EF: Language Courses Abroad in Japan

EF: Language Courses Abroad in Japan

Learn Japanese among Tokyo’s soaring skyline and fast-paced culture. EF's interactive, participation based courses will enusre that you are not just learning the language, but living it too! Practice your with locals in the trendy shops and sushi bars of the Shibuya District – where our course center is located.

You decide when you would like to start studying, how long you'll be away, your course's intensity level - even how you'll focus your studies according to your own interests and needs. You can earn transferable college credit for courses four weeks and up.

Our Japanese courses are recognized by Eastern Washington University. Globalize your future, boost your international career and prepare for the JLPT Exam with a Japanese Language Diploma from EF.

Live in Canada? Visit our Canadian website instead.

Asia » Japan » Tokyo
Volunteer Abroad
Primary Language
Japanese
Age Max
Host family accommodations and a meal plan are included in the course price. Contact the Admissions Team for a personalized price quote.

You can be an absolute beginner or you can come into the program knowing Japanese. You take a placement test online and in person at the Tokyo School. When you do your in person placement test, you talk with a teacher about your answers. At that time you can tell the teacher how long you have studied Japanese or that you are an absolute beginner.
Hey Noah! You can earn college credit through our partner, Eastern Washington University. EF students typically earn 4 semester credits every 4-6 weeks. EF offer a few scholarship opportunities throughout the year, more information can be found on our site. Additionally, many of our students have funded 100% of their courses through outside scholarships and grants. Feel free to email us at [email protected]

Julius
The Netherlands

Experience of a lifetime

EF and just Tokyo in general keep suprising me, I feel like I'm learning an extreme amount while I'm still able to keep up. the only complaint I have is ha the classes could use a break in between them cause 80 min x 2 is hard for your concentration level. Japan itself is wonderful and the people too, I would love to go again! All the friends I made are awesome and we allread have plans to meet up outside of Japan, If you want to learn japanese while having a great time. Absolutely go here!

Breaks between classes

Magnus
Tokyo

After 6 weeks

I’m writing this review after going to ef-tokyo for 6 weeks. So far I’ve had a great time. Tokyo is such a huge city, so I’ve always had something to do. Everyday i’ve been here, I’ve gone to a different part of the city, or engaged in some kind of activity. The EF staff organize a lot of interesting and fun activities that I frequently joined, especially in the beginning. As I got more familiar with the city I started exploring more and more in my own and with friends. I’m staying with a host family, and the family lives rather far away, as it can take over an hour to get to school by train. However, the family is very friendly and talking Japanese with them is a good way to practice what we have learned in class. The classes are quiet good, with the general class covering most grammar and other classes that you can choose yourself covers more specific stuff. I currently have general classes, kanji, reading and shodo (calligraphy) classes. These classes suits me very well because one of my primary goals is to be able to read. I’m staying for 8 months total and I’m ver much looking forward to the rest of my stay here because I know that I won’t be bored and that I’ll learn a lot!

Most of the classes are well paced, but there are seemingly no good option for a more fast paced class. If you’re the type that learns quickly or spends a lot of time studying, you will rather easily find yourself ahead of the class. Meaning you’ll have to move classes quite often if your want to learn at your own pace. Also, depending on your classes, you might have quite short lunch brakes. The longest brake i have is 30 min which is barely enough time to go to the nearest food store (for this school it’s a regular conveniece store) and maybe eat I’ll have time to eat it if the line is not too long. Which is kind of a shame considering the schools very central location and all the good food options close by.

Serena

EF Tokyo experience

EF was a great experience during the three weeks I spent in Tokyo. I stayed in the residence and only had to take one train to get to the school. The staff was very welcoming and willing to set up activities, although I didn't participate in the majority of them. I was very lucky to find great friends during my stay who I still keep in contact with. However everyone was friendly so there's no problem making friends, which was one of my primary concerns when arriving my first day. The classes are engaging and in small numbers which I enjoyed. I was in the highest class in EF at the time but I wished there could've been a higher level class. The teachers are absolutely amazing and I keep in contact with my general teacher from the time. I absolutely loved the experience and I plan to come back to Japan next year.

have higher level classes, the highest was B-1-2 when the highest was C-3-3 so more challenging classes would be nice, however most students are beginners so it is understandable.

Keng
Minnesota
Normandale Community College

My Six Weeks in EF Tokyo

EF Tokyo was my first experience traveling and studying abroad. In being so, it has made a very strong initial impact to my life and new experiences.
Tokyo is a beautiful location and I was able to experience the beauty and breath-taking atmosphere of such a city through living and studying there. To make things even better, the location of the school is high up in the Shibuya Cross Tower which gives an amazing view of the city.
During my stay, I resided in a place called Mizonokuchi. It was one of the most friendly and inviting locations I have ever stayed in and being quite a reserved and quiet person, I easily adapted as there was rarely if ever any disturbances from the residence or native people who also resided here.
The Teachers and staff of EF Tokyo are some of the most respectful and kind people I've ever worked with in a school environment. They are eager and always available to help me in any situation I find myself in, no matter if it was school related or not. It feels that they genuinely care for your success and will take their time off to resolve your issues should any arise.

