Argentina: Community Service & The Great Outdoors

Horse back riding
Community Service at a elementary school in Chicoana
My host family visiting me in Chicoana!
From the hike in Salta, and one of the many streams we crossed
The view after white water rafting (that was the river we went down)
My sister and I at dinner
Horseback riding in chicoana
Last day in Buenos Aires

Experience Argentina through outdoor activities, Spanish language classes, and community service. Begin your Experiment in Argentina’s capital, Buenos Aires, where you will explore the city’s sites and practice Spanish. Travel by boat to the city’s surrounding islands in the Tigre Delta and visit artisan markets.
Your journey continues in the northern region of Salta, where you will live with a host family. You will work on community service projects. You will also hike in the beautiful countryside and ride the rapids during a group white-water rafting adventure. Marvel at the mesmerizing landscape of the shimmering white Salinas Grandes, Argentina’s massive salt flats.
Explore the countryside on horseback as you ride up the Chicoana Mountain and camp under the stars. You will also enjoy traditional barbecue prepared by Argentine cowboys, known as gauchos. Take a bike tour of the city and hike the beautiful surrounding areas before returning to Buenos Aires.

• Community Service
  • Outdoor Activity
  • Water Activity
  • Camping
  • Homestay

elijah

best experience of my life

I was very excited to start the trip just from exploring and getting threw the airports by myself. When I first met everyone i was not sure what to expect but my group became family to me by the end. My home stay went very smoothly it was a amazing experience in it of itself being able to learn the day to day of a average family. My host family also became actual family to me in just 10 days they would take me to do things from basketball to exploring parts of the town and the outskirts. My group leaders where vary knowledgeable to they already had some understanding of the culture. The leaders also would help us with most anything from us needing help with our Spanish to writing post cards and if one of us would scrape our knee or roll our ankle.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
The most surprising thing i saw was the la madre protest in Buenos Aries.
Carmen

Argentina

I went to Argentina the summer of 2019 with The Experiment in International Living. I had a great time during the homestay, community service, and adventures we did individually and as a group. I learned a lot about the culture and language and broadened my view of the world. The homestay especially allowed me to be immersed in the culture and change my perspective. Would definitely recommend this program!
There are some things I would have liked to know before I went, though. Firstly, don't worry if you don't speak Spanish fluently. Everyone was able to find ways to communicate, even if we occasionally resorted to pantomime. Some advice: you will enjoy your homestay more if you go in with an open mind, not expecting it to be like your life at home.

What was your funniest moment?
At one of the hotels, the toilet flooded. The girl who went to the front desk to get help didn't speak Spanish very well, and difinitely didn't know how to say "the toilet is leaking." So she said "Baño! foosh! Agua!" [toilet! foosh! water!]. We got the toilet fixed and had a good laugh.
Alley

My experience was amazing.

When going on the Argentina travel abroad group with The Experiment program I had so much fun, and I grew as a person. My favorite part of the trip was when the group spent time together at night. Such as going out after dinner in Salta city and Buenos Aires, and being able to shop and spend time with each other. I also enjoyed playing cards with the group. When traveling alone for the first time and meeting these strangers and being able to bond with them created unbreakable friendships that will last a life time. Overall, my trip was amazing. I did not know what to expect, but by far the trip exceeded any expectations that I had. The program layout was setup was very well arranged, and all of our activities were on good time and everything always worked out. I had a great time, and I strongly recommend studying or traveling abroad.

What was your funniest moment?
The funniest moment was when our group got together in one area and played card games and bonded. We laughed for hours, and strong friendships were made.
Arden

Best Thing I've Ever Done

My experience was amazing in every way shape and form. The whole thing was so well organized and my leaders could not have been more amazing people. I met the very best people, improved my Spanish and had THE most amazing time. I only wish I could do it over again. I learned so much about myself and about Argentinian culture. I made friends with people who didn't even speak my language. I still speak to them all and saying goodbye to them all was one of the hardest things I've ever done. I will never forget my experience in Argentina with The Experiment. The support in their office is excellent as well. I was helped through my application the entire time and if I ever had a question, it was answered. I could not have had a better experience.

It's perfect.
Beverly

Unforgettable experience!

