Most Affordable & Trusted Volunteer Programs in Victoria Falls from $880

Trusted by 90,000+ volunteers, IVHQ offers the most popular volunteer programs in Victoria Falls and 40+ other destinations around the world.

You can participate in the Wildlife Conservation project in Victoria Falls and give back for periods ranging from 2 weeks to 12 weeks. Your Program Fee includes airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support. You’ll be accommodated in a volunteer house, with other like-minded, impact-focused travelers from around the world.

IVHQ is trusted to support the meaningful adventures of thousands of volunteers every year, so before you even depart for Victoria Falls, you’ll receive outstanding personalized service from your expert Volunteer Program Manager and exclusive access to superior pre-departure volunteer training.

With IVHQ, you can expect to establish real connections within the local community while supporting projects that make a genuine difference.

IVHQ Volunteer Program available in Victoria Falls:

• Wildlife Conservation: Located within a private game reserve, playing home to the African 'Big 5' (lion, leopard, elephant, rhino and buffalo), IVHQ volunteers in Victoria Falls have the opportunity to get involved in conservation management practices, all of which are vital for the successful operation of the game reserve and the ecosystems of surrounding areas.
  • IVHQ’s Victoria Falls program is available year-round, starting on the first and third Monday of every month
  • Highly affordable program fees starting from $880 for 2 weeks - IVHQ provides the most affordable and top-rated programs
  • You’ll be joining between 5 and 15 other IVHQ volunteers who start in Victoria Falls each month
  • You’ll be traveling with IVHQ, the volunteer travel experts, and joining a network of 90,000+ volunteers. Our outstanding safety systems and track record set us apart, we are the world’s safest organization
  • Your efforts will have a positive impact because our programs are community-driven with a focus on supporting long-term local needs

Volunteers must be 18 years or older to participate on an IVHQ program alone. However, if they are volunteering as part of a group with adult minders, or with a parent, guardian or family member who is 18 years or over, they are eligible to participate. When a volunteer under the age of 18 applies to volunteer with IVHQ, it is important that the name of their minder is noted on their application,...

Maureen

A Walk on the Wild Side

Nakavango was one of the most incredible times that I have spent abroad. The work that we did was meaningful and each day well planned/thought out. The staff were very kind and thoughtful. Our guides were extremely knowledgeable about everything!! Each drive out of the gate to our work was a game drive/safari in its own right. Camping under the stars in the African bush, following the trail of an elephant on a bush walk, helping students at a local school in their garden - couldn't have asked for more!

Mieke

Incredible, valuable experience

This program was everything + MORE of what I was hoping it would be. I have never travelled solo due to anxiety and although I had a panic attack on my way TO the airport heading there- I haven't come close to having one since :) I felt so welcome and strangely at home during my stay at Nakavango, Victoria Falls. Hands down the best thing I ever pushed myself to do. Well worth every dollar and moment of life spent :)

Truly no obvious ways of improvement that come to mind. Incredible staff, food, accommodation, support, activities, and perfect balance between hard yet satisfactory work and leisure :)
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Alexandria. Thanks for such a wonderful review! It's so great to hear that you had an extraordinary experience in Victoria Falls. We really appreciate your contribution to the conservation efforts in Zimbabwe and hope you'll be back soon to volunteer with IVHQ again. ^Claire - IVHQ Victoria Falls Program Manager

Alexandria

IVHQ Victoria Falls

Volunteering with IVHQ in Victoria Falls was the best decision I have ever made. I cannot even begin to explain how extraordinary of an experience it was and the incredible people I met along the way. I participated in the Wildlife Conservation project (the only project offered in Victoria Falls), and I learned more about the native plants and animals than I ever imagined I would. The vast knowledge of the staff is truly incredible and they do an extraordinary job of making it feel like home. It is definitely worth every penny, I would highly recommend this program to anyone.

Alexandria

Blake

Best Adventure Yet!

