Academic Year Abroad with EF in Spain

NEW SCHOOLS!

We are proud to announce that EF will open 2 new schools this fall! Learn Arabic in Dubai or Portuguese in Lisbon.

Travel to Spain for a semester or year and learn Spanish in one of the world's greatest cities. With centers in Madrid, Malaga, and Barcelona you will not only learn the language but also live it.

Join students from around the world on the ultimate study abroad experience. Achieve fluency, see the world, expand your international network - and launch your global future. Study for 6, 9 or 11 months and start in April, June, September or January. College credit and internship opportunities ensure you're always adding to your resume during the adventure of a lifetime.

EF’s Spanish schools are accredited by Instituto Cervantes, the world's leading organization promoting Spanish language education. Earn college credit through our partner in education, The University of Montana. Globalize your future, boost your international career and prepare for the DELE Exam with a Spanish Language Diploma from EF.

EF provides visa support for all student's requring a student visa.

• Study for a semester, academic year, or join a multi language year and study 2+ languages.
  • Start dates in January, September, April, & June.
  • Top activities include Bachata classes, bike tours of the city, surfing in Tarifia, and weekend excursions to Montserrat and Morocco.
  • Choose to reside with a local host family or in the EF Residence, an international dorm.
  • EF students hail from over 100 countries around the world.

Ronan

EF Malaga housing

I stayed six weeks with my host family and it was as if I stayed in my own home. After six weeks I developed a great relationship with the family and it was such a pleasant experience. I loved staying with the family because they treated me just as if I was their own. in the entirety of my trip I never once had a problem with my family or their home. they took excellent care of me, and I hope to return to Malaga and see them again.

happiness with the lil'boy
Maria

Academic Year abroad with EF Málaga

My experience in Màlaga was amazing. I learned a lot about life in general and, what is the most important, I learned a lot about myself what I did not know before. I improved my Spanish skills heaps and I enjoyed living in Màlaga so much, that I really do not want to go! My host mother treated me like really being part of the family and she made me feel so good. She helped me so much with everything, she showed me so much about myself and I know that she will continue being there when I need someone to talk to. I know that whenever I have the feeling that I need to talk to her, I just have to call her. She gave me an incredible feeling that made me feel so good. I am so happy I had this great opportunity to travel to Spain, to learn how is life over here, to get to know more about the different cultures, the different languages, about the different ways to live. To learn more about how to be happy and about how to be really "alive"! Málaga showed me that life definitely is a great gift, an opportunity that we have to take. Málaga remembered me that, YES, it definitely is possible to be happy. It definitely is possible to enjoy life and I was remembered, with every single sunstroke, how it feels beeing alive. I really do not have the right words to express my feelings connected with Málaga, because for me it is something really special. For me it is more than simply The Sunny Coast, for me it was my way to find back to myself again. So that´s why I am staying :-). During my great experience here I did everything possible to find a way to stay longer and finally I found a Job as Au-Pair, so I can stay a bit longer, what really makes me happy. I love being here. I love the life over here and I know for sure that I will return. I will come back or expressed with better words - I never will leave totally, because a part of my heart will stay here for ever.
Thank you, for everything. I really appreciate what you did for me - Màlaga.

Love,
Lizi

Clara

Incredible experience with EF Málaga

My experience in Málaga was incredible, when I came here I knew this city would be an adventure. If I have to tell something about my family I have just one thing: marvelous. Now I consider my host mom as my second mom because she was always there when I needed her and we had a really good time with her daughter and her grandaughter.
About the school, the ambience is really good the staff is helping when you need it, in class the teacher is always trying to do the best for us, I mean we learn playing games or something like that. So, for the people who have a problems with concentration in class it's a good solution to enjoy and learn at school.

Johannes

Academic year abroad with EF Malaga

Overall I´ve had a great experience. I have learnt alot and I would defenetly recomend this program to anyone who wants to learn a new languange or improve their skills in a language they already know. I think the school is really nice, its located in a nice area and its easy to get to the city centre. The teachers are really nice and helpful. I stayed in a host family, and it was a really good experience for me.

Eleonora

Academic Year abroad with EF Malaga

I came to Malaga in december and at first I didn't know what to expect and how my experience was going to be... immidiatly I met people (from all ower the world) that make me feel comfortable, those people are now my friends. I have learned a new lenguage and also I can say that I know a new culture, "spanish culture" which has different food, different values and different approaches with different people.
In malaga I also met the best teachers in all over the world (Dori and Carmen ) full of energy and charm, that always helped the students, moreover I enjoy the weather which is really good in Malaga .

