Pacific Discovery | Ecuador & Galapagos Summer Program

Pacific Discovery | Ecuador & Galapagos Summer Program

$500 scholarship for Nepal & Tibet Semester Spring 2018 applicants
The Pacific Discovery Nepal & Tibet Semester is an extraordinary educational travel semester. You'll experience Nepali language and cultural immersion while home-staying in a rural village and volunteering on a valuable community development project. Trek the Annapurna Circuit, in the shadow of Himalayan giants through Annapurna National Park. Study yoga, meditation and Tibetan Buddhism while living at a small monastery. Raft one of the worlds top river journeys down the Kali Gandaki River. Travel overland across the roof-top of the world between Kathmandu and Lhasa, the spiritual heart of Tibet, through incredible landscapes, amazing historic sites, and visit Everest Base Camp.

Be prepared to fall in love with Ecuador & the Galapagos Islands on our incredible summer adventure. You will experience the best of what this spectacular country has to offer – towering Andean mountains, dense and wild Amazonian jungle, incredible indigenous cultures, relaxing hot springs, active volcanoes and some of the world’s most diverse and unique wildlife.

Experience the wilderness canyoning and rafting, and trace the historic and scientifically groundbreaking steps of Darwin by participating in an educational island-hopping week through the Galapagos. Ecuador is one of the best places to develop your Spanish speaking skills as Ecuadorians are typically very easy-going and comparatively slow Spanish speakers.

This program can be combined with the Peru Summer Program, or the Cuba Summer Program for an inspirational 8-week educational travel experience in Latin America.

South America » Ecuador
Age Max
Application Fee
Deposit
Program fee inclusions:
Visa on arrival*; All in-country travel (except flights); All accommodation; Most meals (see ‘meals’ above); All activities, excursions, entry fees and adventure travel as described in the itinerary; One week of volunteering and community service; Informal lectures from resident experts on conservation, history, development and eco-tourism; Experienced program leader/s and local guides; Online image library for your program. *Note: A free 90-day visa for Ecuador is issued on arrival.
Refer information booklet for international flight options.

Amy
Boston
Ithaca College

Thank you Pacific Discovery!

Definitely a life-changing experience! I really enjoyed learning about the country including it's culture, food, lifestyle, etc. I also found that I grew as a person due to the experiences I had and the people I met. I would recommend a trip with Pacific Discovery to everyone, no matter what background or experience of traveling. The leaders provide a safe and comforting environment for everyone and give support throughout the entire trip. It made for the best, and most memorable summer I have ever had!

Caroline
Walla Walla, Washington
Whitman College

New Perspectives

Overall amazing trip. I went on it the summer between my senior year of high school and first year at college and it really helped me grow into my own person, become more independent and learned so much about the world. The people I met on the trip were awesome and I'm still in contact with most of them.

Honestly, nothing. I can't think of anything I would change.

Ana
New York City, New York
New York University

I think about my trip all the time.

The summer of last year (2014), I went on a month long trip with Pacific Discovery around Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands. We did incredible things like fixing a water system in rural Ecuador, hiking up Chimborazo mountain, swimming with sea lions as well as myriad other marine animals near Kicker Rock, and interacting with locals. The food was delicious and authentic everywhere we went, and we learned a lot about the country's agriculture (the cacao farm was so interesting!). Not once did I feel uneasy about safety. Everyone was extremely welcoming and eager to become friends with us. I loved every single member in my group; I have met up with several of them after we got back from the trip, and I still plan on seeing others! To this day, I find myself talking about my trip to people all the time. I will never forget the experiences I had there! I would definitely go on a trip with Pacific Discovery again.

I can't think of anything I would change about the program. Seriously, it was amazing.

Tobi
Honolulu, Hawaii
University of Hawaii- Manoa

Best Thing I've Ever Done

The Ecuador/Galápagos program was--hands down-- the most incredible thing I've ever experienced. There is so much diversity and YOU get to experience it. We saw the city, the country, the islands, lakes, rivers, villages, jungles, rain forests, snow, beaches, volcanoes, etc. The wildlife was amazing too (llamas, vicuñas, sea lions, sea turtles, tortoises, sharks, dolphins, iguanas, etc.) Not only do you see and experience amazing things, but you'll meet amazing people. From day one, everyone was hanging out in each others' rooms and getting along wonderfully. You'll be amazed at how close you become with your group in such little time. At the end of the trip, walking each other to our gates at the airport was heartbreaking. Your group members will be incredible, but so will the people you get the privilege of helping. It was so humbling and rewarding. The culture and language immersion was also something that I loved.
When trying to pick a program, I read many reviews. They all seemed too good to be true ("life changing" "time of my life" "made life long friends"). I was skeptical to say the least, but I was so so wrong. I live in Hawaii and have travelled a bit (Germany, Austria, Italy, France, Spain, Lichtenstein, Switzerland, Korea, and more), but nothing compared to what I saw, learned, and experienced on this program.
Please please please feel free to contact me (there should be some way of doing so since I've left my email address here). If you're trying to decide or if you have questions about what to expect/bring if you have decided, I'd love to help!

I loved every place we visited, but if I had to pick one place to take out of the program, it would be Ciudad Mitad del Mundo. It was all a bit fake and amusement park-y. AND we read that it's not even really the equator.

Pacific Discovery gap year, semester and summer programs are experiential education programs, suitable for high school graduates, university students and recent graduates, developed with a focus on six core components: educational travel, service learning, cultural and language immersion, sustainable adventure travel, outdoors and wilderness exploration,