Nepal & India Adventure

Nepal & India Adventure

Embark on an epic Gap Year journey through the Indian Subcontinent. Over 8 weeks you will go from the highest mountain in the world, through India and on to the beaches of Goa. We have used our twenty years experience to put together the best that India, Nepal and Goa have to offer. An exotic combination of volunteering programs in two countries combines with an epic 2,000 mile adventure. Run by our highly trained Gapforce guides, this program is unique to Gapforce and our gap year team.

Asia » Nepal
Asia » India
Program Tags
Adventure Travel
Guesthouse
Primary Language
UK Briefing Day, airport transfers, Program co-ordinator, local project staff, Government guides and porters, accommodation, meals, language classes, white water rafting, internal flights, project equipment and training, project transfers, 24/7 Emergency back-up, social activities, T-shirt

Will
University of Warwick

Nepal

Only did the nepal part, the trek was great fun and especially enjoyed the week in Pokhora. I think the volunteering in Pokhora should be extended by a week with maybe a change in location in order to really contribute more. The leaders Barney and Ryan were also exceptional.

Change of volunteering/ add on another week.

Quinten
The Netherlands

Greatest Experience

I had a wonderful trip! I just did the nepal part, but it was amazing. We were able to see many various parts of the country. This gave me the chance to get to know different subcultures within the main culture. Of course the Everest Base Camp trek was a main part of the trip! It was beautiful to see the untouched nature. Luckily we were able to make it to Base Camp, that was an absolute highlite of the trip!! This was quite exiting because I suffered a day from altitude sickness, but thanks to the expedition leaders (who were of great help) I was able to continue! Thanks a lot GapForce for this experience of a lifetime

The volunteering in Pokhara! I felt a bit useless at the childrens home! But please keep Pokhara in the Iternary it was the best part of the trip if you ask me. I also think the volunteering wasn't as good because it was an national holiday.

Aiden
Northamptonshire

Absolutely Brilliant!

I did both the Nepal and India sections of the trip and both were amazing! Thoroughly enjoyed both parts. I would defiantly recommend to anyone looking for adventure/expedition type trip. Paul and Barney were both fantastic, and great leaders to have on the trip. As with any trip to a location like India or Nepal there were things that did not go to plan, but the way that they were dealt with by Paul and Barney was very professional. Plus it all added to the overall experience! I can’t think of a place that we went to that I didn’t enjoy. As a whole I really enjoyed my two months and would defiantly recommend it!

Consider group sizes as we could not stay with the host families in Nepal due to the number of people.

Alice

A beautiful, intense, and sometimes difficult two months - every single day is vivid. The variegation of location, activity, etc., across the trip is astounding: we went from icy mountain passes at 5000m, to the sultry heat of New Delhi, cycling through the paradisiacal countryside of Chitwan in Nepal, - to the slums of Mumbai and cool, cloudy oceans of Goa. I would not have wished for anything to be different, despite difficulties (with heat, cold, altitude, illness), - everything was surmountable (and valuable), especially with the support of Barney and Paul and others in the group. And all difficulties were balanced easily by the beauty of other experiences: wandering the gardens of the Taj Mahal, working closely with Tibetan refugees in a village in the mountains, walking through the snow in the Himalayas and crossing high bridges in lush valleys, - and getting to know all the other lovely people who are with you there. I would 100% recommend this trip. Thank you thank you thank you to everyone involved ❤

More accurate kit-list (some items were unnecessary, and others missing), and more information about the difficulties of the trek so we could be better prepared.

Anna
Kent
University of Edinburgh

Nepal and India

This trip was such an amazing experience! I'd recommend anyone who's taking a year out to consider it. The first stage, in Nepal, was incredible - Kathmandu was as crazy as expected and we stayed in really nice accommodation. The trek was definitely the hardest part of the trip but by far the most incredible - there's nothing that compares to seeing Everest for the first time! I'd say if you are planning on going to do some training beforehand but as you're part of a group everyone helps one another and it's how the group really starts to come together as one team.
After one month in Nepal we flew to New Delhi and became obsessed with riding in the Tuk Tuks everywhere we could! The two weeks we spent in Mcleodganj teaching the Tibetan refugees was definitely my favourite part of India. It was an eye-opening experience and to hear all their stories of Tibet were heartbreaking and getting to know people over the course of the two weeks was amazing. We spent the last two weeks sight-seeing and got to see all the main sites across India and the Taj Mahal didn't disappoint - one of the most beautiful things I've seen! The long bus journeys from place to place were tiring but great stories, and the overnight train journey was great fun! Finishing in Goa was the perfect way to end, gave us time to look back on our crazy adventure and just spend time with each other before heading back home.
The leaders Paul and Barney couldn't have been better! They were so supportive and great fun - wouldn't have traded them for anyone!
All in all an experience I'll always treasure and so glad I made the decision to go!

