Most Affordable & Trusted Volunteer Programs in Victoria Falls from $1000

Adorable kids
Adorable kids
Camping on the grassland
Camping on the grassland

Trusted by 110,000+ volunteers, IVHQ offers the most popular volunteer programs in Victoria Falls and 50+ other destinations around the world.

You can participate in the Wildlife Conservation project in Victoria Falls and give back for periods ranging from 2 weeks to 12 weeks. Your Program Fee includes airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support. You’ll be accommodated in a volunteer house, with other like-minded, impact-focused travelers from around the world.

IVHQ is trusted to support the meaningful adventures of thousands of volunteers every year, so before you even depart for Victoria Falls, you’ll receive outstanding personalized service from your expert Volunteer Program Manager and exclusive access to superior pre-departure volunteer training.

With IVHQ, you can expect to establish real connections within the local community while supporting projects that make a genuine difference.

• IVHQ’s Victoria Falls program is available year-round, starting on the first and third Monday of every month
  • Highly affordable program fees starting from $880 for 2 weeks - IVHQ provides the most affordable and top-rated programs
  • You’ll be joining between 5 and 15 other IVHQ volunteers who start in Victoria Falls each month
  • You’ll be traveling with IVHQ, the volunteer travel experts, and joining a network of 110,000+ volunteers. Our outstanding safety systems and track record set us apart, we are the world’s safest organization
  • Your efforts will have a positive impact because our programs are community-driven with a focus on supporting long-term local needs

Popular Programs

Wildlife Conservation

Located within a private game reserve, playing home to the African 'Big 5' (lion, leopard, elephant, rhino and buffalo), IVHQ volunteers in Victoria Falls have the opportunity to get involved in conservation management practices, all of which are vital for the successful operation of the game reserve and the ecosystems of surrounding areas.

Volunteers must be 18 years or older to participate on an IVHQ program alone. However, if they are volunteering as part of a group with adult minders, or with a parent, guardian or family member who is 18 years or over, they are eligible to participate. When a volunteer under the age of 18 applies to volunteer with IVHQ, it is important that the name of their minder is noted on their application...

Jacob

My experience with IVHQ

I used IVHQ when I was searching for opportunities to volunteer abroad this past year. For starters, IVHQ offers more destinations and projects than any other organization I could find. Their website is very comprehensive and provides all the information you need to decide where you want to volunteer. There are also various Facebook groups for individual projects where you can discuss with people who have been on the project before or who are planning for the future. IVHQ is also great with communication. They assign different people to organize each project, so you can be confident that the person you are contacting is both very knowledgable about the destination and committed to helping you. For example, I was supposed to travel to Sri Lanka last year about a week after the horrible terrorist attacks occurred. I expressed to them my discomfort in traveling there at that time and within a day they were able to switch me to a different project that I had requested in Victoria Falls.

I really enjoyed my time at the Nakavango Conservation Program in Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe. The staff is incredibly knowledgable and helpful. I am an avid wildlife photographer, and I was blown away by the opportunities I had to photograph the ample wildlife in Victoria Falls. The accommodation was far beyond what I expected. Each volunteer had their own room with a fan, closet, desk, side table, and bed. Bathrooms were shared between three or four other volunteers of the same gender. The common areas were a great place for the volunteers to hang out, relax, and enjoy the area (There is also a pool to cool off in!) The food was delicious and plentiful, and the chef emphasized that dietary restrictions could be accommodated. On weekdays, we would wake up early to go out on the reserve to repair roads, remove invasive plant species, and survey wildlife, among other tasks. A lot of the work would be difficult or impossible for somebody in poor physical condition, but most able-bodied people should be perfectly fine. We were given weekends to spend however we liked. There were so many options for the weekends, I wish I had more time to fit them all in. One of my favorite weekend excursions was bungee jumping over Vic Falls!

Overall, my volunteering experience was incredible. The time I spent there and the experiences I had are something I will never forget. I would highly recommend both IVHQ and the Nakavango Conservation Project to anybody considering volunteering abroad.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
I had a wrap with crocodile in it at a restaurant down town! It was delicious!
Nicholas

