The Leap | Scuba + Conservation + Teach + Sailing in Madagascar

The Leap | Scuba + Conservation + Teach + Sailing in Madagascar

Join a leap team heading out to Madagascar to help with marine and lemur conservation, and teaching conversational English, before sailing around remote islands to meet indigenous communities and rare lemur species.

Programs vary from 3 - 10 weeks and depart throughout the year.

A 10 week program would include all of the following:

Scuba and Marine Conservation
Scuba train up to advanced level, diving 5 days a week, after which you will be equiped to head out with marine scientists to assess the health of the reef system.

Forest Conservation
Trek into the jungle to study the diversity, populations and habitat of the lemurs, lizards and insects.

Teach Conversational English
To the local community on the remote islands.

Sailing
Hop on board a 50ft boat to meet remote islands communities, explore untouched forests and search for rare wildlife.

Get in touch for more details.

• Sailing around remote islands
  • Studying Rare lemur species
  • Meeting local communities
  • Living the dream on a tropical island
  • Learning to scuba amoungst tropical fish and turtles
Africa » Madagascar » Nosy Komba
Primary Language
Application Fee
$2000.00
Deposit
All food and accommodation.
Scuba course.
10 days sailing.
Airport transfer.
Project Leaders.
24/7 safety back up.

Heidi

Simply a once in a life time experience

Where do I begin? Having already completed 5 months living and skiing in the Austrian Alps and interrailing through Europe this year I found it hard to believe that any trip could top it all. My travels to Madagascar however , did just that. I spent four weeks volunteering for MRCI (Madagascar research conservation institute) and two weeks travelling round the most remote islands by boat. Living on camp at turtle cove was so much fun, especially meeting like minded people from all over the world. Playing cards with a beer in hand was the best way to finish a day spent hiking through the forest, identifying rare species and conserving endangered habitats. Then the boat trip in a nutshell : snorkelling, camping , parties , hiking . The most amazing experience. I can't thank all of the staff working for the Leap enough for guiding me through organising and making my travels to such a beautiful remote place possible. THANK YOU!

Alexandra
2 months old
Staffordshire, UK
Loughborough University

Madagascar (5 weeks)

I'll start with the boat trip. Honestly, it was definitely the highlight of my trip. I had such an amazing time, the 10 days could not have gone faster. Each day we did something different and new, and were able to experience so much. It was a great opportunity to be able to travel round some of the different islands of Madagascar and to visit the mainland too. I felt that this really gave us a feel of Madagascar, letting us experience more of the Malagasy culture and seeing more of what Madagascar has to offer. We were definitely treated a lot on the boat: the cooking was delicious, with large portions..we even got desserts too! There was rum punch, we also had a really fun bonfire. The trip was a great bonding experience, bringing everyone closer together, and Kyle and Emma were just so amazing, I don't think I could have asked for a better pair of staff to come with us; they were like the mom and dad of the group, but also were so much fun to have around. I will never forget the marvellous time I spent on 'The Spirit Of Malala'.

The living conditions are very basic, but that's part pf the fun of it, and it makes you appreciate all the luxuries of back home, as this is what many people in these countries live like. I really enjoyed the variety of the programmes and how each day was different. Everyone was very friendly and supportive on camp. I was able to experience so much during my time in Madagascar, and its something I'll never forget. Teaching and working with the community was such a rewarding experience, as you know that you are helping out those less fortunate than you. Seeing how some of the Malagasy lived made me realise that I shouldn't take anything for granted, and I have definitely come back home with a different mind frame. I feel that I have grown as a person, both in my confidence and in my attitude towards life. It is important to embrace everything that life has to offer, and not to miss out on any opportunities, as you regret what you don't do, not what you do do.

There's not much more that can be improved, may just more on camp activities and a more variety of things to do on camp.

Peter
Bath, United Kingdom
Cardiff University

Tsara be- Highly recommended!!

I recently spent the past 6 weeks volunteering with the Leap on Nosy Komba and can honestly say it was the best and most unforgettable experience of my life. I met so many great people, saw fascinating animals and made some great memories that will stay with me forever.

On arrival I was absolutely amazed by the camp and accommodation which far exceeded my expectations. Huts are scattered amongst the boulders and trees on the hillside which overlook the beautiful views of Turtle Cove. The huts are furnished with comfortable bunk beds and are lit by solar powered lights.

