Summer Voyage with Ocean Passages

Unlike our Gap and Winter Term programs in Cuba, our summer voyages allow us to return home to tailor float-plans in the Gulf of Maine that reflect the Ocean Passages commitment to positive social change.

In partnership with a local charter school called Baxter Academy for Technology and Science, we run a two-week sailing voyage on the Gulf Coast of Maine from July 7-21, 2018.

The Science and Sea voyage will focus on sustainable fisheries, exploring our region’s interdependent saltwater ecology and economy. In addition to field studies, you’ll meet professionals working with lobster, salmon, seaweed and oyster farms along the Maine coast.

Aboard our 131-foot schooner, you’ll learn as much about teamwork as navigation. The experience is also terrific preparation for any of our Ocean Passages programs in Cuba!

Nadia

Best time of my life

I cannot recall a time in my life where I felt happier than my weeks spent on board the Harvey Gamage. Smelling the Simple Green and bleach while cleaning the heads and feeling the power of the fire hose when washing the deck were exciting to me. Being woken up for a 2:00AM anchor watch was well worth being tired for my sleepy eyes to be able to see the stars on a cloudless night out on the open ocean. The program that I was a part of on the Gamage gave me the opportunity to discover something I love that I may never have thought about. I would strongly recommend any Ocean Passages program to anyone who even thinks they might like to sail.

Maybe some more time for sleeping

About Ocean Passages

Ocean Passages was formed in 2015 to offer world-class sailing education in Cuba’s marine environment, which is currently undergoing historic change. After a million-dollar overhaul of the wooden schooner Harvey Gamage, we offer a full 2017-2018...