Pacific Discovery | New Zealand & Fiji Summer Program

Andy at the lookout point of Maud Island
Morning hike at Blue Lagoon Resort in Fiji

Experience the local lifestyle, explore incredible landscapes, and challenge yourself on our four week adventure through New Zealand and Fiji.

Develop your knowledge and passion for conservation work by participating in rewarding service-learning projects some of New Zealand’s most stunning national parks.

Let your adventurous spirit run wild by swimming with dolphins, mountain-biking, rafting, climbing, caving, exploring hot springs, snorkeling and scuba diving.

Bask in the beauty of the Yasawa Islands in Fiji and you will understand why Fijians are some of the happiest people on the planet. Learn about the powerful New Zealand Maori history and culture, and contrast this with Fijian indigenous culture.

This unique program gives you the opportunity to learn an enormous amount about both countries cultural and ecological histories, how they intersect and contrast, and how this has shaped each countries flora, fauna, and people.

sam

AMAZING

I went on the NZ and Fiji program in July and it was amazing. It was super varied from relaxing on the beach in Fiji to going to hobbition in NZ. We also did scuba diving, rafting, kayaking, mountain biking, we even went to castaway island. It was only 4 weeks long and I wish it was longer! We had a smaller group which made the trip really feel like a family and for me, made the trip even better. I learnt so much about myself and think the others on the program did too. We really became so close in such a short time, i feel like I've known everyone for years. I recommend this trip to anyone that wants to see NZ and Fiji and travel with others the same age as you, you will make lifelong friends and memory’s you will never forget. I will never forget this trip.

Marina

Go with Pacific Discovery!

"Be the hummingbird" - do our best, however small it may seem, in kaitiakitanga (guardianship) of the earth. This was our mantra while planting a seemingly endless parade of flax, cabbage trees, and manuka at Mimiwhangata Coastal Park and Abel Tasman National Park. Though we were hot, cold, tired, wet, and ready to quit at times, I wouldn't trade those days for anything. The New Zealand and Fiji Summer B 2016 program included two weeks of outdoor conservation work, one week of adventures in New Zealand (caving, skydiving, mountain biking, sea kayaking, hiking, ocean swimming, visiting Hobbiton), and one week of relaxing & reflecting time in Fiji (cave swimming, snorkeling, scuba diving, hiking, crafting, fishing). The program felt like a year's worth of personal growth squeezed into one month. I came away with a broader sense of purpose in life, a deeper appreciation of people, and keener insights on life. I wholeheartedly recommend Pacific Discovery to everyone. It is a meaningful, well-thought-out, enriching, and educational program.

Marissa

Experience for a lifetime

I had dreamed of studying abroad all throughout university. Unfortunately, my curriculum did not allow for that to happen. I did not want to miss out on an adventure of a lifetime, so I started my research. Not only did Pacific Discovery accept college graduates, they had a volunteer conservation component that I was not finding anywhere else. I was the oldest participant in my program, but I forgot all about that within the first few days. This program allowed us to grow and bond together as a group right away by throwing us into volunteer work (with absolutely no access to wireless internet-an added bonus). We were completely immersed in New Zealand culture for at least half the program, talking to people and completing tasks that a tourist could never imagine. Of course, there was still the outdoor adventure component of the program as well. This program had me doing things I would never imagine myself doing. I went mountain biking, caving, shark diving, skydiving - you name it. I developed such a sense of adventure and confidence that I never thought I could have. I went into the program having little confidence as a result of my life turning a 180. I came out of it ready to take on the world. I am ready to take risks, go places I never would before, talk to people I would normally avoid, rely less on my phone, and make sure every day has adventure. When I got back from my program I immediately moved to another state on my own to start a dream internship. Before the program I was a nervous mess, but after it I couldn't wait to take on another adventure completely on my own. Pacific Discovery not only gave me the experience of a lifetime, but they helped me grow in ways I never thought possible. I even got a tattoo to commemorate the experience! I would recommend Pacific Discovery to anyone who wants adventure. I am proof that the adventure doesn't end with college - it only begins. Thank you Pacific Discovery!

