Most Affordable & Trusted Volunteer Programs in Zambia from $270

One of the kids from the school I taught at.
One of the kids from the school I taught at.
Some of the cute kids I was able to teach.
Some of the cute kids I was able to teach.
This is Enough
Post-Game water break at Football (Soccer) Club
Post-Game water break at Football (Soccer) Club
Volunteer with a few of his kids
Volunteer with a few of his kids

Trusted by 90,000+ volunteers, IVHQ offers the most popular volunteer programs in Zambia and 40+ other destinations around the world.

You can choose from 5 volunteer project options in Zambia and give back for periods ranging from 1 week to 16 weeks. Your Program Fee includes airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support. You’ll be accommodated in a volunteer house, with other like-minded, impact-focused travelers from around the world.

IVHQ is trusted to support the meaningful adventures of thousands of volunteers every year, so before you even depart for Zambia, you’ll receive outstanding personalized service from your expert Volunteer Program Manager and exclusive access to superior pre-departure volunteer training.

With IVHQ, you can expect to establish real connections within the local community while supporting projects that make a genuine difference.s.

Current IVHQ Volunteer Programs in Zambia:

• Teaching
  • Kindergarten
  • Elderly Care
  • Medical
  • Construction and Renovation
  • IVHQ’s Zambia program is available year-round, starting on the first and third Monday of every month
  • Highly affordable program fees starting from $270 - IVHQ provides the most affordable and top-rated programs
  • You’ll be joining between 5 and 15 other IVHQ volunteers who start in Zambia each month
  • You’ll be traveling with IVHQ, the volunteer travel experts, and joining a network of 90,000+ volunteers. Our outstanding safety systems and track record set us apart, we are the world’s safest organization
  • Your efforts will have a positive impact because our programs are community-driven with a focus on supporting long-term local needs

Kari

Best 4 weeks of my life

This was my first time volunteering and to say I was a little nervous is an understatement. But IVHQ was there with me every step of the way. They answered all my questions and made me feel at ease.

I volunteered in Muizenberg, South Africa for a month. I was apart of the the teaching program. It is the most rewarding thing I have done to date. The kids were a little shy at first but after a few days they opened right up. My teacher was so kind and understanding too. If there was anything I wasn't fully conformable doing all I had to do was let her know.

The local team, Dreams to Reality, took very good care of all of the volunteers. They helped us and showed up everything we needed to know and do. I felt like I was treated like family when I was there. I couldn't';t have asked for a better experience.

If I could change anything it would be to volunteer for longer then 4 weeks. The time went by so fast. All I did was blink and I was going home. I would volunteer with IVHQ again in a heartbeat.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would stay longer then 4 weeks. It went by to fast.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Kari, thanks for your review of the Zambia program. I'm glad to hear you had a rewarding and enjoyable experience. The effort you put in to the teaching project is greatly appreciated. We look forward to having you volunteer with IVHQ again soon. ^ Stacey - IVHQ Zambia Program Manager

Joseph

Zambia-Trip of a lifetime

A couple of months ago, I set off on a trip of a lifetime all thanks to IVHQ. Having only had one trip out of Europe in my life, this was a huge jump for my confidence, as well as being the undisputed highlight of my life let alone my gap year. Through IVHQ, I was able to volunteer in Zambia where I have made lifelong friends from all 4 corners of the globe. From USA, Mexico and Australia, even to the likes of Panama and Israel. The memories made with the local people of Livingstone and volunteers are ones that will stay with me for life. To wake up each day and have children depending on you as a teacher can be daunting but it's a challenge that is worth taking as the rewards are so worth it. I've had love letters aplenty from children and staff at my school, and it makes me feel truly appreciated for the effort that other volunteers and I put it. However, this is all thanks to IVHQ for their supportive and warm-welcoming staff to ensure the volunteers and school fits. Having fun whilst volunteering is also a possibility. From safaris and rhino walks to white-water-rafting and bungee jumping, there are an endless amount of opportunities for volunteers in Zambia. Perhaps you want to explore more of Zambia? This is possible on an 8 hour coach ride to Lusaka, the Zambian capital. It goes without saying that the picturesque Victoria Falls are well worth the visit, whilst countries such as Botswana and Zimbabwe are only a stones throw away. Additionally, there are plenty of ways to get involved in the community. Pub quizzes, homework clubs and soccer clubs are just three examples of how you can get involved in the wider community of Livingstone, helping both the young and the elderly. Ultimately, living and volunteering in Zambia has been the best experience I have ever had. All thanks to IVHQ, this was made entirely possible. If you're going to travel and volunteer, do it the IVHQ way.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Crocodile Pizza, caterpillar, impala, nshima just to name a few. All really healthy and enjoyable though!
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Joseph, great that you took the plunge to join us in Zambia! Your review is very in-depth and is a great resource for future volunteers. Thanks so much for sharing! ^Stacey - IVHQ Zambia Program Manager

