Good Life Gap Term in Maine

Kayaks at Seguinland Institute Maine
View from Treehouse
View from Treehouse
Good Life Gap Term

The idea for this gap term is simple. Set aside 3 months of your one wild and precious life to think about what counts as a good life and how you will go about living it. We’ve carved out a space on the coast of Maine where you can step away from everyday life, join a community of learners, read great books, paddle sturdy canoes, bask in nature and gain perspective on what really matters, especially in times like these.

Program includes 3 in-person week-long experiences in Maine and 3 college courses (12 credits easily transferred). Between on-site experiences, students live at home and participate in courses through a variety of “distance learning” modes. Each course includes weekly online lectures and conversations, but these online experiences are like nothing you’ve seen before. Professors collaborate with artist, musicians, poets and mindfulness practitioners to keep your mind inspired and alive with ideas.

• “Open Ocean Opening Retreat” Seguinland Institute, Georgetown, Maine | Stay in riverside cottages, canoe the river, hike the preserves, boat trip to islands. Form a community of learners: inspired texts and conversations.
  • “In the Footsteps of Thoreau” Baxter State Park, Maine | We will follow in the trail of Henry David Thoreau’s 1846 journey. Hike up Mt. Katahdin (foliage!), canoe Penobscot River, read Thoreau along the way.
  • “Tree Dwellers Closing Retreat” | Stay a night in an epic treehouse, then in the Institute’s Winter Lodge. Chilly walks on the beaches, lectures by the fireplace, envision your good life.
  • Mentorship: It’s an old-fashioned word for a dying breed, but we still believe in it. Students have bi-weekly conversations with a faculty mentor.
  • Three College Courses (12 Credits): “The Good Life and the Great Work”, Philip Francis PhD, “The Understory: Writing Hidden Narratives”, Meg LeMay PhD, “Habit, Resilience & Vision”, Justin Park PhD

• Content 0
  • Engagement 0
  • Platform 0
  • Benefits 0
  • Facilities 0
Kristina

The Best Course I've Taken

As a student in the first year this course, I wasn't sure what to expect, but was eager to learn how to live simply a good life and embark on a 2 week journey in Maine. Since taking Professor Francis for another religion course, I only knew the class was going to be great. Everyday was carefully designed and planned out with new adventures, challenges, and experiences. From reading, kyaking, learning new trades, enjoying time with new friends, and studying the works of many authors and philosophers, every moment was enjoyable. I developed and grew as a person throughout this course from the diversity of the group, the teachings, experiences, and being in a new environment. The hospitality of the Francis family is something I will never forget. The family is so creative, welcoming, and admirable. I can't wait for the day I get to enjoy the beauty of Georgetown Maine again.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Razor Clams! Before our big Lobster Bake (which was amazing) we went to catch razor clams. Having grown up near the shore, i have eaten lots of seafood, but have never seen or eaten a razor clam. Everything was super delicious and it was fun to be out on the boats and experience new things.
Risa

Best experience of my life

I like to consider myself an outdoorsy person but since I had started college I felt like I had lost track of that part in myself. Taking this course open my eyes to the side of myself I lost and reconnected me with the beauty and light that nature holds. Everyone is so friendly and welcoming; you will never feel judged or like you don’t belong; truly the best experience in my life that I will never forget. You could barely know the people you were with and by the end they’re family and it will be a memory that you will cherish forever!

I wouldn’t change a single thing, everyone was do friendly, and took care of each other as if they were family
Giuseppe

Excellent Class

Take it!! Wonderful experience enjoyed the outdoors, great literature and engaged is some great thought and discussion. Prof. Francis is an excellent professor, approachable and easy to talk to and offers amazing insight around the subjects taught within the day. As a city kid, I never imagined myself walking through the woods and mud and enjoying it. Made me truly appreciate the outdoors and introduced me to subjects that I never thought of exploring before.

Highly recommend for people who grew up in cities.

Jaclyn

Amazing experience

This trip in Maine will always hold a special place in my heart. It was an opportunity to take a step back from our daily routines and learn to be more simplistic. Philip Francis and the Seguinland Institute team are truly a phenomenal group of people who share and teach valuable lessons through lectures and hands on activities. Appreciating nature’s beauty, surrounding yourself in a positive atmosphere, and expanding your mind are just a few of the many things that make this experience so special.

Anthony

Take a Step Back

The trip as a whole was nothing short of incredible. The course dives deep into the core values of what it means to truly live deliberately and how to get the most out of the one life we have. The staff is made up of some the most soulful people you'll ever meet who gear their time towards helping and teaching those around them. I would reccomend to anyone looking to do something a little different, and to get away from daily distractions, especially if you're coming from a large city background.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
I was suprised with how much physical activity was involved in the course, very happy that i didn't fall out of my kayak
Allison

The Best Class I've Ever Taken

I've always had a love for nature and the outdoors. This was my first time visiting Maine and I fell in love with its beauty. The property itself is vast and gorgeous. Philip Francis was an amazing professor and it felt like everything we did was well thought out and tied directly back into what we were learning. I felt like I could really open up and be candid with emotions and what the class brought up for me because my classmates and teachers were all so supportive. It's been 4 years since my trip to Maine and I still talk about this class all the time because I found it so impactful.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
One day while we were there, Philip wanted to have us all canoe or kayak to a nearby island for class that day. My hand was one of the only ones who raised when asked who had never done either before. Thankfully, one of my fellow classmates was an eagle scout and offered to canoe with me. He taught me everything he knew about steering, paddling, getting in/out of the boat, etc. Two days later, I was in a kayak by myself paddling through the river. It was amazing to feel supported by my fellow classmates and definitely a confident boost to be able to go out in a solo kayak.
Michevi

Learning to Live the Good Life

As a student who grew up in the hustle and bustle of New York City, it was great to get away and learn in the natural beauty of Maine.

Each day was filled with great readings, hands on experiences, and thoughtful conversations that helped me open my eyes to what it means to live a good life.

I know that all sounds kind of vague, but part of the course is learning to participate instead of anticipate! You are in incredibly good hands with the Francis family and their friends and you will certainly feel very welcomed throughout your stay.

By the end of my time in the course, I definitely learned how to live the good life and how to continue living that good life back in my city home. I also walked away with many life long friends and incredible memories! So if you’re considering taking this course, do it, you won’t regret it.

Best advice for future travelers: participate don’t anticipate!
Jake

The Good Life in Georgetown Maine

The time I had, and the people I met during this course, I will not soon forget. The life experience and kindness of everyone involved in the Good Life course is inspiring. If you want to read philosophy next to the ocean, do yoga on a platform in the trees, and learn from amazing people, you should look no further. This course was always exciting and always provided new experiences. It gave me the chance to get away for a moment and think about what it means to have a "good life". The course provided me with experiences to draw from to help me build a good life for myself.