• Spain
4 - 26 weeks
Program Tags
Adventure Travel After College Arts College Credit Conservation Cultural Immersion Drama Hands-On Learning Language Immersion Music Post-High School Social Justice +2

Program Details

Activities
Canyoning City Exploring Cycling Dancing Mountain Climbing Sightseeing Surfing Trekking Wine Tasting Yoga
Fall Spring
Host Family Hostel Sleeper Train
Primary Language
Spanish

Pricing

What's Included
Accommodation Activities Airport Transfers Equipment Meals Tour Guide Transportation Wifi
What's Included (Extra)

24/7 support in English and Spanish

What's Not Included
Airfare SIM cards Travel Insurance Visa
Feb 26, 2022
May 10, 2022
6 travelers are looking at this program

Spanish Gap Year a 12-week program where you will be immersed in REAL Spanish culture while you learn Spanish. You'll travel by train with our local Spanish guides:

-You will visit our capital, Madrid, with its wonderful museums and Picasso’s iconic Guernica painting.
-We’ll cycle or walk The Camino de Santiago.
-You’ll take cooking classes in The Basque Country, the foodie centre of the world.
-We will Climb The Picos de Europa, kayak through their canyons and surf the waters of the Atlantic Ocean.
-You’ll discover modernist architecture in Barcelona and learn about sustainable agriculture and marine science in Valencia.
-And you’ll experience flamenco music in Granada, with its World Heritage site, The Alhambra.

Spanish Gap Year will be your trip of a lifetime. You will acquire interpersonal and practical skills that will stand to you for the rest of your life. You’ll travel by train, the most sustainable form of travel.

Program Highlights

Application Deadline
Program Dates

Bram

Spanish Gap Year Review

Spanish Gap Year provided a lot of the opportunities for growth that I had been looking for in a gap program. My experiences with amazing host families, using Spanish to navigate unfamiliar cities, and living with different Spanish culture-influenced routines helped me expand my independence. Making friends out of various situations, always with people that had intriguingly different lived experiences to myself, supported social growth and expanded my comfort zone. As for how my Spanish has improved, I took classes in high school but had not really used Spanish for maybe two years before this trip. Now I can't help unconsciously switching to Spanish on a regular basis.

Pros
  • You learn from amazing teachers, and you make amazing friends.
  • You will learn a lot of Spanish (especially outside the classroom).
  • The food
Cons
  • Not enough time with Juan Luis :(
  • Perhaps our final week felt a little empty compared to the rest of the trip.
Brett

Spain By Train

My time on the Spain By Train program with Arantxa, my group, and all the mentors along the way was incredible! I thoroughly enjoyed the different stops and meeting lots of new people along the way. From amazing new food, to walking Tibetan bridges, the varying activities were constantly eye-opening and action packed. Right from the get-co, I can confidently say my Spanish speaking ability improved, with great learning opportunities throughout. I’ll remember these 3 months for the rest of my life.

Pros
  • Get to see many different parts of Spain
  • Can work on improving Spanish speaking
  • Opportunities to get out of your comfort zone
Cons
  • Small space group living occasionally
  • Need a good amount of extra spending money
Victor

Spanish Gap Year

Spanish Gap Year is a gap year program that I would definitely recommend it to people who wish to explore the different parts of Spain. Throughout the trip we went to various regions, learning and truly integrating with the culture. With every stop we meet new people, learn about different cultures, and improve our Spanish. While it is a relatively new program with small kinks that need to be worked out, the program is one that has huge potential. Overall, the program was a lot of fun and really gave me a better mentality and an appreciation for culture.

Pros
  • Integration in culture
  • Fun activities
Cons
  • Sometimes can have a repetitive or extraneous activity
Leora

Spanish Gap Year

I’m so, so glad I went on Spanish Gap Year. The friends I made are amazing, and I’ve improved my Spanish ten-fold. The support is incredible, I’ve felt supported every step of the way, even when times became difficult for me. In every city you stay in, you are immersed in the city’s culture, and have the opportunity to meet and connect with locals. You also get to explore languages other than Spanish, such as Basque, Catalan, and Bable. have so many places to stay and people and to see if/when I come back to Spain. Could not recommend it more!

Pros
  • Group bonding
  • Building independence
  • Cultural and language immersion
Cons
  • only 85 days :(
Parker

Spanish Gap Year

Spanish Gap Year was such an incredible experience. Spain is huge and there is so much to see but Spanish Gap Year does an excellent job at covering a wide variety of cultures, regions and cities throughout the three months. Additionally, the program can look and feel different to every student regardless of the group setting because a huge aspect is personal growth, thus the program not only allows but encourages taking initiative in one’s experience. I’d totally recommend this program and additionally Arantxa the leader is amazing!

Pros
  • Comprehensive
  • Sustainable
  • Diverse
Cons
  • Developing
Claire

Spanish Gap Year

This program was a great opportunity to see a wide variety of Spain and experience the different cultures, landscapes, languages, people, and communities. The home-stays provided an incredible experience to really get to know a city and meet a lot of people who I was able to develop strong connections and friendships with. The schedule was a good balance between group activities and free time that provided a good opportunity to explore and do what you want with free time. The city time was packed full and the hostel accommodations were definitely more compact than time in home-stays but it was a good balance.

Pros
  • Very structured travel plans
  • Strong immersion for Spanish learning
  • Good overview of many regions and visit many famous landmarks.
Cons
  • Urbany hostel (but we weren’t supposed to stay there)
Dylan

Spanish Gap Year: Spain by train

Spanish Gap Year is the best way to see Spain, learn about there culture, also while improving or learn Spanish. Being able to live in around a dozen different places in Spain with people with very different backgrounds and lifestyle is a once in a lifetime opportunity. This trip also pushed my comfort levels in a good way and also gave a great opportunity to grow as a person. This program also gave me the chance to make friends that I talk to every day months after the program ended. I’m very glad I went on this trip and I recommend the same for everyone else.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would focus and push my self more to learn Spanish
Bryce

Spanish Gap Year changed my life by showing me totally new things

If you have the opportunity to go, take it! I could have never planned to experience Spain on the level we were able to. I say this because in every area we went to, we were led by locals who were passionate about their homes and very happy to share their culture/experience with us. Whether it was mountain biking, surfing, cooking classes, or guided tours…you can tell every activity and excursion is planned with intention. We didn’t just have fun; we were also given moments to reflect, bond as a group, and expand our perspectives. I carry some of my experiences from the trip into my day-to-day life now that I’m home and I can easily say that I miss it.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
During one of our cooking classes we made a dish using squids and we baked them in their ink. Pretty different for me but it wasn’t bad!