James

IVHQ Zambia: amazing experience

Incredible organisation who really look after their volunteers and ensure that their experience is as good as can possibly be. I spent 3 weeks in Zambia teaching and to say it was the best trip of my life is an understatement. The host house, the other volunteers, the country and the kids I was teaching were all amazing and I would encourage everyone to do something like this at some stage in their life. IVHQ ensures I was fully prepared for my program with online tasks and information and took care of everything for me in terms of arranging flights, airport transfers, accommodation and meals. A fantastic organisation and although I’m only home, I’m already planning my next volunteering experience with IVHQ for next year. Even as a solo traveller, you’ll make friends and experiences that will last a lifetime!

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Definitely white water rafting one weekend. Words of advice: make sure you’re comfortable being uncomfortable in the raging water!
Natalie

Amazing time in zambia

It was an amazing time in zambia! I went for 4 weeks and ended up extending to 8 weeks. It was extremely safe and organized program. I was in a classroom that I absolutely loved, it’s a very flexible and beautiful place to travel too. Would 100% recommend this program for anyone who wants to travel to Africa, you won’t regret it! I never have had an expirience quite like this one, seeing Victoria falls in real life instead of a photograph was also so breathtaking. I definitely learned a lot during my trip and felt like I was truly helping these children at my placement which is always a good feeling. I imagine myself one day going back to zambia because I enjoyed it that much. I also went with my brother and he ended up extending to the 16 weeks!

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
When I did the devils pool activity! You get to be in the water of the Victoria falls and look over the edge was terrifying but thrilling and worth it.
Baylee

You’ll LOVE Zambia with IVHQ

I traveled solo to Zambia with IVHQ as a post grad trip before starting my career. I traveled seeking purpose and meaning, and wow did I find it. Not only was I valued as a volunteer, but these children needed me, the staff needed me, and I made incredible friends along the way. I stayed for a short 2 weeks, and taught 4-6yr old boys and girls English and basic skills. The children greeted me with such warm hugs every morning and were eager to return to class the next day. The teaching experience was great, I helped occasionally with construction as their project was nearby, and the rest of the afternoon following lunch I was free to do anything in the area that I pleased. I was immersed into Zambia culture and welcomed with open arms. Though I spent most of my time with the children, I made countless friends, saw landmarks I never imagined I’d have the opportunity to see, and truly was able to feel like a local for a short period of time. The staff is so welcoming and delightful. Go volunteer! You’ll be glad you did.

Go- and stay a while. 2 weeks was phenomenal, but not long enough. I am now caught searching for time to return. You will love it. Keep an open mind, and spend your time giving to this community! They are so grateful!
Sidney

Best trip

I spent three and a half months in Zambia and I wish I stayed longer. I loved every second there. I was on the teaching project and because of that I am now studying to earn my masters degree in education. In the mornings, I taught a Grade 6 class and in the afternoons I volunteered at an after-school program for kids of all ages. The afterschool program was my favorite part and I fell absolutely in love with the children. They are all so smart, loving, and incredibly eager to learn. On weekends, there was always something to do. From going on safari in Botswana to visiting Victoria Falls, I had experiences that I had only ever dreamed of!
I highly recommend going to Zambia! I am a young woman and went on my own and it was the best thing I've ever done. I wanted a place where I would feel comfortable as a solo traveler and Zambia will be hard to beat.

Everything ran very smoothly for me. I know that some people on other projects were not as happy but on the teaching project, I was very happy and glad I chose that one.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Sidney, it is awesome to see that our Zambia program exceeded your expectations! We would love to have you back on any of our IVHQ programs, and really hope that you do have the opportunity to volunteer with us in the future! Acacia - IVHQ Program Manager.

Mariah

Amazing experience!

Volunteering in Zambia with IVHQ was one of the best decisions of my life. I had the most amazing experience and cannot wait to return! I would highly recommend the Kindergarten program. I was able to teach children that were so eager to learn, and it was something I have honestly never experienced before. In the morning we would go to our placements and teach, and later in the day we would go to "homework club" and help with English and Math. The kids are so much fun and so loving and thankful that you are there spending time with them. I truly loved every minute of it, and my heart and soul gained more than I could have possibly imagined. I am planning on volunteering in other countries through IVHQ in the future. Thanks again for the opportunity and hospitality, IVHQ!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

We are so happy to hear you loved your time volunteering in Zambia with IVHQ! It would be great to have you volunteer with IVHQ again! Acacia - IVHQ Program Manager.

