we learn more about the country and culture and we were showed the town and important places there. I really felt the organization took good care of us and I felt very comfortable and safe.
Me and my husband were placed in small school, which was actually private house where children were studying. The children were from age 3 to 9. They were divided for us in two groups. I had group 3 to 6 and my husband 7 to 9. As the age difference was so big, I tried to teach the children to write letters and numbers, recognize fruit and vegetable, painting, making something from clay and we were singing and playing outside. The children were so happy to see us every day. They were running to us, jumping on us and they were so happy. I really miss these moments. We were giving the children some pens, notepads and toys and they were so happy for every little thing. To see the happiness in their eyes is unforgettable. We really enjoyed the time with them and wish we could stay longer. It was very sad to leave, but hopefully we can help them with some donation in the future.
After this project, we had 4 days for some activities in Zambia and Zimbabwe. There is so much to do. Walking with lions and cheetahs was the most amazing experience. Sitting in the devil’s pool in the Victoria Falls is must do and seeing the falls from Zimbabwe side is breath taking. Even I traveled to many countries, I can say this was the best experience in my life. I’m happy I fulfilled my dream. Thank IVHQ and Dream Livingstone.

The Paradox school where we were placed really need volunteers to help with children as the age difference is so big and one teacher can't teach all of them. Also they would need real class with chairs and tables, rather than being at private house.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Natalia, Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience! It's awesome to hear that you and your husband enjoyed your time in Zambia and that you fulfilled your dream of volunteering in Africa. Zambia is such an amazing an vibrant country and I'm glad you got to experience it first hand. I could imagine the children's smiling faces will be a memory you both will cherish forever. Once again thanks for volunteering with IVHQ!
Will - IVHQ Zambia Program Manager

Zane

Beauty Through the Sadness

My time in Zambia was been so many things: beautiful, tragic, inspiring, heartbreaking, amazing... terrible and wonderful at the same time.

In the face of the most extreme poverty I have ever seen, the people are kind, gracious, welcoming, and warm. Children playing with dirt or chicken bones because they have nothing else wave from every yard, greet you with a smile, always happy just being alive. In my clinic, teenagers and people my age with advanced HIV (practically a death sentence there) would ask how my day is going, how did I like Zambia, if the local food is good.

One could be, and many of my fellow volunteers were, moved to tears at the intensity of suffering that can be seen, just to be moved to laughter and happiness by a few minutes' conversation with the people there.

I wish I had a way with words to bring these experiences home with me and to share them with anyone who will listen, but no matter how hard I try, I will fall short. All I can say is that the past month was by far the best thing I have ever done with my life, and all I can hope is that if someone reads this, they will try to help those less fortunate in whatever way they are able, and be thankful for what they have, no matter how little it may seem.

Much love, and a massive thank you to everyone whose support that made this experience possible.

Perhaps have the local team (Dream Livingstone) further assay the clinics/schools for level of need. Some days I was able to assist, but my clinic was often not busy at all, and I was more a commodity than an aid.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Zane, Thanks for sharing this heartfelt review. It really sounds like you had an eye-opening and humbling experience on our volunteer program in Zambia. Much love to you too!

Chase

Kindergarten in Zambia

I cannot even begin to describe how life-changing this trip was. My kids and those in the community were so far beyond amazing. They have next to nothing and yet they still laugh, play pranks, and goof around just like every other kid. Their smiles, especially knowing their circumstances, fill you with this feeling of absolute humility, joy, and amazement. There is not a single thing I wouldn't give in this world for an opportunity to see them again. The other volunteers and things to do in the city and surrounding areas were all icing on the cake. The locals are all accepting, caring, warm, and friendly to a level I haven't seen in the United States.

Things I would let future participants know? Be prepared to have the best time of your life, love these kids, and be loved unconditionally by them. Other than the kids, bring things to trade! Shampoo, hair ties, socks, medicines, clothes, and the like are as good as currency in a number of places (namely the Mukuni Village and various markets). And most importantly, be prepared to cry when you leave; the other volunteers, those kids, and even our cab driver, Obey, became our family and saying goodbye hurt like hell.

I would just recommend that prospective volunteers be told that the multiple re-entry visa is strongly recommended due to a couple of the major activities taking place in Zimbabwe and Botswana. I would also suggest they be told to bring things to trade! That was a sentiment shared by almost all the volunteers I spoke with as well while I was there. Otherwise, it was great!
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Chase, What an incredible review! It is heartwarming to read about the humility, joy, and amazement you felt while on the program in Zambia. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience, as well as some super practical advice for others who may be considering the IVHQ Zambia program. You have been an outstanding volunteer and we hope to have you join us again in the future.