Going away for four weeks did require some adjustment, but the leaders and the community made everything easier and much more exciting. Each day was filled with a new adventure, apart from community service the group was able to see a lot more of the country. We were able to be part of the culture, especially during the 10 day home-stay. The group went horseback riding, white water rafting, hiking, and biking. Not only did the kids learn about a new culture, but we learned about independence and responsibility. Definitely an unforgettable an amazing experience! I was exposed to so many amazing people, this was a great way to make new friends and even family across the globe.

More interaction with people during community service hours.
Ava

An incredible experience that I will cherish forever!

My Experiment Abroad experience in Argentina was truly amazing. It was a perfect blend of rewarding community service, experiencing the beauty and value of nature, overcoming challenges, cultural emersion, and cultivating life-long friendships. It is difficult to put into words just how grateful I am to have had this opportunity, and it is harder still to touch upon all of the aspects of my experience that made it so wonderful. I met so many incredible people both in the communities and within my group with whom I formed meaningful connections and inspired me to push towards my personal and academic goals. The many once-in-a-lifetime experiences built into the program including horseback riding and camping in the mountains, whitewater rafting, and visiting the sand dunes were definitely highlights of the trip, but what made them even more special were the people with whom I got to experience these moments. My group quickly became one big family, and together we made every moment of the experience fun and memorable. A large part of my group's success came from the love, respect, and support we all showed one another. I still keep in touch with my wonderful and loving host family and chat frequently with the members of my group. Upon returning home, I found that my Spanish language skills improved dramatically during my time in Argentina without me even realizing it, and my newfound ability to view the world through two distinct lenses has given me a heightened awareness of the word, “normal,” as I am reminded of how each person’s concept of “normal” is subjective. Thank you to The Experiment team, my fellow students, and my group leaders for making this one of the best experiences of my life.

It would be helpful to have a slightly more detailed itinerary before departing for the program to make packing and pre-departure preparations easier.
Kearra

Learning a New Language

In the beginning, the introduction of the Spanish language was eased into our daily duties, such as ordering food or buying things. Then, during the homestay is where I learned the most since my host family solely spoke Spanish. Towards the end of the trip, I was able to have full conversations. After returning home, I was surprised when I realized how much more Spanish I came back with compared to when I left. Overall, I believe it's a great way to learn a language, because of the idea of being thrown into it and having to learn.

I have no recommendations for improving this program.
Peter

An amazing experience

During my time abroad in Argentina this past summer, I learned so many valuable lessons about both myself and the world around me. This was an amazing program, from the places we stayed, to all the fun activities, as well as my fantastic group leaders. After returning, I felt like there was a whole new side of life that was available to me, and in the month that I have been back, I have become so much more aware of the world around me

I feel like It would have been nice to know more about our host family before we left.
Olivia

Amazing Experience!!

I had more fun that I ever imagined I could have during the trip. I significantly improved my Spanish skills and had the opportunity to do many unique outdoor activities, including biking, hiking, camping, horseback riding, and white-water rafting. I would definitely recommend this program for anyone with a passion for outdoor fun. The community service portion of the trip was also very fun and a great bonding experience for the group!

More group activities during homestay and more interactive community service
Guetzemany

My Second Family!

In Argentina, I learned Castilian Spanish, built better communication skills, became comfortable with the unusual and felt gratefulness. My group was very supportive when it came to one of us being homesick, having our first horse ride, and going water rafting. We all stuck together as a family and got to know each other pretty well within the time we were together. I enjoyed this program so much not only for the adventures held, but also for the community service we did in Argentina. From remodeling a school to helping out in an orphanage, we all spent an amazing time among ourselves and the people in the community. As a group, we shared our home stay and new culture experiences every time we reunited. One of the moments I will always carry with me is when my group and I agreed to creating a GoFundMe towards the orphanage and how our families voluntarily donated towards helping out the children. On the last day of our community service at the orphanage, we bought toys, groceries, new kitchen utensils and art supplies with the money we had from the fundraiser. This trip was full of friendships and memories. Revisiting Argentina is definitely on my bucket list for its welcoming culture and delicious meals. The Experiment of International Living set me with the best people out there and I cannot thank them enough for this amazing experience!