Isabella

Volunteering experience in Zambia with IVHQ

Since returning from my IVHQ experience in Zambia for 3 weeks, I'm already thinking about which program to do next. It was the most life-changing experience which allowed me to grow as a person and learn so much about myself and the world. The program exposed me to a new culture and an extremely eye-opening experience. IVHQ was outstanding in both the lead up to the program and during my time in Zambia. They made me feel supported and they were always professional and approachable. I did the teaching program in Zambia which was phenomenal. I was able to learn many new skills whilst having the most rewarding experience. I made many new friends, embraced a new culture, explored a beautiful part of the world and I made memories which will last a life-time. I highly recommend an IVHQ program as you will undoubtedly have an unbelievable experience.

I have no comment as I found the program excellent in every way.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

It is amazing to hear that you had a life-changing and eye-opening experience in Zambia. It sounds like your time on the program was incredibly meaningful and fulfilling. We would love to have you volunteer with IVHQ again! Acacia - IVHQ Program Manager.

Dafne

Zambia stole my heard

I’ve been home for a week now after 12 weeks of volunteering in Livingstone, Zambia. Many people have asked me “How was it?” And I must say, it’s nearly impossible to answer that question and to describe all the experiences and feelings this trip have offered, but I’ll make a try.

The best moments were definitely seeing the progress the students made during my time there. Volunteers in Zambia get a lot of responsibility teaching, because there are such lack of teachers. My second day I was told that grade 6 was my new class together with another volunteer and after that day we were teaching them alone everyday. At first it was a little terrifying but it also give you the chance to really connect with the children. They became my students after a while and seeing them develop and learning was the best thing I’ve ever experienced.

When we weren’t teaching we helped vulnerable children and families in the community building houses with money we raised from fundraisers. On the weekends we explored our surroundings. We saw the Victoria falls, went on safaris, tried white water rafting went on hikes.

This trip has been an eye opener for me. I’ve seen real poverty, true joy and experienced so much love. I would recommend everyone to do this trip. It makes you appreciate things more and gives you new friends from all over the world!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for sharing your awesome review Dafne - we're really happy to hear that you enjoyed your volunteer experience in Zambia. Zambia is such a beautiful destination and I'm glad you were able to experience the people and culture first hand. Thanks for being such a great volunteer.
Will - IVHQ Program Manager

Cristina

Month in Zambia

My experience in Zambia has been life changing. It has made me grow in so many levels and made me learn lots of life lessons that not even school can teach you. Neverthelesss, as Nelson Mandela said “Education is the most powerful weapon you can use to change the world”, and as a matter of fact i feel i have partly accomplished a small change by contributing to the education of zambian kids. It fills my heart to know these kids are one step nearer to reaching the life they deserve and can hopefully be rewarded someday with a job. The good thing about volunteering is we also got to know the country in depth and in a bike tour i saw how these 5 year old kids and parents worked for 10h in a quary just to earn 50 cents at most in a day. And then you realize how lucky you are now everytime you see a 50cents coin...
This trip has inspired me in infinite ways, i have grown as a person and that is something nobody can take away from me(education and life lessons). Everything i have learned will remain carved in my heart and mind.
I feel step by step we volunteers can make a bit of a change because chances are that in some years those roots will blossom into people’s oportunities to live.
I personally recommend volunteering in any kind of project to every single being on earth, as it is one of the most rewarding things you will probably do. IVHQ is contributing to change a great amount of people’s lifes and that is priceless.
Will always remember each and every smile i saw back in Zambia.
Thank you IVHQ!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Christina - It's awesome to hear how inspired you're after your volunteering experience in Zambia. The children is Zambia love learning and I'm sure they appreciated being taught by you. Thanks again for a being a great volunteer! Will - IVHQ Program Manager.

Niamh Hanbidge
Niamh

Livingstone, Zambia - The most amazing volunteering experience!

Travelling solo to Zambia was the best thing I have ever decided to do! The application process with IVHQ was so seamless and they were extremely supportive from the get-go. I felt very comfortable in my decision to travel alone, knowing that IVHQ would assist me with any issue I had. The local support team went above and beyond to help myself and the other volunteers, which is a really fantastic thing as you are in a completely new country and it can be quite a culture shock!

