Nepal & India Adventure with Gapforce

Embark on an epic Gap Year journey through the Indian Subcontinent. Over 8 weeks you will go from the highest mountain in the world, through India and on to the beaches of Goa. We have used our twenty years experience to put together the best that India, Nepal and Goa have to offer. An exotic combination of volunteering programs in two countries combines with an epic 2,000 mile adventure. Run by our highly trained Gapforce guides, this program is unique to Gapforce and our gap year team.

Janella

Nepal (4 Weeks) with Gapforce

Having done only the Nepal portion of the trip, I enjoyed it greatly. I liked the balance between the tranquility and flexibility of volunteering in Pokhara, the challenge and excitement of the trek, the fun of Chitwan, and hectic Kathmandu. Every destination had something different to offer, therefore we were not just having similar experiences in various places. It was great to share the trip with like-minded people, especially since this is a gap year company and therefore all participants are taking gap years and nearly the same age.
If you are thinking of doing this program, I would 100% recommend it, but you must be comfortable with uncertainty and changes of plans. A program leader and a friend had to leave in the middle of the trip because of medical conditions, and the program had to be extended by three days because of a flight cancellation. These and similar inconveniences are circumstances you have to be comfortable with for the trip to be enjoyable. However, this flexibility can also bring about good things; for example, at last minute the orphanage leader invited us to her son's wedding, which was a great cultural experience.
I recommend being mindful about your money and belongings during the trek. Most people ran out of money well before ending the trek upon buying basic things such as toilet paper, snacks, showers, etc. (since they are expensive because it is very high up). Take more cash than is recommended, and do not expect ATMs during the trek. Since you are moving around so much, it is quite easy to lose your belongings (I lost a few things), so keep checking on your valuables to make sure you didn't leave them behind. Be prepared to have stomach issues at least once, and research about Everest Base Camp beforehand to both appreciate it more and be prepared for the cold, lack of communication, etc.

- Volunteering at the orphanage should be changed to other dates, since the children were on holiday and we were therefore only required to play & entertain them--often there was not much to do there.
- More information regarding prices and resource availability on the trek should be given. We needed more cash than was recommended for toilet paper, snacks, etc. This was especially important for the Gorak Shep part of the trek, since the only drinkable water has to be bought.
- Pre-trip communication was a little difficult, especially for internationals (I live in Peru and cannot call outside of Peru and the US, therefore reaching the UK office was very hard).
- A bonus improvement would be to add the city of Lumbini to the trip. It being Buddha's birthplace, I think it would be a good chance to learn more about Nepalese culture and religion, especially since there weren't many activities that were specifically for this purpose.
Will

Nepal

Only did the nepal part, the trek was great fun and especially enjoyed the week in Pokhora. I think the volunteering in Pokhora should be extended by a week with maybe a change in location in order to really contribute more. The leaders Barney and Ryan were also exceptional.

Change of volunteering/ add on another week.
Quinten

Greatest Experience

I had a wonderful trip! I just did the nepal part, but it was amazing. We were able to see many various parts of the country. This gave me the chance to get to know different subcultures within the main culture. Of course the Everest Base Camp trek was a main part of the trip! It was beautiful to see the untouched nature. Luckily we were able to make it to Base Camp, that was an absolute highlite of the trip!! This was quite exiting because I suffered a day from altitude sickness, but thanks to the expedition leaders (who were of great help) I was able to continue! Thanks a lot GapForce for this experience of a lifetime

The volunteering in Pokhara! I felt a bit useless at the childrens home! But please keep Pokhara in the Iternary it was the best part of the trip if you ask me. I also think the volunteering wasn't as good because it was an national holiday.
Aiden

Absolutely Brilliant!

I did both the Nepal and India sections of the trip and both were amazing! Thoroughly enjoyed both parts. I would defiantly recommend to anyone looking for adventure/expedition type trip. Paul and Barney were both fantastic, and great leaders to have on the trip. As with any trip to a location like India or Nepal there were things that did not go to plan, but the way that they were dealt with by Paul and Barney was very professional. Plus it all added to the overall experience! I can’t think of a place that we went to that I didn’t enjoy. As a whole I really enjoyed my two months and would defiantly recommend it!