There doesn't have to be more improvement, this program was amazing!
Christie

Good Experience

We did many activities that put us out of our comfort zone. Whether it was hiking, camping out in the cold, or riding a horse for the first time, it was a challenge you had to push through. The group leaders were really helpful. I remember at first, I didn't want to do the bike ride. The last time I rode a bike was in fifth grade so I was a little hesitant. However, the group leaders really encouraged me to at least try it. In the end, I pushed through the doubt and uncertainty and went for it. The home stay was eye opening. We really got to see how people live their everyday lives. My host family was very welcoming and kind. They did their best to make me feel comfortable. My host sister helped me improve on my Spanish while I helped her with her English. As a group we were really close. This is mainly because of the little exercises our group leaders had us do. We would get paired up and have to talk about our challenges, goals, and things we overcame. We also had to say one thing we admired about each other. This way we got to know the people we were spending time with a little better. Overall, I grew a lot from this trip and got to meet many wonderful people.

We were out all the day, everyday. Although it is fun to explore, it would be nice to also have some time to rest back at the hotel.
Nicolas

Argentina: Community Service and the Great Outdoors

This program was by far one of the best experiences I have ever participated in. Everything was great; the staff, the activities, and how it was run. For me, what made the program so great were the activities we participated in and the focus of the program. My program focused on community service around Argentina and exploring the adventurous and outdoor side of Argentina. The community service was great and I loved the manual labor part of it that we did at a local police station. We were also able to work at an Elderly Persons' Home which felt very rewarding since we could really see how happy we were making the residents. As for the outdoor side of the program, everything was very fun and well run. From the whitewater rafting to the horseback riding to the bike riding. The activities were what made this program different from any others. Another great aspect of this program was the homestay. All of the families were set up and dealt with very well and everyone had a great experience. The overall program was great all around and I would definitely recommend to others.

This program can be improved only in the aspect of providing everyone with the correct protective material when doing manual labor as community service.
Ashley

Life Changing

This experience was honestly one of the best experiences of my life. I met many amazing people, and I really got the opportunity to explore another culture and have fun at the same time. The leaders were attentive of our needs, and easy to communicate with. Their relaxed personalities really allowed the group and I to live this experience to the fullest, because we felt comfortable being ourselves around them.
During my time in Argentina, the group and I did not stay in a town or city for more than three days which really kept everyone entertained, but also busy. It was cool to learn about many different places, and how each had their unique aspects even though all these towns were in one single country.
The community service aspect of this program was my favorite because the whole group was able to contribute equally, and the people made it fun to do. Working with a school and being able to meet the children who we do this for really made me realize how much we have in the United States, and how a work like the one we did really helps these communities.
As to my home stay, I absolutely loved my host family. From the first time I walked into that door I had a home-like feeling, and everyone welcomed me with hugs and kisses. I was able to have conversations quickly, and got to share different aspects of my own culture to them as well.
Argentina was a wonderful experience that made my summer amazing. I am planning on returning, but I could repeat this summer program, I would do it in a heartbeat.

I would have liked to have a little bit more personal time and some rest days.
Lauribeth

Argentina experience

Going to Argentina was one of the most life changing experience for me. It was the first time I would be away from my family for so long and just be among my peers mostly. I loved every moment of the trip because there were so many things I could discover due to the fact that I do not know anything about Argentina.

I really loved my host family as well. They treated me well and shared all their special dishes and love for me. I was always happy with my host family because we did a lot of activities and there was never a dull moment at home.

The rest of the trip was amazing. I made some really great friends and had life changing experiences.

Having more choices for food.
Bianca

Amazing!

I had an amazing time in Argentina, I met great people and loved my host family. They paired the host families to each family perfectly and every single student in my group agreed. We went out to explore the city and various towns and enjoyed every single moment of it. The group leaders were the sweetest and took care of us as if we were their own. They always made sure everyone was included in the group and had a lot of fun with us!

To just check up on the people who work for the program in the other countries!

Alumni Interviews

About The Experiment in International Living

The Experiment in International Living is the most experienced provider of summer abroad programs for high school students. For more than 85 years, our immersive programs have allowed participants to explore the world in an authentic and impactful...