Tico Lingo's Teen Spanish Immersion Summer Camp in Costa Rica

Chris Reidy Profile Picture
Tico Lingo
Project Coordinator: Chris

About This Program

The Teen Spanish Immersion Summer Camp runs for three weeks and combines intensive Spanish classes, local homestay accommodation, daily cultural activities, and weekend excursions.

It’s an all-inclusive program that offers teens everything they’ll need to learn, immerse, and walk away with the adventure of a lifetime. Each three week camp will be limited to 12 students and have a dedicated program chaperone and homestay.

• Take weekend excursions to rainforests, waterfalls, and volcanos.
  • Gain Spanish fluency by living with a local family and seeing the real way of life in Costa Rica.
  • Meet and study Spanish with other students your age from all over the world.
  • Partake in afternoon activities at the school
  • Meet locals who are learning English during weekly conversation class where English and Spanish learners are grouped to practice speaking skills.

PROGRAM PERKS:

- Take 20 hours of Spanish class Monday through Friday and live with a local family that provide breakfast, dinner, wifi, and laundry.
- Partake in daily activities like dance and cooking class, yoga instruction, and local soccer games while enjoying a hearty lunch every day at the school
- A friendly face will be there to pick you up and drop you off. Likewise you’ll be provided with a local cellphone for emergency support while here with us in Heredia.
-Two all-day, all-inclusive weekend tours are included in the program. Join us on a volcano hike, a rafting trip, or a walk through the jungle to look for monkeys and sloths!

DAY IN THE LIFE:

Evenings:
Checkin & Dinner with Homesetay
Pick-up Soccer Games on Thurs
Conversation Class with locals on Weds

Saturday activities include beach trips and a rafting tour, Sundays are for relaxing and exploring.

What's Included
  • 4 hours/day of intensive Spanish classes
  • Homestay Accommodation – 2 meals/day, laundry, wifi
  • Daily cultural activities; dance, yoga, art, cooking, soccer
  • Daily lunch provided at the school
  • 2 All-Day weekend adventure tours
  • Airport pickup and dropoff
  • Afternoon service projects upon request
  • Small classrooms (max. 6)
  • Oral exam to ensure proper Spanish leveling
  • Conversational classes with local Costa Ricans
  • Tour and map of Heredia and surrounding area
What's Not Included
  • International Flights
  • Travel Insurance

To truly immerse its students in Costa Rican culture, Tico Lingo provides each student the opportunity to live with a local family. Located within walking distance of Tico Lingo, each homestay family offers students endless occasions to practice “real life” Spanish.

Beyond the benefits to students, the program also benefits the local families involved with the program. 90% of student payment goes directly to the families hosting. We at Tico Lingo aim to give back to our community as much as we can and promise to only withhold 10% of costs for relative overhead and organizational fees.

- Each Homestay will come with a private room, desk, and closet to store clothes.

- Every Homestay is equipped with wifi so students can contact friends and family back home.

- Once a week, laundry will be collected, washed, and folded for the student.

Meals

Fresh fruits and vegetables aplenty! Costa Rican cuisine is known to be nutritionally well rounded, always cooked from scratch, and loaded with the many exotic fruits and vegetables readily available locally. Traditional meals have a home-cooked, comforting feel to them and with the Homestay Program you’ll be given two meals a day, breakfast and dinner.

Morning breakfast is served at 7am and dinner is usually served around 6:30pm.

Pricing and Availability

• Instruction 10
Cassidy

An Amazing Immersion Experience

My time at Tico Lingo was absolutely amazing. As a sixteen-year-old high school student, this was my first experience with any sort of study-abroad program (and my first time traveling anywhere on my own), and it did not disappoint! From the moment I arrived to the moment I left, I could not have been happier or more satisfied with this program. Despite having taken Spanish classes in the US for three years, I did not feel at all confident speaking the language-- on the first day, I could barely communicate, let alone understand what my homestay family was saying! However, by the end of the program, my speaking abilities had vastly improved and I could both speak and understand with relative ease.
I arrived in Heredia thinking I would only be there for two weeks. However, by the third day, I’d fallen in love with my homestay family, my newfound friends, and the city itself. A few phone calls later, I had arranged to stay for a month. I found that Heredia was the perfect setting to practice Spanish-- the locals were extremely patient and friendly, and were always willing to strike up a conversation. More importantly, however, my homestay family was incredible. The entire family's amazingly welcoming demeanor made me feel like I was a family member right from the start. Chris and Karen were also wonderful, and were always there to help the students with anything we needed.
The teachers were fantastic. Each had their own style and manner of teaching, and all three were incredibly helpful and friendly. Ana Lorena's kind, patient, and encouraging demeanor was perfect, especially for the first few days, when I felt overwhelmed by my lack of understanding. After I felt comfortable with the material she was covering, I was able to move into Lucia's class, which was filled with discussion, question-and-answer activities, and constant conversation. Lucia's teaching style was a perfect blend of grammar and real-world applications, and she did an amazing job of giving context to her lessons, making them memorable and easily understandable. During my last week at Tico Lingo, I moved into Freddy's class. Freddy was very patient and professional, with a great sense of humor, and his class was far more grammar-intensive than the former two. I learned an incredible amount in just a few days with him, which was perfectly paced after the three weeks spent building a strong foundation for my Spanish. After a month of classes, I found that my Spanish abilities skyrocketed; whereas before I struggled to articulate my thoughts, speaking now came naturally.
This program was a wonderful learning experience. Thank you so much to Chris, Karen, my teachers, and my homestay family! I hope to come back next year! ¡Pura vida!

Camilla

Great spanish immersion program!

I had an amazing experience with Tico Lingo. I was completed immersed in the Costa Rican culture and spanish language while living with an incredibly friendly host family. The school is in an excellent location; being a solo young female I never once felt that I was in any danger. Heredia always felt safe to me. Everybody at the school is extremely kind and helpful. I went into the program knowing practically no spanish and I left (after 3 weeks) feeling that I could comfortably travel throughout a spanish speaking country without any issues. The school, host family, city, and teachers exceeded all my thoughts and expectations in the best way possible!