• United States of America

Primary Language
Age Max

Pricing

TOTAL PROGRAM COST: $12900

Cost includes everything: tuition for 10 credits, room and board, all fees, outdoor gear, books, journals, & unlimited marshmallows.
What's Included
Accommodation Activities Equipment Meals Park Fees Wifi
What's Not Included
Airfare Domestic Airfare Airport Transfers Travel Insurance
Jul 13, 2022
Aug 01, 2022
7 travelers are looking at this program

Envision your good life. Discover your great work.

Set aside a season of your life to think about the most important questions of all: what makes for a good life? What will I do with my one wild and precious life? What will be my great work for the good of all? We’ve carved out a space on the coast of Maine where you can step away from everyday life, join a community of learners, read great books, paddle sturdy canoes, bask in nature and gain perspective on what really matters, especially in historic times like these.

EARN 10 COLLEGE CREDITS IN 3 INSPIRED COURSES
INHABIT THE COAST OF MAINE
EXPAND YOUR CREATIVE CAPACITIES
DEVELOP HOMESTEADING SKILLS
CULTIVATE MINDFULNESS
FORGE FRIENDSHIPS BASED ON THE DEEPER THINGS
REFLECT ON THE MOST PRESSING QUESTIONS OF OUR TIME
ARTICULATE YOUR VISION OF THE GOOD LIFE

See also The Good Life May Term in Maine (website for details) & The Good Life For All service-learning program (website for details)

Program Highlights

• “Open Ocean Opening Retreat” Seguinland Institute, Georgetown, Maine | Stay in riverside cottages, canoe the river, hike the preserves, boat trip to islands. Form a community of learners: inspired texts and conversations.
  • Sunrise in Acadia National Park - The Dawnland
  • “Tree Dwellers Retreat” | Stay a night in an epic treehouse
  • Space to contemplate the big ideas and the bigger questions
  • 3 College Courses (10 Credits): “LIVING THE GOOD LIFE”, Philip Francis PhD, “THE GOOD LIFE FOR ALL: 21st CENTURY NARRATIVES”, Kathryn Miles, PhD, "THE CREATIVE LIFE", Marsha Dunn, MSW

Mikayla

I gained far more than I thought 10 weeks could give me

The marsh welcomed me onto it's land. It gave me views I'll always remember, woods to immerse myself in, and a breathtaking amount of stars.
It was truly about the people. Phillip and his family let us become apart of their lives, teaching courses but also giving us space to grow as they supported us in every way. The guests we met were inspiring and provided such rich moments. I was naturally drawn in to close friendships with the other students.
Allow yourself to be open minded and vulnerable and you'll find yourself changed.

Pros
  • Getting to live in a stunningly beautiful place
  • Great mix of structured time and downtime
  • This is how learning should be. Experiential, exciting, and passionate.
Lauren

The best decision ever

My time at Seguinland Institute is indescribable. Surrounded by the serene marsh and river, students are able to connect with not only their selves, but also their fellow students, nature, and literature. Students learn not only from the syllabus but also by the very experience itself. Daily yoga helps to start each day with mindfulness. This program would be best for students interested in nature, hiking, kayaking/canoeing, farming, cooking, reassign and art. The ability to perform basic tasks independently is necessary as students are required to make breakfast at lunch, do their own laundry, keep a clean shared room, share cleaning tasks with housemates, and help with group dinner prep and clean up. the program is everything the website describes and more. The staff at Seguinland make each student a member of their incredible family. I would consider 17-23 to be the most crucial learning time for young people, and Seguinland is the place to do it.

Pros
  • Nature
  • Community
  • Staff
Cons
  • No personal transportation
Riley

The Good Life For All

I had no idea what I had gotten myself into before coming to this program but within a few days I was quickly captivated by the culture I found at Seguinland. The program does such an amazing job of combining mindfulness and personal self-reflection with hands-on environmental education and creativity. Everything we did felt so personal and the program coordinators always took time to listen to our suggestions and adjust the program as needed. You will become so close with the small group of students you live and learn alongside of as well as the Francis family, who welcomes you into their life. I can't recommend this program enough!

