• Zambia

Travel Type
Budget Family Senior Travelers Solo Women

Pricing

$270 USD
Fully hosted experience from only $270 for 1 week - this includes accommodation, meals, airport pick-up, orientation and 24/7 in-country support.
What's Included
Accommodation Some Activities Airport Transfers Meals
What's Not Included
Airfare Travel Insurance Visa
Jun 21, 2021
Feb 28, 2020

Trusted by 114,000+ volunteers, IVHQ offers the world's most popular volunteer programs in Zambia and 50+ other destinations around the world. Choose from 6 meaningful projects based in and around Livingstone - a town in southwestern Zambia, a few kilometers from the Zambezi River.

Our programs in Zambia span 1 to 16 weeks, so when you’re not giving back to the local community, you’ll have the opportunity to immerse yourself in Zambian culture and join IVHQ’s exclusive add-ons, such as exploring Victoria Falls and nearby national parks, bungee jumping, white water rafting and more.

Your fully-hosted experience includes airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support. You’ll be accommodated in a dormitory-style volunteer house with other like-minded, impact-focused travelers from around the world.

Ready to make a difference? Join our community of 114,000+ travelers who’ve spent over 7 million hours giving back.

Program Highlights

• IVHQ’s Zambia programs are available year-round, starting the first and third Monday of every month
  • Fully-hosted volunteer experience from only $270 for 1 week - IVHQ provides the most affordable and top-rated programs
  • You’ll be joining a global network of 114,000+ volunteers backed by the world’s leading team of volunteer travel experts with an outstanding safety system and track record
  • Support impact-driven volunteer projects run by locals within your host community
  • Flexible booking and free changes so you can register with confidence

Popular Programs

Childcare in Zambia with IVHQ

If you’re looking for a teaching project in Africa that goes beyond the ordinary, then the Rural Teaching project in Zambia is exactly what you’re after. This is an immersive volunteer experience where you’ll be based in a Zambian village, getting a unique insight into African life while making a real difference in the education of children.

Medical volunteering in Zambia with IVHQ

Shadow local medical professionals and gain an understanding of Zambia's healthcare system. Placements are dependent on your skillset, and could include laboratory testing, pharmacy, maternity, gynecology and family planning, optometry, HIV/AIDS, nutrition and pediatrics.

Volunteer in Zambia with IVHQ

Help local builders with hands-on work to build and improve community centers, toilet facilities and schools in poor communities where labor is often hard to find. If you are someone who enjoys being outdoors and has a good level of fitness and a willingness to learn, this is the perfect project for you.

Julia

Best time of my life!

I did Childcare in Muizenberg in South Afirca and I loved every single day of it! Going to program everyday and working with the babies was the best experience of my life. The kids don‘t have much and often it’s difficult to process everything they are going through, but to make them smile and happy is the best feeling. They don’t need much, they are just happy you are here and that you‘re spending time with them! It’s also easy to get along with other volunteers, I made some very good friends and leaving the house was hard for me! I would totally recommend it! So if you have any doubts I can only say: just do it! It‘ll be worth the experience

Expect nothing and you‘ll have the best time of your life! Also bring some cute clothes because you‘re gonna go out a lot ☺️
Mattia

Helping people is amazing

I attend the childcare programma in South Africa. It was an unbelievable experience. It was born when I was in Zanzibar for vacation last summer. I was impressed by the happiness of the children and I asked to myself how I could make them funnier. I felt at home with other volunteers. I didn’t miss nothing of my home. In few days I felt immediately part of the group. In only one week we created great conditions like we have been knowing since all our life. 10 days were not enough to know all volunteers at the best, but they were enough to be impressed by them. Everyone of them gave me something and I brought this at my home. That’s why I wanted to thank them. For every fantastic moment passed together. I will never forget them. It was an amazing experience even thanking them. I felt a lot emotions and it was unbelievable. They will be in my heart forever. I met a lot of people coming from all the world with different languages and cultures. It was fantastic to make children funnier by doing simple things like only playing and interacting with them. I felt in love with the children immediately and I was happy when they called me teacher Mattia. Very nice. I was connected with all the world and there was not difference with each other. Everyone had the same goal: to help people.
When I left, I cried because I thought about every moment I lived and how many things I learned. For example how much is beautiful making people smile. Everything was organized very well. I think that I will repeat this experience and I suggest it to everyone. Try it and don't be afraid. You will be satisfied.

Briell

Best Experience!

I volunteered in Zambia for 2 weeks in the teaching program. it was the best experience I have ever had. I wish I could have stayed longer because the people of Zambia are the kindest people. If you do a program in Zambia you will stay at the sunbird guest house, the staff there are so friendly the treat you like family! A bonus is there are many things to do in Livingstone as well. Signing up for my volunteer trip was super easy as well and they make everything user friendly and put everything in good detail.Once you sign up you will be given someone who will help through the whole process so if you ever have any questions they will answer them it was nice.