IVHQ Victoria Falls

I was in Vic Falls through IVHQ for 4 weeks and it was the best 4 weeks of my life, hands down. I don't often write reviews but this experience was just unbelievable. Within moments of being welcomed to the Nakavango Conservation Programme (NCP), I immediately felt like I was where I was supposed to be. I’ve had a passion for wildlife from a young age and to finally be able to share the incredible experiences I’ve had so far is nothing short of a privilege. I was, in all honesty, apprehensive about visiting Zimbabwe. With news channels on the build-up to my visit reporting the worst drought in decades, elephant and giraffe dropping where they stand, the falls practically coming to a halt. Was I going to see anything out here at all?... Day 1 – I was greeted at the door to the reserve along with 7 other newbies by one of our two main guides, Hope. Hope gave us a brief introduction and shows us around the accommodation; comfy beds, desk, bedside table, plenty of hanging space, big ceiling fan and a lockable door, but it was when he lead us out to the dining area which overlooks a stunning section of the park, I see two giant Cape Buffalo calmly strolling past as the sun was setting (one of the big 5 down already!). Seconds later, Zebra. Moments after that, a friendly hornbill comes and sits right in front of me, I could hardly take in what Hope was telling me, all my apprehensions were put to rest, and I completely fell in love with this place. This is my first time doing any voluntourism, first time doing a safari-like conservation programme, and it’s certainly the first time I’ve seen animals of this magnitude looking so healthy and content in the wild, and all on the doorstep!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Crocodile, Kudu, Eland, Warthog, Ostrich....the list is endless
Nathan

Victoria Falls Program

The Victoria Falls program was my first time volunteering abroad. IVHQ did a great job of providing me with a checklist to help me prepare for my time in Victoria Falls. The accommodations and food were amazing at Victoria Falls were amazing you are provided with your own private room and food was available 24/7. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The orientation at the beginning of the program helped to explain how we were making an impact. Each day is structured with different jobs these jobs include going on game drives where you will observe the animals on the reserve, you will also help clear roads and invasive plants such as lantana with picks, axes and hoes. We also helped water trees at a local school and helped composting. On the weekends Victoria Falls offers many activities such as bungee jumping, gorge swing, white water rafting, crocodile diving, and dinner cruises. I had a great two weeks in Victoria Falls and would highly recommend this program to someone who is looking to learn about the animals of Victoria Falls and have fun exploring all the activities on the weekends.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Nathan, thanks for your review of our Victoria Falls program. I'm glad to hear that the support level we provide our volunteers with exceeded your expectations. It sounds like you had a great experience and took part in many varied activities on your project. We look forward to having you volunteer with IVHQ again soon! ^ Claire - IVHQ Victoria Falls Program Manager

Jonathan

The best decision of my life

It was one of the best decisions of my life choosing to go to Victoria Falls and volunteer at NCP. The people there are some of the most positive and genuine people that you will ever meet and the culture is next to nothing else in this world. I have learned so much about conservations and the different ways of thinking about conservation. different ideas which some people may not have thought of before. Being able to absorb all the knowledge that our local team was giving us is a joy I will never forget and that will stay with me forever.

The local team ensures that your stay here is one of the best you will ever have on a volunteering program and they take pride in making sure that everyone can be catered for in the best way they possibly can. So if you are a vegan, vegetarian or just a straight-up carnivore the local team at NCP are able to make your life a living heaven.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
I was able to see a leopard which in turn allowed me to see the big five. It has been a dream of mine to see the big five in one trip for a very long time and I was finally able to do it.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Jonathan, thanks for taking the time to submit your review! It sounds like you had an amazing time. We always do our best to cater to dietary requirements and I'm glad to hear that you were happy with your meals. ^Claire - IVHQ Program Manager

Freya

I loved every minute!

For me, IVHQ has been perfect! I went to Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe, and worked on a wildlife conservation project for two weeks. This sounds really cliche but it was probably the best experience of my whole life and I will definitely be going back!! I would highly recommend the Nakavango Conservation Program to anyone, there is a perfect balance of work, free time, and just seeing the amazing wildlife in the reserve. We also got the see the Victoria Falls, which is very nearby to the project. There are loads of fun activities to do at weekends, from extreme stuff like bungy jumping off the falls, to relaxing things like a river cruise. The accommodation was perfect, our clothes were washed for us once a week, everyone has their own room, and there is plenty of space to relax and socialise. Most of all, the staff there are absolutely wonderful, all of them work so hard to make sure every volunteer leaves with an experience they'll never forget. They are also so friendly and helpful and knowledgeable about the reserve and the local area. Also, one of the best things about the project was the real difference it makes. Whilst volunteering, its easy to see how much has been done by volunteers in the past, and the progress I saw even in just two weeks was huge. We finished making a whole new road, we dug a trench big enough for a water pipe to water fruit trees at the local school, and we cleared large areas of an invasive plant. Finally, the other best thing about it was the wonderful people I met. By the end of my two weeks, I had 17 new friends, from all over the world, and three of us are already planning to go back in a couple of years (or sooner)!! Like I said, I can't recommend this programme enough, if you want to see an absolutely stunning part of Africa, make a valuable difference to the environment and local community, and meet friends for life, I say give it a go!