Emily
United Kingdom

Trip of a Lifetime

The Nepal and India trip was my first taste of real travelling and I loved it ! Within the first week I had seen the main sights that Kathmandu had to offer and visited Chitwan , where we had a chance to bathe elephants, go on a canoe ride, and take part in a cycle ride passing through rural villages. The most challenging part of this trip is the Everest base camp trek. It pushes you to your limits , however you gain so much from this experience and personally it has made me a much stronger person. In Nepal you also get the chance to volunteer at an orphanage which is very fulfilling . The India phase is a lot more hectic but just as enjoyable. You visit every aspect of India and finish in the beautiful Goa. My highlight however of India has to be our volunteering work in Mcleod ganj. We gained so much from this experience and I have taken away so many great memories.

Less time spent on buses.
Less people allowed on the trip

Eve
Winchester
University of Bristol

Nepal trip

An incredible trip which I would highly recommend to anyone. The leaders were fantastic and made the trip worthwhile, being both a good laugh and yet there for you when you needed them. The EBC trek was definitely the highlight for me, with spectacular views, an insight into the local culture and a great sense of camaraderie. In addition the initial exploration of Kathmandu was highly interesting and the visit to Chitwan entertaining, especially the white water rafting. Equally enjoyable was the week of volunteering which despite the hard work was very rewarding. Overall a brilliant trip.

Odette
Paris

Great Trip!

Great trip, was really good to explore Katmandu when we first arrived. Time in Chitwan was good fun. The trek was easily the best bit! Great scenery! Think the group was too big for trekking but was good to get to know lots of people. Take lots of warm clothes!!! Orphanage was great, shame we couldn’t stay in the home stays as lots of people were really looking forward to that! Great leaders! Great to meet others!

Make the group smaller so that everything can be done!
Better kit list and tell people to train.

Max
England
University of Bristol

Really enjoyable

I found this trip to be really enjoyable. The scenery was fantastic and the group was really nice. The leaders were there to help if needed. The trek was a real challenge and I would recommend doing some training before hand as well as packing a warm coat as when we got the the highest point it exceeded -10 although the view were definitely worth the cold and the effort. The volunteering and the safari were an added bonus but the trek was the main body of the trip.

Maxim
London
Durham University

Lit

It was lit. Don't really know what else to add. Feel like it's my ucas form having to fill the characters up. Would recommend to anyone who's game for an outdoor adventure. Inclusive for anyone of any age though gap year students seem to be the most common. I thought the leaders being Barney and Paul were exceptional to the trip and really made it. I felt that, regardless of whom you are with or where you are, good leaders ( and in this incident, EXCEPTIONAL) are crucial.

Not sure

Casie
Vermont, United States

Would do it again in a heartbeat

This trip really does push you to your limits and gives you a chance to challenge yourself. I loved every minute of it! I had so much fun, saw so many amazing things, with an amazing group of people. The whole thing was very well organized, but allowed us our independence as well. Easily one of the best things I've ever done in my life. I didn't want to leave, and I hope I get the chance to participate in another Gapforce adventure soon.

The only thing I can think of that might need some improvement is the accuracy of our gear list. Many people in our group needed to by more gear while we were in Nepal.

Alice
Cambridge, UK

Nepal Trip

I had a really good time on this trip doing a whole variety of things Nepal has to offer. We enjoyed a good chunk of time in Kathmandu and also visited Chitwan national park before heading off on our trek. In Kathmandu we stayed in nice accommodation and had a lot of fun getting to know each other and exploring the sights. Chitwan was great too, we got to see rhinos in the wild and ride elephants. The trekking was challenging but fun and we were well supported by our leaders. After the trek we did a weeks volunteering which was really rewarding. We managed to squeeze a lot of variety into a relatively short trip which made it fast paced and fun.

Our leaders on this trip were excellent and fitted in their roles well. They're reliable, well trained and a good laugh so you know you're in good hands. While good fun, it's not a trip for the faint hearted and it would be highly beneficial to have experience of trekking and a good standard of fitness before you depart.

The pre departure information was slightly limited. While I appreciate that organising these expeditions is tough, and a degree of flexibility is a necessity, it would have been good to have more detailed and accurate information about the volunteering project and the itinerary of the trek pre departure. I think we would all also have benefitted from more information on the necessary kit and a better idea of the fitness standards required for the trekking.