Julia

Life changing experience

Being a young adult is a really hard time in anyone's life. Most of us don't really know what we want to do with the rest of our lives, or who we are and want to be. This trip was not only and amazing journey on the other sode of the world, but also a journey of self-discovery. I learned so much about who I am, what I like to do, and what I want to do with the rest of my life. The trip was full of fun and adventure, from skydiving to mountain biking, but some of my favourite times were planting trees and feeling like I was making a difference in the world, or just hanging out with some of my new friends that will last a lifetime. I promise you that you will not regret going on this trip, it was the most amazing experience of my life so far.

Lauren

New Zealand and Fiji Summer 2016

Pacific Discovery changed my life for the better. Through countless activities such as skydiving, camping in untouched wilderness, and spelunking through dark caves, I learned so much about myself and the people around me. Lou and Andy were fantastic group leaders who immediately made you feel like their own family. The views of New Zealand and Fiji were undoubtedly beautiful but would have been less impactful if not experienced alongside the cultural learning facilitated by Pacific Discovery and our wonderful group leaders. We learned a great amount about the places we traveled to and we got to do so many activities in a short amount of time. Before I went on the trip, I researched a lot of different travel companies and I have to say that Pacific Discovery has an impeccably organized itinerary compared to other groups.
It's difficult to say in words how transformative this trip was for me, but it is an experience I would recommend to anyone and everyone. The people are wonderful and the places you get to go will leave you speechless.
Lauren Hoak
College of William and Mary

Suma

PD is the way to travel!

Skydiving, swimming with wild dolphins in the ocean, and planting flax on the protected Maud Island in Marlborough Sounds for a week are just a few of the many highlights of my travels with Pacific Discovery this summer. Traveling with PD is an absolutely amazing experience and I wish I could relive my travels in New Zealand and Fiji over & over again! PD is a very unique program, and really focuses on providing the best experience for the individual as well as the group as a whole— by the end of the short month of traveling, we felt like a happy little traveling family. The food & accommodations were wonderful, and the company was even better. From the application process to landing on US ground again, PD staff made sure that we had a smooth, safe journey the entire way. They have been running these programs for years now, so they know what they’re doing & make sure that you’re prepared (and that PD is a good match for what you’re looking for)! We had the perfect balance of volunteer work/activites so that it felt like we set out on a new adventure every day. All of us gained so much knowledge about ourselves, our group members, and the local people/cultures that we visited. This experience was truly incredible and rewarding!

Tess

The most amazing trip

I went on the New Zealand, Fiji trip this summer and it was absolutely incredible, so much better than I could have expected! I managed to do so many activities, which I look back on and can't believe that I actually did, such as caving, scuba diving, skydiving, swimming with wild dolphins, and white water rafting. The leaders were so encouraging, positive, knowledgeable and just great! We visited so many amazing places and I made so many memories that I will always remember, and I am so glad that I got to experience it all with such a great group of people.
I've only been home a week and I miss it and wish I was back already, honestly couldn't recommend Pacific Discovery enough!

Janelle

Best Decision You Will Ever Make!

I can't say enough good things about this program. If you choose to go on this trip I promise you won't regret a single penny. This trip was an amazing experience. From the moment I stepped into the countries of New Zealand and Fiji I was blown away by the scenery. Every stop we made provided us with even more breathtaking views. I remember sitting at the top of one of the rolling hills of Mimiwhangata, watching the sunset over the ocean with my group, thinking, "Life can't get much better than this." This trip pushed me to do all the things I'd never thought I'd do like skydiving, whitewater rafting, scuba diving, and swimming in an underwater cave. Not only did I get to go on all these amazing adventures, but I also gained a family. I never would've thought that in one month you could become so close, to what was, a group of strangers. Saying goodbye to them was one of the hardest things I ever had to do, but now I have family all over the world! If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask Pacific Discovery. All their staff is extremely helpful throughout the entire process. This trip by far exceeded any expectations I had and gave me one of the best summer's of my life!

The only way this program could be improved is, if somehow, it could be longer.