Bring warm clothes as well as cool clothes, particularly if you go in the winter. Bring binoculars, work gloves, a camera, and good boots. Appreciate every animal you see, from elephants to tiny birds. Talk to all the other volunteers, you'll findout a lot about other countries and cultures. The high-adrenaline weekend activities are amazing, but don't rule out the calmer ones because they're very good value for money. Learn from the guides, they're so knowledgeable. Enjoy every moment and take lots of pictures!
Emery

My time in Victoria Falls was more than amazing!

My time in Victoria Falls was amazing!
The staff on site were so friendly and became like family. Getting hope to sing, learning more than I ever thought possible about elephants from Ian or dogging Deans digs. Every day was filled with so much more laughter than I ever have at home.
We worked hard whenever we were out on site but had lots of fun going on game drives and watching the animals mate, eat or stare back at us. Besides the fun we had during our scheduled days it was so much fun hanging around the accommodation getting to know the other volunteers and the staff. Davidson is the best cook in all of Zimbabwe! The trips (discounted through Nakavango) on the weekend to Chobe or to do the gorge swing were a highlight, getting to meet othet travelers. Hanging out in town was amazing getting to see the culture and get to know the locals. I learned so much about Zimbabwe and all of the animals, everyone is so knowledgeable and kind. Nakavango became my second home.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
It was an experience during my trip. I did the gorge swing, basically jumping off a cliff for 75 meters and then swinging at the bottom. I was amazing and a great experience but I am deathly terrified of heights and I never would have done it if I was peer pressured into it by other volunteers.
Loren

IVHQ Nakavango Conservation Program

This experience allowed me to have a positive impact on both the local community and the environment, while having the time of my life and gaining a new perspective. I was unsure exactly what to expect when I first arrived, but I was quickly thrown into a routine of early morning game drives, road work, foreign plant species removal, and building a garden for the local school. On top of that we were able to enjoy bonfires, weekly camping nights, and a variety of adrenaline rushing weekend activities. The private room accommodations were clean and comfortable, and the meals prepared by the on site chefs were out of this world. Between the local staff that makes you feel like family, and the wonderful people who come from all over the world to volunteer, you are sure to form friendships and memories that will last a lifetime.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
How happy the local people were despite having so little.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for taking the time to complete your review Loren! It is great to hear that you enjoyed your time on the program, while helping make a difference for the betterment of others. I always enjoy hearing how volunteers have made friends that will last a lifetime, bonding over the work and free time activities you got to experience together. All the hard work was appreacited by the local team, as well as the wider community you worked in, and we would love to have you volunteer with IVHQ again in the future. Claire - IVHQ Program Manager

Sara

Nakavango Conservation Program, Victoria Falls

I spent a total of 3 weeks at the Nakavango Conservation Program in Victoria Falls. After 3 weeks I was still not ready to leave. The experience of seeing the wildlife everyday and doing work that felt like I was actually contributing was so rewarding. The guides were so knowledgeable and any question I had they were ready with an answer. What made leaving the hardest however was saying goodbye to the staff and volunteers I met while I was there. The staff greet you with a smile and a hello each day and make you feel like you belong to this great big family. The other volunteers I spent my time with had like minded views and made me feel I was with a group of people I will stay friends with in years to come. I hope to someday be back to Nakavango, so I can see the progress on the reserve, but especially so I can reunite with the people I met there. I highly recommend this program to anyone. This was my first major trip as a solo traveler, but I can tell you that once you land all of those anxious feelings disappear immediately.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for taking the time to submit your reviews Sara! It is great to hear how much you enjoyed your time on the program, working with the local team and the other volunteers you met, all while giving back to help with the upkeep of the reserve for the amazing animals that call it home. It is an amazing location and we would love to have you return to take part again anytime! Claire - IVHQ Program Manager.

Cecilia

IVHQ: Victoria Falls Conservation Program, Zimbabwe

I had the pleasure of volunteering at the Nakavango Program in Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe (through IVHQ). I've done a fair amount of traveling in my life but this was my first time going to Africa. I didn't feel nervous at all about going (alone) and I give credit to IVHQ. They provided all the necessary tools to help prepare me on my trip.

The Nakavango Program is like this hidden gem nestled in Victoria Falls. I wish more people knew about it because the work they do is incredible, and since I've gotten back, I've been sharing my experience not only to my friends and family, but also to strangers!