I volunteered with a school in an extremely poor part of Livingstone, Zambia. This really was a life-changing experience as it completely opened my eyes and I gained invaluable perspective. I was absolutely heartbroken leaving the children and family who ran the school, but my heart was so full with love for such a humbling and inspiring experience. I cannot thank IVHQ enough and I really cannot wait to volunteer with them again as soon as possible! Thank you IVHQ and Dream Livingstone!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for sharing your experience about your time in Zambia Niamh. It's awesome to hear that you had a life changing experience and we hope that you will volunteer with us again in the near future :)

Ana

Traveling on my own- First time experience

As a first time traveler, the thought of going halfway across the world on my own was simply terrifying. I have always been passionate about helping others, and exploring new parts of the world but the opportunity never really presented itself. One day I randomly came across the IVHQ website, when I realized that my dream COULD become a reality. I started to research more about the program, and sure enough I was on my way to Africa! Embarking on this journey on my own would have never been possible if I didn’t have the support from IVHQ. IVHQ provided me with a sense of security, but also led me to a yearning to explore the world even more. I was able to work with a students of all ages and shared my love for teaching with them. I met wonderful people from across the globe that showed me the beauty of unity and culture. I never thought that I could feel so at home in a completely different country, but I know that this is only the beginning of my volunteer journey with IVHQ.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

I'm glad to hear that IVHQ were able to help you turn your dream into a reality and we hope you will volunteer with us again in the future. Thanks again for choosing IVHQ and being a great volunteer! ^William - IVHQ Zambia Program Manager

Emily

Totally worth it!

My name is Emily from Venezuela. Volunteering with IVHQ in Zambia was the ultimate experience! I always wanted to volunteer with children and this experience was everything (and even more) I was expecting. First days were a little bit frustrating because kids had to get used to have me in their classroom but when they got used to it everything was easier. Meeting and teaching them was the most heartwarming thing I have ever done. Seeing them running and smiling towards me every single morning to give me the “good morning teacher” was the most beautiful thing to see. Even tough I was the teacher I’m pretty sure those little kids teach me more valuable things because I learned a lot of lessons about happiness from them.
Without any doubt, Zambia is an incredible place with awesome people and breathtaking views. Totally worth it! This is a five stars experience and I am very glad I did it. I’m so grateful with the staff from the volunteer house for being so friendly and helpful.
Thank you IVHQ for this unforgettable experience, looking forward for my next adventure!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for sharing your experience! Zambia is a beautiful location and I'm sure the smiling faces of the children will stay with you as a memory forever. Thanks again for going above and beyond during your time in Zambia and we look forward to you joining the program again :) ^William - IVHQ Zambia Program Manager

Alyssa

Volunteer in Zambia!

I loved volunteering with IVHQ! Their prices are affordable and they have programs all over the world to choose from. I had many questions before my trip, and they were prompt to respond to my emails and provided a lot of information on the website as well. I felt very prepared when I arrived at my program. While at my program they kept in touch with me to make sure I was enjoying it. They were willing to make any changes necessary to ensure I had a good experience. After completing my project, they continued to thank me for my support and listened to my feedback. I hope that I can volunteer with IVHQ again someday!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for your awesome review - I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your entire experience with IVHQ and we would love to have you join the program again one day :) Feedback is an incredibly important tool for us as it helps us to ensure we are providing the best possible service to our volunteers. I wish you all the best and thanks for being a great IVHQ volunteer. ^Will - IVHQ Zambia Program Manager

Demeter

A place you have to visit

You simply MUST go to Zambia. The country, the landscape, the people here are something one has to see, has to experience. IVHQ volunteer program was the ideal set-up for me to be there at an acceptable cost, to meet local (and other volunteers) people, to be able to join a project helping children. While the primary goal was to help them, I could also do some touristic activities in the free-time. Local people find very important that their children go to school, so whatever you do helping this process, they are very grateful.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for sharing your review. I agree that Zambia is an incredible country with a rich culture, amazing excursions and even better people. It's great that you and your daughter were able to share this experience together and I'm sure you guys have created many lifelong memories and friendships. Thanks again for being an awesome volunteer. ^Will - IVHQ Zambia Program Manager

Alumni Interviews

About International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

IVHQ is the world’s most trusted and affordable volunteer abroad organization, offering the largest range of safe and impactful volunteer programs in 50+ destinations. Over 100,000 travelers have volunteered abroad with IVHQ over the past 12 years,...