Kasander

Málaga Experience

EF Málaga is a perfect place to learn spanish and to make memories that you will never forget. The school is in a cozy neighbourhood where the people are friendly and you can find shops and restaurants very close by. One of the best things is of course the beach that is only five minutes away by foot, and there is always life by the beach.

The course is really good and you really learn a lot of the language in a short time. The progression is very noticeable and that is very motivating for me and that makes me work hard.

The social part of the program is of course very important, and you will make friends that you will never forget! There are also a lot of fun activities to do here, and I really recommend travelling around to nearby cities and places, there is so much to see!

I feel the program is designed for students that stay for a long time, so I really recommend staying for at least some months to get the best out of the experience.
Sofie Emilie

Academic year abroad with EF Malaga

My experience in EF Malaga was amazing. My mother española is a lovely lady, whom I now love very much. Some things I really liked was the simple life. But I did not like the siestas. That was really annoying. I also liked the trips to other cities and villages in Spain, like Sevilla, Valencia, The smurf town, Nerja, Benalmadena, Fuengirola, Torremolinos, and the trip to Marocco. Also the christmas lights was really amazing and a cool experience.

Amanda

Abroad with EF Málaga

My academic year abroad with EF Málaga have been amazing. I have gone from just knowing a few words in spanish to being able to understand and talk with locals without any problem. I have made friends all over the world, which I'm sure I'll keep for life. You get really close with the people and friends here, as you live together and hang out all the time, both in school and in the free time. Also, living in Málaga while studying makes you "live the culture" and you learn a lot of new things that at least for me was new. It's very possible that the culture in your own country and the culture in Spain is different, so it's a change suddenly living there, but a positive change. I really liked that the staff in the school treat you like family, the bond in the classes are really strong, the teachers are really flexible and in the end you have a feeling of a second family in Spain. I recommend it strongly!

Rosa

Academic Year abroad with EF Malaga

It was an amazing experience. I learned a lot about the culture of Spain, other cultures, other people and about myself. I made so many nice friends from all over the world, for example from Norway, Italy, Belgium, the US, France and of course from the Netherlands. I am sure that i will keep in touch with all of them and that they will be friends for life. The school is a really nice place, a beautiful building filled with nice people. The teachers and the staff are always ready to help you with no matter what.

Sam

Life experience

When I started my course in January 2017 in EF Madrid, I thought it was going to be a difficult experience for me because it was one of the first times I left home without my parents. After arriving there, I quickly realized that this was going to be a great trip or even one of the best trips I ever did in my life. Indeed, I met great people throughout my journey in the school and in the city (people from all around the world that I still go see when I have the time). The EF staff is also amazing, everybody is there for you and everybody is really nice. If you are a shy person and you want to change that, I really recommend this school.
I was suppose to stay there for only 3 months but at the end I stayed 5 months there, I wanted to stay even longer but I couldn't due to personal things back in France but if I had a choice I would of stayed there.
I thank EF Madrid and EF Lyon for making a big part of my year really memorable and I would go back again and relive this experience if I could.

Sometimes there're some students that don't really want to learn the language even if they made the choice to go to EF. So I think that the school should try to inform themselves on that student and try to make them want to learn the language and not make their trip only a "little unmemorable vacation". Everybody deserves to
Henry

Becoming a Madrileño

Hola Madrileños del futuro,

If you are considering traveling to a vibrant, wonderful, and indsutrious city, Madrid is the right place for you! In addition to immersing yourself in a new culture and language, Madrid caters to every type of person. This city is home to some of the best soccer teams (Real Madrid and Atletico), breath-taking museums, lucious parks, and great cafes.

As an EF student, you have all the support in the world. At school the curriculum is very interactive, instead of a traditional lecture. The teachers are here to help your Spanish improve every day. Although school is a great place to practice your Español, speaking with local Madrileños is extremely beneficial. Whether you are staying with a host family or at the EF Residence, I would strongly encourage you to engage with the locals. Including EF students and staff, everyone in Madrid is very approachable and nice.

My experience in a homestay has been superb. My host-mom cooks delicious traditional Spanish dishes, and I can always rely on here when I need help. The transit system here is very user-friendly. Many students take the metro to get to school and experience little difficult. If you are wanting to travel outside the city, there are regional buses that go to Segovia, Toledo, and Aranjuez for cheap prices. I have only been here for roughly two weeks, and my experience has been awesome!

