• United States of America

Primary Language
Age Max

Pricing

TOTAL PROGRAM COST: $12900

Cost includes everything: tuition for 10 credits, room and board, all fees, outdoor gear, books, journals, & unlimited marshmallows.
What's Included
Accommodation Activities Equipment Meals Park Fees Wifi
What's Not Included
Airfare Domestic Airfare Airport Transfers Travel Insurance
Oct 26, 2021
Jan 13, 2022
4 travelers are looking at this program

Envision your good life. Discover your great work.

Set aside a semester of your one wild and precious life to think about what counts as a good life and how to go about living it. We’ve carved out a space on the coast of Maine where you can step away from everyday life, join a community of learners, read great books, paddle sturdy canoes, bask in nature and gain perspective on what really matters, especially in times like these.

EARN 8-10 COLLEGE CREDITS IN 2-3 INSPIRED COURSES
INHABIT THE COAST OF MAINE
DEVELOP HOMESTEADING SKILLS
CULTIVATE MINDFULNESS
FORGE COMMUNITIES OF PRACTICE
REFLECT ON THE MOST PRESSING QUESTIONS OF OUR TIME
ARTICULATE YOUR VISION OF THE GOOD LIFE

See also The Good Life May Term in Maine (website for details) & The Good Life For All service-learning program (website for details)

Program Highlights

• “Open Ocean Opening Retreat” Seguinland Institute, Georgetown, Maine | Stay in riverside cottages, canoe the river, hike the preserves, boat trip to islands. Form a community of learners: inspired texts and conversations.
  • “In the Footsteps of Thoreau” Baxter State Park, Maine | We will follow in the trail of Henry David Thoreau’s 1846 journey and read Thoreau along the way.
  • “Tree Dwellers Retreat” | Stay a night in an epic treehouse
  • Mentorship: Students have bi-weekly conversations with a faculty mentor.
  • 2-3 College Courses (8-10 Credits): “LIVING THE GOOD LIFE”, Philip Francis PhD, “THE GOOD LIFE FOR ALL: 21st CENTURY NARRATIVES”, Kathryn Miles, PhD, "THE CREATIVE LIFE", Marsha Dunn

Cameron

An Amazing Program

The Seguinland Institute offers an amazing curriculum focused on engaging in the idea of "The Good Life" and how best to approach this rare opportunity that is living. Located on a beautiful piece of Maine land, Seguin is brimming with engaging ways of learning both academically as well as creatively through many different forms of expression and various ways of interacting with the land. There is both an adequate amount of guidance as well the allowance of free-range for students to explore and learn in their own way. The guest speakers are phenomenal, the community that develops is heartfelt and caring and the lessons that you will learn will carry for a lifetime.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
The view from the top of Mount Katadhin in the fall is still to this day one of the most breathtaking things I have ever seen in my life.
Anoosh

Seguinland Institute Fall 2021 Experience

The institute partakes in a radical and experimental approach to education. The courses went beyond the books we read and the lessons we were taught, but were filled with rich discussions, various memorable trips, and influential visitors that brought the lessons to life. Each week was filled with different adventures such as hiking, camping, foraging, or volunteering at a local farm. The program mentally, spiritually, and physically challenged me for the better. I had the opportunity to live in an intentional community on the beautiful coast of Maine and be grounded in the peaceful nature it has to offer. I am beyond grateful for the friends, staff, and memories I created at Seguinland.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
Hiked in the middle of the night to see the most beautiful sunrise.
Garrett

Rediscovering Life's Gifts in the Maine Woods

I did not know how much I needed this program. After months and months of social isolation and existential boredom, Seguinland helped remind me that being alive, existing in the company of others, is the greatest gift we give, receive, and are. Through the excellent instructors, immersive and grounding experiences & trips, insightful guest speakers, wonderful fellow students, and the endlessly accommodating, kind Francis Family, I found myself at the end of the program with a renewed zest for life that I never thought achievable at this phase in my life. Want to know about and live out the good life in a naturally beautiful and intellectually curious environment? Look no further.

