Tico Lingo's Teen Spanish Immersion Summer Camp in Costa Rica

Combining intensive Spanish classes, daily cultural activities, and weekend adventure tours, the Teen Spanish camp fully immerses students in Costa Rican culture and community.

The camp emphasises studying and acquiring Spanish through cultural immersion. Students will not only walk away with an increased level of Spanish, but also a new worldly and cultural perspective on life… and an adventure to share with everyone back home!

• Take weekend excursions to rainforests, waterfalls, and volcanos.
  • Gain Spanish fluency by living with a local family and seeing the real way of life in Costa Rica.
  • Meet and study Spanish with other students your age from all over the world.
  • Partake in afternoon activities at the school.
  • Meet locals who are learning English during weekly conversation class where English and Spanish learners are grouped to practice speaking skills.

Great question! Once you send a message or press Apply Now, the provider of this program will receive your message or application, and guide you to the next step. All you have to do is fill out a few details! The entire process should only take a few days and every message will appear in your personal inbox.

You will know within the next few days.

Your message will be sent to the provider who runs this program! You will receive a personal email as well as a message in your Go Overseas Inbox (top right of the page, "Inbox") once the provider responds to your question. At any point, you can ask more questions by pressing View within your Go Overseas Inbox.

Kennedy

Best experience! Would highly recommend!

Going to Costa Rico and being a part of the teen Tico Lingo camp was one of the best experiences that I will always remember. I was 16 when I went, so I was still young and not use to being away from my family for so long! The staff were all very supportive and understanding that Costa Rica was a new environment for the teens and went out of their way to make us feel like we were apart of the Tico Lingo family. The life time relationships I have made through this program is unforgettable! I absolutely would 100% recommend!

What was your funniest moment?
Going white water rafting and seeing sloths in the same day! That was one of the best days!
Nel

My camp in Costa Rica

I learned way more Spanish doing this camp than I did in highschool. Speaking with natives really makes a difference. My family was amazing and the Spanish classes we're pretty intense but we were challenged and my classmates enjoyed it. It was just an overall great positive experience. I'm over 18 now, but I'd love to go back and sign up for the adult program. The teen camp was everything i needed to get used to living in a new place. There was so much support from the staff. Activities were fun, I liked the cooking classes with Profesora Helen! My teacher Oscar was so so cool. We still stay in touch on Whatsapp and he helps e with Spanish questions when I have them. Would highly recommend this camp to anyone looking for an adventure and wanting to drastically improve their Spanish speaking skills. Gracias!

Erick

Such and awesome experience!! Want to go back!!

I did this camp in 2019 and loved loved loved it! I was planning on going in 2020, but... the pandemic didn't allow for it. I loved meeting students from all over the world, learning spanish in this cool little costa rica town, doing all the activities. Dance class was actually pretty fun. I learned so so so much more Spanish than I learned in a whole year of highschool Spanish 2. It's like a completely different experience when you're living with a family and needing to speak the language to ask for something to eat! lol. I hope I can go back in 2021. Miss my homestay family and my teacher and heredia! pura vida tico lingo is awesome!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
on our first day we had to try new fruits we had never seen. I picked one that looked like a passion fruit but it was called a Granadiya. IT was delicious!! :)
Riley

Best trip ever!

This trip was amazing! My host family was welcoming and my teacher was so helpful! I only was able to go for the three week teen program but I totally wish I could have gone for longer. The weekend trips were so much fun and I definitely was able to improve my Spanish! I was able to go to Manuel Antonio which was an amazing national park and I was able to see monkeys, sloths, and iguanas. That was super cool. I would highly recommend purchasing a waterproof pouch before you go. These are definatly memories that I will take with me for the rest of my life. In my host house there were two other girls and just down the street there were two other kids in the program. My street had so many little kids and I had an amazing time getting to know them and help them with their English homework.

By making the teen program longer and by having board games for students to play
Cassidy

An Amazing Immersion Experience

My time at Tico Lingo was absolutely amazing. As a sixteen-year-old high school student, this was my first experience with any sort of study-abroad program (and my first time traveling anywhere on my own), and it did not disappoint! From the moment I arrived to the moment I left, I could not have been happier or more satisfied with this program. Despite having taken Spanish classes in the US for three years, I did not feel at all confident speaking the language-- on the first day, I could barely communicate, let alone understand what my homestay family was saying! However, by the end of the program, my speaking abilities had vastly improved and I could both speak and understand with relative ease.
I arrived in Heredia thinking I would only be there for two weeks. However, by the third day, I’d fallen in love with my homestay family, my newfound friends, and the city itself. A few phone calls later, I had arranged to stay for a month. I found that Heredia was the perfect setting to practice Spanish-- the locals were extremely patient and friendly, and were always willing to strike up a conversation. More importantly, however, my homestay family was incredible. The entire family's amazingly welcoming demeanor made me feel like I was a family member right from the start. Chris and Karen were also wonderful, and were always there to help the students with anything we needed.
The teachers were fantastic. Each had their own style and manner of teaching, and all three were incredibly helpful and friendly. Ana Lorena's kind, patient, and encouraging demeanor was perfect, especially for the first few days, when I felt overwhelmed by my lack of understanding. After I felt comfortable with the material she was covering, I was able to move into Lucia's class, which was filled with discussion, question-and-answer activities, and constant conversation. Lucia's teaching style was a perfect blend of grammar and real-world applications, and she did an amazing job of giving context to her lessons, making them memorable and easily understandable. During my last week at Tico Lingo, I moved into Freddy's class. Freddy was very patient and professional, with a great sense of humor, and his class was far more grammar-intensive than the former two. I learned an incredible amount in just a few days with him, which was perfectly paced after the three weeks spent building a strong foundation for my Spanish. After a month of classes, I found that my Spanish abilities skyrocketed; whereas before I struggled to articulate my thoughts, speaking now came naturally.
This program was a wonderful learning experience. Thank you so much to Chris, Karen, my teachers, and my homestay family! I hope to come back next year! ¡Pura vida!

Camilla

Great spanish immersion program!

I had an amazing experience with Tico Lingo. I was completed immersed in the Costa Rican culture and spanish language while living with an incredibly friendly host family. The school is in an excellent location; being a solo young female I never once felt that I was in any danger. Heredia always felt safe to me. Everybody at the school is extremely kind and helpful. I went into the program knowing practically no spanish and I left (after 3 weeks) feeling that I could comfortably travel throughout a spanish speaking country without any issues. The school, host family, city, and teachers exceeded all my thoughts and expectations in the best way possible!