The Leap prioritise your safety and concerns, which is perfect for first time travellers like myself, they provide support unlike other volunteer companies which can be quite comforting when being in a new environment. At the same time you are given the freedom to enjoy the experience independently.

Some of my greatest memories include snorkelling with a huge turtle through the coral reefs on Nosy Tankelli. Seeing many of the geckos and chameleons that we had learned during forest program on the night walk at the top of Nosy Komba island, including my personal favourite the Uroplatus Henkeli. Another of my favourite memories had to be playing beach football in Be village where we got to know the local Malagasy children and teenagers, also conversing with them in Malagasy which we had learned during the teaching program.

To anyone contemplating travelling to Madagascar with The Leap do not hesitate, just go for it, it will be the best experience of your life- I cannot thank the staff and volunteers enough!!

The only suggestion I would make is perhaps a little bit more structure and organisation within the construction program to ensure that volunteers always have a major project to work on.

Taylor

A trip to remember

I could tell from the lively group chat that this group was going to be a great one, and I was not disappointed. Experiencing Madagascar was epic, but what I really cherish from my 10 weeks there are the friends I gained during my time there. For me, Madagascar was a great program that was made better by my companions. I'd highly recommend this program to anyone pursuing a life-changing gap year experience. The lemurs are neat too ;)

I cannot think of any ways in which to improve the program

Amelia
Fareham

Madagascar-a trip of a lifetime

Madagascar was a dream. The country is absolutely stunning and the people are so friendly. The marine and forest conservation aspects were fantastic and I learnt so much from the amazing diversity of nature out there. Teaching however, even though I thought it would be my least favourite aspect of the trip, was so inspiring and just so much fun. When you're trying to teach a class of 60 the body parts using 'head shoulders knees and toes' it can get rather manic, but seeing the kids grasp it and ask for more when the bell rings (not running from class like we do back here) really makes you feel like you're making a difference! Wouldn't chance the experience for anything!

Amy
Leicester, United Kingdom

10 weeks in Madagascar

Nearly 5 weeks ago I got back from an amazing 10 weeks in Madagscar! From snorkelling with whale sharks and turtles, to teaching local kids and adults English, as well as collecting data on local species such as Black Lemurs, Crested Drongos, and Green Pigeons, it was truly an experience I won't forget! The Leap is great to be able to talk to people who've been before, have comfort in the fact you won't be travelling there alone, and have a solid group of people to share the memories with, who you become incredibly close with - lots of reunions have already happened! The Leap also kept everyone back home updated, made sure we were safe, and had fun! In the MRCI (Madagascar Research and Conversation Institute) camp there were volunteers from other organisations as well as members of staff who are there to support you! I made so many amazing memories and met so many wonderful, friendly people, locals and volunteers, and am grateful to the Leap for giving me this opportunity! Interested in Madagascar? You should definitely go!

Better communication between the camp and the Leap, some facts were slightly incorrect but easily rectified!

Zoe
Bournemouth

Incredible Experience

My trip to Madagascar was a truly enriching experience that I will never forget. The Leap were great at organising the trip and were very helpful with questions always answered. Going with The Leap means that you can happily go by yourself knowing you will be thrown together with a group of likeminded people that are around your age (we were all between 17-21). You'll be staying at the Madagascar Research and Conservation Institute (MRCI) when you aren't living on the boat, which means you'll be leaving with about 50 other volunteers that came with other organisations. The camp is really nice with a main area, lots of 6 bed huts and 4 bathrooms. The food is pretty basic- rice, beans and occasionally meat and salad- but it's all really tasty and there are never complaints. Nosy Komba is an incredibly beautiful island and the locals are some of the friendliest people I have ever met. The remote-ness of it was possibly my favourite thing as you really do feel so far away from life at home which is so relaxing. I was teaching while I was out there which was fantastic as you learn the ropes really quickly and all the kids are so eager to learn and befriend you. I had some incredible experiences in Madagascar and really made friends for life and can only recommend you stay for as long as possible- (my short 6 weeks really wasn't enough!). The boat trip is equally if not more incredible but very different, as it's more of an island hopping holiday which allows you to really see what Madagascar has to offer while also allowing you to form great bonds with the rest of your group. I really can't recommend it more highly! Thanks for a great trip.

The Leap has been leading the field in overseas volunteering and career enhancing internships since 2002, providing award winning programs across Africa, Asia and South America. They are the first UK company to be accredited by the American Gap Association, about which they are very