11 Week Ultimate Ski & Snowboard Instructor Course in Canada

11 Week Ultimate Ski & Snowboard Instructor Course in Canada

One of the most inclusive courses available, the qualifications you're able to achieve during this 11 week course in Banff is the take-off you need to start your ski instructing career.

Unlike other courses where you may only gain 2 qualifications, the ultimate course allows our basecampers to gain 5 qualifications:
CSIA Level 1 and 2
AST Level 1 (Avalanche)
First Aid
CFSA Level 1 (Canadian Freestyle Ski Association)
CSCF Race Level 1 (Canadian Ski Coach Federation).

In addition to that, you're also awarded with 600 credits for extra circular activities including cat skiing, snow mobiling and other various activities. Voted Canada's best Ski Resort in 2013, Banff boasts first class training, epic powder, gigantic endless pistes and a buzzing nightlife. To conclude it all, each basecamper is guaranteed an interview with Lake Louise Ski School, meaning you could return the following season to work as a Level 2 Instructor.

North America » Canada
Primary Language

Stephen
Stockton-on-Tees, England
Coventry University

Reigniting a passion for skiing

This course reignited my passion for skiing. For the last few years I had turned to predominantly Freestyle skiing for fun. However, the highly professional and passionate level 3 and 4 CSIA instructors brought both a challenge and fun back to piste skiing.

The previous Basecamp alumni that now work in resort were there to give advice and guidance all through the course. Also being able to shadow current instructors while they take lessons really gives a feel for the reality of working as an instructor.

Living centrally in Banff only adds to the experience with the numerous bars and restaurants encouraging a great social scene and the accommodation is very high quality.

All in all it is a life changing eleven weeks. Basecamp is the most well established and best regarded of all the gap year courses at Lake Louise and having completed the course I can see why. All of the skiing cohort passed the Level 2 CSIA Instructor course and a number of the participants (including myself) plan to be back in resort next year to instruct and ignite a passion in the next generation of skiiers.

After eleven weeks the choice of meals at the restaurants covered on the meal cards becomes quite repetitive.

Also Lake Louise is an amazing world class resort but I think it would be interesting and beneficial to visit some of the closer resorts. Allowing participants to see how instructors operate at other resorts with different terrain options.

Gaby
England

Banff 2016

Had the time of my life out in Canada with these guys! Met the most amazing people who will now be friends for life, skied in a world class resort which was insane, lived the dream of qualifying to instruct with awesome coaches to help and Banff was happily called our home out there. Had days where we hiked to find powder to hitting the park in the same day, the smile was impossible to get rid of. If you're thinking about it just do it, was an adventure of a lifetime.

More varied food choice on what was provided.

Louisa
Doncaster, Yorkshire

Amazing!!!

Basecamp is without a doubt the best program in banff for ski and snowboard instructor courses, basecamp get the best and most central accomodation, the best excursions and they most definitely have the best relationship with Lake Louise ski school. I was slightly hesitant about coming away for so long but it was so much fun it flew by, the training you get is so good, all the trainers are completely dedicated to helping you pass, you get to know some of them so well you end up meeting with them socially something which other programs dont seem to do. The night life in banff is so good, theres a different bar for every kind of scene and the night clubs are so much fun, the hotel is i would reccomend banff and Basecamp to anyone.

the only thing i wanted for whilst at basecamp was to be able to cook my own food, so kitchen facilities would have been good, but if the option was to sacrifice living in a hotel for a kitchen i would much rather stay living in the hotel.

Sabine
Basel, Switzerland

loved every second of it!

Coming from Switzerland, I was overwhelmed by the number of british companies that offer 11 week snowboard instructor courses in Canada. It took me quite a while to compare all of them and I finally decided to go with Basecamp since you get the most for the amount of money you pay.

Looking back onto my experience I am sooo happy I chose Basecamp. I had an amazing time, hotel was so close to town, hotel staff became good friends, Basecamp staff is super helpful, resort manager Andrew and photographer Rhodri (who was living with us) are always there for you and the people on Basecamp the best!!

The snowboard training and 1-1s we got with some of the best instructors at Lake Louise have definitely improved my snowboarding a lot and I would have never expected that getting my CASI Level 2 was gonna be one of the happiest moments in my life. I just realized again that I couldn't live without snowboarding and every day at Lake Louise was just awesome and unique. Thanks to former basecampers and fun nights out you also get in touch with a lot off Ski School staff members, which makes you feel like being part of a little family.

I was originally planning on going to university in Switzerland once I get back from Canada. But having spent the best winter season ever out there in Canada, I just wanna come back and teach at Lake Louise next year. I would have never imagined that Banff would become my actual home after these 3 months and I was so sad to leave. So hopefully everything works out with my visa and I'll be back soon! :)

Tessa
Banff
Northumbria University

The best gap year programme in Banff

It took me a while to choose which programme I wanted out of the few around. I looked at Snow Skool, EA, non stop and Basecamp. I chose Basecamp because it seemed to include more for less and because it was so easy to call them and ask a million questions!
I'm so glad I did. Accomadation wise it's so central in Banff- very important when it's -30 outside! The training was incredible- top level 3 and 4 instructors.
It has been so easy for me to come back and fit in at the ski school. I love working but Basecamp was better! An 11 week adventure holiday.
It's an absolute bargain for the amount it includes.

It would be better to be self catered but there isn't anything in Banff Central that would work for this so it's the best it can be for what's available..

Rhod
London
University of Gloucestershire

An awesome way to gain a qualification and skills on a gap year/career break.

I did this course a few years ago. I was 18 and right out of sixth form. I loved skiing and wanted to do something with it...I'd never really thought being an instructor was a possible career, but spotted Basecamp at a career show.

