Pacific Discovery | New Zealand & Fiji Summer Program

Pacific Discovery | New Zealand & Fiji Summer Program

$500 scholarship for Nepal & Tibet Semester Spring 2018 applicants
The Pacific Discovery Nepal & Tibet Semester is an extraordinary educational travel semester. You'll experience Nepali language and cultural immersion while home-staying in a rural village and volunteering on a valuable community development project. Trek the Annapurna Circuit, in the shadow of Himalayan giants through Annapurna National Park. Study yoga, meditation and Tibetan Buddhism while living at a small monastery. Raft one of the worlds top river journeys down the Kali Gandaki River. Travel overland across the roof-top of the world between Kathmandu and Lhasa, the spiritual heart of Tibet, through incredible landscapes, amazing historic sites, and visit Everest Base Camp.

Experience the local lifestyle, explore incredible landscapes, and challenge yourself on our four week adventure through New Zealand and Fiji.

Develop your knowledge and passion for conservation work by participating in rewarding service-learning projects some of New Zealand’s most stunning national parks.

Let your adventurous spirit run wild by swimming with dolphins, mountain-biking, rafting, climbing, caving, exploring hot springs, snorkeling and scuba diving.

Bask in the beauty of the Yasawa Islands in Fiji and you will understand why Fijians are some of the happiest people on the planet. Learn about the powerful New Zealand Maori history and culture, and contrast this with Fijian indigenous culture.

This unique program gives you the opportunity to learn an enormous amount about both countries cultural and ecological histories, how they intersect and contrast, and how this has shaped each countries flora, fauna, and people.

Oceania » Fiji
Age Max
Application Fee
Deposit
Program fee inclusions:
Visa; All in-country travel and transport; All accommodation; Most meals; 2 weeks of volunteer conservation projects; Lectures from resident experts on conservation and eco-tourism; All excursions and activities as described in the itinerary (unless noted as optional); Experienced program leader/s; Online image library for your program. Refer information booklet for international flight options.

Marina
Tulsa OK
Oklahoma Christian University

Go with Pacific Discovery!

"Be the hummingbird" - do our best, however small it may seem, in kaitiakitanga (guardianship) of the earth. This was our mantra while planting a seemingly endless parade of flax, cabbage trees, and manuka at Mimiwhangata Coastal Park and Abel Tasman National Park. Though we were hot, cold, tired, wet, and ready to quit at times, I wouldn't trade those days for anything. The New Zealand and Fiji Summer B 2016 program included two weeks of outdoor conservation work, one week of adventures in New Zealand (caving, skydiving, mountain biking, sea kayaking, hiking, ocean swimming, visiting Hobbiton), and one week of relaxing & reflecting time in Fiji (cave swimming, snorkeling, scuba diving, hiking, crafting, fishing). The program felt like a year's worth of personal growth squeezed into one month. I came away with a broader sense of purpose in life, a deeper appreciation of people, and keener insights on life. I wholeheartedly recommend Pacific Discovery to everyone. It is a meaningful, well-thought-out, enriching, and educational program.

Marissa
Pelham, New Hampshire
University of New Hampshire

Experience for a lifetime

I had dreamed of studying abroad all throughout university. Unfortunately, my curriculum did not allow for that to happen. I did not want to miss out on an adventure of a lifetime, so I started my research. Not only did Pacific Discovery accept college graduates, they had a volunteer conservation component that I was not finding anywhere else. I was the oldest participant in my program, but I forgot all about that within the first few days. This program allowed us to grow and bond together as a group right away by throwing us into volunteer work (with absolutely no access to wireless internet-an added bonus). We were completely immersed in New Zealand culture for at least half the program, talking to people and completing tasks that a tourist could never imagine. Of course, there was still the outdoor adventure component of the program as well. This program had me doing things I would never imagine myself doing. I went mountain biking, caving, shark diving, skydiving - you name it. I developed such a sense of adventure and confidence that I never thought I could have. I went into the program having little confidence as a result of my life turning a 180. I came out of it ready to take on the world. I am ready to take risks, go places I never would before, talk to people I would normally avoid, rely less on my phone, and make sure every day has adventure. When I got back from my program I immediately moved to another state on my own to start a dream internship. Before the program I was a nervous mess, but after it I couldn't wait to take on another adventure completely on my own. Pacific Discovery not only gave me the experience of a lifetime, but they helped me grow in ways I never thought possible. I even got a tattoo to commemorate the experience! I would recommend Pacific Discovery to anyone who wants adventure. I am proof that the adventure doesn't end with college - it only begins. Thank you Pacific Discovery!