Japan is a great country of many respectful and kind people and EF Tokyo does it great justice by representing it as so throughout my experience. I would definitely recommend people come here if they want to experience a great study abroad program.

Classes can get difficult for many people who have just arrived, as they are placed in a class that may already be deep into their studies. It's not a big issue as it can easily be resolved by talking to the staff but can be a stress factor for people who may have anxiety of being in a different country as I was.

Jake
Texas
University of Texas- Dallas

A Perfect Month in Tokyo

I may have gotten extremely lucky, but I met some of the most kind and enjoyable people of my life during my time with EF. Anyone would be a little nervous going alone to Tokyo, however my first few days went just fine. It is common behavior to stick with the group that arrives on the same day as you. This group has the potential to create a family of students that one can rely on. A great way to kickstart relationship building. The events and classes helped my make friends that I could explore Japan with. I will never forget all of the friends I made. The classes were fun and not too demanding. It all depends on the amount of work you are willing to put into them. This course not only helped me learn a bit of a new language, but it increased my confidence when talking to people even after I had gotten back home. I have always wanted to have a taste of Japan and I love the language so this trip was perfect for me and even exceeded my expectations. I originally signed up for 3 weeks with EF but extended to 5 to learn more Japanese. I am so glad I made this decision. And because of this I was able to experience the homestay and the dorm life. Both have their own special attributes that does not make one better than the other. The homestay gave me a sense of Independence and a friend that I could always rely on. But I loved the residence because I was able to become closer with my classmates. The whole trip was amazing and I am glad I went with EF instead of simply studying some obscure subject abroad. I would have never been able to explore the country and make friends like I did with EF.

One of my friends took a week to explore Japan with a round trip train ticket that stopped in famous cities. Having this built into the course would be a great way to practice the language.

Tiffany

An Amazing Experience

During my high school years, I studied Japanese and fell in love with it, but I never found the chance to go to Japan. After graduation, I decided to travel to Japan and I wanted to study Japanese during the duration of my stay. I chose EF because my sister participated in another program by them, so I knew they were a trustworthy program. I was indeed satisfied with my experience.
I attended EF for three weeks and each day was just as fun as the day before. People from all over the world come to EF Tokyo to learn so I was just able to learn Japanese but also a little bit of other languages like German and French. During my three weeks at EF I feel like I made considerable progress in furthering my knowledge of Japanese. The classes were very hands-on and whenever I made a mistake I was never shamed or made fun of. Because of this I was able to learn at my own pace and progress much faster than I would in my classes at school. The teachers at EF are also very supportive and are eagerly willing to help. Thanks to them and the rest of the EF staff (especially those who planned excellent and fun activities for us) I was able to have the best first time in Japan. I wouldn't trade these three weeks for anything in the world and I truly wish I could have stayed longer.

I wish that higher level class could have been provided.

Rachel
Baltimore

An Unforgettable Summer in Tokyo

EF Tokyo was my home for 5 weeks this summer and it was an absolutely amazing experience. As someone with little to no prior knowledge of the Japanese language, going to a foreign country and living with a family that doesn't speak any English was pretty intimidating at first. It didn't take long for me to get completely used to living with my host family and it helped a lot that there were two other girls around my age living there, too. The school is in a really great location, just around the corner from Shibuya Crossing, Shibuya Station, and just a short walk away from Harajuku. Classes were engaging and the staff was very helpful if there was any confusion about what was going on. Another great part of EF is the friends you make there. People from all over the world come together at EF making connections for life. I hope I will have the opportunity to visit my new friends overseas and I will definitely return to Tokyo again!

I signed up for the Hiragana/Katakana SPIN class hoping it would be a fast paced class like the regular language classes that would allow me to get better at reading and writing. Throughout my five week stay, my class barely covered the entire Hiragana alphabet and only spent some time learning Katakana. The classes helped me recognize the letters easier, but only the few we covered.

Jules
Dallas

Organization

I love EF Tokyo. The people are fun and the city is great. However, there was a miscommunication regarding my gender. You see, I'm a girl, but EF has me in their records as a male. Therefore, my host family was very surprised to a see 16-year-old girl show up. Actually, I was going to be roomed with a guy there, but that didn't happen of course. It's still a story to tell, although it should not have happened. I'm great friends with my 19-year-old make roommate, though.

Better organization is necessary. I am not a boy.

Jannick
Haibach

End of my multilanguage year!

I've spent 12 weeks up in London, 12 weeks in Madrid and I couldn't think of a more amazing end to my adventure with EF than going to Tokyo for 8 weeks. The residence and the people living AND working there are friendly, helpful and funny. It's always nice to know that you have a safe place to come back after a day in such an amazing city! Walking around Shibuya with my sister is a dream come true and, after studying Japanese, understanding something is a very nice experience. Thank you EF for those unique moments, I'm definitely coming back to each and every city I've been to with you to visit my friends!