Consider group sizes as we could not stay with the host families in Nepal due to the number of people.
Alice

A beautiful, intense, and sometimes difficult two months - every single day is vivid. The variegation of location, activity, etc., across the trip is astounding: we went from icy mountain passes at 5000m, to the sultry heat of New Delhi, cycling through the paradisiacal countryside of Chitwan in Nepal, - to the slums of Mumbai and cool, cloudy oceans of Goa. I would not have wished for anything to be different, despite difficulties (with heat, cold, altitude, illness), - everything was surmountable (and valuable), especially with the support of Barney and Paul and others in the group. And all difficulties were balanced easily by the beauty of other experiences: wandering the gardens of the Taj Mahal, working closely with Tibetan refugees in a village in the mountains, walking through the snow in the Himalayas and crossing high bridges in lush valleys, - and getting to know all the other lovely people who are with you there. I would 100% recommend this trip. Thank you thank you thank you to everyone involved ❤

More accurate kit-list (some items were unnecessary, and others missing), and more information about the difficulties of the trek so we could be better prepared.
Anna

Nepal and India

This trip was such an amazing experience! I'd recommend anyone who's taking a year out to consider it. The first stage, in Nepal, was incredible - Kathmandu was as crazy as expected and we stayed in really nice accommodation. The trek was definitely the hardest part of the trip but by far the most incredible - there's nothing that compares to seeing Everest for the first time! I'd say if you are planning on going to do some training beforehand but as you're part of a group everyone helps one another and it's how the group really starts to come together as one team.
After one month in Nepal we flew to New Delhi and became obsessed with riding in the Tuk Tuks everywhere we could! The two weeks we spent in Mcleodganj teaching the Tibetan refugees was definitely my favourite part of India. It was an eye-opening experience and to hear all their stories of Tibet were heartbreaking and getting to know people over the course of the two weeks was amazing. We spent the last two weeks sight-seeing and got to see all the main sites across India and the Taj Mahal didn't disappoint - one of the most beautiful things I've seen! The long bus journeys from place to place were tiring but great stories, and the overnight train journey was great fun! Finishing in Goa was the perfect way to end, gave us time to look back on our crazy adventure and just spend time with each other before heading back home.
The leaders Paul and Barney couldn't have been better! They were so supportive and great fun - wouldn't have traded them for anyone!
All in all an experience I'll always treasure and so glad I made the decision to go!

Emily

Trip of a Lifetime

The Nepal and India trip was my first taste of real travelling and I loved it ! Within the first week I had seen the main sights that Kathmandu had to offer and visited Chitwan , where we had a chance to bathe elephants, go on a canoe ride, and take part in a cycle ride passing through rural villages. The most challenging part of this trip is the Everest base camp trek. It pushes you to your limits , however you gain so much from this experience and personally it has made me a much stronger person. In Nepal you also get the chance to volunteer at an orphanage which is very fulfilling . The India phase is a lot more hectic but just as enjoyable. You visit every aspect of India and finish in the beautiful Goa. My highlight however of India has to be our volunteering work in Mcleod ganj. We gained so much from this experience and I have taken away so many great memories.

Less time spent on buses.
Less people allowed on the trip
Eve

Nepal trip

An incredible trip which I would highly recommend to anyone. The leaders were fantastic and made the trip worthwhile, being both a good laugh and yet there for you when you needed them. The EBC trek was definitely the highlight for me, with spectacular views, an insight into the local culture and a great sense of camaraderie. In addition the initial exploration of Kathmandu was highly interesting and the visit to Chitwan entertaining, especially the white water rafting. Equally enjoyable was the week of volunteering which despite the hard work was very rewarding. Overall a brilliant trip.

Odette

Great Trip!

