EF: Language Courses Abroad in Japan

EF: Language Courses Abroad in Japan

By EF International Language Centers Reviewer Verified Badge   Reviews (9)   97% Rating

Learn Japanese among Tokyo’s soaring skyline and fast-paced culture. EF's interactive, participation based courses will enusre that you are not just learning the language, but living it too! Practice your with locals in the trendy shops and sushi bars of the Shibuya District – where our course center is located.

You decide when you would like to start studying, how long you'll be away, your course's intensity level - even how you'll focus your studies according to your own interests and needs. You can earn transferable college credit for courses four weeks and up.

Our Japanese courses are recognized by Eastern Washington University. Globalize your future, boost your international career and prepare for the JLPT Exam with a Japanese Language Diploma from EF.

Live in Canada? Visit our Canadian website instead.

Asia » Japan » Tokyo
Primary Language
Japanese
Age Max
Cost Description
Host family accommodations and a meal plan are included in the course price. Contact the Admissions Team for a personalized price quote.

You can be an absolute beginner or you can come into the program knowing Japanese. You take a placement test online and in person at the Tokyo School. When you do your in person placement test, you talk with a teacher about your answers. At that time you can tell the teacher how long you have studied Japanese or that you are an absolute beginner.
Hey Noah! You can earn college credit through our partner, Eastern Washington University. EF students typically earn 4 semester credits every 4-6 weeks. EF offer a few scholarship opportunities throughout the year, more information can be found on our site. Additionally, many of our students have funded 100% of their courses through outside scholarships and grants. Feel free to email us at [email protected]...

Rachel
Baltimore

An Unforgettable Summer in Tokyo

EF Tokyo was my home for 5 weeks this summer and it was an absolutely amazing experience. As someone with little to no prior knowledge of the Japanese language, going to a foreign country and living with a family that doesn't speak any English was pretty intimidating at first. It didn't take long for me to get completely used to living with my host family and it helped a lot that there were two other girls around my age living there, too. The school is in a really great location, just around the corner from Shibuya Crossing, Shibuya Station, and just a short walk away from Harajuku. Classes were engaging and the staff was very helpful if there was any confusion about what was going on. Another great part of EF is the friends you make there. People from all over the world come together at EF making connections for life. I hope I will have the opportunity to visit my new friends overseas and I will definitely return to Tokyo again!

I signed up for the Hiragana/Katakana SPIN class hoping it would be a fast paced class like the regular language classes that would allow me to get better at reading and writing. Throughout my five week stay, my class barely covered the entire Hiragana alphabet and only spent some time learning Katakana. The classes helped me recognize the letters easier, but only the few we covered.

Jules
Dallas

Organization

I love EF Tokyo. The people are fun and the city is great. However, there was a miscommunication regarding my gender. You see, I'm a girl, but EF has me in their records as a male. Therefore, my host family was very surprised to a see 16-year-old girl show up. Actually, I was going to be roomed with a guy there, but that didn't happen of course. It's still a story to tell, although it should not have happened. I'm great friends with my 19-year-old make roommate, though.

Better organization is necessary. I am not a boy.

Jannick
Haibach

End of my multilanguage year!

I've spent 12 weeks up in London, 12 weeks in Madrid and I couldn't think of a more amazing end to my adventure with EF than going to Tokyo for 8 weeks. The residence and the people living AND working there are friendly, helpful and funny. It's always nice to know that you have a safe place to come back after a day in such an amazing city! Walking around Shibuya with my sister is a dream come true and, after studying Japanese, understanding something is a very nice experience. Thank you EF for those unique moments, I'm definitely coming back to each and every city I've been to with you to visit my friends!

Oliver
New York

Good but only for a short term stay

My experience with EF has been really fun and great for experienceing Japanese culture. I have met many amazing people and made many amazing friends in my 6 months here in EF and I am very grateful for this. I really enjoyed my stay here in EF mostly for the friends I have made but I think EF Tokyo could of done better at teaching Japanese because sometimes the lessons are quite hard to understand.

Not combine lower classes with higher classes because there aren't enough students in the classes. Don't combine classes with people who can speak Japanese and people who can't speak Japanese.

