• Nepal

Primary Language
Age Max

Pricing

Program fee inclusions:
All in-country travel and transport; All accommodation; 3 meals a day (excluding snacks); All activities, excursions, entry fees, permits and adventure travel as described in the itinerary; Week-long volunteer community service project and Nepali language immersion; Informal lectures from resident experts on conservation and eco-tourism; Experienced program leader/s and local guides; Online image library for your program. Refer information booklet for international flight options.

*Nepal visa is issued on arrival at the airport in Kathmandu
What's Included
Accommodation Activities Domestic Airfare Airport Transfers Equipment Meals Park Fees Tour Guide Transportation Visa
What's Not Included
Airfare Travel Insurance
Oct 19, 2021
Dec 25, 2016

On this extraordinary gap year program, you will immerse yourself in the rich cultural heritage and dramatically diverse environments of Nepal.

Imagine soaring Himalayan peaks, fluttering prayer flags, big skies and stunning Buddhist monasteries. Nepal is known for its rugged and spectacular mountain environment combined with its sparse population and stunning historical sites. This makes any overland journey across the Nepalese countryside both a spiritual and epic travel experience. On this gap year semester, you will travel across the roof-top of the world, through incredible landscapes, amazing historic sites, and a visit to Everest Base Camp.

Experience Nepali language and culture immersion while home-staying in a rural village and volunteering on a valuable community development project, trek the Annapurna Circuit in the shadow of Himalayan giants, study yoga, meditation and Buddhism while living at a small monastery, and raft one of the world’s top river journeys.

Program Highlights

• Engage with the local Nepali culture through immersion, and community development projects.
  • 16-days trekking the Annapurna Circuit, one of the worlds top treks through spectacular Himalayan mountains and villages in Annapurna National Park
  • 3-day yoga, meditation and Buddhism immersion at a wonderful monastery near Kathmandu
  • 7-day journey across the rooftop of the world in the Himalayas, Nepal
  • 6-day rafting journey on the Kali Gandaki - one of the holiest rivers in Nepal, it traverses deep gorges, passing waterfalls, villages and temples.

Program Dates

Application Deadline
Program Dates

Piper

Best. Semester. Ever!

I was looking for a trip that was going to be a diverse and authentic experience. Without a doubt, I found it! Nepal and Tibet are truly incredible places, and coming home, I feel like I really got to connect with each of them and live like a Nepali. I can't even count the times that I ended up laughing and singing and discussing life with locals. I felt so lucky every day, and so grateful for every experience, from trekking to rafting to getting lost in the cities to paragliding to yoga to biking and every other wonderful moment.

The Pacific Discovery staff was knowledgeable to the greatest extent, teaching us everything from the very basics of travel to the pressing social and political issues in Nepal. Our leaders trusted us and supported us completely, and they were my friends above all.

I'm coming home with fantastic memories, a boatload of new friends, and a whole network of Nepali family that would accept me back with open arms if I ever decided to go back.

Before I left for Nepal, I was uncomfortable with ordering a pizza on the phone, and dying to find the self-confidence to change that. Yesterday, I spent an hour on the phone with my state Congressman. As cliche as it sounds, the confidence I found in Nepal will be life-changing.

Overall, the best decision I've ever made!

I've really got nothing here. Keep it up!
Sophie

Best decision I've ever made!

I was doing a 9-5 internship and I quickly became bored with sitting in front of a computer for 8 hours. During my breaks I would research different gap programs online because I knew I just needed a change. On my phone screen I had a quote that said "The three c's in life: choice, chance, change. You need to make a choice to take a chance if you want anything in life to change." That is how I would basically sum up my decision to go on the Nepal and Tibet program. It was completely out of my comfort zone but it made me a more confident person by showing me the strengths that I never knew I had. Every day was a different, and an exciting experience and I I woke up every day feeling so lucky. It's hard to pick a favorite experience, but a moment I truly appreciated was being able to attend a movie showing in a Nepali village up in the mountains where we sat on yak fur seats and were served tea and popcorn. Getting through that fourteen day trek was challenging but it was the most rewarding feeling when we reached the day of the pass. The people (leaders, students, guides, families in the village) made the experience so much more enjoyable. If you are thinking about going but aren't sure, I would definitely tell you to remember the three c's and go for it!!!

Keep on doing what you're doing!
Read my full story
Christie

This trip will change your life...