Great trip, was really good to explore Katmandu when we first arrived. Time in Chitwan was good fun. The trek was easily the best bit! Great scenery! Think the group was too big for trekking but was good to get to know lots of people. Take lots of warm clothes!!! Orphanage was great, shame we couldn’t stay in the home stays as lots of people were really looking forward to that! Great leaders! Great to meet others!

Make the group smaller so that everything can be done!
Better kit list and tell people to train.
No, I don't recommend
Max

Really enjoyable

I found this trip to be really enjoyable. The scenery was fantastic and the group was really nice. The leaders were there to help if needed. The trek was a real challenge and I would recommend doing some training before hand as well as packing a warm coat as when we got the the highest point it exceeded -10 although the view were definitely worth the cold and the effort. The volunteering and the safari were an added bonus but the trek was the main body of the trip.

Maxim

Lit

It was lit. Don't really know what else to add. Feel like it's my ucas form having to fill the characters up. Would recommend to anyone who's game for an outdoor adventure. Inclusive for anyone of any age though gap year students seem to be the most common. I thought the leaders being Barney and Paul were exceptional to the trip and really made it. I felt that, regardless of whom you are with or where you are, good leaders ( and in this incident, EXCEPTIONAL) are crucial.

Not sure
Casie

Would do it again in a heartbeat

This trip really does push you to your limits and gives you a chance to challenge yourself. I loved every minute of it! I had so much fun, saw so many amazing things, with an amazing group of people. The whole thing was very well organized, but allowed us our independence as well. Easily one of the best things I've ever done in my life. I didn't want to leave, and I hope I get the chance to participate in another Gapforce adventure soon.

The only thing I can think of that might need some improvement is the accuracy of our gear list. Many people in our group needed to by more gear while we were in Nepal.
Alice

Nepal Trip

I had a really good time on this trip doing a whole variety of things Nepal has to offer. We enjoyed a good chunk of time in Kathmandu and also visited Chitwan national park before heading off on our trek. In Kathmandu we stayed in nice accommodation and had a lot of fun getting to know each other and exploring the sights. Chitwan was great too, we got to see rhinos in the wild and ride elephants. The trekking was challenging but fun and we were well supported by our leaders. After the trek we did a weeks volunteering which was really rewarding. We managed to squeeze a lot of variety into a relatively short trip which made it fast paced and fun.

Our leaders on this trip were excellent and fitted in their roles well. They're reliable, well trained and a good laugh so you know you're in good hands. While good fun, it's not a trip for the faint hearted and it would be highly beneficial to have experience of trekking and a good standard of fitness before you depart.

The pre departure information was slightly limited. While I appreciate that organising these expeditions is tough, and a degree of flexibility is a necessity, it would have been good to have more detailed and accurate information about the volunteering project and the itinerary of the trek pre departure. I think we would all also have benefitted from more information on the necessary kit and a better idea of the fitness standards required for the trekking.
Lubnah

Nepal Adventure

Amazing trip, definitely worth it. Trip leaders were awesome. However we had a really big group, so we couldn't do the home stay which I was really looking forward to. The office should be careful as to how many people they allow on the trips so it doesn't interfere with the trip's schedule. Also, it would have been beneficial if Gapforce emphasized that its best to be fit for the trek, as I was told its suitable for all fitness levels. It is, but it would really really really help to get as fit as you can. It might be better if Gapforce extends an additional week on the EBC trek so people can take it easy, considering the amount of people that got sick. Overall, amazing trip. Need to come back!

Vincent

Nepal road trip

I am from China and study in UK. I traveled here with Gapforce from UK! This was an excellent trip when I spent one month in Nepal. Delicious food, friendly people! Chitwan national park was wonderful, wild animals and elephant riding! The experience in orphanage was memorable!! Meeting lots of children and staying with them was happy! Dan is a reliable guy who take care for one month! Many thanks

Price should be cheaper

About GapForce

Gapforce is a leading provider of structured Gap Year programs and summer opportunities overseas. The wide range of global adventures includes marine conservation, wildlife protection, community volunteering & healthcare, extreme expeditions,...