• United States of America

Primary Language
Age Max

Pricing

TOTAL PROGRAM COST: $12900

Cost includes everything: tuition for 10 credits, room and board, all fees, outdoor gear, books, journals, & unlimited marshmallows.
What's Included
Accommodation Activities Equipment Meals Park Fees Wifi
What's Not Included
Airfare Domestic Airfare Airport Transfers Travel Insurance
Jan 30, 2022
Jun 02, 2022
5 travelers are looking at this program

Envision your good life. Discover your great work.

Set aside a season of your life to think about the most important questions of all: what makes for a good life? What will I do with my one wild and precious life? What will be my great work for the good of all? We’ve carved out a space on the coast of Maine where you can step away from everyday life, join a community of learners, read great books, paddle sturdy canoes, bask in nature and gain perspective on what really matters, especially in historic times like these.

EARN 10 COLLEGE CREDITS IN 3 INSPIRED COURSES
INHABIT THE COAST OF MAINE
EXPAND YOUR CREATIVE CAPACITIES
DEVELOP HOMESTEADING SKILLS
CULTIVATE MINDFULNESS
FORGE FRIENDSHIPS BASED ON THE DEEPER THINGS
REFLECT ON THE MOST PRESSING QUESTIONS OF OUR TIME
ARTICULATE YOUR VISION OF THE GOOD LIFE

See also The Good Life May Term in Maine (website for details) & The Good Life For All service-learning program (website for details)

Program Highlights

• “Open Ocean Opening Retreat” Seguinland Institute, Georgetown, Maine | Stay in riverside cottages, canoe the river, hike the preserves, boat trip to islands. Form a community of learners: inspired texts and conversations.
  • “In the Footsteps of Thoreau” Baxter State Park, Maine | We will follow in the trail of Henry David Thoreau’s 1846 journey and read Thoreau along the way.
  • “Tree Dwellers Retreat” | Stay a night in an epic treehouse
  • Mentorship: Students have bi-weekly conversations with a faculty mentor.
  • 3 College Courses (10 Credits): “LIVING THE GOOD LIFE”, Philip Francis PhD, “THE GOOD LIFE FOR ALL: 21st CENTURY NARRATIVES”, Kathryn Miles, PhD, "THE CREATIVE LIFE", Marsha Dunn, MSW

Timothy

Seguinland Institute

This program has changed my life, and has left me with some of the best friends I have ever met. Prior to the Seguinland, I knew it was going to be a fun and adventurous experience. However, it also ended up being insightful and meaningful, and truthfully life changing. I discovered new passions and respect for the world, myself and others. Not a day goes by where something doesn't remind me of my time spent at Seguinland. I'm forever grateful for having been apart of this special program, and making life long relationships with the people I was surrounded with.

Pros
  • Best friendships and strongest connections I have ever made.
  • Amazing location allowing for unforgettable day trips, hiking, canoeing, outdoor cooking etc.
  • The most supportive and knowledgable staff that knows the surrounding land and incorporates it into whatever lessons we have.
Cons
  • Housing accommodations were great, but could use some simple touch ups (mostly some utility renovations)
1 person found this review helpful.
Carolina

Good Life Gap Term, Fall 2021

I had a fantastic time at the Good Life Gap Term. The curriculum explores philosophy, environmental justice, and creativity, all facets of what "the good life" can look like. I'm so happy I got to reconnect with nature and discover the joy of being a beginner. At Seguin I tried so many new things (new readings, new recipes, new artistic mediums), and I realized how rewarding that can be. I am so grateful for the friends I made, too. We dove into the course material with open minds, cooked and shared meals together, explored Maine, and created memories I will never forget, especially hiking in Acadia at sunrise. Together we built a vibrant and supportive community. The experience I had at the Good Life Gap Term continues to guide me today, reminding me to go outside, appreciate nature's gifts, listen, read, and create.

