English Teaching and Cultural Exchange in Vietnam

We are a social enterprise organization based in Hanoi, Vietnam. Our primary focus is; community development, educational improvement, and cultural exchange.

We specialize in helping Vietnamese students of all ages improve their English language skills. We aim to provide our students with the opportunity to improve their conversational English and perfect their pronunciation. As well as, provide students with increased confidence and creativity through the English language and boost opportunities for them to find more skilled jobs. In our community, we believe that education is fundamental to sustainable development. Therefore, our aim is to create an open learning environment for all our students. At many universities in Vietnam, students learn English grammar but rarely learn correct pronunciation or are able to engage in real conversation. Once they graduate, they have difficulty finding employment in the best paying jobs.

• A great chance for you to integrate into local people’s lives and traditions (the real Vietnamese life). Discovering Vietnamese culture, traditions all whilst sampling traditional Vietnamese foods.
  • Gaining more and deeper knowledge about teaching experiences.
  • Higher self-confidence. Make a life-changing experience at students' lives by enabling them learning English.
  • A meaningful fun experience. Comfort, convenience, happiness, friendly, and family-like environment.
  • Volunteer certificate & recommendation letter.

Impact

Our mission is to build a community through the English language by providing education and bridging cultural differences and promoting international exchange. We specialize in helping Vietnamese students of all ages improve their English language skills. We aim to provide our students with the opportunity to improve their conversational English and perfect their pronunciation. As well as, provide students with increased confidence and creativity through the English language and boost opportunities for them to find more skilled jobs.
Our English teaching programs target local communities, specifically the disadvantaged, in an effort to give everyone a chance to learn English. By creating a community of international volunteers and Vietnamese locals we hope to increase the knowledge of other’s cultures and create lasting bonds. In our community, we believe that education is fundamental to sustainable development. Therefore, our aim is to create an open learning environment for all our students.

Sofia

Great time with VCV!

Volunteering with VCV was one of the best decisions I've ever made. It was so nice to spend time with local people beside classes, and the teaching experience has been a blast. I've learnt more than what I taught, I've met some of the nicest people ever, not only other volunteers, but also helpers were amazing (their food too :D).
Ms. Hay is the heart and the smile of this project, you'll feel like home from the first moment.
I highly recommend this experience to everybody, you won't for sure regret it!

Maddy

3 Months Teaching English

I taught English for 3 months at VCV and had a great time. I would recommend VCV as you will meet English and Vietnamse volunteers in the apartment and they can teach you about Vietnam. The meals are delicious and you will get to teach adults, teenagers and children so can experience teaching all ages.
Ms Hay will organize at least a couple of day trips each month, taking you to less touristic areas in and around Hanoi. The students are really great to teach and will also take you to places on their motorbikes!

It would be great to have a few vietnamese lessons because it is a very hard language to learn
Gabriela

Amazing experience teaching in Vietnam!!!

I went to Vietnam without any knowledge about the country and any teaching experience before, I'd say a little bit afraid too but since the moment I arrived to VCV I feel like home, everything was amazing, they were like family to me and the opportunity that I received to teach changed my life in so many different ways.
I was volunteering at VCV for three months and really I can say it was one of my favorites places in the world, you can experience friendship, culture, happiness for helping people, compassion and also fun. I found great friends that I'll never forget. The teaching experience is gratifying and now I miss my kids everyday!!!
Miss Hay has a very beautiful heart and I admire her work in the organization. She's a smart, compassionate, strong and funny woman. I hope our paths will crossed again one day.

If you're thinking about to go to Vietnam for volunteering, this will be the best place to stay.

PLUS: The country is soooo beautiful and the food is amazing

Kirsten

An amazing experience!

I stayed at VCV for two months and it was one of the best decisions I made in my life. Teaching at VCV is an amazing experience, whether you have teaching experience or not. You will teach both kids and adults, which makes your schedule diverse. There is a lesson plan for each class you have to teach, so you don't have to come up with your own plan, but you do have plenty of freedom in how you want to teach the class, especially with the kids. The schedule is not too heavy either, so you will have plenty of time to explore Hanoi. The Old Quarter is half an hour away by car, but you live away from the tourist area, among the locals, which is ideal. The area where VCV is located has a lot of little cafes, several supermarkets, cinemas and gyms. As you're off most weekends, you have time to explore some nearby places as well: I managed to go to Sapa, Halong Bay, Ninh Binh and Cat Ba and had some amazing times there with my fellow volunteers.
The staff at VCV is amazing: Ms Hay, Huong, George and Lam are very helpful and friendly. The food George cooks is amazing!
All in all: if you are looking for a place to volunteer in Vietnam, VCV is the place to be. You won't regret it!

Jack

Three joyous months

I stayed here for three months earlier this year, and honestly they were among the happiest of my life. My colleagues and staff were very generous, funny, open and interesting people, happy to go on wonderful trips, food tours and charity events, as well as helping me immensely with teaching and negotiating the city of Hanoi and Vietnam itself. The work is rewarding and not overly demanding, whilst the accommodation is homely and the cooking second to none. The absolute best way to see Hanoi and make some unbelievable memories.

John

Two Amazing Months at VCV

I would highly recommend teaching at VCV for anyone. It’s a great opportunity for anyone who wants experience teaching - there are both kid and adult classes included in the program, so you’ll get lots of variety as a teacher! The weekly schedule is very manageable and allows for plenty of free time, and you’ll get support from the wonderful teaching assistants if you need it. In return for teaching, you get free housing, food and a home base to meet people and travel cheaply. I loved living in the apartment with other volunteers from around the globe and the VCV team (Miss Hay, Huong, Lam and everyone else working here are wonderful), and the meals cooked by George were delicious. The apartment is in a good location in Hanoi - near cafes, gyms, a shopping mall and theater, and 20-30 minutes from the Old Quarter area. Living at VCV is also a great opportunity to live cheaply and give back to the community while travelling - it’s easy to get consecutive days off and travel to amazing places like Sapa, Cat Ba island, Halong Bay, or Ninh Binh, solo or with other volunteers. If you want an immersive experience in Vietnam and not just passing through as a tourist, it’s the place for you. I spent two months here and am so grateful for the experience.

Nothing I can think of.
Yvo

A home away from home

Having stayed in the VCV house for 3 months, I had a great time and so did all the people I have met here. Mrs. Hay really goes above and beyond to help you feel at home and with your first steps as an English teacher (if needed). Next to that we get delicious meals every day and are helped with everything else we might need during our stay. Thanks to this, my first real experience as an English teacher and my longest stay away from home has been a breeze and I made friends for life while doing it. I would totally recommend this to everyone!

I honestly don't see anything to improve the program. Mrs. Hay is putting so much effort into this program and she's doing an amazing job. I enjoyed every single minute of it.
Estella

AMAZING!

I have spent 7 weeks here at Vcv and loved it so much!! At first I was nervous as I have never taught English or taught at all before and was worried if I would be able to, however all the staff and other volunteers are so friendly and helpful! Everyone helps with lesson planning and classroom management techniques and there is always a friendly Vietnamese teaching assistant to help throughout the class!

Vcv offers many opportunities to explore Hanoi and immerse yourself within the local culture, and Hanoi has been such a great place to be based with so many sights within the city as well as many close trips to do on days off!!

Ms Hay is so kind and helpful and will do anything to make your experience great! I have been staying with about 12 volunteers since being here and are all such great fun people and I will very much miss the bia hoi trips! I would recommend Vcv to anyone travelling to Vietnam! Have enjoyed it so much and will truly miss being here! Will definitely be back again!!