• United States of America

Boat Host Family Tent
Primary Language

Pricing

$5,000 USD
The total cost includes all tuition and fees for the course. This covers your food, technical gear, and equipment while on course. Not included in this total cost are personal expenses such as clothing, insurance, and airfare.
What's Included
Accommodation Activities Equipment Meals Park Fees
What's Not Included
Airfare Wifi
Mar 17, 2021
Jun 07, 2018

Our U.S. courses are designed for both goal-oriented college students and individuals who are seeking clarity on their next step in life.

Learn alongside the best Instructors in the industry as you backpack, climb, canoe, kayak, raft and sail in some of the most protected wilderness areas in the United States. Spanning from the towering peaks of the Rocky Mountains and the North Cascades; the stunning canyons and rivers in the Southwest; the pristine lakes of the Boundary Waters; and the iconic Appalachian Trail and Pacific Crest Trail.

With a focus on leadership training and an unwavering commitment to excellence, our courses prepare students for future success.

Outward Bound is accredited with the American Gap Association and is the longest running program in this elite group dedicated to providing safe, meaningful and high-caliber educational experiences to students.

Program Highlights

• Gain real-world experience, earn college credit and learn alongside the best Instructors in the industry.
  • Backpack, climb, canoe, kayak, raft and sail in some of the most protected wilderness areas in the United States.
  • Our courses prepare students for future success, whether that's in college, a career or working in the outdoor education industry.
  • You'll travel as a group in remote, rugged settings that will broaden your view on the world.
  • The Outward Bound Semester & Gap year program won the Top Gap Year Provider in Safety in 2018.

Shyana

Best Decision I have Ever Made!

I would not be the person I am today if I had not chosen to go on Outward Bound. My trip was sailing on the Maine coastline, and it was incredible. I overcame my fear of heights and was able to rock climb. One of my favorite parts of the program was solo, because I got to write and reflect on who I was becoming and how I had to evolve. A great tip for solo was definitely to to ration your food, because it’s easy to eat it all in one go and be starving for the rest of the time. I split the bagel up and ate the chocolate first so it wouldn’t melt all over my other food. I would not be the woman I am today if it weren’t for Outward bound, and although I was homesick at the time, the experience gave me a whole new perspective on nature and how we can live within it rather than beside it.

Cierra

Voyage Out

My time with Outward Bound was invaluable. In the two weeks I spent sailing, I learned lessons I still carry with me today. Of all I learned, the most valuable knowledge was that even though we are small in this vast world, we all have the ability to impact our environments for better or worse. This was also my first time exploring the world on my own. Which led to a passion for travel and study abroad.

Read my full story
Jeffrey

Best Decision of My Life

My HIOBS Gap semester was truly one of the best experiences of my life. As a student at Northwestern University, I was looking for an opportunity to break from my rigorous academic schedule and seek out new, exciting experiences. Through Outward Bound, I made lifelong friends and learned just how far I could push myself. Returning to school after the trip, I possessed a completely new perspective on the opportunities in front of me! My favorite part of the trip was its emphasis on helping participants learn to live in the present. Being without a phone/laptop for several months was an incredibly refreshing experience and changed the way I interact with technology today.

Sophie

I Can't Speak Highly Enough of Outward Bound

I spent 72 days with a small group of peers and instructors sailing around coastal Maine, rock climbing, backpacking, doing service projects, and taking a wilderness first responder course. I was challenged physically, emotionally, and socially in important ways which aided my personal growth and development throughout course, and especially after it ended. Two years after the course I studied my group for my senior thesis in college and found that it positively impacted participants by increasing open-mindedness, appreciation for the outdoors, motivation, improving relationships, and teaching independence, confidence, and leadership skills. I have participated on several other shorter Outward Bound programs and I would recommend them to anyone in a heartbeat. What you are willing to contribute to the experience and to the group, determines what you will get out of it. Be open to learn, grow, and have fun and Outward Bound will not disappoint.