Jordan

The Good Life Gap Term (Fall 2021)

This program is the best decision I've ever made. I know that the things I learned in each of the good life courses will stay with me forever and it is impossible to describe the impact that each of the faculty has had on me. Georgetown and all its natural beauty is the ideal location to rediscover what it means to live mindfully and find what matters most to you. Everyone comes to this program for a different reason, and students have a variety of experiences and goals going in. This allows for meaningful and memorable discussion because ideas are examined from a variety of perspectives. The community is unlike any other; everyone was so kind and cared deeply about each other as well as learning with an open mind.

Pros
  • Lots of opportunities to try new things
  • Many guests educators who are all passionate about what they do
Timothy

Seguinland Institute

This program has changed my life, and has left me with some of the best friends I have ever met. Prior to the Seguinland, I knew it was going to be a fun and adventurous experience. However, it also ended up being insightful and meaningful, and truthfully life changing. I discovered new passions and respect for the world, myself and others. Not a day goes by where something doesn't remind me of my time spent at Seguinland. I'm forever grateful for having been apart of this special program, and making life long relationships with the people I was surrounded with.

Pros
  • Best friendships and strongest connections I have ever made.
  • Amazing location allowing for unforgettable day trips, hiking, canoeing, outdoor cooking etc.
  • The most supportive and knowledgable staff that knows the surrounding land and incorporates it into whatever lessons we have.
Cons
  • Housing accommodations were great, but could use some simple touch ups (mostly some utility renovations)
Carolina

Good Life Gap Term, Fall 2021

I had a fantastic time at the Good Life Gap Term. The curriculum explores philosophy, environmental justice, and creativity, all facets of what "the good life" can look like. I'm so happy I got to reconnect with nature and discover the joy of being a beginner. At Seguin I tried so many new things (new readings, new recipes, new artistic mediums), and I realized how rewarding that can be. I am so grateful for the friends I made, too. We dove into the course material with open minds, cooked and shared meals together, explored Maine, and created memories I will never forget, especially hiking in Acadia at sunrise. Together we built a vibrant and supportive community. The experience I had at the Good Life Gap Term continues to guide me today, reminding me to go outside, appreciate nature's gifts, listen, read, and create.

Maurice

Seguindland Institute Fall 2021

Firstly, I'd like to remark on how grateful I am for an opportunity such as this one. I can't recall anticipating that an experience like this would change the trajectory of my life for the best. While coming with the intention to figure out my direction in life, Seguin introduced me to a new sense of novelty, adventure, and relationships, that I had never experienced before. Seguin helped me understand how I can live within the duality of learning while living intentionally. From adventuring to islands, camping, foraging, solitude, and cooking, all the way to the academic side of the program, there's a lot to experience. However, I do believe in transparency and honesty. As someone who's always suffered from anxiety and being included, I found myself often straying away from moments to be included in certain parts of the program, due to my own expectations. This doesn't disregard the moments when I did push myself to try new things, which I did a lot of during this program. If you're deciding to take on a program such as this one, come with no intention and no expectations. Because by the end of the program and the months after, you'll begin to see the program's positive longevity and the pursuance that it has on your life.

Cameron

An Amazing Program

The Seguinland Institute offers an amazing curriculum focused on engaging in the idea of "The Good Life" and how best to approach this rare opportunity that is living. Located on a beautiful piece of Maine land, Seguin is brimming with engaging ways of learning both academically as well as creatively through many different forms of expression and various ways of interacting with the land. There is both an adequate amount of guidance as well the allowance of free-range for students to explore and learn in their own way. The guest speakers are phenomenal, the community that develops is heartfelt and caring and the lessons that you will learn will carry for a lifetime.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
The view from the top of Mount Katadhin in the fall is still to this day one of the most breathtaking things I have ever seen in my life.