Robinah

My IVHQ journey

Before joining the IVHQ network, I was looking for a place to go to, where i would have a break from work, a place with an exciting something that i'd never forget, a place that i would discover myself and reflect on myself.And i wanted a place that was safe, where i would learn and also build on my professional experience, meet new people, create international relations, learn new cultures, leave a positive impact and have fun. That's when i searched for volunteer Abroad programs. There were quite a number of programs but something about IVHQ influenced me. Being in various countries, being affordable,giving room for exploration and mostly the reviews from alumni volunteers. and that,s when i signed up.
I was accepted to the Zambia Construction and Renovation and that's when my journey started. I had never studied construction or done in, but i accepted the challenge.
What impressed me so much about the program was the level of response and pre-depature communications with the program staff such that even before travelling, i felt i had already been to Zambia, The support provided to me by the program staff even when i had issues obtaining a visa, and the welcome and comfort i had while in Zambia.
The construction project was quite tough as it required a lot of energy for shoveling,pushing wheel barrows and mixing concrete,but with team work and the very supportive IVHQ staff in the project, i was able to learn, and i must say i am proud of my achievement. I just wish i'd have stayed longer provide more of my service.
I went for the program hoping to make an impact but it turned out the program also made a life long impact on me, a positive impact, a reflective impact.
And well, I also got to have much fun and discover a bit of Zambia..#the Victoria falls and did things i never thought i'd ever do....#the bungee jump, #the gorge swing and #the abseil since I am so afraid of heights...but every adventure gives a dare!!, Every dare is a challenge!!, and every challenge gives a lesson!!.

Sometimes the construction tools such as compressors, shovels were not enough hence volunteers had to do work in shifts and this delayed work, therefore there is need for more tools, enough for all volunteers.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Robinah, We are so glad that you chose to volunteer with IVHQ in Zambia! Our team in Zambia are superb and we are happy to hear that they were warm welcoming and very supportive. The Construction and Renovation project can be hard work so it is awesome to hear that you pushed through the challenges and were proud of what you were able to achieve on the project. Thanks for being an amazing volunteer and we would love to have you join us again in the future!

Inger

Valuable experience

I recently went to Livingstone in Zambia to volunteer for the first time. I choose to stay for three weeks and do the childcare program. I didn’t quite know what to expect, but I was excited to go volunteering abroad where the help was really needed. When I came there the staff was very welcoming and gave me a lot of information about the place and where I was going to work. It didn’t take me long to get to know all the other volunteers staying there, and they were really great.
I got my placement near town at Mart Alpha School, where I was the teacher for 4.grade. The children in the class were between 8 to 12 years old. I didn’t know the teaching aspect would play such a big role in my childcare work in Zambia, but it turned out great anyways. The kids were amazing and my fellow teacher was helping me out when I needed it. The kids wanted to learn more and that made my work easier. I have no experience with teaching, so all the sudden to be responsible for the learning of over 20 Zambian children was challenging, but also one of my most rewarding experiences.
IVHQ was helping me through the whole journey, from the moment I signed up till after my return back home. It was easy to navigate through all the relevant information on their website and on my online profile. They were also answering all of my questions fast and prepared me well for the trip.
I would definitely recommend volunteering in Zambia with IVHQ for first time volunteers. Zambia is a safe and peaceful African country and the Zambian people are warm and friendly. Their official language is English, and most Zambian people speak both English and one of their indigenous languages, making communication fairly easy. Because my first language isn't English and I wanted to minimize the language barrier, this was one of the reasons I choose Zambia as my destination. Another reason I choose Zambia with IVHQ was because of their affordable prize compared to other companies.
Volunteer work with children is such a valuable and eye-opening experience, and I warmly recommend doing childcare in Zambia with IVHQ! Just remember to do your research before going and leave with an open mind.

Maybe more detailed information about what kind of work you will be doing at the childcare program. I was basically a teacher for the three weeks I was there even though I didn't sign up for the teaching program, but I'm glad I got to work where the help was needed the most.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Inger, We are stoked to hear that you had a valuable and eye-opening experience in Zambia! Thanks for stepping up to the challenge of teaching a class of over 20 children - we really appreciate it. It is great to hear you recommend the Zambia program to first time volunteers and travellers; we totally agree that it is an excellent place to begin the volunteer journey. It has been a pleasure to have you on the program and we would love to have you join us again in the future.

Laura

Life-changing Experience

I took a trip to Zambia with IVHQ for two weeks on January 1st, 2016. This was my first time volunteering and first time out of the country. I worked in a school and taught children who were or their families were affected by HIV. It was a life-changing experience for me and Zambia captured my heart and I knew I needed to go back. During the time I was back in America, my friend Sam created a school for children who could not afford to go and now it is in the process of being built. She will be moving to Zambia permanently next month to be the head of the school. Her story inspired me and I knew that I, as well as many of the other volunteers, had to return. This time when I go, I will be helping her school and also volunteering in an orphanage. I will be on the program for 8 weeks. Zambia is a beautiful country and part of me was left there. I am so excited to return this October.

I had a wonderful experience on this program. Originally I had signed up for childcare, but was placed in teaching instead. I still throughly enjoyed it but next time I go I plan to volunteer in an orphanage as well as help my friend Sam with her school.

About International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

IVHQ is the world’s most trusted and affordable volunteer abroad organization, offering the largest range of safe and impactful volunteer programs in 40+ destinations around the world.

Over 80,000 travelers have volunteered abroad with IVHQ over the...