Maurice

Seguindland Institute Fall 2021

Firstly, I'd like to remark on how grateful I am for an opportunity such as this one. I can't recall anticipating that an experience like this would change the trajectory of my life for the best. While coming with the intention to figure out my direction in life, Seguin introduced me to a new sense of novelty, adventure, and relationships, that I had never experienced before. Seguin helped me understand how I can live within the duality of learning while living intentionally. From adventuring to islands, camping, foraging, solitude, and cooking, all the way to the academic side of the program, there's a lot to experience. However, I do believe in transparency and honesty. As someone who's always suffered from anxiety and being included, I found myself often straying away from moments to be included in certain parts of the program, due to my own expectations. This doesn't disregard the moments when I did push myself to try new things, which I did a lot of during this program. If you're deciding to take on a program such as this one, come with no intention and no expectations. Because by the end of the program and the months after, you'll begin to see the program's positive longevity and the pursuance that it has on your life.

1 person found this review helpful.
Cameron

An Amazing Program

The Seguinland Institute offers an amazing curriculum focused on engaging in the idea of "The Good Life" and how best to approach this rare opportunity that is living. Located on a beautiful piece of Maine land, Seguin is brimming with engaging ways of learning both academically as well as creatively through many different forms of expression and various ways of interacting with the land. There is both an adequate amount of guidance as well the allowance of free-range for students to explore and learn in their own way. The guest speakers are phenomenal, the community that develops is heartfelt and caring and the lessons that you will learn will carry for a lifetime.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
The view from the top of Mount Katadhin in the fall is still to this day one of the most breathtaking things I have ever seen in my life.
Anoosh

Seguinland Institute Fall 2021 Experience

The institute partakes in a radical and experimental approach to education. The courses went beyond the books we read and the lessons we were taught, but were filled with rich discussions, various memorable trips, and influential visitors that brought the lessons to life. Each week was filled with different adventures such as hiking, camping, foraging, or volunteering at a local farm. The program mentally, spiritually, and physically challenged me for the better. I had the opportunity to live in an intentional community on the beautiful coast of Maine and be grounded in the peaceful nature it has to offer. I am beyond grateful for the friends, staff, and memories I created at Seguinland.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
Hiked in the middle of the night to see the most beautiful sunrise.
Garrett

Rediscovering Life's Gifts in the Maine Woods

I did not know how much I needed this program. After months and months of social isolation and existential boredom, Seguinland helped remind me that being alive, existing in the company of others, is the greatest gift we give, receive, and are. Through the excellent instructors, immersive and grounding experiences & trips, insightful guest speakers, wonderful fellow students, and the endlessly accommodating, kind Francis Family, I found myself at the end of the program with a renewed zest for life that I never thought achievable at this phase in my life. Want to know about and live out the good life in a naturally beautiful and intellectually curious environment? Look no further.

Jacob

Seguinland Institute

Seguinland Institute brought the respite and centering that I was searching for, and I couldn't have imagined a more picturesque backdrop. We discussed ideas new to me such as eating with intention, embracing child-like wonder, and cultivating a relationship with the land wherever we find ourselves; we started our mornings with yoga among the trees, in the raised classroom, our "Gathering Space." I left Georgetown feeling rested and with new perspective, thanks to the welcoming community of Back River Bend. The cherry on top was everyone involved in making Seguinland Institute come to life, from Prof. Francis to Loren and the boat yard crew. I couldn't be more grateful for the experience, and would recommend to any and all!

"The teachers are everywhere. What is wanted is a learner." - Wendell Berry

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Black Locust Flower fritters served on Sarsparilla!
Gabriella

For me the door to the woods is the door to the temple

Like many city dwellers, days, weeks, months, and years all flew by in a blur. The shifting of the seasons was something I barely noticed. I often felt rushed and anxious. During my first ten day stay at Seguinland, there was a forced shift in my perspective. The assigned readings, homework questions, and group discussions required me to ground myself in the present and pay attention to my surroundings. I felt deep gratitude for my teachers and classmates and the insightful conversations we shared without cellphones or computers between us. I witnessed the beautiful natural landscape around me with all five senses and meditated for hours on end. I left the program feeling refreshed, motivated, and feeling in love with life. The course introduced me to a lot of the concepts and life philosophies that I am still deeply passionate about. Thanks, Seguinland! “Instructions for living a life. Pay attention. Be astonished.Tell about it.” -Mary Oliver

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
A bald eagle perched on a pine tree across the river. Beautiful treehouses built by hand. A full moon rising followed by a meteor shower.