Gap Year Program in China: intern, study Chinese or volunteer

Gap Year Program in China: intern, study Chinese or volunteer

Are you seeking meaningful activities that you can take on during the all too important gap year? Join our program at Go Abroad China, we have solid experience in helping students make informed decisions and research about the next step in their career, as well as providing exciting opportunities for them to explore! We support international candidates seeking valuable and practical ways to spend a gap year by providing a selection of the following programs:

1) Internships in China
2) Mandarin language study
3) Volunteering in Beijing
4) Study & Tour program

We customize our programs to meet the specific need of some applicants, we communicate efficiently and patiently to help our potential candidates understand how we can help them really start engaging their future plans and adding an element of adventure and excitement by the fact that we invite them to come to China.

Asia » China » Shanghai
1 Year+
Primary Language
Chinese
Age Max
Generally our prices range from $1580 - $9000 USD. Your specific price quotation will depend on how long you stay in China for, the type of program you choose and whether or not you want to include extra language lessons.

The cost includes:

- choose between an internship placement/volunteer placement/university placement
- Mandarin lessons
- housing (home-stay, shared or private apartment)
- pre departure guidance
- visa assistance
- airport pick up & orientation
- outings, tours and cultural activities guided by the Go Abroad China team

Hallie
USA

Everything I ever wanted, and more!

I always knew I wanted to learn Chinese in China but I never knew how easy it could be until I found Go Abroad China. Even though I traveled to China not knowing a single person, I never felt lost or alone because I knew I had people I could rely on and call if I needed. GAC took several steps before I left to make sure I was prepared, such a supplying me with a cell phone, insurance, housing, and my Chinese class schedule. When I got to Beijing, they had a driver waiting for me at the airport to take me to my University, I studied at BLCU by the way. The classes were interesting and engaging and really allowed me to get an amazing glimpse of Chinese culture. They arranged excursions which made me (and my parents, they came to visit me for one week) feel better that I wasn't trying to plan out everything myself in a foreign country. Study abroad in China is something I recommend every student do at some point in their life because I think it's the best way to gain a sense of independence and confidence in yourself. It's also a great excuse to live in another country for 6 months and see the culture more in-depth than a week-long vacation. The friends I made while I was in China are people that I will have forever in my life because we shared such unforgettable memories and experiences.

The BLCU is the best university to learn Chinese, Chinese classes themselves were great and all of the professors were excellent, the only thing I would have liked more is if I was mixed with Chinese Students. It could have just been the classes I chose though but I really enjoyed all of my classes regardless.

I lived in a Chinese host family, they were so kind, I had my own room and bathroom and shared a kitchen. I couldn't have asked for better people to live with. We were all so excited to be in another country that we exchange some language and culture experience. The living area is in the downtown , and very safe and I really appreciated that GAC organized all the housing as opposed to me having to figure it out myself.

GAC was great with getting us immersed in the culture, we had lots of events and activities! Of course, they were all optional but I and the rest of my study abroad classmates took advantage of every one of them! We went to acrobatic shows, we went to ski, visited Grate Wall and Forbidden city, spent a weekend in shanghai and several other excursions.

The program directors and administration was amazing from the day I applied to GAC . After I was accepted, my GAC admissions counselor called me every few weeks to make sure I was doing okay and if I had any questions. When I landed in China, I was met at the airport by my program director and she introduced me to my driver who drove me to the University. When I got there, another GAC representative met me at the car and showed me to my host family and gave me a tour of campus. Throughout the entire time, my program director Gina was completely accessible and involved in everything we did.

Maria
usa

A Good Chance never Come Twice

A good chance never come twice means GAC gave me a good chance to explored China in a simple ways. They help me everything i needed when i was in China, They provide me a paid internship in Beijing China. all of their staff are very friendly, they helped me anytime i need and they help me to solve all the problem i had. Every week they held a weekend activity to make us know more about Chinese culture. Join GAC internship program i feel like i catch a bird in one shoot which means i got a lot of experience an knowledge when i was in China. I learn about Chinese business strategies, Chinese culture, Chinese langguage and so many thing. Deep in my heart i don't wanna leave China, i don't wanna leave my colleague, my new friends and also GAC staff who is become my best friend when i was in China.

Michelle

Internship in China

In my school it is very common to take 'a year in the industry' and most students during this time usually work, travel, or take internships. I did a hospitality internship in China for almost 2 months in Shanghai. I plan to work in hospitality and have interned at a great hotel in Atlanta, and now I have another experience from China. I have to say the major things in the hotel industry are generally similar, and the benefits are great too. I enjoy client service and organizing things and actually really enjoyed my internship. We worked in shifts with my coworkers but it didn't feel like a job because I liked working in a hotel, plus I got to save a lot on accommodation and meals!
Exploring Shanghai with the GAC people was also great, its a city really beautiful by night! We went out for meals, one time we cooked dinner with some other people too all doing summer internships, and man other activities that were happening in Shanghai. Seemed to me foreigners there always had something to do!