Merve

South Africa

South Africa.. Currently between 2 flights to home, already had tears multiple times. Deciding to come to South Africa was for one specific reason but not many people knew. It has been the best decision i have ever made ❤️ -

I signed up a volunteer program called Dreams to Reality less than a year with this program I was able to spread love with the kids who has seen violence;lost what they have or never experienced love and more.. Each of them has their own stories. This program brought me so much more than I expected, made me realize appreciate little things even more.. Filled my heart like it has never filled this way.. Their pure love, friendliness, without knowing me; running to me, jumping on me, hugging me.. hearing my name or calling me "teacher" multiple times over 25 kids was so magical. Also; All the people I met at this program has made my every each day during my stay. I already can't wait to be back to South Africa. ❤️

Cora Leigh

Kindergarten Project South Africa

I had an amazing experience volunteering in South Africa with my husband ! We learned so much about the culture and really enjoyed our time at the school. The children were so sweet and loving. We immediately connected with them and the other volunteers. It felt like family immediately. It was amazing to see all the volunteers from around the world coming together to provide support for this community. I would go back again in a heart beat! Learning about a new culture and experiencing opened up so much inspiration for me. I’m so happy I went they were memories for a lifetime !

Safety. Definitely knowing how to handle yourself around sick children and bringing antibacterial soup and washing hands every hour.
Read my full story
Kari

Best 4 weeks of my life

This was my first time volunteering and to say I was a little nervous is an understatement. But IVHQ was there with me every step of the way. They answered all my questions and made me feel at ease.

I volunteered in Muizenberg, South Africa for a month. I was apart of the the teaching program. It is the most rewarding thing I have done to date. The kids were a little shy at first but after a few days they opened right up. My teacher was so kind and understanding too. If there was anything I wasn't fully conformable doing all I had to do was let her know.

The local team, Dreams to Reality, took very good care of all of the volunteers. They helped us and showed up everything we needed to know and do. I felt like I was treated like family when I was there. I couldn't';t have asked for a better experience.

If I could change anything it would be to volunteer for longer then 4 weeks. The time went by so fast. All I did was blink and I was going home. I would volunteer with IVHQ again in a heartbeat.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would stay longer then 4 weeks. It went by to fast.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Kari, thanks for your review of the Zambia program. I'm glad to hear you had a rewarding and enjoyable experience. The effort you put in to the teaching project is greatly appreciated. We look forward to having you volunteer with IVHQ again soon. ^ Stacey - IVHQ Zambia Program Manager

Joseph

Zambia-Trip of a lifetime

A couple of months ago, I set off on a trip of a lifetime all thanks to IVHQ. Having only had one trip out of Europe in my life, this was a huge jump for my confidence, as well as being the undisputed highlight of my life let alone my gap year. Through IVHQ, I was able to volunteer in Zambia where I have made lifelong friends from all 4 corners of the globe. From USA, Mexico and Australia, even to the likes of Panama and Israel. The memories made with the local people of Livingstone and volunteers are ones that will stay with me for life. To wake up each day and have children depending on you as a teacher can be daunting but it's a challenge that is worth taking as the rewards are so worth it. I've had love letters aplenty from children and staff at my school, and it makes me feel truly appreciated for the effort that other volunteers and I put it. However, this is all thanks to IVHQ for their supportive and warm-welcoming staff to ensure the volunteers and school fits. Having fun whilst volunteering is also a possibility. From safaris and rhino walks to white-water-rafting and bungee jumping, there are an endless amount of opportunities for volunteers in Zambia. Perhaps you want to explore more of Zambia? This is possible on an 8 hour coach ride to Lusaka, the Zambian capital. It goes without saying that the picturesque Victoria Falls are well worth the visit, whilst countries such as Botswana and Zimbabwe are only a stones throw away. Additionally, there are plenty of ways to get involved in the community. Pub quizzes, homework clubs and soccer clubs are just three examples of how you can get involved in the wider community of Livingstone, helping both the young and the elderly. Ultimately, living and volunteering in Zambia has been the best experience I have ever had. All thanks to IVHQ, this was made entirely possible. If you're going to travel and volunteer, do it the IVHQ way.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Crocodile Pizza, caterpillar, impala, nshima just to name a few. All really healthy and enjoyable though!
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Joseph, great that you took the plunge to join us in Zambia! Your review is very in-depth and is a great resource for future volunteers. Thanks so much for sharing! ^Stacey - IVHQ Zambia Program Manager

James

IVHQ Zambia: amazing experience

Incredible organisation who really look after their volunteers and ensure that their experience is as good as can possibly be. I spent 3 weeks in Zambia teaching and to say it was the best trip of my life is an understatement. The host house, the other volunteers, the country and the kids I was teaching were all amazing and I would encourage everyone to do something like this at some stage in their life. IVHQ ensures I was fully prepared for my program with online tasks and information and took care of everything for me in terms of arranging flights, airport transfers, accommodation and meals. A fantastic organisation and although I’m only home, I’m already planning my next volunteering experience with IVHQ for next year. Even as a solo traveller, you’ll make friends and experiences that will last a lifetime!

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Definitely white water rafting one weekend. Words of advice: make sure you’re comfortable being uncomfortable in the raging water!