I spent 2 weeks at Nakavango (via IVHQ) and It’s never been so difficult to leave a place. I travel all the time but this was my first solo trip, first time to Africa, and first time doing a volunteer trip like this. I am naturally very reserved and to myself therefore I was nervous going in but was relieved by how easy it was to connect with everyone. The experience was fantastically overwhelming and life changing. The staff, the locals, the animals, the culture, the food, the landscape, the accommodation...all will “wow” you. I walked away with so much more knowledge and insight than I was expecting. This experience has created a new, addictive source of adventure. I loved the opportunity to go beyond the normal sightseeing travel and add the aspect of giving back and expand my cultural awareness along the way. I would recommend this program to anyone and everyone. Don’t overthink, worry, or procrastinate like I did...JUST GO!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Blake, thanks for sharing your feedback with us - I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed your time on the program! We wish you all the best and hope to have you join us again soon! ^Claire - IVHQ Victoria Falls Program Manager

Julianne

IVHQ for affordable and meaningful volunteering

By far the best volunteer program out there

I LOVED using IVHQ to volunteer in Zimbabwe. It was easy to navigate the website and find which program you wanted to take part in, and the company gives you all the information you need before you go! I felt safe and excited to take my trip knowing that I was doing it with IVHQ. The hardest part about going to another country is knowing what to expect, and IVHQ made sure that you knew before you went. I cannot wait to book through IVHQ again.

The only way this program could be improved is having a lower registration fee.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for your review, Julianne! It is great to hear that you enjoyed your IVHQ experience and felt supported from beginning to end. We look forward to having you join another program in the future. ^Claire - IVHQ Victoria Falls Program Manager

Linda

Victoria Falls

I spent 4 weeks at IVHQ Victoria Falls. The accommodations were beyond expectations and the food was fabulous. The staff was knowledgeable and helpful. It was a safe and caring environment. We worked hard, played more than I thought and learned something new every day. We learned about the culture, conservation and animal care. At 73, I was everyone’s grandmother but was treated as an equal always. The younger people are amazing. If you are healthy and able-bodied age does not matter. Bring a strong flashlight, gloves and wear sturdy shoes.

It was wonderful
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Linda, It is great to hear that you enjoyed your time on the program and continued your tradition of taking part on rewarding volunteer work, while experiencing another country and being welcomed as a friend. Thanks again for the contribution and time you gave to the program. ^Claire - IVHQ Victoria Falls Program Manager

Scott

A little bit of paradise

This was my second trip to Victoria Falls in the past 6-7 months and once again it was one of the best experiences of my life. From the moment you arrive at Nakavango it really feels like you come home for 4 weeks. Everyone is just so welcoming and friendly and soon you create new friendships that will last a lifetime (the only difficult part is having to say goodbye!!). If you come with an open mind, some enthusiasm and a willingness to learn then you will definitely get the most out of your experience. Everyday is a chance to learn from going out game drives to helping out at a local school to even removing lantana – you don’t realise how much you grow as a person until you step out of your comfort zone and try something completely new.
Come with an open mind and get stuck in and you will not regret your decision.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for your review Scott! It is great that you enjoyed your first visit so much you decide to return and double the contribution you are making to help with conservation on the reserve. Third times a charm and both IVHQ and the local team at Nakavango would like to express our thanks for your hard work, and we would love to have you back anytime. ^Claire - IVHQ Victoria Falls Program Manager

Rafael

Change

This was an Incredible experience, well organized with diferent range of activities to do that have a positive impact in the comuniity you are working in. Go with an open mind, energy, and a positive attitude and it will be an extremely rewarding and enriching experience. You will change in a positive way

The program guide IVHQ provides answers almost all of the questions you have about the program, if you need anything else, they have amazing support via Email or im their Facebook group, where you can ask hundreds of volunteers (including myself) about the program

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for taking the time to submit your review Rafael! It is great to hear that you enjoyed getting involved in the different activities while learning about wildlife conservation, and thoroughly enjoyed your time on the program. It is always awesome to hear that the network of alumni, on Facebook were of value to you, and look forward to what advise you will be able to offer future volunteers. ^Claire - IVHQ Victoria Falls Program Manager

Laura

Live in Paradise!

