Worldwide Experience: Conservation Program in Zimbabwe, Victoria Falls

Worldwide Experience: Conservation Program in Zimbabwe, Victoria Falls

The Nakavango Conservation & Community program is based at the Victoria Falls Private Game Reserve. The reserve is a short ten minute drive from the town of Victoria Falls, home to one of the natural wonders of the world, the Victoria Falls. The Victoria Falls are recognized by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site. Volunteers from across the globe are provided the unique opportunity to gain hands-on experience in conservation management activities, research projects, and community development projects.

During your experience, your knowledge of nature conservation and African wildlife will be greatly enhanced through your dedicated program coordinators, and you will leave with a stronger understanding of conservation issues, and the knowledge that you have made a real contribution to nature conservation and local communities in Africa.

Africa » Zimbabwe
Cost includes, accommodation, 3 meals per day, transfers, laundry and activities

William
Surrey

The Amazing Nakavango

The Nakavango project in Victoria falls was amazing. I had a fantastic time and it is run by incredibly kind, thoughtful and fun people. Incomparably hands on and a plethora of wildlife unique to Zimbabwe.
I had such a good time and I will definitely be going back again, I cannot wait!

If I had to change one thing I would have gone for longer, there was not one moment that I felt bored or had little to do.

Alexander
United Kingdom
Open University

Nakavango Review

My stay at Nakavango was a amazing experience for me, the service that the staff provided was outstanding, the quality of food that was served was immaculate.
I also learnt a lot of information from the guides and staff about Zimbabwe and Africa which I took home with me to the UK, and have told all my friends and family about the camp Nakavango and plan on returning. Everything at camp Nakavango was of the highest quality, the manager Brenda Lightbody was wonderful and always on the ball, making sure her students felt comfortable was her main priority. I felt very safe around the head student co-ordinator husband Peter Lightbody, I always felt my health and safety was of main priority.
Although my stay at camp Nakavango was none the less an amazing experience, the programme which I was involved with was very mixed up. I didn't actually do much conservation, on my first day i was told the programme was 70% conservation and 30% children in the wilderness, when actually I felt it was 30% conservation and 70% children in the wilderness. I would suggest that the programme be more specified to the volunteers requirement, as the most enjoyable times I had in the programme was camping, bird habituation, alien plant removal and aiding Derri ( the local botanist) with his tree planting. Generally spending time in the bush I really loved alot!.
The children in the wilderness is a really great programme which teaches the children at a young age so they grow up with more knowledge of the environment and the affects on the environment. I felt The conservation programme I got involved with was greatly over-shadowed by this. Working with the children should be a separate programme, so it can gain more focus.
From the programme description on the Worldwide Experience website, I was under the impression I would be doing a lot more hands on work and aiding the team with possible research. On my I trip I would of liked to of gained more experience and knowledge on conservation, as that is what I am driving my career towards.
though that being said, my time was incredible, the things I've listed are things which would of made my experience just that little bit more amazing, i hope this review is taken as constructive criticism.

I would of changed the conservation programme organisation as noted above

Georgina
Oxford, UK
University of Reading

Absolutely fantastic!

Very good programme and very varied with lots of wildlife and community work. Highlights included visiting Victoria Falls and learning tracking skills. Difficulties were getting an entry visa but this was easier than I first thought.

More hands on wildlife experiences

Max
Raleigh, North Carolina

Once in a lifetime experience !

If you would like to experience and have hands on encounters with African wildlife in their natural habitat, Be apart of social development programs that change lives and have adrenalin rushes like no place else - Nakavango offers it all!

Working alongside the highly skilled staff and living on the reserve, Nakavango soon felt like home. The highlights of my trip were:
My close encounter with Shungu, the black rhino
Rafting the mighty Zambezi river
Witnessing one of the 7 natural wonders of the world - the Victoria Falls.

Worldwide Experience strives to conserve what man is fast destroying – our very own environment and ultimately our own planet. We are the specialists when it comes to wildlife conservation and offer scholars, students and the older generation the opportunity to work on some of