Nepal & Tibet Semester - Cultural Immersion, Service Learning, Adventure

Nepal & Tibet Semester - Cultural Immersion, Service Learning, Adventure

$500 scholarship for Nepal & Tibet Semester Spring 2018 applicants
The Pacific Discovery Nepal & Tibet Semester is an extraordinary educational travel semester. You'll experience Nepali language and cultural immersion while home-staying in a rural village and volunteering on a valuable community development project. Trek the Annapurna Circuit, in the shadow of Himalayan giants through Annapurna National Park. Study yoga, meditation and Tibetan Buddhism while living at a small monastery. Raft one of the worlds top river journeys down the Kali Gandaki River. Travel overland across the roof-top of the world between Kathmandu and Lhasa, the spiritual heart of Tibet, through incredible landscapes, amazing historic sites, and visit Everest Base Camp.

Discover your passion and purpose. Join us for an impactful, overland journey thought the cultural heart of the Himalayas: Nepal and Tibet.

10-week program for ages 18-24. Fall and Spring departures. Scholarships and academic credit available.

Develop a global perspective, independence, leadership and a sense of self through outdoor expeditions, service learning projects, and authentic cultural immersion. Pacific Discovery programs foster empathy for other cultures, ethical and sustainable travel practices, and awareness of international issues. Students leave with a deepened sense of their identity, passion, and purpose.

Pacific Discovery is a global leader in experiential education, offering inspiring summer, semester, and gap year programs abroad since 2001, and is an inaugural member of the American Gap Association.

- Visit our website to request a detailed information booklet for this program –

• - Engage with the local Nepali culture through immersion, homestays and community development projects.
  • - Volunteer in service learning projects in driven by the needs of the communities we visit.
  • - Develop skills in independent travel, yoga, meditation, leadership, trekking, sustainability, conservation and rafting
  • - Explore the Himalayas highlights – Mt. Everest Base Camp, Kathmandu, monasteries, the Kali Gandaki River, the World Peace Pagoda, world heritage sites and national parks
  • - Experience transformative personal growth that pushes students to reflect and ask questions of themselves, working towards a deeper understanding of their values, identity, passions and purpose.
Asia » Nepal
Age Max
Application Fee
Deposit
Program fee inclusions:
Tibet visa and permits*; All in-country travel and transport; All accommodation; More than two thirds of meals (see ‘meals’ above); All activities, excursions, entry fees, permits and adventure travel as described in the itinerary; Week-long volunteer community service project and Nepali language immersion; Informal lectures from resident experts on conservation and eco-tourism; Experienced program leader/s and local guides; Online image library for your program. Refer information booklet for international flight options. *Nepal visa is issued on arrival at the airport in Kathmandu
Tibet, China

Piper
Boulder, CO

Best. Semester. Ever!

I was looking for a trip that was going to be a diverse and authentic experience. Without a doubt, I found it! Nepal and Tibet are truly incredible places, and coming home, I feel like I really got to connect with each of them and live like a Nepali. I can't even count the times that I ended up laughing and singing and discussing life with locals. I felt so lucky every day, and so grateful for every experience, from trekking to rafting to getting lost in the cities to paragliding to yoga to biking and every other wonderful moment.

The Pacific Discovery staff was knowledgeable to the greatest extent, teaching us everything from the very basics of travel to the pressing social and political issues in Nepal. Our leaders trusted us and supported us completely, and they were my friends above all.

I'm coming home with fantastic memories, a boatload of new friends, and a whole network of Nepali family that would accept me back with open arms if I ever decided to go back.

Before I left for Nepal, I was uncomfortable with ordering a pizza on the phone, and dying to find the self-confidence to change that. Yesterday, I spent an hour on the phone with my state Congressman. As cliche as it sounds, the confidence I found in Nepal will be life-changing.

Overall, the best decision I've ever made!

I've really got nothing here. Keep it up!

Sophie

Best decision I've ever made!

I was doing a 9-5 internship and I quickly became bored with sitting in front of a computer for 8 hours. During my breaks I would research different gap programs online because I knew I just needed a change. On my phone screen I had a quote that said "The three c's in life: choice, chance, change. You need to make a choice to take a chance if you want anything in life to change." That is how I would basically sum up my decision to go on the Nepal and Tibet program. It was completely out of my comfort zone but it made me a more confident person by showing me the strengths that I never knew I had. Every day was a different, and an exciting experience and I I woke up every day feeling so lucky. It's hard to pick a favorite experience, but a moment I truly appreciated was being able to attend a movie showing in a Nepali village up in the mountains where we sat on yak fur seats and were served tea and popcorn. Getting through that fourteen day trek was challenging but it was the most rewarding feeling when we reached the day of the pass. The people (leaders, students, guides, families in the village) made the experience so much more enjoyable. If you are thinking about going but aren't sure, I would definitely tell you to remember the three c's and go for it!!!