The Nakavango Conservation Programme in Zimbabwe is a beautiful piece of paradise. And there's not better way to experience it than to live and work on site for a few weeks! Where else would you find yourself camping under the stars surrounded by Africa's Big 5?!

This programme is for you if:

1) You want to experience the African wilderness
You'll get to take game drives through the reserve (almost) every day, and are sure to see to a variety of African wildlife such as buffalo, elephants, giraffe, black rhino, and kudu (and *maybe* a lion or leopard if you're lucky). You'll also get to spend one night a week camping on the reserve, and nothing says 'wilderness' like cooking over a fire and sleeping under the stars (or peeing in the bush!)
Notice, I said *wildlife*! Nakavango is not a zoo. You are never guaranteed to see an animal, and you will not pet them. This is an authentic wilderness experience.

2) You enjoy a work/life balance
You can expect to put in some sweat equity wielding a shovel or hoe (duties include clearing roads, removing alien vegetation, working in the garden, and watering trees in the orchard), but that will take up just a few hours a day. The rest of your week days will be spent getting to know the other volunteers while you eat, relax, play games, and enjoy the pool. On the weekends you will have more free time to go into town and enjoy Victoria Falls, including local restaurants (I recommend the Three Monkeys), souvenir shopping, and all the adrenalin tourism you could ask for (white water rafting and the gorge swing are a must)!

3) You want to make friends
The volunteers at Nakavango include individuals of all ages and nationalities. Have an open mind and invest in developing relationships in order to make the most of your time at Nakavango. Remember, you'll be eating, working, driving, talking, and exploring with these people!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Laura, Thanks so much for sharing! Your review is fantastic and the tips you provide to future volunteers considering this program are spot on. Thanks for your recommendation and for being an awesome volunteer!

A medical student from Hong Kong
Kelvin

A life-changing journey in Vic Falls

In May, my friends and I left our air-conditioned rooms in Hong Kong to have a visit to a UNESCO World Heritage Site — Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe, in which the rainforests house many endangered species, to have a hands-on experience of the actual interaction between animals and humans with our bare feet. We do not want to just come and go, instead, we also hope to contribute to nature conservation and local communities there with the assistance from IVHQ and its local partner Nakavango Consevation program.

David Livingstone, who is the Scottish missionary and explorer, is considered to be the first European to view the falls and name it as ‘Victoria Falls’ in honor of his Queen, but the native name of ‘Mosi-oa-Tunya’ , which means the ‘Smoke that Thunders’ is also famous. Although it is neither the highest nor the widest waterfall round the globe, it is thought to be the largest with a width of 1,708 metres and height of 108 metres.

The Stanley and Livingstone Private Game Reserve where we work in is a 2,500 hectare privately-managed piece of primitive land which is the only “Big Five” area surrounding Victoria Falls, due to the presence of the rarely seen Black Rhinoceros, apart from lion, leopard, elephant and buffalo.

The reserve was fenced in 2000 as an Intensive Protection Zone for Black Rhino in the area. As a result, an intensive Black Rhino monitoring programme is now in progress , aiming to increase the black rhino population in the area, as opposed to the non-stop poaching activity of rhinoceros in Southern Africa. As a result, one of the key focus of our trip is to understand the rhino poaching issue. According to the International Union for Conservation of Nature’s (IUCN) Red List of animals at risk of extinction, black rhinos are listed as “critically endangered”, which is on the verge of being disappeared on the Earth.