Brian
Wilton, Connecticut

EF Tokyo

My experience here at EF Tokyo has been in many ways exactly what I was expecting, and in many ways slightly different. My classes here at the school have been mostly review of grammar that I have tried to learn on my own, but as expected, the ability to do intensive review in a classroom setting has also helped me being to fix some of the mistakes that I made while studying Japanese on my own this past year. At the same time, I have had a wonderful experience with my home stay family and my teachers, and the opportunity to converse daily has definitely helped me to improve. Unfortunately, five weeks has proved to be a far shorter period of time than I originally expected. I am highly considering the possibility of returning to Tokyo and EF this July, during a time of year where I have been informed that the environment around here is even more intensive. When I return I hope to perhaps be able to challenge myself a bit more in the classroom and spend time on my own reviewing.

All in all my experience has been positive. The staff, teachers, and my homestead family have made this a truly enjoyable experience and I am truly looking forward to the prospect of returning in the coming months.

Guillaume
Mazamet

EF Tokyo an amazing place to learn Japanese

Studying Japanese at EF Tokyo is great because we are studying in very small class which allow us to have the attention of the teacher when we need it. Plus, in such small classes the progress are faster and the cohesion between the student is better.
Moreover the school location is amazing, right in the center of Shibuya, a train station with which we are able to travel through the whole Tokyo really quickly and easily!

Kyla

Fun in the Shibuya Sun

My experience with EF was an amazing one. Both centers I communicated with (USA and Japan) were extremely helpful. No matter how many questions I had along the way (trust me, I had many) were answered in a courteous and timely manner.
Once I went abroad, I found EF to be very organized. My homestay was amazing, and the experience of being in Tokyo has given me memories I will keep forever.

I would include more immersive class time. I signed up for the Intensive course because I thought I would have more time for core classwork, but General and Intensive (steps up from Basic) both just include SPIN classes which are supplementary material classes. These classes could be helpful, but they could also be things like touring around Shibuya or (very) repetitive vocabulary classes.

I would recommend the Intensive course, but I wish EF's website was more clear about this distinction.

Amber
Massachusetts

I really enjoyed it

After staying in Japan for 2 weeks with EF, I was able to make a lot of friends from all over the world. I really enjoyed the different varieties of activities that were offered (ranging from festivals, and yukata experiences)

One thing I didn't like was how we had to somehow manage our classes with the activities, but other than that. I loved the freedom I had in Japan, yet I knew I was safe because of EF.

I would totally go back to EF Tokyo if I was given the opportunity.

I would change the class structure. It's too confusing for new students to be suddenly put into an old class without having any reviews. We manage to catch up (because the teacher's are so amazing), but it's really confusing and frustrating at first.

Timika
Chicago, Illinois

EF Tokyo - A wonderful experience for our daughter.

My 17 year old daughter just returned to the U.S. 3 days ago from her one month stay in Japan. She was enrolled in EF’s Japanese Language Intensive Course in Tokyo. She was a beginner and there were others in her class at the same level. She found the classes to be quite personalized and enjoyable. She learned quite a bit in 4 weeks. And she made friends with classmates from, Norway, German, Switzerland and many other places around the world. She also met many students who were taking EF’s Japanese Language Intensive Course for 4 weeks or more.

My daughter chose to live on her own, in the EF Residence called Comfort Tama Plaza, instead staying with a host family. She had a single room with a small balcony that overlooked the courtyard. She felt safe in the residence and in the neighborhood. She commuted every back and forth to class in Tokyo. The train station was only a 5-7 minute walk and the commute was approximately 20 minutes.

This is the first time that my daughter has been out of the country, and I must say, the EF travel coordinators were excellent when helping us plan her EF experience. They answered all of my questions the months leading up to her trip. They helped with transportation. (They picked her up from the airport and took her to the airport.) They even offered to book her flight. Also, they have an EF portal for students to meet one another and make connections before they arrive to Tokyo.
I highly recommend EF. It was a wonderful experience for my daughter.

The world is waiting. Learn a language abroad.

See the world, experience a new culture, and make friends from around the world as you prepare for your global future. EF's fun and interactive classes help you learn faster while living the language first hand. Earn