Laura

A couple of months learning Chinese in China

During a break in my studies I decided to go to China and study Chinese. I had taken just a few lessons long ago but I had recently started thinking about China again, mainly because at careers office an adviser had mentioned it and I finally decided that I could travel to China. Go Abroad China advised that it would be best if I took the homestay option because it would allow me to keep learning Chinese from Chinese people. I admit that it was a good choice. I studied with a tutor for up to 6 hours everyday, and it was really tough but also helpful. She literally started from the very beginning and almost every week we started a new chapter from the book I was learning from. Homestay was great; I lived with a host family and their daughter. My host 'mom' was really supportive when I was doing my Chinese homework and she would help me a lot with pronouncing the words. That's another thing, I ALWAYS had homework! A couple of weekends the people at Go Abroad China would organize something and I met several other people who were doing internships and made friends. Doing private tutoring can get lonely sometimes as it was just me and my tutor (but she was really nice) so I always looked forward to going out with new friends and hanging out.

I had a good time in China but I think GAC staff should check in more about how the client and the program are going.

Michelle
Austrailia

My Gap Year Trip to China

I had an incredible time with Go Abroad China. I chose Go Abroad China because their service are affordable but promising than the other 3 third party companies that i sampled on Gooverseas.com
Arriving in China, one thing i noticed was the cultural shock and i immediately knew that China was a different place to be. The people are so good to foreigners and could use their last moments to offer help.
I taught my host family English language so i had my accommodation for free which i never paid.Go Abroad China helped arrange this and it was helpful as my total fee had reduced drastically.
I lived near Go Abroad China's office, so i participated in many of the activities they plan. It was a fun experience to hang out with the other foreigners and talk about our different countries. I met amazing people from
all around the world, people with interesting stories and different experience from mine. It was always a pleasure to go to my Chinese classes and see everyone there.
Content of the program was fine with my expectations. I combined language Immersion with volunteering agenda. I taught English Language and Computer Lessons in a Migrant School in Beijing. It was a very deep and emotional program and i am happy to see my effort impact on these Children.

Nicholas
UK
University of Glasgow

My turn to review Go Abroad China

I think i will never regret coming to China because it was an awesome and an eye opening trip for me getting to experience a culture that is different from the west. Selecting a service provider for such trips was always daunting and painstaking. When i was looking for an Asian Gap Year i saw their advert "Experts for Gap Year Planning" i added them to a basket of similar service providers which i had to observe the correspondences and carefully select i chose them because their staff have been so helpful in the process.
I understand that Homestays accommodations are the best to facilitate language immersion but i opted to share apartment with Chinese students in dormitories in a particular High School Campus. My parents encouraged me because they felt it was safer because there are caretakers. Indeed i feel this is the best decision i have ever made because i mingled with Chinese students who also were interested in learning the English language the result was butter trade.
I am currently still in China and due to depart in the next two weeks but i am already feeling reluctant. Apart from getting to know the language and the lifestyle of China, i have grown as a person and as a traveler. I have learnt to understand and coexist with different cultures and personalities and i will be going back home with many beautiful memories.
Since we have the language barrier sometimes it is difficult to discuss about things or problems but over time, my Chinese improved drastically and we could discuss just anything. We spend evenings describing our various countries and nice places. My Chinese friend told His parents about me and the decided to pick me on a family treat with approval from Go Abroad China. The program content was superb ,it allowed for full immersion and mastery of mandarin, the environment for studying was absolutely warm and welcoming, Coordinators were always available to help every step of the way. The language study is very rigorous and deep. At the end of the day, what matters is that i achieved my ambitions.
If i should rate, i will give Go Abroad China Lower excellent because i know they cannot be perfect.

Edwin
Canada
University of Alberta

Once upon in China with Go Abroad China

I got to know about Go Abroad China through my career advisor. I chose the China immersion program for myself with the help of my parents. It was my frist time ever trying to travel out of the States so as usual i had to pay much attention to every detail to make sure that i am making the right choice. i was a little skeptical about things such that i got hesitant even at the final hour. i do not need all the elements in the service pack so i asked for a customized service quotation which was affordable. I noticed living in Beijing was not that expensive as i thought.
I selected Home stay accommodation arrangement upon advice from GAC staff but i was not sure what to expect as i do not know the caliber of families that are selected. Bonding with my Host family was a little difficult but finally enjoyed it. I noticed that the remedy to my worries is to be open minded. They actually facilitated my immersion; they served as a point of contact for practicing my Chinese after class. I learn how to make some Chinese Cuisine by the help of the host family and they narrated to me much Chinese histories and reasons behind some of their cultural values. I learnt to be moderate in all aspects of life.
The program performance target was to get me master Chinese language within 3 months. The curriculum is made up of language study and Chinese Business Model. My weekdays were tight with studies while the weekends were full of fun. Whenever i get the sense that weekends are near then i get happy. I enjoyed the trip to Inner Mongolia. I saw for the first time how nomadic cultures were, and how they construct their tents. It was an awesome experience.
I will not state here that Go Abroad China is a perfect organization but they tried to meet my expectations and i will not hesitate recommending them to anyone who wants to plan a Gap Year and any of their services. I owe return trip to China because of my host family.Some friends from the same school also participated in other programs with similar content and they also shared a very nice testimony.

Go Abroad China as the leading internship abroad provider in China, over 10000 talented undergraduates, graduates and young professionals from over 50 countries have joined GAC China Internship program.

Go Abroad China provide in a wide range of sectors that include hospitality, business, trade, technology,