Because of the above-mentioned geographical features in this area, the focal point of activity at the reserve is preservation and conservation through non-consumptive activity in order to sustain and support the various ecosystems. We took part in the Wildlife Conservation project in the game reserve and surrounding areas within Victoria Falls, which includes:
 Alien vegetation removal, such as the lantana
 Fence patrols to ensure no escape of rhinos and entry of poachers
 Bush walks with International Anti-Poaching Foundation
 Game, predator and bird monitoring, tracking and counting
 Road maintenance
 Reserve clean-up operations
 Camping out on the reserve
 Watching Rhino supplement feeding
 Playing with local children
 School vegetable garden and tree nursery maintenance with the scholars

These hands-on experiences allow us to experience the wildlife which is now difficult to be found in the rapidly developing world, especially in Hong Kong, which is called the ‘Concrete Jungle’. Apart from understanding more about wild ecosystems, at the same time we can also appreciate the relationships between animals and humans. On one hand, some people try to take advantages from other species via poaching or massive deforestation. But on the other hand, there are also different organizations trying to help those vulnerable wild species via conservation. Those anti-poaching team members we visit can even risk their our lives to protect those susceptible rhinos as poachers always hold rifles in their hands. Therefore, it is always meaningful to appreciate how the relationships between animals and humans have evolved as we all understand that human activities have already exploited many animals due to the fiercely growing global populations. As a result, finding a way for sustainable development seems to be a great challenge for our generations.

In addition, we also had the chance to engage in the local community via primary school visits and small-scale vegetable gardening. Therefore, we hope that apart from catching a glimpse of the natural beauty there, we can also help to benefit the local community. During the process, we also experience the local life and have interactions with the natives. And this undoubtedly widen our horizons and allow us to truly understand that we are only a small part of the world.

During the volunteer program, we definitely benefit a lot as we can get in touch with the nature face to face, such as having game drives with elephants or giraffes rambling only meters away from our open game viewing vehicle, let alone having exciting bush walks and tracking on the grassland in Africa to stalk elephants fighting with their tusks. Yet the life there is never that simple as we all encounter an uphill battle — doing manual labor. Living in a well developed metropolis and leading a sedentary lifestyle, I am not accustomed to carrying a heavy sickle and shovel to participate in farming and weeding. However, in my stay there, not only do we need to work as farmers to plow the field, we also need to construct a road in the bush plentiful of spikes and thorns with slashers, and even uprooting a whole bunch of enormous lantana which requires herculean effort to pull it out. But after all, when we finished our work and saw what we had done, the sense of achievement is unparallel and would motivate us to work harder on the next day. Very often, if we just confine ourselves in our comfort zone, in no way can we imagine how far we can reach and how much we can do even if we have the ability to go further.

Victoria Falls is a gorgeous place that has left me so many great memories and "first times", not only because of the picturesque scenaries, but also the lovely people I met there.

During our stay, we were so glad to have the chance to visit the Masuwe Primary School and play with the kids there. The kids there are so adorable and playful that they would share their snacks with me and come to grab my glasses and ask me to take a picture for them. The hyperinflation in Zimbabwe is so severe that the government there even has to adopt the US dollar as the main currency. The high unemployment rate is also worrying, as across the country over 90% of adults are jobless. While schooling is not free (or even expensive) , having their kids studying in formal school (even though it is already a formal school, Masuwe Primary School only has 4 classrooms, so some students have to sit on the floor), the families have to squeeze their pockets which are already shivelled. What is more shocking is that among the 128 million school-aged children in Africa, 17 million will never attend school, which is more than 10% of the children population. Therefore, when I saw the proverb, “Knowledge is power”, painted on the wall of the school, I can truly feel the sorrow but also the hope the teachers there want to bring to the children. Education issues should never be taken lightly as they can affect the entire life of our next generation.

Another fascinating activity I have there is camping on the grassland which are open to all the wildlife, including the hyenas and lions. In Hong Kong, at most we can only go camping in the country park’s designated areas, but in Zimbabwe, I have the precious chance to even construct the road to our campsite. During the campfire party, volunteers from different countries, including the US, Britain and Germany, all played and chatted with each other, and exchanged our own culture. Some volunteers from Germany taught us how to make the “Stick Bread” and on the other day our team from Hong Kong in return also taught them how to make Chinese spring rolls. The sky full of twinkling stars and the faces of those friendly people we spent only a couple of week with have already been imprinted on my mind which I will never forget.