Oliver
New York

Good but only for a short term stay

My experience with EF has been really fun and great for experienceing Japanese culture. I have met many amazing people and made many amazing friends in my 6 months here in EF and I am very grateful for this. I really enjoyed my stay here in EF mostly for the friends I have made but I think EF Tokyo could of done better at teaching Japanese because sometimes the lessons are quite hard to understand.

Not combine lower classes with higher classes because there aren't enough students in the classes. Don't combine classes with people who can speak Japanese and people who can't speak Japanese.

Brian
Wilton, Connecticut

EF Tokyo

My experience here at EF Tokyo has been in many ways exactly what I was expecting, and in many ways slightly different. My classes here at the school have been mostly review of grammar that I have tried to learn on my own, but as expected, the ability to do intensive review in a classroom setting has also helped me being to fix some of the mistakes that I made while studying Japanese on my own this past year. At the same time, I have had a wonderful experience with my home stay family and my teachers, and the opportunity to converse daily has definitely helped me to improve. Unfortunately, five weeks has proved to be a far shorter period of time than I originally expected. I am highly considering the possibility of returning to Tokyo and EF this July, during a time of year where I have been informed that the environment around here is even more intensive. When I return I hope to perhaps be able to challenge myself a bit more in the classroom and spend time on my own reviewing.

All in all my experience has been positive. The staff, teachers, and my homestead family have made this a truly enjoyable experience and I am truly looking forward to the prospect of returning in the coming months.

Guillaume
Mazamet

EF Tokyo an amazing place to learn Japanese

Studying Japanese at EF Tokyo is great because we are studying in very small class which allow us to have the attention of the teacher when we need it. Plus, in such small classes the progress are faster and the cohesion between the student is better.
Moreover the school location is amazing, right in the center of Shibuya, a train station with which we are able to travel through the whole Tokyo really quickly and easily!

Kyla

Fun in the Shibuya Sun

My experience with EF was an amazing one. Both centers I communicated with (USA and Japan) were extremely helpful. No matter how many questions I had along the way (trust me, I had many) were answered in a courteous and timely manner.
Once I went abroad, I found EF to be very organized. My homestay was amazing, and the experience of being in Tokyo has given me memories I will keep forever.

I would include more immersive class time. I signed up for the Intensive course because I thought I would have more time for core classwork, but General and Intensive (steps up from Basic) both just include SPIN classes which are supplementary material classes. These classes could be helpful, but they could also be things like touring around Shibuya or (very) repetitive vocabulary classes.

I would recommend the Intensive course, but I wish EF's website was more clear about this distinction.

Amber
Massachusetts

I really enjoyed it

After staying in Japan for 2 weeks with EF, I was able to make a lot of friends from all over the world. I really enjoyed the different varieties of activities that were offered (ranging from festivals, and yukata experiences)

One thing I didn't like was how we had to somehow manage our classes with the activities, but other than that. I loved the freedom I had in Japan, yet I knew I was safe because of EF.

I would totally go back to EF Tokyo if I was given the opportunity.

I would change the class structure. It's too confusing for new students to be suddenly put into an old class without having any reviews. We manage to catch up (because the teacher's are so amazing), but it's really confusing and frustrating at first.

Timika
Chicago, Illinois

EF Tokyo - A wonderful experience for our daughter.

My 17 year old daughter just returned to the U.S. 3 days ago from her one month stay in Japan. She was enrolled in EF’s Japanese Language Intensive Course in Tokyo. She was a beginner and there were others in her class at the same level. She found the classes to be quite personalized and enjoyable. She learned quite a bit in 4 weeks. And she made friends with classmates from, Norway, German, Switzerland and many other places around the world. She also met many students who were taking EF’s Japanese Language Intensive Course for 4 weeks or more.

My daughter chose to live on her own, in the EF Residence called Comfort Tama Plaza, instead staying with a host family. She had a single room with a small balcony that overlooked the courtyard. She felt safe in the residence and in the neighborhood. She commuted every back and forth to class in Tokyo. The train station was only a 5-7 minute walk and the commute was approximately 20 minutes.

This is the first time that my daughter has been out of the country, and I must say, the EF travel coordinators were excellent when helping us plan her EF experience. They answered all of my questions the months leading up to her trip. They helped with transportation. (They picked her up from the airport and took her to the airport.) They even offered to book her flight. Also, they have an EF portal for students to meet one another and make connections before they arrive to Tokyo.
I highly recommend EF. It was a wonderful experience for my daughter.

The world is waiting. Learn a language abroad.

See the world, experience a new culture, and make friends from around the world as you prepare for your global future. EF's fun and interactive classes help you learn faster while living the language first hand. Earn