Keep on doing what you're doing!

Christie
Australia
University of Canberra

This trip will change your life...

I couldn't have asked for a more authentic overseas adventure. It incorporated everything I was looking for - hiking, volunteering, biking, yoga, rafting, a canyon swing, paragliding and cultural immersion - all with the support, companionship and guidance of an amazing group and the PD team. I was lucky enough to be involved in the maiden voyage and the PD crew handled all hiccups with patience and professionalism. The experience was rewarding and educational, providing me with greater insight into myself and a deeper understanding of how others experience the world. This trip has definitely given me the travel bug and a strong desire to continue visiting and immersing myself in other cultures and countries. Thank you Rachel and Scott for a truly life changing experience x

Like any program, there are always hiccups along the way. I wouldn't change any of them, they were all learning experiences and gave me a greater understanding of what's involved in organising and executing a trip of this magnitude. My hat goes off to you Scott & Rachel!

Madeline
Milwaukee, WI

For the Daring and Curious Ones

Through my time in Nepal and Tibet with PD I learned about foreign cultures, the lifestyle of travel, and my place in the world. Reading the itinerary before departing gave me the idea that this trip would be packed with new things to do, but I had no idea how well planned the whole experience was. The PD team had us working with the most well-traveled, friendly guides in the business, to the most interesting monasteries, holy sites, and monuments there were to see. Our adventure guides for the river rafting, trekking and (optional) bungee jump made me feel safe and educated about what I was doing.

As a travel destination, Nepal is definitely among the best. It's underrated, meaning that the tea houses you sleep at during the 2 week trek aren't packed with European tourists, they're a very honest portrayal of the local culture.

If I could change anything I'd lengthen the time we stayed in Tibet for. I know it is not guaranteed that all of the participants get visas, but once we were there I did not want to leave so soon! 10 days flew by.

Conner
San Diego, California
University of Maryland

An amazing experience abroad

Day to day was different based on different parts of the country we were in but we always had upbeat and energetic staff that encouraged and participated in exciting activities. I loved my time in Nepal and Tibet with Pacific Discovery!

The only thing that I can think of changing would be the amount of down time we had, I think that we had too much and I personally am someone that needs more structure to ensure every moment is taken advantage of.

J
Australia, ACT

Clever Bloody Kiwis

I participated in Pacific Discovery's maiden Tibet/Nepal trip.
The Crew themselves at Pacific Discovery are HUGELY experienced, capable and patient of any and all problems that can arise when you travel beyond the edge of your comfort zone.
The trip was pretty great, educational and as fulfilling an experience as I'd hoped it would be, for myself and the crew at Pacific Discovery as well. There were some hiccups, (everyone on the trip had a little trouble acclimating to the local cuisine, and we had to deal with the 'delightful' bureaucracy of the Tibetan [Chinese] Government at one point) but ironing out kinks is something I know the Pacific Discovery folks to be good at.
10/10 would do again.

The maiden program did suffer a few flaws; being at the whim of the Tibetan Government for our mid-trip flights, lacking variety of activities during the Tibetan leg of the trip.

Kara
North Carolina
University of North Carolina- Charlotte

Dream Come True

I can't say enough good things when it comes to Pacific Discovery. Now that I've gone through the whole process of looking into the program, signing up, getting ready, traveling through Nepal and Tibet!!! and coming home.. it is so hard to imagine any other way to see an area of our world. They were extremely helpful, knowledgable, personable throughout the process- there for you at any time, wanting nothing but the best experience for their participants. I take so much satisfaction in the knowledge I gained as a traveler, and about the countries I saw. I can honestly say that I KNOW Nepal, not that I saw it as a tourist, but that I experienced all that it has to offer as if a Nepali myself. The experiences we had on this trip would be impossible for someone to have without Pacific Discovery's planning, and connections to people in the area. Every day felt like a dream; I will forever remember my trip as one the best decisions I've made in my entire life, and am thankful beyond words that Rachel and Scott have created Pacific Discovery and continue to offer these life-changing opportunities.

Reyndon
University of Central Missouri

Experience of a Lifetime!!

This trip was truly life changing. With just over two months of constant adventures and travel, it is truly impossible to imagine how many lasting memories and friendships can be made through this program.

After researching this program for over two years, I finally made it a reality and it still exceeded all my expectations. No other program incorporates so many different experiences into one program.

The Pacific Discovery team is committed to each participant and goes above and beyond again and again to create the the best experience to everyone involved. I would truly recommend this trip to anyone looking for a life changing experience.

Pacific Discovery gap year, semester and summer programs are experiential education programs, suitable for high school graduates, university students and recent graduates, developed with a focus on six core components: educational travel, service learning, cultural and language immersion, sustainable adventure travel, outdoors and wilderness exploration,