• United States of America

Primary Language
Age Max

Pricing

TOTAL PROGRAM COST: $13900

Cost includes everything: tuition for 10 credits, room and board, all fees, outdoor gear, books, journals, & unlimited marshmallows.
What's Included
Accommodation Activities Equipment Meals Park Fees Wifi
What's Not Included
Airfare Domestic Airfare Airport Transfers Travel Insurance
Jan 26, 2023
Jan 15, 2023
9 travelers are looking at this program

Envision your good life. Discover your great work.

We’ve carved out a space on a 60-acre peninsula on the coast of Maine where you can step away from everyday life, become part of an intentional community of fellow students, explore ideas to live by, bask in nature and gain perspective on what really matters, especially in historic times like these. Our programs is a chance to aside a season of your life to think about the most important questions of all: what makes for a good life? What will I do with my one wild and precious life? What will be my great work for the good of all?

EARN 10 COLLEGE CREDITS IN 3 INSPIRED COURSES
INHABIT THE COAST OF MAINE
EXPAND YOUR CREATIVE CAPACITIES
DEVELOP HOMESTEADING SKILLS
CULTIVATE MINDFULNESS
FORGE FRIENDSHIPS BASED ON THE DEEPER THINGS
REFLECT ON THE MOST PRESSING QUESTIONS OF OUR TIME
ARTICULATE YOUR VISION OF THE GOOD LIFE

Our other programs: The Good Life May Term in Maine & Wintering: A Good Life Writer's Retreat

Program Highlights

• “Open Ocean Opening Retreat” Seguinland Institute, Georgetown, Maine | Stay in riverside cottages, canoe the river, hike the preserves, boat trip to islands. Form a community of learners: inspired texts and conversations.
  • Sunrise in Acadia National Park - The Dawnland
  • “Tree Dwellers Retreat” | Stay a night in an epic treehouse
  • 3 College Courses (10 Credits): “THE GOOD LIFE Course”, Philip Francis PhD, “THE GOOD LIFE FOR ALL", Seguinland Faculty, "THE CREATIVE LIFE", Marsha Dunn, MSW
  • Volunteer at an organic farm that gives all its produce to people facing food insecurity.

• 5 rating 100%
  • 4 rating 0%
  • 3 rating 0%
  • 2 rating 0%
  • 1 rating 0%
Margaret

Incredible

The Good Life Gap Semester was transformative. I made life-long friends, had rich & intellectual conversations​​, and reflected deeply on what I value and how I want to live. Most of all, everything felt intentional. It was clear that the staff cared about the program and wanted everyone to succeed. This was definitely passed on to the students. As cliché as it sounds, our cohort was like a family. The program is academic–you’ll engage with big ideas as a community. Your professors are knowledgeable, enthusiastic, and committed. Seguinland is unlike anything you’ll ever experience. I can’t recommend it enough.

Pros
  • cabins are surprisingly nice
  • schedule is very well-thought-out, more than enough free time to reflect/have time to yourself
  • food is a major highlight
Cary

Amazing experience

Great friends, great experiences. Beautiful location and living environment. Something I will cherish forever. Everything was done so deliberately and in a way that always kept you engaged. From food to class to excursions everything was fantastic and I’m so glad that I attended this program. The lake is really beautiful its such a peaceful setting, you can be isolated from the noise of the world and really help discover yourself. You have to put a lot of work in but if you give yourself fully then you will undoubtedly get even more out of it than you put in.

Lilly

A loving community

Seguinland Institute is an indescribable experience. They gather all aspects of the good life – from community to creativity to food – and explore each with kindness and passion. If you attend Seguinland you will no doubt make lifelong friends while discovering so many new and amazing things about yourself. You’ll be challenged both physically and intellectually, but it never seems like too much to take in. Every experience you have is filled with wonder and is so rewarding. The staff builds relationships with each member of our sweet little community and truly feels like family by the end. Seguinland really has something for everyone and it will always have a place in my heart❤️

Pros
  • Tight-knit community
  • Time for reflection
  • Beautiful scenery
Cons
  • Fully packed schedule, not ideal if you’re looking for something more independent
  • No Wi-Fi (but a great place to unplug!)
Lilly

Seguinland!

Seguinland Institute is an indescribable experience. They gather all aspects of the good life – from community to creativity to food – and explore each with kindness and passion. If you attend Seguinland you will no doubt make lifelong friends while discovering so many new and amazing things about yourself. You’ll be challenged both physically and intellectually, but it never seems like too much to take in. Every experience you have is filled with wonder and is so rewarding. The staff builds relationships with each member of our sweet little community and truly feels like family by the end. Seguinland really has something for everyone and it will always have a place in my heart.

Pros
  • Tight-knit community
  • Time to reflect
  • Beautiful scenery
Cons
  • Fully packed schedule, not a very independent experience if you’re looking for that
Pia

The good life indeed

I don’t know what I was expecting from Seguinland but it never failed to surprise me. I found a community full of love, respect and support. I created bonds that will hopefully last for life. I got out of my comfort zone and did things I would never have thought of doing, like hiking a mountain at 3am and kayaking for hours. I found a group of staff that understood us and treated us like adults. I found knowledge within myself while holding my friends’ hands through this path. I found peace in solitude and comfort in my community. I found a new family and with amazing perspectives to life. Loved it and would totally recommend it!

Ella

Great Success

"I came here to question my life and instead I fell in love with it." Truly indescribable. I could say that this program is 10 weeks of yoga, discussions, dance parties, readings, painting, thinking, camping, bonfires, dishes, movie nights, family dinners and more but it would not even begin to explain the scope of it all. I was challenged in all regards–you push yourself to new comfort zones and have a whole community behind you as you do it. I will come away from this with 19 lifelong friends and 8 mentors.

Pros
  • learning independence
  • practicing communication in small community-living
  • cooking with your friends most nights!
Cons
  • hard to find alone time with a packed schedule
  • If you grew up in the city, this program will challenge your ability to stay put
Arushi

Honestly a fresh breath of life :))

This experience felt like a fresh breath of life for me. I’m so grateful I took this chance. I’ve made lifelong memories and built a greater sense of confidence. This was my first time living without my family (I was straight out of high school). This program helped me feel more affirmed in the hope I have for my future. The staff and faculty were like family. It felt like growing up in the best way as I experienced new things every day. I enjoyed the kindness, openness, and support all the staff gave us. I wouldn't have considered myself a very outdoorsy person before this experience but now I know that I love the outdoors more than ever. Living in a community takes a lot of effort and I’m glad that I got to learn how to put that effort in. I’ll always think back fondly to dance parties in the cookhouse and the warmth of bonfires and friends."

Sophia

There is nothing better than Maine in the Fall!

Seguinland is wonderful! The program allowed me to explore every unexpected creative outlet, live in a wonderful, authentic community, try all new perspectives and challenges, and will truly stick with my for life. I grew in so many ways and found new capabilities, friendships and passions. I am more authentic, creative, confident and joyful because of my time in The Good Life Gap Semester. The Seguinland staff gave me such a sense of home away from home and have so much kindness and support in their hearts. What will stick with me the most is the people, everyone in the program was so loving and down to earth and it was so unique to be able to build a community all together. My time at Seguinland is unforgettable.