Apart from the people, the animals I met in the jorney are also amazing. In the program, I have the chance to have bush walk with a male adult male cheetah, whose name is Sylvester. In 2010, two days after the birthday of Sylvester, his mother and four of her cubs were killed by a male lion. Being the sole survivor having his umbilical cord attached and unopened eyes, he was rescued by a game scout. Lacking the maternal care for the initial 22 months of his life, he cannot survive in the wild as he does not know how to hunt. Since then, Sylvester is kept in the sanctuary that has large areas of open vleis, and he is now leading a healthy life with vigor and vitality, and even takes up the role of an ambassador cheetah to spread awareness of cheetah conservation in Zimbabwe. Similar to all other species on the brink of extinction, the problems complicating the survival of cheetah are multifactorial, including habitat loss and degradation, human-wildlife conflict and illegal wildlife trade. Due to these challenges, number of wild cheetahs in Africa drops to 9,000 to 12,000 recently, compared to 100,000 cheetahs across their historic range in 1900, therefore, they are the most endangered big cat in the birthplace of humanity.

Although in many peoeple’s mind cheetah is a powerful and fierce creature, it can also live under the risk of extinction. On the other hand, humans are not born with any lethal weapons on our body, but the destruction we have on the nature and the Earth is far more massive. And this can be further illustrated by another activity we did in Zimbabwe, which is to clean up the reserve area. This is such a “memeorable” experience as that day we have to clean up a mountain of household rubbish rife with used diapers and condoms. Although there is a public landfill not far away from the “crime scene”, those people lack of social morality just dumped their own wastes at the entrance of the private reserve.

During the adventure in Victoria Falls, what I learnt and experienced is far more fruitful than what I have written here. The program coordinators and staff there are all kind and friendly which make me feel like home. I would always recommend this program to my friends, because for me, this is such a once-in-a-lifetime experience that make my university life much more memorable.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Kelvin, Wow! Thank you for taking the time to post such an incredible and in-depth review of your time on the program in Victoria Falls. It sounds like the program was a great opportunity for you and your friends to have an experience that was outside of your comfort zone, and also and eye-opening learning opportunity. We agree that the program coordinators in Victoria Falls are not only knowledgeable but also kind and caring, which is a huge reason that this program receives such great feedback. Thanks for recommending IVHQ to your friends; we would love to welcome them onto an IVHQ program in the future. We wish you all the best.

Samantha

Best decision I have made.

Every morning you wake up at 6 and have breakfast, at six thirsty you take a game car to the assigned activity you have planned for that day. The activity could be roadwork, help a school, gardening or other activities. Before the days work activities you begin with a game drive. Once you have finished your work you arrive back at Nakavango and have lunch. You have some downtown after lunch then you return to begin another work assignment. Six thirty you will have dinner and than after dinner you have the night to yourself.
The people that I met changed my life, its crazy how you can go for two weeks and become so close to people. Our volunteer group was like my second family, I have learned about different nationalities and people. It is amazing of how different people from different parts of the world can sit down at a table and have the best talk. I have never laughed so hard in my life and I never had a bad moment with the people I was around.
The food was amazing. Personal I am a picky eater and don't like to try new things, but I have no complaints about the food and enjoyed every meal. The cooks were amazing and very friendly, every time you walked into the kitchen you felt welcomed and always had a nice conversation with the cooks. Every staff member that worked was truly amazing and was very nice and made you feel welcomed in your new home. The guides were so knowledgable and were great to drive around with we always had fun even when you were working hard.
You come for the big five animals but you fall in love with Zimbabwe for the trees and the birds and the great people. Leaving after two weeks was one of the hardest things I had to do and I wish I could have stayed longer. This trip was the best decision I have ever made.