Julia
Stratford, Ontario
University of Western Ontario

Life changing experience

Being a young adult is a really hard time in anyone's life. Most of us don't really know what we want to do with the rest of our lives, or who we are and want to be. This trip was not only and amazing journey on the other sode of the world, but also a journey of self-discovery. I learned so much about who I am, what I like to do, and what I want to do with the rest of my life. The trip was full of fun and adventure, from skydiving to mountain biking, but some of my favourite times were planting trees and feeling like I was making a difference in the world, or just hanging out with some of my new friends that will last a lifetime. I promise you that you will not regret going on this trip, it was the most amazing experience of my life so far.

Lauren
Winchester
College of William and Mary

New Zealand and Fiji Summer 2016

Pacific Discovery changed my life for the better. Through countless activities such as skydiving, camping in untouched wilderness, and spelunking through dark caves, I learned so much about myself and the people around me. Lou and Andy were fantastic group leaders who immediately made you feel like their own family. The views of New Zealand and Fiji were undoubtedly beautiful but would have been less impactful if not experienced alongside the cultural learning facilitated by Pacific Discovery and our wonderful group leaders. We learned a great amount about the places we traveled to and we got to do so many activities in a short amount of time. Before I went on the trip, I researched a lot of different travel companies and I have to say that Pacific Discovery has an impeccably organized itinerary compared to other groups.
It's difficult to say in words how transformative this trip was for me, but it is an experience I would recommend to anyone and everyone. The people are wonderful and the places you get to go will leave you speechless.
Lauren Hoak
College of William and Mary

Suma

PD is the way to travel!

Skydiving, swimming with wild dolphins in the ocean, and planting flax on the protected Maud Island in Marlborough Sounds for a week are just a few of the many highlights of my travels with Pacific Discovery this summer. Traveling with PD is an absolutely amazing experience and I wish I could relive my travels in New Zealand and Fiji over & over again! PD is a very unique program, and really focuses on providing the best experience for the individual as well as the group as a whole— by the end of the short month of traveling, we felt like a happy little traveling family. The food & accommodations were wonderful, and the company was even better. From the application process to landing on US ground again, PD staff made sure that we had a smooth, safe journey the entire way. They have been running these programs for years now, so they know what they’re doing & make sure that you’re prepared (and that PD is a good match for what you’re looking for)! We had the perfect balance of volunteer work/activites so that it felt like we set out on a new adventure every day. All of us gained so much knowledge about ourselves, our group members, and the local people/cultures that we visited. This experience was truly incredible and rewarding!

Tess
Leeds
University of Liverpool

The most amazing trip

I went on the New Zealand, Fiji trip this summer and it was absolutely incredible, so much better than I could have expected! I managed to do so many activities, which I look back on and can't believe that I actually did, such as caving, scuba diving, skydiving, swimming with wild dolphins, and white water rafting. The leaders were so encouraging, positive, knowledgeable and just great! We visited so many amazing places and I made so many memories that I will always remember, and I am so glad that I got to experience it all with such a great group of people.
I've only been home a week and I miss it and wish I was back already, honestly couldn't recommend Pacific Discovery enough!

Janelle
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania

Best Decision You Will Ever Make!