Gracias,
Quique

How to save your money! It is best to go to the super- market instead of buying lunch everyday. Also, check out the free activities.
Victoria

The experience of a lifetime in Madrid

I am currently studying Spanish in the EF school of Madrid. For those of you who are still doubting the benefits of coming here, let me turn them to dust.

This school has been, so far, the best experience of my life. Not only did I meet unforgettable people but ,while doing so, I also got to learn one of the most spread languages of the world.

Moreover, learning Spanish in the capital city is, according to me, the best choice one can make. Indeed, Madrid is the heart of Spain and therefore offers all the extracurricular activities you could ever imagine. Not to say, the amazingly nice staff members will for sure do everything they can to make of your stay here the best time of your life.

Jana

My experience with EF Málaga

It seems like I couldn't have chosen a better place to study Spanish than the EF School in Málaga. The beautiful school with residence is located in the neighorhood of Pedregalejo, 5 minutes away from the beach and about 20 minutes away from Málagas city center, which is stunningly beautiful and exciting by the way. I had an amazing time there and would recommend this exact school to anyone who really wants to learn Spanish and have fun whilst doing that. The teachers at this school are the best, they really want you to learn the language, improve your skills and encourage you to speak Spanish outside of the classrooms as well.

The staff in general is really great.

The Residence Advisors and the other people taking care of the residence (if you choose to stay there like I did) are always around and help you with whatever problem you have.

The people that take care of the academics stuff always make sure you're in the right level and feel comfortable.
The extremely dedicated Activities Coordinator makes sure you're also having a good time outside of school with activities like visiting museums or going surfing but also helps you if you want to e.g. play the guitar or find a football team you can train with and keeps you updated about events in the city that you can go to.

They just know how hard it can be for someone to leave family and friends behind to study in a foreign country on their own so they try to make your experience as enjoyable and rewarding as it could be.

All together I can say that I really had the best time ever at EF Málaga, I improved my Spanish, met amazing and interesting people, made friends from all over the world and experience the southern Spanish way of living...

Ragnhild

My experience in Málaga

I chose to study spanish in Málaga because it's a beautiful city and it's not that far from my country, Norway. Education First Málaga is a school where you learn spanish. The teachers care about you and want to help you learn the language and about the spanish culture. You can choose to live at the school or in a host family. I chose a host family because I wanted to see how they live in spain, and also try new food. The school is only 20 minutes on the bus from the city centre. A normal day strarts at 09:00-13:20 or 12:00-16:40. We learn spanish by playing games, group work and grammar. The teaching is always in spanish, so if we don't understand a word they explain it in spanish or show us a picture or we google it. In the afternoon you can do different activities like horse riding, sports at the beach, kayaking and more. It's different every week and in the weekends you can travel to Marocco, Portugal, Sevilla, Cadiz, Granada, or wherever you want. I recomend Education First Málaga if you want to learn spanish and like the beach and a city that's not to big. I've leared a lot and the malageños are very open and welcoming.

The program could be improved if the students would try to speak spanish all the time, not only in class but also after school. The teacher are encoruaging us a lot, and we learn faster if we try to speak the lenguage all the time.
Evan

My experience in Spain

I came to Spain for a year before college to play football (soccer) at a level higher than that availible in the US for 18 year olds. In order to obtain a Student Visa and stay in the country I had to take 20 hours of classes a week and chose to do this at Education First Barcelona. Being on a team of only Spanish speakers, the obvious choice was to study Spanish. At the same time to stay in touch with my future major, I took two online classes from MIT in physics and calculus. On top of that to keep me even more busy, I worked as a model in Barcelona through a local agency. A normal day for me included waking up at 7:30 am and essentially being on the move doing something until 12:30 am. That was my goal, to be busy and through it I believe I have gotten a ton out of my experiences. I have gotten better at soccer, depending on your definition, become fluent in Spanish, and above all else lived on my own as an 18 year old far far away from just about everything I know. All the pieces lined up exteremely well and I am sure that I have developed more individually over this year than any of my previous years and I highly recommend challengeing yourself as I have.

I have found that kids who come to Barcelona with the idea to only study Spanish end up not having as full an experience. I understand that I am biased, but I believe that if the program were to improve, it would be with finding ways for kids to pursue and find hobbies outside of school, with clubs or other programs. I have found that piece outside of school with soccer and I feel like other students would have more fun, if they had that piece. This is also as much up to the student as it is to the program.

About EF International Language Campuses

The world is waiting. Learn a language abroad.

See the world, experience a new culture, and make friends from around the world as you prepare for your global future. EF's fun and interactive classes help you learn faster while living the language...