Asia Gap Semester -- Thinking Beyond Borders

Asia Gap Semester -- Thinking Beyond Borders

A gap year should be more than just travel or service. Our gap year programs are exciting, supportive, and transformational. By combining daily language classes, homestays, working with inspiring local leaders, and engaging readings and discussions, we've created an opportunity for you to learn about things that matter to you and the world. With Master's level teachers as Program Leaders, you'll get mentorship and support to find the purpose and direction you'll need in the years to come.

Explore solutions to critical global issues in communities throughout Asia in this 13-week program. This gap semester includes:

- Language Classes & Immersion

Meals
Transportation
Primary Language
Age Max
Program tuition is $12,750, including all costs except for airfare. Airfare is estimated at $2,100, though it varies based on fuel costs. Need-based scholarships and tuitions financing options are available. Learn more on our Financial Aid page.

Dylan
Seattle

Asia gap semester experience

Before leaving for my 3 month adventure I was nervous that I wouldn't grow and change as a person , but now I look back and I'm happy to say that I become a more aware and culturally immersed person. TBB creates such a amazing and supportive community! I have so many positive memories from just these three months abroad. I'm still in awe of how much I have grown and flourished because of TBB! I would recommend it to anyone!

Hallie
New York, New York
Colgate University

Amazing experience

TBB definitely changed my life. Studying sustainable agriculture in Thailand was magical, and working with students in India was truly an amazing, once in a lifetime experience. I would recommend this for any student looking to take a gap year

I would have there be more diversity within the group

Molly
Iowa City, IA
Tufts University

Meaningful Travel

TBB gives you an opportunity to travel and reflect on the impact you're making. This isn't a service trip, and it's not an adventurous trek. It's a meaningful learning space where you get to know the people around you and yourself on a level you couldn't even imagine before leaving for the trip.

Lauren
Denver, Colorado

A thought-provoking, challenging, but overall incredible experience

It's difficult to put my TBB experience into words, but I'll start off by saying it was (as cliche as it sounds) amazing. I felt that I was constantly being challenged to step out of my comfort zone and think in new ways, and as a result, I feel that I grew enormously over the course of the trip. After studying development, sustainable agriculture, and education in depth, I think I am far more prepared to play the role of an active, responsible, and compassionate global citizen. My parents and I agree that this was a very wise investment in my overall education. I can't imagine not having done this program.

Mary
Charlotte, North Carolina

Most valuable experience of my life

I participated on Thinking Beyond Border's South Asia gap semester program. From the most empowering leaders, to the most amazing experiences, to learning and broadening my perspective of the world, I have nothing but absolutely incredible things to say about this program. I learned how to think more critically about everything in my life, and I formed relationships that will last forever. If you are thinking of participating in a Thinking Beyond Borders program, you definitely should, it will change your life for the better in so many ways.

Kaitlyn
North Carolina

LIFE CHANGING

I've never been challenged more in my life than I was on this program, but it was exactly what I needed and I can't imagine if I would have done any other program! TBB taught me how to think and how to question. It opened my eyes to issues in the world that I never even knew existed. Because of my experiences on this trip I am now more motivated than ever to find my role in global development and be a true citizen of the world!

Amit
Boston, Massachusetts
Harvard University

An Incredible Immersion into South Asian Culture and Development

As an American-born citizen of Indian origin, I had assumed I had little to learn about South Asia. But the truth is it turned out to be so much more foreign than I had thought. However, after my time with TBB in India, Thailand, and Cambodia, I feel a newfound comfort and respect for the cultural intricacies that make South Asia different and challenging, yet incredibly special.

In Jaipur, India I faced the struggles of an overpopulated nation seeking to educate its people in one of the most difficult settings possible. Teaching children from the slums of Jagatpura in a tiny concrete room English and Math was never easy. My peers and I had to fight language barriers, constant chaos, and devilishly naughty children. But a mutual affection soon grew between us and the kids, a connection both sides needed to embrace in order to progress. It takes a lot of effort, but after an hour of constant supervision and support, seeing one of my students finally understand how to multiply two and three digit numbers was one of the most fulfilling moments in my life. More than anything, I took away an understanding of the real difficulties of global education, just legislation and political promises are not enough.

In Thailand, I was forced as far out of my comfort zone as I've ever been, and I'm so glad I was. Living in the rural Thai villages of Mae Tah and Huae Tong Kow was enlightening and challenging at the same time. We had to make do with limited language ability, complete isolation from internet and electricity, and the apprehension of being in a completely foreign culture. But in our time there, we made connections to our hosts that I will never forget - we spoke different languages and looked different, but living, eating, and sleeping under the same roof made us family. We also learned about sustainable organic agricultural practices that these people were pioneering - they showed us that being environmentally responsible while still producing enough to feed the family is absolutely possible.

Overall, I'm glad I went. It may be the other side of the world with practices and norms that we don't quite understand, but this program made me see our similarities, and come to love the differences for what they are.

The program I went on also included units in South Africa and Ecuador as a Global Gap Year, which meant that our focus had to be broader than simply South Asia. I'm jealous of those who will get the opportunity to dedicate everything to understanding and loving these countries and their people.

A gap year is your time to get outside of the classroom and learn in the real world. It’s a time to find the direction you need to make college meaningful.

Take a gap year with purpose.

Go beyond just travel or service. Our global