I can't say enough good things about this program. If you choose to go on this trip I promise you won't regret a single penny. This trip was an amazing experience. From the moment I stepped into the countries of New Zealand and Fiji I was blown away by the scenery. Every stop we made provided us with even more breathtaking views. I remember sitting at the top of one of the rolling hills of Mimiwhangata, watching the sunset over the ocean with my group, thinking, "Life can't get much better than this." This trip pushed me to do all the things I'd never thought I'd do like skydiving, whitewater rafting, scuba diving, and swimming in an underwater cave. Not only did I get to go on all these amazing adventures, but I also gained a family. I never would've thought that in one month you could become so close, to what was, a group of strangers. Saying goodbye to them was one of the hardest things I ever had to do, but now I have family all over the world! If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask Pacific Discovery. All their staff is extremely helpful throughout the entire process. This trip by far exceeded any expectations I had and gave me one of the best summer's of my life!

The only way this program could be improved is, if somehow, it could be longer.

Brianna
Michigan
Eastern Michigan University

Most amazing trip you'll ever go on

I can't tell you enough how amazing Pacific Discovery is. I went on the New Zealand and Fiji summer program and it was literally the best month of my entire life. You get so much for your money and build friendships that last long after the trip is over. My favorite parts were visiting Hobbiton and white water rafting. I went by myself but came back with best friends that I still keep in contact with and visit. I never felt unsafe, it's very well organized but you still get plenty of free time for yourself. Fiji is beautiful as well and a great addition to the trip. The volunteer work is done in beautiful places and you get to really give back to the earth and learn about conservation. I really like how you get to travel both islands of New Zealand and in addition to all the fun adventure stuff you still get to visit museums and other places to learn more about New Zealand's culture. NZ is definitely the most beautiful and amazing place I have ever been and I'm so happy I went with Pacific Discovery. They are a genuine company and the program leaders are so great at what they do.

Literally this program is perfect.

Elle
Elon, North Carolina
Elon University

NZ and Fiji Summer Program

This program exceeded my expectations! Something I will always look back on and smile about is our week working in Mimiwhangata National Park in New Zealand. This was early on in our program and we worked for a week planting trees and helping around the farm owners in the area. The park was a peninsula with beautiful rolling hills and I don't think there was a day we didn't see a rainbow. There was no cell service so our nights were spent playing games and bonding around the fire. It allowed the group of 13 strangers to become a Pacific Discovery family faster than imaginable. I will forever be thankful for the experience this program gave me and friendships formed. I would recommend this to anyone looking for an adventure of a lifetime.

Madison
Buffalo, New York
Daemen College

New Zealand and Fiji summer program July-August 2015

I came on this trip to get a mental break from life and school and it was truly the best month of my life. I learned so much about life and about myself. The program was rich with adventure and opportunities that I never imagined myself doing: from bungee jumping and sky diving to getting my scuba diving license in Fiji and diving with bull sharks. I never expected the trip that I got. It was amazing meeting up with 13 strangers and by the end of the program I gained a family. Saying goodbye to everyone was one of the hardest things I've had to do. This program didn't only push me out of my comfort zone, it gave me a new outlook on life and made me realize and embrace taking advantage of every second of the day. If you are looking for a trip that will give you a break from school, stress, and anything else this is the trip to go on. I wish words could describe how thankful I am that I decided to go on this trip.

That it was longer.

Rachelle
Seattle, WA
Seattle University

New Zealand/Fiji Review

This trip was exactly what I was looking for. We did a ton of fun outdoor activities like rock climbing, cave exploring (with glow worms and cute guides), white water rafting down twenty foot waterfalls, scuba diving, snorkeling, hiking, zorbing, kayaking, and mountain biking. We visited Hobbiton, a bird sanctuary, and some hot springs. We also did a lot of educational touring. We visited a Maori museum and sampled ingredients that indigenous peoples used as food sources and for medicinal purposes. We learned a lot about the culture. Additionally, we were able to visit cities like Auckland, Wellington, and Nelson. My favorite thing to do in the cities was explore and visit the farmer's markets. One of the great things about this trip was that once we settled into a new place, there would be a lot of time to explore off on our own. This meant that we were creating our own experiences and bonding with others in the group. We also did a lot of conservation work, planting thousands of trees and relocating flax plants. It was hard work but it was satisfying and it paid off. Our housing ranged from simple, white walled rooms with creaky beds on a farm, to beautiful lodges complete with a basketball court, pool, and hot tub. It is totally worth the trip. Our trip leader and his wife were the founders of Pacific Discovery, and they gave us very valuable life-lessons, mainly that achieving a sustainable lifestyle is completely possible, and you don't have to give up a comfortable lifestyle to do so. You don't have to be a mountain man to go green. I loved this trip so much, and I definitely plan on returning, and maybe even pursue a living here.

