Incredible Gap Year Program for All in Tokyo

Intern with host brothers in field of yellow flowers
Intern with host brothers in field of yellow flowers
Team of interns from Japan, Korea, Mexico, Thailand, and USA
Team of interns from Japan, Korea, Mexico, Thailand, and USA

Part international work experience, part cultural ambassadorship, part language immersion, part homestay exchange program - rolled together into the adventure of a life-time. You will be immersed in the Japanese language, and other languages too, through LEX / Hippo Family Club language clubs. You may also assist with exchange programs, nature camps or English camps, language club promotion and operation, cultural presentations, and administrative work. You will be supported always by your host family and LEX staff. The LEX World Internship Project (WIP) is humanistic, flexible, and can be customized to your needs. We expect you to be flexible, motivated, positive, and open to all languages and all people.

• Work as a team with interns from around the world.
  • Gain fluency in Japanese and other languages through multilingual immersion-style language clubs in a fun, positive environment.
  • Learn about ancient and contemporary Japanese culture first-hand.
  • Become a member of a Japanese family.
  • Experience magical moments in every day life.

Daniel

The Best Year of My Life

The year I spent in Tokyo was definitely the best year of my life. I wanted my gap year to be special, and I got MORE than I expected by interning in Japan with LEX. I felt safe, comfortable, and most of all, engaged the entire time I was there.

The best thing about the program was the many friends that I made. I went to Japan in 2012, but I still stay in contact with many of my LEX-Japan friends in 2019! Needless to say, interning in Japan opened so many doors for me. I had internship experience, lots of new friends, learned to read and speak Japanese, and traveled all over Japan and even to some neighboring countries! I wholeheartedly recommend this program to anyone interested in Japan, languages, and an overall wonderful experience abroad.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I could do it again, I would tell myself not to eat so much! Or to find a gym. Japanese food is delicious, and my face and waist showed that I was eating very well by my second month in Japan.
Joy

Becoming Part of a Family

I landed in Tokyo the fall after graduating from college feeling both nervous and excited, not realizing that from the moment I stepped into the arrival hall and met my colleagues that I had become part of a huge family. LEX Language Project offers a unique opportunity for interns to meet people of all ages and from all walks of life with an office that was constantly abuzz with both local and international visitors. Members of the organization have a curiosity and warmth for the world and the people in it that is incredibly contagious, and has certainly given me a brighter and more optimistic outlook. Their nurturing and supportive approach to language acquisition and cultural exchange has made me more open, and helped me build the courage to make that first step in forging a connection. I loved my time with LEX and am incredibly grateful for the opportunities I've had to build lasting friendships with people not only from Japan, but also from all over the world.

Flexibility and openness is key! The office is constantly buzzing with events and influxes of people, so you might find yourself roped into spontaneous workshops and activities when you least expect it. Don't let that throw you off though -- LEX members are all super supportive, and ready to help you out whenever you feel a little lost. Just relax, go with the flow, and see where that takes you. Often, it's on a brand new adventure that will brighten your day!
Madison

A Life-Changing Year

I went to Japan for one year with LEX Language Project after I had graduated from college. I had planned to only be in Japan for the year before returning to the States, but I ended up loving the program and my life there so much that I applied for a full time staff position and stayed for an extra two years! During the LEX Internship you have the opportunity to live with a variety of host families. Each family was unique, but they were all incredibly supportive, and welcomed me as a true family member. Working at the LEX office in Tokyo was also a wonderful experience. My Japanese colleagues were supportive and excited to have me there. I worked with and become great friends with a team of international interns from Mexico, South Korea, Taiwan, France and Thailand. Thanks to LEX's unique, multilingual mindset, I was able to not only gain fluency in Japanese, but also explore other languages, such as Spanish, Korean, and Mandarin Chinese! I am planning to go to graduate school this fall, and want to work at International Student Services at a university. I feel that my internship with LEX has made me more flexible, creative, and competent in cross-cultural situations. My compassion and empathy for those who go to live in a foreign country has grown, and I feel better prepared to serve international students in the future.

Embrace your inner child and open your heart! The LEX multilingual language learning activities are comprised of games, songs, and dances that you participate in at weekly language clubs along with LEX members of all ages. If you are able to relax, have fun, and not worry too much about making mistakes, you will have a great time, and learn a lot. Take this opportunity to try a new language you never even thought about learning! LEX members are incredibly warm and open, and are excited to hear about your own language and culture, as well as your language discoveries during the internship, no matter how small they may seem.