• England

Age Max

Pricing

Session 1: Feb 13 – Mar 24, 2023
Session 2: Apr 3 – May 12, 2023
Sessions 1 + 2: Feb 13 – May 12, 2023 (incl. 1-week break between sessions)

Session 1: £11,000 (incl. 3-day Edinburgh trip)
Session 2: £13,500 (incl. 1-week Venice trip + 1-week Paris trip)
Session 1 + 2: £22,500 (incl. all trips + 1-week break between sessions)
*Housing included
What's Included
Some Accommodation Some Activities Some Equipment Some Meals Transportation Wifi
Oct 27, 2021
Dec 04, 2021
11 travelers are looking at this program

Begin your journey of self-discovery at the center of the art world.

Built around the unrivaled access of Sotheby’s Institute of Art, the Gap program invites curious students to explore London and the art world. Offered as 6-week and 12-week terms, the program is ideal for students who are passionate about the wider arts and want to embark on a journey of self-discovery and cultural immersion.

This program introduces students to a world of creativity, culture, business, and opportunity in the heart of London: a historic, cosmopolitan and thriving capital city. Designed for students aged 18-21, the program provides unique opportunities for students to broaden their perspectives, meet new people, develop an intimate understanding of the art world, and discover their place within it.

Program Highlights

• Learn delicious and authentic recipes from around the world with an international cooking class at a historic venue in London
  • Develop professional skills with a Live Brief project set by, and presented to, industry specialists
  • Get behind the scenes access to the world of Sotheby’s Auction House and visit exclusive previews followed by specialist led discussions
  • Visit an artist studio in South London and try your hand at portraiture painting
  • Get inside knowledge on how to develop your professional profile, with CV and LinkedIn workshops led by top art world recruiters

• 5 rating 100%
  • 4 rating 0%
  • 3 rating 0%
  • 2 rating 0%
  • 1 rating 0%
Eliot

Sotheby's Fall Gap Year Program

This gap year program is a fantastic way to be either introduced or further your intellectual curiosities in the art world. The reason this program is so unique is because of the people, independence, and culture. I had the opportunity of meeting and living with 15 fellow students coming from all around the world which granted a great opportunity for both friendship and perspective. I would consider all of them life long friends. Along with the students I met are the RA's of the program who acted as my guardian angels. I also had fantastic and well versed teachers who made each class day unique and engaging. Lastly, and probably the most exciting aspect of this program, are the artists, curators, and business professionals we met and even formed relationships with. And those are just the people!
Class is 5 days a week, which gives little time to be bored. I would estimate we visited about 12 different galleries, museums, or centers each week. It can seem a bit overbearing, but do not fret, there is still plenty of time to explore London on your own terms on the weekends or after class. I was able to experience the night life, go to plays and the ballet, and even take a weekend trip to Edinburgh outside of class.
This program definitely pushed my stamina which could be difficult at times. There is an expectation that you attend all classes (there are exceptions like if you are sick, obviously) which is something you should be prepared for before applying or attending this program.
Another thing you should be aware of is that you will have flat mates and a roommate in most cases! It is fun and it is also up to you to keep your flat clean and to feed yourself here. It is a simple concept but can definitely be a challenge, especially for an international student.
As I am taking a gap year right now, this was a great opportunity for me to practice my independence, be presented with opportunities, and explore ideas for my future studies. I would recommend this program to almost anyone, but definitely for those interested or inspired by art, business, and exploration.

What was your funniest moment?
In the first two weeks of the program, we had a ballet class as part of our day. As we all barley knew each other and I can confidently say none of us were dancers, it was an extremely vulnerable moment for all of us. However, it was hilarious to see everyone attempt to Releve and Saute. Although I most definitely embarrassed myself that day, I think it was a great way to force me to be more comfortable with everyone.