For people who are doing this program I would recommend staying for longer than two weeks. Two weeks is not enough time you will not want to leave. Another thing is it gets cold in the mornings so make sure to bring some warm clothes. Bring more money than you expect because it is very hard to get cash in Zim. There are many worthwhile activities that cost money you can use a credit card but have some cash in hand.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Samantha, Thanks for your awesome review of the Victoria Falls program! It sounds like you were surrounded by a friendly and inspiring group of people and we are always so happy to hear about the connections and friendships formed while on our volunteer programs. Thanks for being a great volunteer and we wish you could have stayed longer too!
Claire – IVHQ Victoria Falls Program Manger

Amira

Nakavango

Gloves on pants off! And get ready for Nakavango. You won’t need many things. Just take your boots and your sunscreen with you. You will probably need an alarm in the morning, but don’t worry you will get use to it. Try to be ready for breakfasts by six, so you are able to see the sunrise. Nakavango is facing west, so sometimes it can be hard to see it, but don’t worry you will see it if you try. The staff will probably tell you to be ready at 6:30am, but Dean is ready ten minutes before, so be ready a little bit earlier. Take always your water bottle with you, and also an apple or an orange. If you take an orange, I highly recommend you take two because everyone it’s going to ask you for a little bit.

Few hours latter you are going to be dirty, sweaty, smelly and, tired, but happy. All at the exactly same time. When you get back to Nakavango, lunch is going to be waiting for you. Food is great! Deva is probably the best cook I have ever met. You have to hurry up! If you are late, there won’t be much food for you!

I know it is hard not having expectations before going to Victoria Falls, but please try to. This place is completely different from everything you have ever seen, smell, or try. It is a magical place, full of love and lovely smiles. Enjoy it as much as you can because it will never be enough time.

Probably you read a hundred reviews before these one, and you already know it’s an amazing experience and that it will blow your mind. My only big advice that can totally change your experience in Zimbabwe is talking to Ian. Try to get to know him, and listen everything he has to say. You will be impressed by how much you can learn from someone that you just met. He taught me amazing things, not only about Zimbabwe, but also about caring, doing what makes you happy, about family… And try the Amarula!

The only problem I have is I can’t wait to go back.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Amira, What a great review! We are so thankful that you have taken the time to share a little about your experience volunteering on the Victoria Falls program. It sounds like your days were full, satisfying and inspiring. We can’t wait to have you back!

Diyé

IVHQ Victoria Falls

My time in Nakavango with IVHQ was one of the best time of my life. I have just love everything about the program from the daily drive in the bush to the accommodation (the food is sooo good). People are really friendly, the staff is so nice and full of knowlegde, I have learn so much about conservation during my time here. The landscape are beautiful, there is many activities to do during the week end so bring extra money. Meeting people from all over the world is also a really cool part of the experience. I would highly recommend to go for 4 weeks if you can. It was my first time in Africa but definitely not the last one.

Maybe doing more lectures during the afternoon, we did one and it was really interesting.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Diyé, Thanks for your great review of the Victoria Falls program! We are so glad to hear that you loved everything about the program, from the volunteer work to the local team and other volunteers. Thanks for being an awesome volunteer and we hope you are planning your next trip to Africa soon!

Nick

Vic Falls - Worth It!! Every minute!

I wanted to volunteer in an area outside of my normal comfort zone. - I did. I enjoyed every single minute of it. You definitely work hard at times, road work, plant removal, weeding and gardening, but you also have a lot of fun, fishing, game drives, and weeked activities are plenty! - Bungee jumping, swinging into a gorge, crocodile cage diving!

The staff at the Conservation Program are all top notch, the cooks are amazing, cleaning staff are friendly and social- and all of them want to ensure you enjoy your peaceful stay. Many times, from breakfast, or lunch, we would watch Giraffe in the distance from our eating area. The falls are absolutely stunning, and the town is small but friendly as can be.

My only problem is, I chose this as my first volunteer opportunity. There is no way that the next one can exceed this one, as everything was so perfect from start to finish.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Nick, Thanks for your awesome review of our Victoria Falls program. We are stoked to hear that you enjoyed every minute of the experience and it certainly sounds like you made the most of every moment spent outside your comfort zone! Victoria Falls is a hard program to beat but we would love for you to join another program and have another top notch volunteering experience with IVHQ.

About International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

IVHQ is the world’s most trusted and affordable volunteer abroad organization, offering the largest range of safe and impactful volunteer programs in 40+ destinations around the world.

Over 80,000 travelers have volunteered abroad with IVHQ over the...