I loved everything about the program-- the camp outs, the game drives, the sundowners, the conversations with the guides and property manager. And I enjoyed not only the 'fun stuff' but the hard work that we did, as well: the weed removals, the digging of trenches, the maintaining of roads, the turning of the compost, etc.
Best of all, though, was the people that I met-- the volunteers who came from all over the world, each with their own unique story to tell, and also the guides and property manger who showed such passion in what they do, it was nothing short of admirable.

I found this program to be PERFECT!
Although-- some might argue that there was too much downtime throughout the day... However, I find people who felt that way, were those who didn't take advantage of what they could have done, if only they had just taken the initiative. There is a nearby town that you could visit, you can talk to the property manager (who made himself available every day) and talk endlessly about wildlife (and other topics), you can also socialize with the staff and learn about their culture and lives which, I'm sure, is bound to be much more different than yours.
Maureen

A Walk on the Wild Side

Nakavango was one of the most incredible times that I have spent abroad. The work that we did was meaningful and each day well planned/thought out. The staff were very kind and thoughtful. Our guides were extremely knowledgeable about everything!! Each drive out of the gate to our work was a game drive/safari in its own right. Camping under the stars in the African bush, following the trail of an elephant on a bush walk, helping students at a local school in their garden - couldn't have asked for more!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for taking the time to write your review Maureen! Nothing beats those morning drives. Claire - IVHQ Program Manager.

Mieke

Incredible, valuable experience

This program was everything + MORE of what I was hoping it would be. I have never travelled solo due to anxiety and although I had a panic attack on my way TO the airport heading there- I haven't come close to having one since :) I felt so welcome and strangely at home during my stay at Nakavango, Victoria Falls. Hands down the best thing I ever pushed myself to do. Well worth every dollar and moment of life spent :)

Truly no obvious ways of improvement that come to mind. Incredible staff, food, accommodation, support, activities, and perfect balance between hard yet satisfactory work and leisure :)
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Alexandria. Thanks for such a wonderful review! It's so great to hear that you had an extraordinary experience in Victoria Falls. We really appreciate your contribution to the conservation efforts in Zimbabwe and hope you'll be back soon to volunteer with IVHQ again. ^Claire - IVHQ Victoria Falls Program Manager

Alexandria

IVHQ Victoria Falls

Volunteering with IVHQ in Victoria Falls was the best decision I have ever made. I cannot even begin to explain how extraordinary of an experience it was and the incredible people I met along the way. I participated in the Wildlife Conservation project (the only project offered in Victoria Falls), and I learned more about the native plants and animals than I ever imagined I would. The vast knowledge of the staff is truly incredible and they do an extraordinary job of making it feel like home. It is definitely worth every penny, I would highly recommend this program to anyone.

Alexandria

Blake

Best Adventure Yet!

I spent 2 weeks at Nakavango (via IVHQ) and It’s never been so difficult to leave a place. I travel all the time but this was my first solo trip, first time to Africa, and first time doing a volunteer trip like this. I am naturally very reserved and to myself therefore I was nervous going in but was relieved by how easy it was to connect with everyone. The experience was fantastically overwhelming and life changing. The staff, the locals, the animals, the culture, the food, the landscape, the accommodation...all will “wow” you. I walked away with so much more knowledge and insight than I was expecting. This experience has created a new, addictive source of adventure. I loved the opportunity to go beyond the normal sightseeing travel and add the aspect of giving back and expand my cultural awareness along the way. I would recommend this program to anyone and everyone. Don’t overthink, worry, or procrastinate like I did...JUST GO!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Blake, thanks for sharing your feedback with us - I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed your time on the program! We wish you all the best and hope to have you join us again soon! ^Claire - IVHQ Victoria Falls Program Manager

Julianne

IVHQ for affordable and meaningful volunteering

By far the best volunteer program out there

I LOVED using IVHQ to volunteer in Zimbabwe. It was easy to navigate the website and find which program you wanted to take part in, and the company gives you all the information you need before you go! I felt safe and excited to take my trip knowing that I was doing it with IVHQ. The hardest part about going to another country is knowing what to expect, and IVHQ made sure that you knew before you went. I cannot wait to book through IVHQ again.

The only way this program could be improved is having a lower registration fee.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for your review, Julianne! It is great to hear that you enjoyed your IVHQ experience and felt supported from beginning to end. We look forward to having you join another program in the future. ^Claire - IVHQ Victoria Falls Program Manager