Jacob

Seguinland Institute

Seguinland Institute brought the respite and centering that I was searching for, and I couldn't have imagined a more picturesque backdrop. We discussed ideas new to me such as eating with intention, embracing child-like wonder, and cultivating a relationship with the land wherever we find ourselves; we started our mornings with yoga among the trees, in the raised classroom, our "Gathering Space." I left Georgetown feeling rested and with new perspective, thanks to the welcoming community of Back River Bend. The cherry on top was everyone involved in making Seguinland Institute come to life, from Prof. Francis to Loren and the boat yard crew. I couldn't be more grateful for the experience, and would recommend to any and all!

"The teachers are everywhere. What is wanted is a learner." - Wendell Berry

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Black Locust Flower fritters served on Sarsparilla!
Gabriella

For me the door to the woods is the door to the temple

Like many city dwellers, days, weeks, months, and years all flew by in a blur. The shifting of the seasons was something I barely noticed. I often felt rushed and anxious. During my first ten day stay at Seguinland, there was a forced shift in my perspective. The assigned readings, homework questions, and group discussions required me to ground myself in the present and pay attention to my surroundings. I felt deep gratitude for my teachers and classmates and the insightful conversations we shared without cellphones or computers between us. I witnessed the beautiful natural landscape around me with all five senses and meditated for hours on end. I left the program feeling refreshed, motivated, and feeling in love with life. The course introduced me to a lot of the concepts and life philosophies that I am still deeply passionate about. Thanks, Seguinland! “Instructions for living a life. Pay attention. Be astonished.Tell about it.” -Mary Oliver

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
A bald eagle perched on a pine tree across the river. Beautiful treehouses built by hand. A full moon rising followed by a meteor shower.
Tekia

The Good Life

The education I received at the Good Life Course goes deeper than understanding mindful concepts. It was a mind, body, and soul experience. My mind was enhanced by the readings of Braiding Sweetgrass and Consolations as well as the discussions that followed. My body was challenged to break out of its comfort zone and go ziplining, canoeing, hiking and to try yoga. My soul was revitalized from meditation, good conversation, solitude and friends. From this course I learned how to see beauty, and how to find balance. The course allowed for self-discovery and gave me the skills (my backpack) to start my post-college life.

I find myself returning to the ideas of this course on a regular basis. When life is hectic and overwhelming I lean into the teachings of The Good Life. I will be forever thankful for the memories and teachings I gained at Seguinland Institute.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
I was nervous about ziplining at first. I was terrified of falling into the water. My friends, both old and new, encouraged me to try it and although my landings were always poor it was so much fun! I even have a zipline at my house now and every time I go on it I think of the wonderful people at The Good Life that encouraged me to face my fear.
Paul

Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?

From the stomping grounds of the city that never sleeps, my life had become overwhelmed with stress, daunting professional expectations, and a spiraling loss of direction. My return to nature and experiences with personal reflection helped me find purpose for my days. The Atlantic coasts of Georgetown, Maine and the energy that radiates from the Back River, lifted me into another perception of my own reality. The Good Life Course promotes spiritual growth from within, making the experience truly a one of a kind lifetime memory. My carvings from Maine will walk with me deep into my professional career here in NYC and I am forever thankful for the eye-opening lessons that only Prof. Francis and his genuine staff could provide. I will for sure return to Francisville and will be sure to bring others along to experience the life changing escape. Sending nothing but love to my family up in Georgetown! Bless!

"In nature, nothing is perfect and everything is perfect." - Alice Walker

Take the leap! Surrender, give in, escape, and let go. A return to nature can help remind us just how strong we are internally. Being in nature can help refresh our mental, clarifying what is most important in our one wild and precious lives!
Brian

A Good Life and Living Deliberately

The Good Life Course was one of the most profound experiences I have had in my life. I come from a very technical and science based background, but I throughly enjoyed our philosophical discussions on what constitutes a good life. The readings were also incredibly enlightening and there was no shortage of fun activities and great food! Georgetown is downright gorgeous and is the perfect place to be discussing and cultivating the philosophy of the good life. Leaving the course, you will no doubt feel refreshed, prepared, and invigorated to live your wild and precious life.

Have an open mind and take time to enjoy the beauty Maine has to offer!