I couldn't have asked for a more authentic overseas adventure. It incorporated everything I was looking for - hiking, volunteering, biking, yoga, rafting, a canyon swing, paragliding and cultural immersion - all with the support, companionship and guidance of an amazing group and the PD team. I was lucky enough to be involved in the maiden voyage and the PD crew handled all hiccups with patience and professionalism. The experience was rewarding and educational, providing me with greater insight into myself and a deeper understanding of how others experience the world. This trip has definitely given me the travel bug and a strong desire to continue visiting and immersing myself in other cultures and countries. Thank you Rachel and Scott for a truly life changing experience x

Like any program, there are always hiccups along the way. I wouldn't change any of them, they were all learning experiences and gave me a greater understanding of what's involved in organising and executing a trip of this magnitude. My hat goes off to you Scott & Rachel!
Madeline

For the Daring and Curious Ones

Through my time in Nepal and Tibet with PD I learned about foreign cultures, the lifestyle of travel, and my place in the world. Reading the itinerary before departing gave me the idea that this trip would be packed with new things to do, but I had no idea how well planned the whole experience was. The PD team had us working with the most well-traveled, friendly guides in the business, to the most interesting monasteries, holy sites, and monuments there were to see. Our adventure guides for the river rafting, trekking and (optional) bungee jump made me feel safe and educated about what I was doing.

As a travel destination, Nepal is definitely among the best. It's underrated, meaning that the tea houses you sleep at during the 2 week trek aren't packed with European tourists, they're a very honest portrayal of the local culture.

If I could change anything I'd lengthen the time we stayed in Tibet for. I know it is not guaranteed that all of the participants get visas, but once we were there I did not want to leave so soon! 10 days flew by.
Read my full story
Conner

An amazing experience abroad

Day to day was different based on different parts of the country we were in but we always had upbeat and energetic staff that encouraged and participated in exciting activities. I loved my time in Nepal and Tibet with Pacific Discovery!

The only thing that I can think of changing would be the amount of down time we had, I think that we had too much and I personally am someone that needs more structure to ensure every moment is taken advantage of.
J

Clever Bloody Kiwis

I participated in Pacific Discovery's maiden Tibet/Nepal trip.
The Crew themselves at Pacific Discovery are HUGELY experienced, capable and patient of any and all problems that can arise when you travel beyond the edge of your comfort zone.
The trip was pretty great, educational and as fulfilling an experience as I'd hoped it would be, for myself and the crew at Pacific Discovery as well. There were some hiccups, (everyone on the trip had a little trouble acclimating to the local cuisine, and we had to deal with the 'delightful' bureaucracy of the Tibetan [Chinese] Government at one point) but ironing out kinks is something I know the Pacific Discovery folks to be good at.
10/10 would do again.

The maiden program did suffer a few flaws; being at the whim of the Tibetan Government for our mid-trip flights, lacking variety of activities during the Tibetan leg of the trip.
Kara

Dream Come True

I can't say enough good things when it comes to Pacific Discovery. Now that I've gone through the whole process of looking into the program, signing up, getting ready, traveling through Nepal and Tibet!!! and coming home.. it is so hard to imagine any other way to see an area of our world. They were extremely helpful, knowledgable, personable throughout the process- there for you at any time, wanting nothing but the best experience for their participants. I take so much satisfaction in the knowledge I gained as a traveler, and about the countries I saw. I can honestly say that I KNOW Nepal, not that I saw it as a tourist, but that I experienced all that it has to offer as if a Nepali myself. The experiences we had on this trip would be impossible for someone to have without Pacific Discovery's planning, and connections to people in the area. Every day felt like a dream; I will forever remember my trip as one the best decisions I've made in my entire life, and am thankful beyond words that Rachel and Scott have created Pacific Discovery and continue to offer these life-changing opportunities.

Reyndon

Experience of a Lifetime!!

This trip was truly life changing. With just over two months of constant adventures and travel, it is truly impossible to imagine how many lasting memories and friendships can be made through this program.

After researching this program for over two years, I finally made it a reality and it still exceeded all my expectations. No other program incorporates so many different experiences into one program.

The Pacific Discovery team is committed to each participant and goes above and beyond again and again to create the the best experience to everyone involved. I would truly recommend this trip to anyone looking for a life changing experience.