If I could change one thing, I would not spend the last week in Fiji, unless we more coordinated activities such as more scuba diving, kayaking, skin diving, snorkeling, etc. I would spend more time in New Zealand.

Kayla
Blacksburg, VA
Virginia Tech

Excellent Program to Start Exploring

This program was an excellent opportunity for me to branch out and relax. After I graduated high school, I was planning on starting college early in the summer. However, my parents offered to pay for the flights for a summer adventure and I needed to take a break from academics. This program was one of the best ways I've ever spent my summer because it exciting, fun, and a learning experience.

The program timing was excellent because we got the opportunity to stay at the beautiful parks for a week and a few days in the cities, but still stopped by some great tourist sites along the way (Hobbiton being my favorite). I would recommend this program to anyone who wants to travel, but is nervous about all the planning and language barriers. The staff are welcoming and it requires very little planning on your part.

Jack
Denver, Colorado

It's fun

Save yourself from a boring summer. Instead spend a month visiting unbelievable places with unbelievable people. Not only do you get to go see cool places but you get to see them in the way they're ment to. The group leader knew the country like the back of his hand and did an outstanding job of sharing everything the country had too offer and made it incredibly easy to have fun. It doesn't matter what kind of person you are everyone is easy to get along with. In fact it's almost impossible not to have fun. Because everyone around you; they're looking to have fun too. Bringing the phrase "good vibes" to a whole new level.

Melissa
Tallahassee, FL
Florida State University

Best Summer of my Life

I have always wanted to go to New Zealand, and I am so glad I went there with Pacific Discovery. I was nervous about not knowing anyone and I had never been out of the country before. However, once I got on the plane with my group and we landed in New Zealand that didn't matter anymore. All of a sudden I was surrounded by people where just like me. We all came from different backgrounds and experiences, but we also had a lot in common. From day 1 the PD staff brought us together and made us a family. Regardless of hardships we always came through.

That was the best part about this trip. Every experience from planting trees, to Maori cultural experiences, to snorkeling in Fiji we all shared it together. This trip was the time of my life. I got to live my dream and make a difference while doing it. If I had one recommendation to give anyone who wants to do something like this it would be "Just go." I'll never forget the people I met on this trip or the amazing adventures we had.

I can't think of anything I would change. Any difficulties that I encountered were things that made me grow, the challenges I faced were road blocks that I had to overcome. It was never anything to do with the set up of the program.

Kristen
New York, New York
Amherst College

One of the Best (and Impulsive) Decisions of My Life

Going on a Pacific Discovery trip was one of the best decisions of my life. I went on the summer program to New Zealand/Fiji right after I graduated college. I was having a really hard time with the fact that I would not be going back to school in September for the first time in my life. It was a security that would soon no longer be a reality for me. My friends were all spreading out, I was jobless, I was heartbroken, and I was just not in a great place.

While this trip didn't give me all of the answers, it gave me clarity on a lot of aspects of my life. I didn't think I had much else left to learn after college, but I grew and by the end of the trip, I found myself in a really good place again. I felt like I could breathe and love the world once more. I highly recommend Pacific Discovery to anybody who is graduating college or anybody who needs to just get out.

I went skydiving, scuba diving, planted 3500 + trees, white water rafting, caving, rock climbing...it was an adventure. I'd do it all again.

I honestly can't think of much to be improved. I felt very safe the whole time and my trip leader was incredibly organized and knowledgable. I can't emphasize how badly I want to do this all again.

Pacific Discovery gap year, semester and summer programs are experiential education programs, suitable for high school graduates, university students and recent graduates, developed with a focus on six core components: educational travel, service learning, cultural and language immersion, sustainable adventure travel, outdoors and wilderness exploration,