Lubnah
4 months old
Abu Dhabi
New York University

Nepal Adventure

Amazing trip, definitely worth it. Trip leaders were awesome. However we had a really big group, so we couldn't do the home stay which I was really looking forward to. The office should be careful as to how many people they allow on the trips so it doesn't interfere with the trip's schedule. Also, it would have been beneficial if Gapforce emphasized that its best to be fit for the trek, as I was told its suitable for all fitness levels. It is, but it would really really really help to get as fit as you can. It might be better if Gapforce extends an additional week on the EBC trek so people can take it easy, considering the amount of people that got sick. Overall, amazing trip. Need to come back!

Vincent
Bradford UK
University of Bradford

Nepal road trip

I am from China and study in UK. I traveled here with Gapforce from UK! This was an excellent trip when I spent one month in Nepal. Delicious food, friendly people! Chitwan national park was wonderful, wild animals and elephant riding! The experience in orphanage was memorable!! Meeting lots of children and staying with them was happy! Dan is a reliable guy who take care for one month! Many thanks

Price should be cheaper

Mary
Dallas, Texas
University of Missouri- Columbia

To EBC and Back Again

To say that this trip has changed my life is a huge understatement. Within a matter of five weeks, I've been to dozens of temples in Kathmandu, went on an elephant back safari through the jungle in Chitwan National Park, worked at a wonderful orphanage and trekked to Everest Base Camp. While this trip isn't for the faint of heart, I can highly recommend it. GapForce has been a great company to travel with and I wouldn't change a thing about my time spent in Nepal.

Paddy
Devon, England

Nepal

I can honestly say that this trip is one of the best things I have ever done, the highlight being without doubt the trek to Everest base camp at the end! The trip is action packed, finding yourself riding down rapids, exploring the jungle on elephants, playing endless games with kids in an orphanage and of course seeing stunning scenery on the way to Everest base camp.
It's worth mentioning that the orphanage is actually for kids whose parents are in prison and is one of many set up by internationally renowned Indira ranamagar, a human rights activist. It is an understated but fantastic part of the trip, well worth putting your all into!
Chitwan national park is packed full of stuff to do, I didn't stop for a moment, finding myself being squirted water at by an elephant to being metres from a crocodile as we canoed down a river in the next.
The Everest base camp trek is of course the highlight. As I've mentioned the views we saw were incredible, at one point we even saw a rainbow over mount Nuptse. The bucket list moment of reaching Everest base camp is hard to beat and combined with all the other adventures this project has to offer it is one that I would happily recommend to anyone.

Hayley
Norwich, england
Nottingham Trent University

Nepal and Mount Everest expedition

This was an intense but thoroughly enjoyable 5 week programme. The programme included a week exploring Kathmandu and the local area, followed by Chitwan national park. 8 days was then spent at the orthanage which was one of the best weeks spent with the children. The last 2 weeks was spent trekking to the base camp of Mount Everest which was a truly incredible experience.

Perhaps spend less time in Kathmandu as the first week seemed quite long.

Sophie
Essex, England
Nottingham Trent University

Nepal

Over the five weeks we spent a week in Kathmandu, a few days in Chitwan, 9 days in an orphanage and then the remainder of the trip trekking to everest base camp. I had an amazing time and our leader dan was excellent, and made the trip so enjoyable. Everything was quite flexible to allow us to have the best time possible, and I'd definitely use Gapforce again, and recommend dan as a leader.

I would have a little longer in Chitwan.

Tom
Liverpool, England

The social mountain of the world

The program includes a project, a visit to chitwan national park and the trek to Everest base camp.
I stayed at a homestay in chitwan which was a fantastic village based well away from the tourist and backpackers route so I felt I saw the real Nepal.

When in town we stayed at a hostel that had lots of people from all round the world looking to explore the best mountain range in the world. This is a great chance to meet other people and there is extra time to explore what Katmandu has to offer.

Everest Base camp lives to to its name and has a great walk all the way. Going through rural villages, meeting other trekkers and drinking nepalese tea is just a part of the wonderful experience.

During the project phase you do not get an option of where you are based. I was luckly because the orphanage was very friendly. I met a few people who had been sent to orphanages that had terrible facilities and very bad owners who made volunteering hard.

Gapforce is a leading provider of structured Gap Year programs and summer opportunities overseas. The wide range of global adventures includes marine conservation, wildlife protection, community volunteering & healthcare, extreme expeditions, leadership training, working holidays, internships, sport coaching, ski instructor and leadership training.

For over