Au Pair in Spain

This program is no longer offered. View more programs from Smaller Earth.

Smaller Earth is here to insure your fantastic au pair experience!

With families in Madrid, Seville, Barcelona, Malaga and Santander, you will experience the essence of Spanish culture while living and working for a welcoming Spanish host family.

Our program includes 30 hours of childcare each week- which allows for plenty of time for participants to explore the region, travel Europe and enroll in Spanish language course. If you are interested in childcare, travel and adventure apply to be an au pair today!

It depends on the time frame and the destination that you want to go. for example: most european families are looking for an au pair for the school months (September - May). If this is the time you're interested in going, then you will likely hear sooner rather than later because the families are very eager to secure you as an au pair and get to know you. I was matched within 2 weeks of completing...
Great question Jacky! Here's an article that can help you decide which travel insurance is best for you: http://www.gooverseas.com/blog/learn-how-to-choose-travel-insurance-for-your-gap-year
It's not common for the families to have male au pairs. Throughout my 3 months abroad I didn't meet any. However, it depends on the city you go to and the gender of the kids you're working for. I'm sure certain families are specifically looking for a male au pair.
Hi Katie, Yes! Weekly pay of 70 to 80 Euros ($80 to $90 USD) per week, dependent upon location.

Samantha

Au pair Spain

Overall, I really enjoyed the country. I went to improve my language skills, and although I'm still not fluent, I am definitely more knowledgeable. The family was very nice and inclusive, we always had conversations over dinner in both languages. Although they wanted to learn English from me, they still spoke Spanish solely for my benefit. The biggest problem I had was lack of air conditioning. My bedroom was upstairs and with it pushing 100 degrees everyday, this was a problem. I could hardly sleep, I got maybe 4 to 5 hours a night. This led to irritability but I did my best to hide it. Other than that, the family took me to several cities around Spain and introduced me to several friends and family members. If I went back, I think I would need to live on my own terms, but I did have an overall good experience.

I don't think it was the programs fault, but in retrospect I would have asked more about my living situation.
Thaly

Life changing experience

I was so hesitant at first to be an au pair in a foreign country where I know absolutely no one, don't speak the language, and would be living with a different family. I am so happy that I pushed myself to do it because I have met so many amazing people, learned so many things that you cannot get out of university class, and have traveled all throughout spain. My spanish has improved a ton thanks to my wonderful host family. I have grown so much from this experience. I would recommend this program to someone who is open minded, looking for a life-changing experience, and is willing to go outside of their comfort zone. I wish I signed up for 6 months because this is seriously amazing!

I met many au pairs who had this problem:
Host families live very far from the center of madrid and it would take them an hour and sometimes even more to get there. I think everyone should be warned of this before they choose their family as it creates many problems for the au pair.
There should be programs and events for au pairs to meet eachother and do something fun during their time off
Some host families were really demanding and rude to their au pairs. I think there should be some kind of understanding between the au pair and the host parents as to what exactly is expected of them. They should also understand how being an au pair is emotionally draining sometimes and hard being away from home and not knowing anyone. Host families should be aware of this and sensitive to this issue.
Laura

An experience I'll never forget.

I feel so lucky to have been able to be an au pair in Spain. I'd never lived in another country before this trip, so I was definitely nervous, but it ended up being much better than I could have imagined. The au pair Spain program matched me up with a great family who lived just outside Madrid, so I could see the sights of the big city while still having the peace and closeness of a small neighborhood. Alison from Smaller Earth was very helpful as well with the journey towards living in Spain. She answered all of my questions and made me feel more comfortable about leaving. Getting out of your comfort zone and traveling to a new country will change your life. I would recommend it to anyone who needs to break out of their daily routine.

Jaclyn

Amazing experience

This was by far the most amazing experience of my life. I became a strong, independent individual by stepping out of my comfort zone and moving to a new country. I met some amazing lifelong friends who made the trip amazing. Not only did I have the chance to engage in my host family's culture, I also had several opportunities to travel around Europe on my days off. It has been the best 3 months of my life and I am extremely saddened that it is almost coming to an end. If I could change one thing it would be to have chosen to stay for 6 months.

The support I received from the American Smaller Earth representative Alison prior to my leaving Canada was phenomenal. She was extremely supportive and helpful, reassuring me that I would have an amazing time. However, the Spain representative, Clara, was less than helpful. She was neither friendly nor welcoming of my arrival in Madrid. Although I did not have a major issue with her, I have several au pair friends here who had serious issues with her, stating she did not care for their wellbeing and was very rude to them on occasion. The only improvement I would say would be to correct her behaviour as it is very hard to move to a foreign country and then have someone who you believed would help you, not help whatsoever.
Emma

The best way to experience a new culture!

I absolutely loved my time as an au pair. Because we lived with a family we experienced Spain's distinct food and way of life to an extent you can't get any other way, while also getting money to fund other experiences. I made so many great friends from all over the world and was able to see so much of Spain. I suppose there was support if we needed it but I was ready to be completely independent so I loved that we had that opportunity. Spain is truly an amazing country with such vibrant life so I can't imagine going anywhere more fun and with such a diverse range of activities to occupy myself with. The matching process to a family was very efficient and my family was so incredibly nice and helpful. For me it was such pure fun I didn't even really notice how much of the language I was picking up or what a colorful culture I was adjusting to.

I would suggest offering trips or tours so that there is even more opportunity for bonding and traveling among the au pairs.

About Smaller Earth

Ready to work abroad? If the thrill of earning a paycheck and traveling at the same time is enticing to you, then welcome to Smaller Earth.

Smaller Earth has been sending individuals on work and travel programs since 1999. What started out as a one...