Wildlife Conservation Programmes in Zimbabwe

Conservation Travel Africa offers incredible wildlife volunteer programmes in Zimbabwe. With some of the finest game viewing in Africa, you can join projects focused on the protection and conservation of endangered animals such as rhinos and elephants, monitor Big 5 game in vast wilderness areas or work in reputable animal sanctuaries. We have wildlife conservation projects perfect for gap year volunteering, career breaks, mature volunteers and families.

Zimbabwe’s tourist industry, once one of the busiest in Africa, is well on the road to recovery and Zimbabwe is a popular destination for volunteers. The lack of tourism in recent years means it is home to unspoilt wilderness areas and abundant game viewing. A lack of government funding means there is plenty of important work to be done by wildlife conservation volunteers.

Our volunteer programmes in Zimbabwe include rhino and elephant conservation, Big 5 conservation in National Parks, anti-poaching programmes and horse riding.

• Work to protect endangered species including black rhino and elephant
  • Live in the heart of Zimbabwe's most stunning wilderness areas, supporting Anti-Poaching Units in their daily challenge to protect the animals they serve
  • Join conservationists in National Parks, supporting rangers on the front line of conservation
  • Learn practical animal care skills and enrich the lives of rescued wildlife
  • Gain veterinary experience in reputable wildlife sanctuaries

Lorena

The best experience ever!

Was the most important thing I 've ever done! Being in touch with the nature 24hs a day...having the opportunity to live so close with the animals...listening to the birds every morning while I wake up...watching animal freedom....for me was the best thing I decided to do in my hole life! I will recommend everybody to do once in the life time. I will never forget all the love and family simphathy I received from the owners during the time I spend in the beautiful volunteer house. And also inviting us to celebrate Christmas with them! I will visit Imire a million times again!

Nothing.
Christina

Practicing Veterinary Skills in a fantastic environment!

My time on this project was absolutely fantastic – words cannot describe it! The people there was so kind to me, and I felt very good from day one – they were always very helpful if I needed help or had any kind of problems. I really appreciated that! I think the accommodation was very good! I had my own room with shower and toilet!

I had the chance to be a part of the veterinary work by assisting the vet at the “Wednesday Veterinary Clinic” where I had the change to assist vaccinate and help feeding dogs from the local villages. The experience of seeing how happy people were for us to take care of their dog was amazing. I also liked driving in the bush and helping people with their animals. And being a part of The 24 hour Veterinary hospital was for sure interesting! I took part in a lot of veterinary work which i preferred because i an a Vet student.

Sarah, who runs the project, was a very inspiring person! It was very easy to tell how much she loved all the animals and she gave all she possible could to make the animals lives amazing.

I will give all my very best wishes to Sarah, Vin and the rest of the amazing staff for their beautiful work. I cannot wait to get back, and I can absolutely recommend this to anybody else who has a passion for taking care of animals.

Galina

Teaching & Big 5 Conservation

Working at the school was great, particularly dishing out porridge and painting the mural. Watching the schoolchildren dancing was a highlight - their sense of rhythm and enjoyment are infectious!

The daily game drives were always a source of great excitement and walking through the bush was always a real thrill.

This was an absolutely life-changing experience for our children, thank you for giving them the opportunity to experience this programme!

It would be great to have a welcome pack with a basic map of the area and tips for coping in the environment (e.g. wear shoes, keep hydrated etc).
Cathy

amazing family experience

My family and I spent 2 weeks on this project in August and had a really amazing experience. We were made to feel part of the community from the very start - with neighbours turning up at the door with homemade cakes and papayas from their garden and sharing delicious teas in the bush. We spent the mornings teaching in the local school which was very rewarding. The local children were great fun and eager to learn, in some classes we had to be quite inventive in overcoming language barriers but this added to the fun. Our children (13 & 14) played lots of sport with them which was very popular!
The afternoons were mainly spent helping on the conservancy. We learnt a range of skills - the african way - from fixing water pipes, spotting poachers snares, monitoring african dogs hole to tracking rhinos on foot. We saw all the big 5 and much, much more besides. The whole time we were looked after by an amazing local guide and we learnt so much. The conservancy is in the middle of the african bush and very, very beautiful. We will definitely be back!

A little more structure on the conservancy side. We had a ball but we would have liked to feel we had been a bit more useful! As we were the first on the program, I am sure this will be fine tuned. This project has the potential to be truely brilliant!

About Conservation Travel Africa

Conservation Travel Africa was established to use volunteer travel to bridge the gap between conservation areas and community development. We provide meaningful and responsible volunteer programmes, focusing on wildlife conservation and education....