Weirdly, the biggest thing the course taught me was that ski instructing was not a job I wanted for the future...but this really didn't matter at the end of the day. I still qualified as an instructor, had 11-weeks of top notch training, lived in one of the most beautiful countries in the world and had three months of insane fun with a great bunch of people. The course is so much more than just an instructor training qualification. This course is one of, if not the, best experiences of my life. I was able to ski everyday with some of the best skiers on the mountain and have them talk me through my technique daily. I learned transferable teaching and safety skills, which I still use to this day and all while having the best time of my life.

I can't recommend this course enough to anyone looking for a worthwhile way to spend their gap year or for someone who wants to get away from the grind of their job on a career break.

Little things here or there could be better, but the bottom line is that for the money you're paying you're getting so much more than you realize. It would be nice to have every meal included, single rooms, more private lessons, but all those things would add cost. The course is amazing as it is, and any improvements I would suggest would just add to the overall cost unduly.

Holly
Great kingshill, Buckinghamshire

Best experience of my life!

The 11 week snowboard progrme with basecamp was defiantly the best decision, we had great instructors who really knew what they were talking about. I have grown very much as a person and as a snowboarder the basecamp course really helped me with that! Of course there was some down times coming up to the exams but everyone is very supportive and looks out for.

If I was to have something different it would be the facilities ee have in the hotel, although going out for dinner every night for 3 months sounds good, would be nice to be able to cook some meals at home and not worrying about going out all the time.

Brad
Middlesbrough, UK

Probably the best way to spend a winter season

If you're looking to become a ski instructor, or just to massively improve your shredding skills, I couldn't recommend Basecamp enough.

All our trainers were either CSIA level 3 or 4 instructors, many of which were actually the CSIA Course Conductors too, so they know exactly what they need to teach to get you at, and far beyond the standard.

The quality of the training speaks for itself when in both our level 1 and 2 assessed training, all 25 skiers achieved a pass, and most with flying colours.

The in-resort team is equally as awesome. Our resort manager works at the ski school and is always a great port of call for anything related to your training. We also had a professional cinematographer living with us in the hotel, documenting each day of the trip and pumping out some sick weekly videos and plenty of gnarly photos to make friends jealous on Facebook.

I think the great thing about the basecamp courses is quite a lot of ex basecampers go on to work in the resort, and they are always happy to show you around and even organise a bar crawl across town.

We get to eat in most of the restaurants in banff as part of the course sunday-thursday which means good food all season

The accommodation is a pretty basic hotel room based on a 2 queen bed share. Some of the rooms can be a bit small so it can get a bit tight, but you don't spend much time in your room so it is manageable.

You do have a fridge and microwave in the room, but it would be nice to have cooking facilities for days off and preparing food to take up on the hill, but this is the trade off for living in a hotel where you get fresh towels and sheets each week I guess.

Kate
Banff, Alberta
University of Essex

2014 Experience

I participated in the 11 week programme in 2014, just a life change from the mundane post university life, and was thoroughly impressed with the whole package. With the four day a week training, and private one on one sessions with some of Canada's best instructors.

Not only do you get fantastic training, time off the hill is spent doing fun activities like heli skiing, snowmobiling and going to watch NHL games in near by Calgary.

And if all that doesn't get you excited, there's the amazing wildlife to spot whilst roaming through town, and charging through the amazing pow.
Not only does the base camp course set you up to be a better skier or instructor, it also sets you up with great life skills, and even gives you a chance to work closely with some of the great instructing that happens at Lake Louise, and sets you up well for a job in the upcoming seasons.

After three months out here in Canada's best ski resort, you'll find it hard to ski any where else. I know I have. I'm now fully employed by the resort and working in Canada's best office space.

Gavin
Shrewsbury Shropshire
Leeds Metropolitan University

If You Want To Become A Ski Instructor, This Course Is For You...

So I did the 11 week training program in Banff, AB, Canada in 2013, once I had booked on the course and payed my course fees, Basecamp sent me tickets to the Ski and Snowboard show in London. They had a stall, I turned up and was greeted by some of the boys from Basecamp, we had a little chat. I had a wonder around. Then later that day, Basecamp put on a party for us at a local bar, so we could meet people from the course before we went. I thought this was excellent, as I got to talk to some of the people i would be spending the next 11 weeks with.

The actual program was well planned and organised, I felt the training was more than adequate for the Level 1 exam. I felt a better skier than the pass standard. The training was broken up by having different instructors through out the weeks and different activities put on through the course such as a hockey game (to see Calgary Flames V Vancouver Canucks) and tubing at the local resort. through out the 11 weeks I felt like any direct issues I had were addressed quickly and promptly.

4 days of training a week i felt was more than enough during the 11 weeks, and i found the 1-1s very helpful with my own skiing, also the small group sizes made the tuition more personal.

The accommodation i thought was perfect for skiers and snowboarders. It was close to town, with other like minded people from the group staying close to us so we always had people to venture in to town and see the local sights. It made things a lot better as we had breakfast included every morning and 5 meals at night provided. The accommodation had a kitchen so cooking was easy.

not too sure really, well thought out with all bases covered.

Andy
United Kingdom
University of Nottingham

The best 11 weeks of my life

There were two main parts to the Basecamp experience; skiing at Lake Louise and living in Banff. Lake Louise was hands down the best resort I've ever skiied at. The trees, the terrain park, the powder...awesome. Banff was also incredible as being a secluded mountain town, it is a very close community which makes the social life way more fun. Basecamp made sure that everything from the accommodation, to food and any little problems you had were sorted out very efficiently. A great company and a great 11 weeks.

Basecamp has been running world-class ski and snowboard instructor courses since 2002, and operate from leading resorts in France, Canada and New Zealand. As the first company to offer BASI qualifications in France, they are experienced pioneers, and excel in carving the fresh tracks in