Madagascar: Island of Diversity (Summer Program)

Madagascar: Island of Diversity (Summer Program)

Madagascar: the eighth continent. Stunningly diverse and colossal in size, more than 80% of the plant and animal species in Madagascar are not found anywhere else in the world. The Malagasy people are similarly unique. Over the past 2,000 years, immigrants have paddled dugout canoes across the Indian Ocean and floated rafts across the Mozambique Channel, blending the influences of Southeast Asia and Africa into a distinct Malagasy identity. Over the course of the summer, this summer program for 15-17 year olds will uncover the diverse narratives of the Malagasy people, as well as the diverse species that inhabit this incredible island.

We offer comprehensive, personal home visits so that we can answer your questions in person. One of our expert staff members will present on our program options and share stories from their own formative Where There Be Dragons program. To request a home visit in less than 2 minutes, fill out this form.

Africa » Madagascar
Hotel
Madagascar: Island of Diversity's land cost for a six week program is $7,250. Flight costs for this program are estimated at $2,180. Need-based scholarships are available.
Varanasi, Bodhgaya, Calcutta, Amritsar, McLeod Ganj, Rishikesh, Haridwar

Alexandra
Houston

My Dragons Experience with Madagascar: Island of Diversity

My dragons experience was incredible!! Truly! I wouldn't give up my trip for anything, the values I learned and my overall experience means a lot to me. I went to Madagascar when I was sixteen years old in the year 2016, and it was the first time I had ever been to Africa. I grew up so much over my trip and learned a lot about leadership and gratitude, not to mention how much fun we all had. Although I was nervous at first, the nerves soon melted away as I became closer to my new family on the dragons trip. We traveled to multiple national parks where we woke up with the Lemurs and saw them leaping through the trees. We stayed in home stay family where we all bonded with the culture in Madagascar and all got to explore the community life. I recommend this course greatly to those who are looking to explore the island of diversity and learn about the place and about yourself. It was a blast!!

This program could be improved by traveling in a more timely manner, not rushing to get to destinations. That is my only critique.

Trevor
Evergreen, CO
University of North Carolina- Wilmington

The Best Time of my Life

The Madagascar program through Where There Be Dragons was the most transformative and amazing experience EVER!! I am a huge animal and nature fan and that is the reason that I chose Madagascar. Nearly 80% of the species on Madagascar live nowhere else in the world which provides for once in a lifetime wildlife viewing experiences, and they truly are extraordinary experiences. However, the part of the trip that changed me the most was the homestays. They are absolutely the most impactful part of the trip. The people of Madagascar are the happiest, friendliest, and most welcoming people I have ever met. We did 1 week long homestays and within hours it feels as if you have been living there forever. When we did our homestay in Mangily within 30 minutes I was already playing games with my family and their friends. If you care about the environment, human rights, want to learn more about the Malagasy culture, or just go somewhere none of your friends have been (or will likely ever go) the Island of Diversity is the ideal choice for all of those.

Longer so we can go more places throughout all of Madagascar.

Dragons programs are authentic, rugged and profound learning adventures that expose the beautiful and complex realities of the countries in which we travel. Featuring extended itineraries, Dragons programs encourage deep immersion into strikingly different physical and cultural landscapes, combining the best in experiential education, travel,